Author Topic: The Midianites and The Kenites  (Read 2319 times)

admin

The Midianites and The Kenites
« on: December 17, 2007, 09:56:41 PM »
Chaim mentioned The Midianites on this week's Ask JTF. Originally, didn't they all convert to Judaism under Jethro, Moses's father in law? Are they the same as The Kenites? Yael in The Book of Judges was a Kenite but she was Jewish because they all converted. When did they convert?

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
Re: The Midianites and The Kenites
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 02:36:13 PM »
I think it was only Yitro [Jethro] that converted, otherwise there is no reason they would open a war against the Jewish tribes (or kingdom, I am not sure).
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 05:23:13 PM »
Dexter is right, Yitro and his family converted, but not his nation.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 07:28:40 AM »
Then who are The Kenites? Yael in The Book of Judges was a Kenite but she was Jewish because they all converted. When did they convert?

Only part of the Kenites converted, as Atniel the Kenite, a bit befor the destruction of Amalek. Befor Shaul destroyed Amalek he asked the Kenites to be seperate of Amalek, befor that they were connected to tham.

Yael wasn't Jewish as far as I know...
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche