Yes.
19 (38.8%)
No.
25 (51%)
I'm not sure.
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 16, 2009, 11:33:47 AM

Author Topic: What Do You All Think Of Halloween?  (Read 46074 times)

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Should Halloween be banned?
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
Thanks  Take back, and the others dan and yes  BullcatLOL.I believe the time has come for us to unite and not divide.Smile! ;)

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2007, 09:40:01 PM »
Thank You takebackourtemple.
Sorry that I quoted it. 
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2007, 09:42:19 PM »
Smile! ;)

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2007, 10:43:35 PM »
In a sense Halloween is being banned in our public schools.
It is no longer called Halloween by the schools in our district - and many districts where I live.  
It is called Harvest Day!   :o
Thanks to the wellness policy - they aren't allowed to have treats in school.  
Costumes are not allowed.
It seems to me they're taking all the fun out of being a kid.  :'(
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Joe Schmo

« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2007, 10:49:38 PM »
It is no longer called Halloween by the schools in our district - and many districts where I live.  
It is called Harvest Day!   :o
It seems to me they're taking all the fun out of being a kid.  :'(

Very true.

I think that Halloween should be banned in Israel, but in America?

Some of my best childhood memories were of trick-or-treating.

The times they are a changin'.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2007, 10:58:19 PM »
It is called Harvest Day!   :o
It seems to me they're taking all the fun out of being a kid.  :'(

Very true.

A Jew does not worship the holidays of a non-Jew especially a Pagan holiday
KAHANE TZADAK!

Joe Schmo

« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2007, 11:01:02 PM »

Very true.

What about non-Jews, In AMERICA?

And I'm not talking about worship, I'm talking about kids dressed up in costumes and having fun.

You damn grinch.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2007, 11:05:24 PM »

Very true.

What about non-Jews, In AMERICA?

And I'm not talking about worship, I'm talking about kids dressed up in costumes and having fun.

You damn grinch.
non-Jews fine, and I'm not a grinch, we Jews have many celebratory holidays, Simchat Torah wasn't too long ago and Chanukah is coming up
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2007, 11:10:22 PM »
As times come to an end .More and more Christians in America abandoned this perverse holiday.The six of us did 10 years ago.My kids today asked can we dress up and my answer was yes its called a costume party ...Which I love ;) :)

Joe Schmo

« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2007, 11:12:23 PM »
As times come to an end .More and more Christians in America abandoned this perverse holiday.The six of us did 10 years ago.My kids today asked can we dress up and my answer was yes its called a costume party ...Which I love ;) :)

This holiday existed back in the days when America was GREAT.  It couldn't be all bad!   >:(

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2007, 11:15:49 PM »
Fun is fun!We just leave any religious connotations behind.Smile! O0

Kiwi

« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2007, 11:18:57 PM »
I put yes I seen more bad things happen from that than good. And I hate seeing the stuff being sold in the shops here >:(

Bad bad bad practice! 

Joe Schmo

« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2007, 11:20:49 PM »
I put yes I seen more bad things happen from that than good. And I hate seeing the stuff being sold in the shops here >:(

Bad bad bad practice! 

Where do you live?

Kiwi

« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2007, 11:22:38 PM »

Bad bad bad practice! 

Where do you live?

Australia, and thank god its seen as an American thing and slow to be adopted.

Joe Schmo

« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2007, 11:24:20 PM »
Bad bad bad practice! 

Where do you live?
Australia, and thank G-d its seen as an American thing and slow to be adopted.

Aussies couldn't possibly understand.  Its an American thing. 

Kiwi

« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2007, 11:37:43 PM »
Bad bad bad practice! 

Where do you live?

Well its not an American thing they just stole it and used it to have easy access to little children on the street.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
LOL Aussie!I mean I did as a kid enjoy it but I was ignorant of its meanies.But I don't think heaven and hell are worried as much about this topic as we.....But I could be wrong! :)

Joe Schmo

« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
Bad bad bad practice! 

Where do you live?

Well its not an American thing they just stole it and used it to have easy access to little children on the street.

Don't be silly.  Halloween is an American creation, for American people.

This is like what would happen if you took 10,000 kangaroos and transplanted them to Arizona.  They might survive, but something wouldn't be just right.

Kiwi

« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
Bad bad bad practice! 

Where do you live?

Don't be silly.  Halloween is an American creation, for American people.

This is like what would happen if you took 10,000 kangaroos and transplanted them to Arizona.  They might survive, but something wouldn't be just right.

God you are so friggin easy  :::D

Halloween's origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in).

The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.

To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities.

During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other's fortunes. When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter.

By A.D. 43, Romans had conquered the majority of Celtic territory. In the course of the four hundred years that they ruled the Celtic lands, two festivals of Roman origin were combined with the traditional Celtic celebration of Samhain.

The first was Feralia, a day in late October when the Romans traditionally commemorated the passing of the dead. The second was a day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple and the incorporation of this celebration into Samhain probably explains the tradition of "bobbing" for apples that is practiced today on Halloween.

By the 800s, the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween. Even later, in A.D. 1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints', All Saints', and All Souls', were called Hallowmas.

::) :D ;D

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2007, 11:45:25 PM »
LOL :::D

Kiwi

« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2007, 11:47:25 PM »
This is like what would happen if you took 10,000 kangaroos and transplanted them to Arizona.  They might survive, but something wouldn't be just right.

Would you like me to FedX them to you  ;)

Joe Schmo

« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2007, 11:49:38 PM »
Bad bad bad practice! 

Where do you live?

G-d you are so friggin easy  :::D

Halloween's origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in).
The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.
To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities.
During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other's fortunes. When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter.
By C.E.  43, Romans had conquered the majority of Celtic territory. In the course of the four hundred years that they ruled the Celtic lands, two festivals of Roman origin were combined with the traditional Celtic celebration of Samhain.
The first was Feralia, a day in late October when the Romans traditionally commemorated the passing of the dead. The second was a day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple and the incorporation of this celebration into Samhain probably explains the tradition of "bobbing" for apples that is practiced today on Halloween.
By the 800s, the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween. Even later, in C.E.  1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints', All Saints', and All Souls', were called Hallowmas.

I'm talking about the American definition of Halloween, not some historical jargon with no relevance to this discussion.

I'm talking about kids, dressed in costumes, going out at night for fun.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:10:32 PM by Scriabin »

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2007, 11:51:13 PM »
Silly how would you buy enough boxes?Aussies, all crooks they are.Your trying to rob us ? :::D

Kiwi

« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2007, 11:52:44 PM »
Bad bad bad practice! 

Where do you live?

G-d you are so friggin easy  :::D

By C.E.  43, Romans had conquered the majority of Celtic territory. In the course of the four hundred years that they ruled the Celtic lands, two festivals of Roman origin were combined with the traditional Celtic celebration of Samhain.
By the 800s, the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween. Even later, in C.E.  1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints', All Saints', and All Souls', were called Hallowmas.

I'm talking about the American definition of Halloween, not some historical jargon with no relevance to this discussion.

I'm talking about kids, dressed in costumes, going out at night for fun.

You're a troll.   This is my opinion.

Does mean you don't love me anymore  :-\ :::D

The subject was should halloween be banned, I answered it.

:-*

Kiwi

« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2007, 11:53:58 PM »
Silly how would you buy enough boxes?Aussies, all crooks they are.Your trying to rob us ? :::D

I can buy enough boxes, i have your credit card number  ^-^ :::D