Author Topic: Shalom  (Read 13203 times)

Offline Dan Ben Noah

• Full JTFer
Shalom
« on: April 14, 2009, 03:05:53 PM »
Shalom
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:53:30 PM by Dan Ben Noah »
Jeremiah 16:19 O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail!

Zechariah 8:23 So said the Lord of Hosts: In those days, when ten men of all the languages of the nations shall take hold of the skirt of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Does anyone have a complete Talmud set?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone actually owns a complete set of the Babylonian Talmud with English translation.  It seems like most of the English editions are incomplete.  The Steinsaltz edition is not complete.  The newest edition I believe is supposed to be the Schottenstein edition from Artscroll, but it doesn't look like it is complete yet either.  Is anyone keeping up with the new volumes as they are released?

Currently I only have a single volume of the Artscroll Yirushalami Talmud. I am not at home now and I dont recall which volume I have. One of these days I will get the entire set... I believe the translation of the Yirushalami Talmud is behind the translation of the much more learned Bavli Talmud.

"Talmud" - Repository of "Oral Law" of Judaism; consists of Mishnah and Gemara. There exist two versions: the Babylonian, or "Bavli" (this is the most frequently used version) and the Jerusalem, or "Yerushalmi." It is similar to an encyclopaedia, but with by no means as strict a structure. It consists of sixty three "Masechtot," or volumes, such as "Berachot," or "Blessings and Prayers," and "Sanhedrin," or "The Jewish Supreme Court," etc. It was written/compiled by Rav Ashi and his colleagues ca. 500 C.E., preserving generations of analysis and discussion by "Amoraim" of the more concise Mishnah, which contains the discussions of the "Tannaim". It also contains extra-legal and anecdotal material relating to all aspects of life. It is similar, in breadth and organization and random-access type memory organization, to the Internet and world-wide web, but is far deeper and qualitatively not comparable. It is referred to as the "Sea of the Talmud."

"Talmud Bavli" - the Babylonian Talmud, as opposed to the "Talmud Yerushalmi", the Jerusalem Talmud; it is the version that is used more. This version of the Talmud was compiled in Babylonia; see Talmud

"Talmud Yerushalmi"
- the Jerusalem Talmud, as opposed to the "Talmud Bavli," the Babylonian Talmud. It is the version less used. This version of the Talmud was compiled in "Eretz Yisrael," the Land of Israel; see Talmud.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 04:34:02 PM »
I had one. But I gave it away when I moved to Brazil for 2 years.

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 05:13:51 PM »
Which edition was yours?

It was this one:
http://www.victorgoldschmidt.ch/00000099c409c5693/00000099c60e38111/index.php

The Babylonian Talmud translated into German by Lazarus Goldschmidt. This is the only complete collection in German.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 05:33:26 PM »

Why did you give it away? It sounds like it was quite valuable...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:59:40 AM »

Yes, but when I went to Brazil I didn't have so much volume to carry it. But I gave it to a good friend who was really happy with it. For me the biggest gift is to make someone happy!
And I still have the complete Talmud - 10,006 pages in English as PDF. That is okay for me.  ;D

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:47:19 AM »

Yes, but when I went to Brazil I didn't have so much volume to carry it. But I gave it to a good friend who was really happy with it. For me the biggest gift is to make someone happy!
And I still have the complete Talmud - 10,006 pages in English as PDF. That is okay for me.  ;D
can you share the pdf plz?

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 05:51:42 AM »

can you share the pdf plz?

No problem. This evening I will zip it and share it you. The link will be posted here!  :)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
Dan, you should ask Shlomo.  He once told me had something on a disc or discs.

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »
Here is the download link for the complete Babylonian Talmud:

http://rapidshare.com/files/223616588/Talmud.zip.html

Enjoy!  :) :dance:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 11:24:53 AM »
Here is the download link for the complete Babylonian Talmud:

http://rapidshare.com/files/223616588/Talmud.zip.html

Enjoy!  :) :dance:

One question...

Is this copyrighted material? If it is I don't think we should promote illegal copying.

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 12:28:38 PM »
No, it is compilation of Talmud Pdfs provided by a site i visited some time ago. You could read the chapter either online or download them as PDF on your HD. For free. I don't have the habit to share illegal stuff!

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »
marcel, you rock!

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »
I am pleased to see you like the UL!  :) ;D

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »
No, it is compilation of Talmud Pdfs provided by a site i visited some time ago. You could read the chapter either online or download them as PDF on your HD. For free. I don't have the habit to share illegal stuff!

Excellent...

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 02:43:27 PM »
the files are listed in alphabetical order, i dont seem to get it .. from where to start, what is the order?

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 02:59:38 PM »
the files are listed in alphabetical order, i dont seem to get it .. from where to start, what is the order?

Scroll to the bottom of this site:
http://www.artscroll.com/Talmud1.htm

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 07:07:32 PM »
I'm interested in purchasing a complete set. Wouldn't it be better to purchase it in Hebrew? I still have to brush up on my Hebrew if I do. If not I'll get the Artscroll English edition.

Moshe92

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »
I study Talmud in Hebrew using a Jastrow dictionary.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 08:48:01 AM »
I'm interested in purchasing a complete set. Wouldn't it be better to purchase it in Hebrew? I still have to brush up on my Hebrew if I do. If not I'll get the Artscroll English edition.
The Talmud main language is Aramaic.

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »
The Talmud main language is Aramaic.
I'm currently not studying in Aramaic though. I have a few volumes of the Talmud in Modern Hebrew. I can get by with it but I really want to learn the language fully.