Author Topic: 12 Nissan - Fast of The Firstborn and Search For Chametz  (Read 4233 times)

admin

12 Nissan - Fast of The Firstborn and Search For Chametz
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:12:28 PM »
BS"D

12 Nissan, 5768

Thursday April 17 – 12 Nissan

Today is The Fast of the Firstborn. All firstborn males are required to fast from Sunrise to Sunset. To be exempt from fasting, one can participate in a meal marking the fulfillment of a mitzvah; such a meal is generally held in the synagogue celebrating the completion of a tractate of Talmud after morning prayers on this day.

Search for the chametz after dark Thursday Night. Recite the blessing prior to the search, and the nullification of the chametz (Kol Chamira) following the search.

Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim,
Chief Administrator.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: 12 Nissan - Fast of The Firstborn and Search For Chametz
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 11:15:03 PM »
Are you allowed to drink water?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »
I might have to fast the whole day since I have to go to work early in the morning and don't know of a synagague praying that early.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »
Another question What about if someone has diabetes can they eat?

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 01:03:54 AM »
I am planning on going to a siyum. Does that mean I do not have to fast even before I go to shul?
The service starts at 7:30AM

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 09:50:37 AM »
Mission accomplished! I woke up so late that there was no time to eat or drink anyway before I got there.

I am planning on going to a siyum. Does that mean I do not have to fast even before I go to shul?
The service starts at 7:30AM

You could only eat after the siyum.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »
Does "all firstborn males" mean if the person is the oldest child in the family or is the male required to fast if he has an older female sibling? 

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:37:13 AM »
Does "all firstborn males" mean if the person is the oldest child in the family or is the male required to fast if he has an older female sibling? 

It only applies to sons who are the oldest issue of his mother's womb from her first pregnancy. If he was born through a C-section, he doesn't have to fast or if his mother had a miscarriage in a previous pregnancy, he doesn't have to fast. Also, a son is still required to fast if he has older half siblings from his father since first born is counted from the mother.

if the woman miscarries, and the baby was female. Then wouldn't a male baby born normally , be considered a first born male, and have to fast on fast of the first born?

in cases I know of, the woman does not talk about the miscarriage. the first born son fasts.
it seems rather cruel for the mother to be reminded every year that her son isn't fasting because she had a miscarriage so the live son isn't really her first born son..

I was not aware of any of these details like caesarian section, or a miscarriage, affecting whether one fasts. or more oddly, whether one is considered a first born.

what is your source?
you should always include sources..