Author Topic: yarmulke  (Read 4801 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: yarmulke
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 08:16:39 PM »
Shalom,

I wear kippah and tzittzits every day. When I wake up I say my blessings and daven for 20 minutes before leaving for work. I wear my kippah to work, under my baseball cap, and if I have to I tuck my tzittzits in my pants. I have no problem with my outward Jewish appearance. I also wear long peyos so there is no doubt as to who I associate with.

muman613

Question for you I had a guy I worked with who wore one when ever he would go to pick something up and it fell from is head he would pick it up and kiss it and put it back on what is the point of kissing it? Do you do that?
Yes,

It is a custom to kiss a item which is dear and close and part of our ritual. Similarly if a Sefer {Book} falls to the ground, when we pick it up we kiss it. Another kissing ritual involves when entering or leaving a house, a more devout person will kiss his hand and touch the mezzuzah on the door post.

muman613

Thank you for the answer :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »
AmericanHero,

I believe it is because we love our rituals which connect us with Hashem. He has given us physical mitzvahs in this world in order to connect to him.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 08:49:14 PM »
My friend got his in temple.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 08:51:14 PM »

Obviously, PJC, you are not up to speed on all the posts. There is only one Temple. Shul is the proper name. 

If I can stay on this forum long enough I might just get smart.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 08:52:38 PM »

Obviously, PJC, you are not up to speed on all the posts. There is only one Temple. Shul is the proper name. 

If I can stay on this forum long enough I might just get smart.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 09:05:50 PM »
Actually some people kiss their kippa. But I think that most (at least I dont) dont kiss it, and their is no problem even if one plays frisbie with it (I remember doing that in high school). A mezuza or a Torah book is completly different- they are in themselves Holy. A kippa is basically a way to cover one's head. It is no different then a cap, a turban or even a napkin as long as it is on your head. Also their is no problem in throwing a torn or dirty (for whatever reason) kippa that you dont need anymore, one does not have to bury it, as would be the case with a damaged mezuza for example.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 09:06:59 PM »
Actually some people kiss their kippa. But I think that most (at least I dont) dont kiss it, and their is no problem even if one plays frisbie with it (I remember doing that in high school). A mezuza or a Torah book is completly different- they are in themselves Holy. A kippa is basically a way to cover one's head. It is no different then a cap, a turban or even a napkin as long as it is on your head. Also their is no problem in throwing a torn or dirty (for whatever reason) kippa that you dont need anymore, one does not have to bury it, as would be the case with a damaged mezuza for example.

What is a mezuza ?

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »

What is a mezuza ?

Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 09:55:01 PM »

What is a mezuza ?

That what that is a woman in my building has that up

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »
I have one on my house and on my office. It has a prayer in it and the symbol for God's name on the outside. Some of them are absolutely gorgeous and are works of art.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 10:04:28 PM »

What is a mezuza ?

Shalom,

Well, the mezuzzah is a container for a piece of parchment which has scripture written on it. This Mezzuzah box is affixed to the doorpost of the doors in the house. I myself am not fully complying with the mitzvah because I only have a mezzuzah on the front door.

The reason we do this is because it is written in Torah, and we recite it at least 2 times a day in the Shema prayer, that we are to write it {Torah} on the doorposts of the house. I will quote the Torah below. The scripture which is written on the parchment is the actual portion which deals with the commands to love Hashem. The mezzuzah is believed to provide protection from the Ayin Hara and bring Shalom Bayis {Peace in the Home}.

The Torah portion {which we read only 2 weeks ago} is:

PARSHA EIKEV Devarim 11:13-11:21

13. And it will be, if you hearken to My commandments that I command you this day to love the L-rd, your G-d, and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul, 14. I will give the rain of your land at its time, the early rain and the latter rain, and you will gather in your grain, your wine, and your oil. 15. And I will give grass in your field for your livestock, and you will eat and be sated. 16. Beware, lest your heart be misled, and you turn away and worship strange gods and prostrate yourselves before them. 17. And the wrath of the L-rd will be kindled against you, and He will close off the heavens, and there will be no rain, and the ground will not give its produce, and you will perish quickly from upon the good land that the L-rd gives you. 18. And you shall set these words of Mine upon your heart and upon your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand and they shall be for ornaments between your eyes. 19. And you shall teach them to your sons to speak with them, when you sit in your house and when you walk on the way and when you lie down and when you rise. 20. And you shall inscribe them upon the doorposts of your house and upon your gates, 21. in order that your days may increase and the days of your children, on the land which the L-rd swore to your forefathers to give them, as the days of heaven above the earth.

I bolded the interesting parts regarding this discussion. You will notice that the command to bind them on our hand and as ornaments between our eyes. This is the mitzvah of Tefillin which requires that we bind 2 boxes with this same scripture onto our arms and on our head. I do Tefillin when I can and need to do it more.

The Shema prayer also has mention of the mitzvah of Tzit-Tzits.This mitzvah is to remind us not to be led astray by the heart {intellectual rebellion} or the eyes {lust}.

37 And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying:  38 'Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them throughout their generations fringes in the corners of their garments, and that they put with the fringe of each corner a thread of blue 39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye go not about after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go astray; 40 that ye may remember and do all My commandments, and be holy unto your God. 41 I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the LORD your God.'

This is what Mezzuzah is...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 10:06:31 PM »

What is a mezuza ?

Shalom,

Well, the mezuzzah is a container for a piece of parchment which has scripture written on it. This Mezzuzah box is affixed to the doorpost of the doors in the house. I myself am not fully complying with the mitzvah because I only have a mezzuzah on the front door.

The reason we do this is because it is written in Torah, and we recite it at least 2 times a day in the Shema prayer, that we are to write it {Torah} on the doorposts of the house. I will quote the Torah below. The scripture which is written on the parchment is the actual portion which deals with the commands to love Hashem. The mezzuzah is believed to provide protection from the Ayin Hara and bring Shalom Bayis {Peace in the Home}.

The Torah portion {which we read only 2 weeks ago} is:

Parasha EIKEV Devarim 11:13-11:21

13. And it will be, if you hearken to My commandments that I command you this day to love the L-rd, your G-d, and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul, 14. I will give the rain of your land at its time, the early rain and the latter rain, and you will gather in your grain, your wine, and your oil. 15. And I will give grass in your field for your livestock, and you will eat and be sated. 16. Beware, lest your heart be misled, and you turn away and worship strange gods and prostrate yourselves before them. 17. And the wrath of the L-rd will be kindled against you, and He will close off the heavens, and there will be no rain, and the ground will not give its produce, and you will perish quickly from upon the good land that the L-rd gives you. 18. And you shall set these words of Mine upon your heart and upon your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand and they shall be for ornaments between your eyes. 19. And you shall teach them to your sons to speak with them, when you sit in your house and when you walk on the way and when you lie down and when you rise. 20. And you shall inscribe them upon the doorposts of your house and upon your gates, 21. in order that your days may increase and the days of your children, on the land which the L-rd swore to your forefathers to give them, as the days of heaven above the earth.

I bolded the interesting parts regarding this discussion. You will notice that the command to bind them on our hand and as ornaments between our eyes. This is the mitzvah of Tefillin which requires that we bind 2 boxes with this same scripture onto our arms and on our head. I do Tefillin when I can and need to do it more.

The Shema prayer also has mention of the mitzvah of Tzit-Tzits.This mitzvah is to remind us not to be led astray by the heart {intellectual rebellion} or the eyes {lust}.

37 And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying:  38 'Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them throughout their generations fringes in the corners of their garments, and that they put with the fringe of each corner a thread of blue 39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye go not about after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go astray; 40 that ye may remember and do all My commandments, and be holy unto your G-d. 41 I am the LORD your G-d, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your G-d: I am the LORD your G-d.'

This is what Mezzuzah is...

muman613

Thank you :)

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 10:10:26 PM »
As always,  the scholar Muman delivers with style.   O0

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 10:16:56 PM »

Thank you too you provided a pic :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 10:36:05 PM »

Thank you for your kind words... I think it is best to understand what we do and why we do it...

muman613

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 10:59:02 PM »

Thank you for your kind words... I think it is best to understand what we do and why we do it...

muman613

Wow, if we could always do that, we would certainly be a very advanced people. Certainly much, much closer to God.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 01:30:50 AM »
Here is some cute and informative videos I found on youtoob.

Thats hilarious!

muman613

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »
The one hanging by the door is sort of like a horse shoe or a rabbit's foot, I guess.

FYI I'm getting yarmulkes as gifts. Although I have seen oriental Jews.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2008, 04:12:36 PM »

Thats hilarious!

muman613

Now that right thar is funny I don't care who you are.   See there you don't have to be Jewish to have a Mezzuza.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »

Thats hilarious!

muman613

Now that right thar is funny I don't care who you are.   See there you don't have to be Jewish to have a Mezzuza.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 05:03:38 PM »
Kipas came to be because a rabbi saw he had a bald spot and wanted to cover it...and this rabbi was a cool rabbi so everyone else started following his lead...that's why Jews today all wear kipas... :::D
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 05:24:20 PM »
Kipas came to be because a rabbi saw he had a bald spot and wanted to cover it...and this rabbi was a cool rabbi so everyone else started following his lead...that's why Jews today all wear kipas... :::D

Yeah right       ::)

Shabbat Shalom from Dox