Author Topic: Ben Askren Vs Douglas Lima MMA fight. video  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
Ben Askren Vs Douglas Lima MMA fight. video
« on: February 24, 2021, 11:10:09 PM »
Ben Askren was my favorite Jewish MMA fighter.  He was an Olympic wrestler.  At one point,  in his prime, Ben Askren was unstoppable.  Here he is  fighting a massive welter weight, Douglas Lima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_niaJXgTaWY

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Ben Askren Vs Douglas Lima MMA fight. video
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 01:45:48 PM »
Rabbis I talked to don't want to get into a daily battle fitness routine because they say you see with the asians it became all about that. Theyre right of course, but the risks of lack of physical fitness indicate that we are in dangerous waters regardless and must simply navigate them.

I don't know what to propose yet.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 03:15:13 PM »
It is forbidden to participate in sports where it is the aim to hurt another person. This is from Torah.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 04:59:33 PM »
It is forbidden to participate in sports where it is the aim to hurt another person. This is from Torah.

Sport format is pointless. The fighting styles are designed to be pretty and non-lethal. There are plenty of vids of mma dighters getting beat up by a crew of street thugs.

Sport fighting is like catch and release fishing, also forbidden. If you must cause pain there must be demonstrable benefit. A fighting style with everything banned by the ufc and the dirtiest insta kill or disable moves. Training should be for combat efficiency.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 05:21:55 AM »
Ben Askren was my favorite Jewish MMA fighter.  He was an Olympic wrestler.  At one point,  in his prime, Ben Askren was unstoppable.  Here he is  fighting a massive welter weight, Douglas Lima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_niaJXgTaWY

I didn't know he was Jewish.  He was a great champion.  I really think he got unlucky against Masvidal and otherwise would have won that match with his grappling.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 09:09:36 AM »
I didn't know he was Jewish.  He was a great champion.  I really think he got unlucky against Masvidal and otherwise would have won that match with his grappling.

He really did get unlucky against Masdival.  Do you think Askren would have a chance against Kabib if they fought at a 170 pounds.  Ben had hip surgery and is now 36 years old.   He says he has no more back and hip pain, since the surgery.   Kabib is 32. 

I think Askren would only have a chance at a 170 pounds.  I think Kabib would refuse to fight at 170.  He dominates at  the 155 pound light weight division.   I think Kabib would win even at 170.  At least  90% chance.  I think Askren is past his prime at 36.  32 years old is prime in MMA.  I know Kabib retired, it's a hypothetical.

I didn't know he was either.  Ariel Helwani was interviewing him, and told Askren "Mazel Tov" on your win. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 09:37:25 AM by Aces High »

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 03:09:47 PM »
Helwani may just be saying mazel tov because Helwani is Jewish.  I've seen him say that to others as a congratulations and they take it in stride but are not Jewish themselves.   We need clarification on the Askren question!