Poll

Do you keep kosher?

Yes, I'm a Jew.
14 (42.4%)
I'm a Jew but I don't.
9 (27.3%)
No, I'm a Gentile.
6 (18.2%)
I'm a Gentile but I eat kosher meat to avoid ever min ha'chai (Eating a limb from a live animal.).
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Do you keep kosher?  (Read 8252 times)

admin

Do you keep kosher?
« on: October 14, 2007, 11:45:05 PM »
I do.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
Re: Do you keep kosher?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 11:56:57 PM »
I try to.  If I have a choice between kosher and unkosher I'll eat kosher, but sometimes I eat unkosher.  I don't eat any pork, but sometimes I eat meat and cheese together.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 11:58:37 PM »
There is no option for me to vote. I cannot get kosher meat here. If I could,  I'd prefer it to avoid the slightest possibility of Ever Min HaChai.
I avoid pork and shellfish, because even they are alllowed to a goy, they are still filthy.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:01:32 AM »
I avoid pork and shellfish, because even they are alllowed to a goy, they are still filthy.

Yeah, Chaim has said that Gentiles should avoid it for health reasons.

What's wrong with shrimp, lobster, clams, or mussels?  They are all low in fat and high in protein and they don't have any demonstrated negative health effects that I know of.  Is there anything I'm missing?
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:03:49 AM »
I heard shellfish were very unhealthy.

I know that they cause allergic reactions in many people, so many that is a sign that they aren't meant to be eaten. 

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »
no. I'm a gentile.
The whole system works because everyone is not mentally ill on the same day!!!!

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 12:13:47 AM »
I don't even touch pork. (if touch it by accident, I wash my hands with lots of soap) And I don't mind if someones is offended, if I am served pork, I shall reject it, just to be an example to Jews. Many Jews claim that it's unpolite to reject it, and eat Tumah.
Regarding pork and shellfish, I don't know if they are unhealthy, but the Torah says they are filthy. Only that a goy is not bound to avoid filthiness. But would you eat something dirty even if it is no sin?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 01:06:52 AM »
but i'm not shomer...
and in the tradition of my family, poultry is parve...i know that it isn't rabbinically
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:24:57 AM »
but I'm not shomer...
and in the tradition of my family, poultry is parve...i know that it isn't rabbinically

So you  keep kosher other than that?

I've heard of Iranian Jews that do that. But what tradition do they have to base it on?

I have heard that Yemenite Jews eat fish with meat while other Jews don't. But that's only a Rabbinic prohibition for health reasons, not a fence around The Torah. Poultry was changed to meat by the rabbis because people might mistake it for red meat.

I don't know that answer. I do know, however, that a lot of Persians today consider poultry to be meat.

My understanding of the Torah word is that a calf shoudl not be cooked in its mother's milk.  But poultry is not a calf.  The Rabbis decided that since poultry coudl have a similar taste to meat, that one should be prohibited to have poultry with dairy.  Therefore it is a fence..which is fine by me.

The fish with meat prohibition...it might be another fence since fish can very often be served wtih dairy and therefore, teh fish may remind people of dairy and therefore cannot be served wtih poultry...dunno...just a guess.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 01:47:08 AM »
I have read in the Shulchan Aruch, that while Kashrut is very important, health is even more important, so it is forbidden to mix meat with fish, or destroy an olive tree in one's garden.
Fish and meat together.... perhaps dangerous or toxic. But destroying an olive tree.... How can it endanger health? Anyone has the answer?

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 02:58:38 AM »
I am a Gentile, but I don't eat pork or shellfish.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 07:44:52 AM »
I have read in the Shulchan Aruch, that while Kashrut is very important, health is even more important, so it is forbidden to mix meat with fish, or destroy an olive tree in one's garden.
Fish and meat together.... perhaps dangerous or toxic. But destroying an olive tree.... How can it endanger health? Anyone has the answer?

Raul are you Jewish?  Where does that flag represent?

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 08:00:49 AM »
Raul are you Jewish?  Where does that flag represent?

I'm not Jewish. I read the Shulchan Aruch years ago when I was considering the possiblity of converting.
That flag is the Letbelandic one. A virtual State founded originally to protest against Argentina for having its Embassy outside Jerusalem. We are 16 persons at the time, but nearly all Gentiles, (Christians, Noahides, Catholics, Non-Religious). Perhaps one or two of us are Jewish.
http://www.freewebs.com/letbeland

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 09:22:47 AM »
I eat kosher.
And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken perversion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage, to draw thee aside out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee.Deuteronomy 13:5.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 10:35:54 AM »

Depends on what you mean by kosher, for some people Kosher means no mixing meat n milk, no pork, no shellfish, easy enough right? Using that definition I'm 90% kosher because I do slip from time to time on the shell fish when I go for sushi. No interest in pork, and no cheese burgers.

But even if I was 100% by that definition, some people would still say I'm not kosher because my pots, plates and pans had commited the sin of once being in contact with dairy in the past then meat in the past. I think this is ridiculous, no offense. Especially since I have a state of the art dishwashing machine.  ;D
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 11:35:42 AM »
Shrimps, although low in calories and high in protein are bottom feeders.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »
Many Bishul Yisrael restaurants have Gentiles working there, but a Shomer Shabbat Jew turned on the oven.

For Sephardim this isnt acceptable. We need a Jew to actually cook it, or at least place the food in the oven, or on the grill.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »
I eat non Kosher, I am a gentile but as far as meats in general goes, I will eat red meat that is trimmed a bit, as far as pork goes it has to be cut in the center where there is no fat.  I will eat seafood when its cooked right.  With fish and shellfish you HAVE got to be very carefull how it is cooked if not you have a trip to the ER to get your stomach pumped.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »
I keep kosher at home and vegetarian when I eat out.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 04:12:22 PM »
Yes, now 100%. We buy and eat Glatt Kosher.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 03:51:44 PM »
Nope...bacon, sausage, pork chops and ham are all part of my menu  O0

"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 03:57:18 PM »
Nope...bacon, sausage, pork chops and ham are all part of my menu  O0

Why the thumbs up? your a proud criminal? If your going to do that at least feel bad and ashamed. Your like a gay man marching in a fag parade.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 04:18:37 PM »
Why the thumbs up? your a proud criminal? If your going to do that at least feel bad and ashamed. Your like a gay man marching in a fag parade.

Whoa Mr.Tzvi Bin Roshel....thats personal choice. Thumbs up because its tasty.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »

Whoa Mr.Tzvi Bin Roshel....thats personal choice. Thumbs up because its tasty.

I assumed your Jewish, am I right?
 If you are then, how can you feel good about that knowing that its against G-d's will and sooner or later you will experience pain for doing bad things. You can run away and lie in a human court but who can run from G-d?

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 04:45:25 PM »
I assumed your Jewish, am I right?
 If you are then, how can you feel good about that knowing that its against G-d's will and sooner or later you will experience pain for doing bad things. You can run away and lie in a human court but who can run from G-d?

Yes I am Jewish

What I eat and the consequeces of it are my business...plus what are you doing on the forum on Friday night ? Its Shabb--at.

Your like a gay man marching in a fag parade.

Very grown up ! Even one of the butchered pigs can come up with a better sentence than that  :D

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:54:27 PM by Merkava »