Poll

Should Valentine's Day be banned?

Yes, for everyone.
7 (31.8%)
Yes, for Jews and Noahides.
2 (9.1%)
It should have pagan routes such as Cupid removed and made into a real Christian holiday emphasizing St. Valentine but be banned for Non-Christians.
0 (0%)
No.
13 (59.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Should Valentine's Day be banned?  (Read 23810 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Should Valentine's Day be banned?
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2008, 05:38:39 PM »
Then celebrate your wedding anniversary, not a pagan holiday with roots in the pagan "g-d" Cupid.

Yacov, you have no right to tell Skippy how to enjoy the company of her significant other. Every day should be reserved for loving your spouse, girlfriend or boyfriend, but it is so special to share one day of the year when you can open up to, spend time with, and share with your lover. Love in a monogamous relationship is actually a GOOD thing, Yacov. Do you have something against it?

It's a matter of principle. And Skippy is Jewish so she shouldn't be celebrating religious holidays of other religions. G-d makes the laws, not affirmative action "Imericas".

Valentine's day is not a religious holiday...it's an american tradition like new years is one...

Notice I never said anyting about it being ok for Jews to celebrate it...but don't tell non Jews that they shouldn't...that's none of our business...

Yaacov, stick with the Jews...leave the gentiles alone.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2008, 05:42:08 PM »
it should be banned for single people who can't attract people of the opposite sex.

You're Jewish so it shouldn't even be an issue for you. Jews should not celebrate holidays of other religions.

I'll reiterate...it should only be banned by single people who are incapable of attracting a member of the opposite sex.

You host a Jewish dating show. This way of thinking is contrary to proper Jewish dating. Jews are supposed to date for the intent of marriage. And even within marriage, Jews should not celebrate pagan holidays nor holidays of any other Non-Jewish religion.

I never said it was ok for Jews to celebrate Valentine's day..

furthermore I was joking about it being banned for single people...

It's just funny to me that most single people want to ban Valentine's day because they have no significant other to celebrate it with...so in some of their minds they think, "Let's ban the holiday so nobody can have fun."

As far as jews...Jews should really only celebrate Jewish holidays..

However, all Jews are not in Israel...we are a discombobulated people...therefore, rather than banning, we should discourage Jews from celebrating non Jewish holidays...not BAN them...we don't live in a police state...We aren't dictators...and saying the word 'ban' just makes us look really dumb and unpopular and we'll never bcome a mass movement wtih that type of silly language.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Just Erica

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2008, 05:42:32 PM »
Then celebrate your wedding anniversary, not a pagan holiday with roots in the pagan "g-d" Cupid.

Yacov, you have no right to tell Skippy how to enjoy the company of her significant other. Every day should be reserved for loving your spouse, girlfriend or boyfriend, but it is so special to share one day of the year when you can open up to, spend time with, and share with your lover. Love in a monogamous relationship is actually a GOOD thing, Yacov. Do you have something against it?

It's a matter of principle. And Skippy is Jewish so she shouldn't be celebrating religious holidays of other religions. G-d makes the laws, not affirmative action "Imericas".

You pass judgement on people showing love for their SO's and then accuse ME of making a law? I never pretended to claim that people should celebrate Valentine's day because I celebrate it. And just because I'm in love with my husband and like showing that love with a rose, candy, or whatever, doesn't make me Affirmative Action. Get a girlfriend, please.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 05:43:10 PM »

Valentine's day is not a religious holiday...it's an American tradition like new years is one...

Notice I never said anyting about it being ok for Jews to celebrate it...but don't tell non Jews that they shouldn't...that's none of our business...

It's not an American tradition. It's a European tradition that spread to other countries. If you want a real American tradition, try The Fourth of July or Thanksgiving, which are not pagan holidays.

The Secular New Year is a Christian holiday but when celebrate as a Secular holiday with partying, sex, and getting drunk, it is reverting the pagan Pre-Christian roots of the holiday.

For many years Americans have been celebrating this holiday...big deal if it came from Europe..now it is part of american tradition...You're not going to change anything, yaacov...so swallow your pride and deal with it.

Just Erica

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2008, 05:46:32 PM »

Valentine's day is not a religious holiday...it's an American tradition like new years is one...

It's not an American tradition. It's a European tradition that spread to other countries. If you want a real American tradition, try The Fourth of July or Thanksgiving, which are not pagan holidays.

The Secular New Year is a Christian holiday but when celebrated as a Secular holiday with partying, sex, and getting drunk, it is reverting the pagan Pre-Christian roots of the holiday.

Now you're associating celebrating the New Year as a time for let's see, "HAving sex with people" (I don't know where you got that idea), and getting drunk? Come on now. New Years celebrations is no more about sex and drinking than Senior proms at high schools.I think you're incredibly uptight and that you have no right to tell others how to live their lives. You are hating on the fact that people show love to others... how pathetic is that?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:49:07 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »
it should be banned for single people who can't attract people of the opposite sex.

You're Jewish so it shouldn't even be an issue for you. Jews should not celebrate holidays of other religions.

I'll reiterate...it should only be banned by single people who are incapable of attracting a member of the opposite sex.

You host a Jewish dating show. This way of thinking is contrary to proper Jewish dating. Jews are supposed to date for the intent of marriage. And even within marriage, Jews should not celebrate pagan holidays nor holidays of any other Non-Jewish religion.

It's just funny to me that most single people want to ban Valentine's day because they have no significant other to celebrate it with...so in some of their minds they think, "Let's ban the holiday so nobody can have fun."

However, all Jews are not in Israel...we are a discombobulated people...therefore, rather than banning, we should discourage Jews from celebrating non Jewish holidays...not BAN them...we don't live in a police state...We aren't dictators...and saying the word 'ban' just makes us look really dumb and unpopular and we'll never bcome a mass movement wtih that type of silly language.

If I was married I would also want to ban it.

So do you celebrate it?

No, but if there is a girl that I'm dating expecting flowers on Feb 14th, I will send her flowers...  But no, I don't celebrate it.

Just Erica

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2008, 05:54:07 PM »

You pass judgement on people showing love for their SO's and then accuse ME of making a law? I never pretended to claim that people should celebrate Valentine's day because I celebrate it. And just because I'm in love with my husband and like showing that love with a rose, candy, or whatever, doesn't make me Affirmative Action. Get a girlfriend, please.

Was is an "SO"?

And I won't get a girlfriend because I'm Jewish and Jews don't date without the intent of getting married.

Significant Other, Yacov. And while I respect your tradition and your religion, I don't respect you telling other people how to spend time with their mates.

Just Erica

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2008, 05:56:51 PM »

So do you celebrate it?

No, but if there is a girl that I'm dating expecting flowers on Feb 14th, I will send her flowers...  But no, I don't celebrate it.

That is just as bad because you are acknowledging it. Don't bring paganism into your relationships. I assume G-d will make those relationships a failure if you do that.

You're amazing. My husband and I have been married for 14 years and have celebrated 14 Valentine's day (each season) with each other. Yeah...our marriage is DOOMED.  ::)

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2008, 05:57:38 PM »
The holiday was created by the card and candy compaines.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2008, 05:59:33 PM »

So do you celebrate it?

That is just as bad because you are acknowledging it. Don't bring paganism into your relationships. I assume G-d will make those relationships a failure if you do that.

naa... i know plenty of jews who are happily married who did that.

however i will make a note of it to that special someone

but as feb 14th..flowers or not...i'll give flowers any other day...so i shoudl avoid flowers just becuase it is feb 14th?  That's aknowledging this holiday also..

i'm not interested in this discussion... You are doing no justice to our cause by having threads like these...

Just Erica

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2008, 06:06:08 PM »

So do you celebrate it?

You're amazing. My husband and I have been married for 14 years and have celebrated 14 Valentine's day (each season) with each other. Yeah...our marriage is DOOMED.  ::)

But Jews' relationships will be doomed. Only religious Jews don't get divorced in big numbers.

If Jews' relationships will be doomed if they celebrate Valentine's day, how is it that they don't get divorced. (So in all actuality, their marriages AREN'T doomed...you are just a person who thrives on unhappiness.)

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »

So do you celebrate it?

But Jews' relationships will be doomed. Only religious Jews don't get divorced in big numbers.

If Jews' relationships will be doomed if they celebrate Valentine's day, how is it that they don't get divorced. (So in all actuality, their marriages AREN'T doomed...you are just a person who thrives on unhappiness.)

Most stay together because it looks good to the community.  ::)

Just Erica

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2008, 06:10:40 PM »

So do you celebrate it?

Most stay together because it looks good to the community.  ::)
LOL :::D

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2008, 10:21:48 PM »
As a Christian, you should not celebrate Pre-Christian pagan holidays. I don't understand why Christians like to celebrate pagan holidays honoring Greek and Roman g-ds.

Valentine's Day, like Halloween and Groundhog's Day, is idolatry.

Valentine's Day, Halloween and Groundhog's Day were originally days of Greco-Roman worship - about 2000 years ago. Aside from the Satanists that actually worship Halloween, I doubt most people even know of their origins.. they're simply traditional cultural holidays to take part in some fun activity.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2008, 04:56:55 PM »
I wont celebrate it.
I do like chocolates though...yeah I have a chocolate problem. I hate milk chocolate but I LOVE dark or variety ones like in boxes.
Still, I am not for Valentines and its CHEESY cheap pink and red HORRIBLE colors all over stores...everywhere you go you wont be able to get away from  it! It sux!
you would love visiting Belgium.
Our chocolate industry is huge, ad high quality
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2008, 07:18:19 PM »
I think it should be banned for Jews.

Why do all these Jews celebrate it even though it's Christian?

Are you single dude?
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2008, 07:20:25 PM »

Are you single dude?

Who was that Merkava?

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 07:29:23 PM »
It's a bit cheesy, and it causes clogged arteries with all the chocolate.  There's nothing like saying I love you with a bypass. O0

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »
It's a bit cheesy, and it causes clogged arteries with all the chocolate.  There's nothing like saying I love you with a bypass. O0

But Death by Chocolate.......................... :D

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2008, 07:49:15 PM »

Are you single dude?

Yes, I am single and if I had a wife or girlfriend, I would still be against it. Even before I was modest and believed in pre-marital kissing, I was always against the idea of Valentine's Day. The only time I was ever involved in anything regading it was in elementary school where kids would pass out silly Valentine's Day cards to both boys and girls and it had nothing to do with love. By the time I was of the age where I was interested in girls sexually, I was firmly against celebrating it.

My elementary school would have 3 holiday parties in class: Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine's Day and I don't think this should have been forced upon people. The first is pagan and the second two are Christian but even the origins are in Pre-Christian Greco-Roman pagan holidays.

I think Jews shouldn't try to abolish any of the Pagan, Christian or Greco-Latin holidays in use today in Western countries, except in the State of Israel.
The school education system in Europe and America should not refrain from honouring our traditions.
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2008, 03:38:25 AM »
It is tomorrow for us people of the South Seas  O0

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2008, 07:52:13 AM »
This year it should be (for me)

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2008, 08:55:54 AM »
According to many respected financial experts, Valentines's Day has now become a multi-billion dollar "industry"... So despite the fact that some of us (myself included) are of the opinion that it's not necessarily fair that no matter what faith you are, Valentine's Day and all the silly and satanic concepts that come with the day like that horrid demonic pagan little "cupid" character are going to be FORCED down your throat whether you like it or not, with all the money now involved with the day, short of locking yourself in a closet with a blindfold and ear plugs, there's really no way to avoid its yearly evil wrath.
If you don't like The Great Chaim, then you sure as heck wouldn't like me!

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2008, 09:09:25 AM »
According to many respected financial experts, Valentines's Day has now become a multi-billion dollar "industry"... So despite the fact that some of us (myself included) are of the opinion that it's not necessarily fair that no matter what faith you are, Valentine's Day and all the silly and satanic concepts that come with the day like that horrid demonic pagan little "cupid" character are going to be FORCED down your throat whether you like it or not, with all the money now involved with the day, short of locking yourself in a closet with a blindfold and ear plugs, there's really no way to avoid its yearly evil wrath.
Nobody forces you to spend money for this day.
In fact, making this day in a money-spending contest, is what we here in Europe call " Americanisation".
Showing that you have a lot of money on a day as this, is considered bad-taste, lower-class behaviour.
THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL MEANING OF THIS DAY, that's capitalism, without moral values.
Stop watching TV, listening to radio, watching advertisements in the streets.
In fact, the commercialisation of everything is the problem, not this or any other day itself.
This day was originally a tradition of West-European Royal courts.
Isn't that better, than behaving like a Taliban-criminal that exploits women as if they are animals?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2008, 09:14:05 AM »
The truth is when better more important things come into the mainstream, V-day will disappear simply because nobody really cares or forgets that the holiday even exists.  Attempting to ban it will only make more important.