Should Columbus Day be banned?

Yes
2 (8%)
No
20 (80%)
Not sure
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Should Columbus Day be banned?  (Read 14667 times)

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
Should Columbus Day be banned?
« on: October 07, 2007, 04:55:50 PM »
I don't know how to set up a poll here. But while we're on the topic of discussing the banning of holidays, then why not have some fun with the idea off banning Columbus Day. After all, there was nothing too special about him. First off, that claim that Columbus set off to sail to prove that the earth was round and not flat was complete BS. Also, Columbus didn't "discover" America. And what he thought he discovered, he wrongly concluded that it was India. (makes me wonder why so many people still refer to Native Americans as American Indians to this day) I personally think the day should be called Amerigo Vespucci Day since he's the one that got things right and that's why we're called America instead of Columbia.

But hey, if it gives another day off from work, I'm not complaining too much :)

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Should Columbus Day be banned?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »
I don't know how to set up a poll here. But while we're on the topic of discussing the banning of holidays, then why not have some fun with the idea off banning Columbus Day. After all, there was nothing too special about him. First off, that claim that Columbus set off to sail to prove that the earth was round and not flat was complete BS. Also, Columbus didn't "discover" America. And what he thought he discovered, he wrongly concluded that it was India. (makes me wonder why so many people still refer to Native Americans as American Indians to this day) I personally think the day should be called Amerigo Vespucci Day since he's the one that got things right and that's why we're called America instead of Columbia.

You can always tell a true liberal when they start bashing Columbus. If we can have a national holiday for a degenerate monkey radical we can have one for Columbus!
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 05:02:46 PM »
Columbus Day is not named after him...it's named after Columbus, Ohio.

And besides, on the very day when Columbus discovered America, millions of redskin Indians lined up on the coasts and beaches, all waving American flags, and chanting "Viva! Columbus!" "Viva! Columbus!" "Viva! Columbus!" "El dia de Columbus!"

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 05:05:58 PM »
Columbus Day is not named after him...it's named after Columbus, Ohio.

And besides, on the very day when Columbus discovered America, millions of redskin Indians lined up on the coasts and beaches, all waving American flags, and chanting "Viva! Columbus!" "Viva! Columbus!" "Viva! Columbus!" "El dia de Columbus!"

Yes and the buffalo roamed and the deer and the antelope played :D

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 05:22:30 PM »
Columbus maybe not discovered America; but unlike Phoenicians or Greenland Normans sell the idea to colonise and civilise it to Europeans; so thanks to him alone you colonists can bash us old worlders . ::) ;D
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 05:37:41 PM »
What? What a ridiculous question. If one holiday should be banned it's Martin Luther King Day. Christopher Columbus was a brilliant explorer, who deserves to be commenorated for his revolutionary exploits.

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 05:44:09 PM »
i do not work tomorrow, so i say no :D :D
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

kellymaureen

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 05:51:32 PM »
I do work and its double time and a half so I also say no ;D

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 06:00:40 PM »
Many companies pay time and a half for working holidays ;D not bad
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 06:11:49 PM »

Y'know what? I'm tired of the Native American's bitching about how they were conquered and lost their lands. THEY WEREN't DOING ANYTHING WITH IT!

They spent thousands of years butt-nekkid running around living in the stone age, and they would have continued for thousands more that way if the Europeans didn't show up.

Well, I prefer the modern world thank you very much. So now, Native Americans, shaddup, stop bitching, and let me know when the cocktail bar opens by the blackjack tables!  8)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 06:16:07 PM »

Y'know what? I'm tired of the Native American's bitching about how they were conquered and lost their lands. THEY WEREN't DOING ANYTHING WITH IT!

They spent thousands of years butt-nekkid running around living in the stone age, and they would have continued for thousands more that way if the Europeans didn't show up.

Well, I prefer the modern world thank you very much. So now, Native Americans, shaddup, stop bitching, and let me know when the cocktail bar opens by the blackjack tables!  8)
Exactly!! Could not have said it better myself!

kellymaureen

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 06:17:53 PM »

;D :D :D

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »
Columbus day,HEY three of my granddaddies are from Italy so I say let it roll.AS for the native Americans They were killing each other before we got here  and they only complain cause the white  man kicked their arse.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 07:35:31 PM »
I added a poll so we can see what people think......
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 07:49:51 PM »

You can always tell a true liberal when they start bashing Columbus. If we can have a national holiday for a degenerate monkey radical we can have one for Columbus!

Hey, first of all, I'm not bashing Columbus. Secondly, I don't believe we should have Martin Luther King day either (if that's who you are referring to here.) They're historical figures worthy of a day or two to learn about in school, but not worthy of any national holidays.

Also, I wasn't doing this to be a "true liberal." (Besides, it's the liberal education system which created these myths and over inflates his credits), I just figure while we're voting and discussing the banning of Halloween, Football, and Swedish Meatballs, why not have a little more fun by extending it to this?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 07:51:55 PM by Daniel »

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »

I've never gotten off from class on Columbus Day in my life. But some times I took off because it fell on Yom Kippur. My high school gave off for Rosh Hashana for Yom Kippur so they might have given off for Columbus Day if it fell on Yom Kippur while I was in high school. Columbus Day in Canada is Thanksgiving. This is appropriate since it many times coincides with Sukkot, the Fall harvest holiday that Thanksgiving is fashioned after. For example last year, the first day of Chol Hamoed was Columbus Day.

Yes, sometimes the Jewish holidays and American holidays coincide with each other, and we end up losing those extra days off work, especially working for the school system. Several years ago, both Rosh Hashana fell out on a weekend, and Yom Kippur fell out on the same day as Columbus Day. So we got no extra days off at all! To add insult to injury, Christmas fell out in a way so that we received exactly a week off for winter break and not a day more like is usually done, not that I'm expecting any sympathy from the non-teaching folk :)

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 08:00:59 PM »

I've never gotten off from class on Columbus Day in my life. But some times I took off because it fell on Yom Kippur. My high school gave off for Rosh Hashana for Yom Kippur so they might have given off for Columbus Day if it fell on Yom Kippur while I was in high school. Columbus Day in Canada is Thanksgiving. This is appropriate since it many times coincides with Sukkot, the Fall harvest holiday that Thanksgiving is fashioned after. For example last year, the first day of Chol Hamoed was Columbus Day.

Yes, sometimes the Jewish holidays and American holidays coincide with each other, and we end up losing those extra days off work, especially working for the school system. Several years ago, both Rosh Hashana fell out on a weekend, and Yom Kippur fell out on the same day as Columbus Day. So we got no extra days off at all! To add insult to injury, Christmas fell out in a way so that we received exactly a week off for winter break and not a day more like is usually done, not that I'm expecting any sympathy from the non-teaching folk :)
You get the whole summer off.....
I do to, but I'm a student so its different :-D
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 08:05:23 PM »

Wow! So not only should the blacks not [censored] and should be thankful about slavery and should actually be thankful that we took him here as slaves. But you're using the same type of mentality about the Native Americans! I don't think it's fair or reasonable to expect any people to welcome and be thankful for any outside invaders coming in and conquering and killing them. By that stretch of logic, the Jews shoulda stopped bitching about being exiled from Israel and shoulda just accepted and been thankful for what happened.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 08:19:56 PM »

Hey, first of all, I'm not bashing Columbus. Secondly, I don't believe we should have Martin Luther King day either (if that's who you are referring to here.) They're historical figures worthy of a day or two to learn about in school, but not worthy of any national holidays.

Also, I wasn't doing this to be a "true liberal." (Besides, it's the liberal education system which created these myths and over inflates his credits), I just figure while we're voting and discussing the banning of Halloween, Football, and Swedish Meatballs, why not have a little more fun by extending it to this?
For hundreds of years Columbus place in history was fine and dandy until the liberals decided he didn't fit into their self hating picture of how the white man screwed the savage Injun. Now by extension blacks have also picked up the gauntlet against Columbus. While I personally don't think Columbus was evil I do think that black animal MLK was. I am old enough to have seen most of MLK's under handed and subversive tactics how he would preach one thing and have his minions do another. I hope to see the day that they unseal his files and if it has not been sanitized people will see just what sort of low life they gave a national holiday to. Its funny how it dawned on you to ban Columbus but Not MLK. That fact is very telling.  Every time the holiday to King (MLK) rolls around all that comes to my mind is how he and his evil animals looted and burned down half the cities in the country back in the 60's under the guise of gaining civil rights. Something that they were in the process of getting with or without King anyway. For this they see fit to give him a national holiday.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 08:20:19 PM »

Life's rough isn't it  :o.  Your posts in this thread are straight out of the handbook for liberal teachers.  I'm sorry that is redundant isn't it?  ;)

My daughter's MUSIC teacher taught them all about evil Christopher Columbus last year.  How inappropriate is that?  How is that discussion part of a 2nd grade music class curriculum?  If you teachers have an axe to grind with Chris Columbus take it up with the Federal Government first before you take it up with children.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 08:24:26 PM »

Life's rough isn't it  :o.  Your posts in this thread are straight out of the handbook for liberal teachers.  I'm sorry that is redundant isn't it?  ;)

My daughter's MUSIC teacher taught them all about evil Christopher Columbus last year.  How inappropriate is that?  How is that discussion part of a 2nd grade music class curriculum?  If you teachers have an axe to grind with Chris Columbus take it up with the Federal Government first before you take it up with children.

This is why America is in the condition its in with rocket scientist teachers like that twisting the poor kids minds with their liberal cr=p. That teacher should have been told to go and ...... anyway you get the idea.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 09:02:06 PM »
Let me make one thing perfectly clear. I never said that Christopher Columbus was evil. Since I'm a speech-language therapist, I don't even teach them anything about Columbus, unless there's a way of tying it in with their language issues. What I'm trying to point out is that it is the liberal education system that created all of the myths about Columbus regarding how the King thought the world was flat and that Columbus sought out to sail the world for the purpose of proving that the world was round. That's all a myth. The real history is that Columbus wanted to sail around the world in the opposite direction to get to India so they wouldn't have to worry about China interfering with them. The King's grievance wasn't that the world was flat and the Columbus was going to fall off the edge of the earth. The real grievance is that the world was too big for him to sail all the way around world in the other direction. Columbus thought he landed in India which he didn't. So he was mistaken about where he landed as well as underestimating the size of the world. It was Amerigo Vespucci that recognized that this was a new continent and not India, and that's why we are called America instead of Columbia today.

But keep in mind, I'm not bashing Columbus. I created this poll to be facetious in light of all of the other silly polls being discussed right now. So ha ha, don't take this poll seriously.

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 11:08:17 PM »
As Tony Soprano said: "It's a day of Italian Pride". So, no I don't think Columbus Day should be banned, besides in some years my birthday falls on that day, and I get the day off.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 11:12:46 PM »
Were just offering an offer you cant refuse.LOL

kellymaureen

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 11:13:10 PM »
 :D