Author Topic: Inspiring Music?  (Read 63092 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Inspiring Music?
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
Modeh Ani Lifanecha, Thank You for Restoring my Soul!

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2013, 04:28:46 AM »

The  reverb in the song  bought back memories of how the AM and also many FM radio music broadcasts use to sound before stereo broadcasting became more or less the standard form of radio broadcasting... Some radio stations would  use the reverb all the time even while the DJ or news report was talking... It sounded great back then but now seems slightly annoying.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2013, 05:06:50 AM »
The  reverb in the song  bought back memories of how the AM and also many FM radio music broadcasts use to sound before stereo broadcasting became more or less the standard form of radio broadcasting... Some radio stations would  use the reverb all the time even while the DJ or news report was talking... It sounded great back then but now seems slightly annoying.
One thing they haven't fixed yet is that if you have a slightly bad reception in the radio some consonants like 's', 'ts' sound like cellophane paper being abused.

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2013, 06:12:18 AM »
One thing they haven't fixed yet is that if you have a slightly bad reception in the radio some consonants like 's', 'ts' sound like cellophane paper being abused.
I guess something being transmitted over the air like that will always have some sort of limitations... Years ago FM radio from a strong station was limited to 15 or 20 miles... Fence  and lamp posts on the highway would cause a flagging effect in the reception... Today most of that is gone and FM now goes out 50 or 60 miles... Even AM has come a long way in sound quality... Years ago even a small overpass on the highway would kill off the station today that no longer seems to happen... They have even managed to broadcast in AM stereo to some limited extent... Up until the 70's AM use to be the dominant broadcast band most people used... Most car's only came equipped with an AM radio and there was no point spending money for the more expensive AM FM radio because not much was being broadcast on FM  anyway... A rear speaker option was a big upgrade back then...  :::D  In the early 70's FM converters and under the dash retrofits to AM car radios was a big item due to the fact that many music stations started to broadcast in stereo sound...  AM became relegated to news and talk radio and FM became the radio band most people listened to for entertainment since the newer FM stations broadcast in stereo which made the AM broadcasts sound flat...  Today's satellite radio reminds me a bit of the old time radio reception... It sounds great if the receiver is sitting in one place however put it in a car and move around a bit and you get all sorts of dead spots and poor sound quality... I guess over time that will improve also.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2013, 05:40:25 PM »
Great Music, I have to come back and listen to all.  We need music and laughter every once in awhile in this insane world.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
Here's a Rush favorite:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
YES RoundAbout!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »
Alright, this guy is less famous than those I posted before, but Robin Trower (who I saw about four times) was a great talent...

Here is is famous "Bridge of Sighs"...

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                                          :fist:

Inspiring music especially Kansas, Rush, and Yes.  All great bands.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
Shalom Nachus,

Glad you enjoy the videos. It is Adar, and in my opinion a Jew is supposed to be happy in Adar (not just my opinion). I can smell Purim in the air (virtually) and all the problems in life are like tiny puffs of clouds. Anyway, back to the music...

One of my favorite 'Electronica' bands which (who) I saw in 1984 was 'Tangerine Dream'...

The oldest ticket stub in my digitized collection:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:48:08 PM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2013, 02:08:08 AM »
A complete 1hr30min Live concert from 2012 utilizing the latest technologies...

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2013, 02:38:07 AM »
Nature and music from the Kavkaz always inspires me.
This is from Sakartvelos.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:05:03 AM by IsraeliHeart »

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2013, 01:53:27 AM »
:usa+israel:                                                                                                                                                :fist:

Thank you muman613, I remember Tangerine Dream, Eno. Some great mainstream fusion such as
 John McGlaughlin as well.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2013, 02:39:25 AM »
:usa+israel:                                                                                                                                                :fist:

Thank you muman613, I remember Tangerine Dream, Eno. Some great mainstream fusion such as
 John McGlaughlin as well.

Darn, that Tangerine Dream concert was HOT, I watched it before I went to bed last night and it inspired me!

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2013, 05:22:12 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2013, 02:11:15 AM »
Talk about inspiring, how about Steve Millers Fly Like and Eagle!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2013, 02:30:12 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2013, 02:36:15 AM »
I don't know about you, but is it getting hotter in here?

Here is a great guitarist named Warren Haynes, he played with the Allman Brothers and The Dead (when I actually saw him live).. His band is named 'Government Mule'...

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:48:32 AM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2013, 02:58:09 AM »
Alright, how about some Phish before bed?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2013, 03:13:53 AM »
One Two more Phish tunes, then I will retire...

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
I saw the translation, and it sounds realy good. Love it!

''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
It's Erev Shabbat and I have the day off from work.... Still looking forward to the Sabbath bride (Lecha Dodi)...

Come out my Beloved, the Bride to meet;
The inner light of Shabbat, let us greet.

"Observe" and "Remember" in a single word,
He caused us to hear, the One and Only Lord.
G-d is One and His Name is One,
For renown, for glory and in song.

To welcome the Shabbat, let us progress,
For that is the source, from which to bless.
From the beginning, chosen before time,
Last in deed, but in thought - prime.

Sanctuary of the King, city royal,
Arise, go out from amidst the turmoil.
In the vale of tears too long you have dwelt,
He will show you the compassion He has felt.

Arise, now, shake off the dust,
Don your robes of glory - my people - you must.
Through the son of Jesse, the Bethelemite,
Draw near to my soul, set her free from her plight.

Wake up, wake up,
Your light has come, rise and shine.
Awaken, awaken; sing a melody,
The glory of G-d to be revealed upon thee.

Be not ashamed, nor confounded,
Why are you downcast, why astounded?
In you, refuge for My poor people will be found,
The city will be rebuilt on its former mound.

May your plunderers be treated the same way,
And all who would devour you be kept at bay.
Over you Your G-d will rejoice,
As a groom exults in his bride of choice.

To right and left you'll spread abroad,
And the Eternal One you shall laud.
Through the man from Peretz's family,
We shall rejoice and sing happily.

Come in peace, her Husband's crown of pride,
With song (on Festivals: rejoicing) and good cheer.
Among the faithful of the people so dear
Enter O Bride, enter O Bride;

O Bride, Shabbat Queen, now come here!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:53:20 PM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »
A beautiful rendition of Lecha Dodi...

And one of my favorite Shabbat day songs, "Kol HaOlam Kulu".... From a saying of Rabbi Nachman of Breslev...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2013, 05:17:39 PM »
Some various versions of 'Kol HaOlam Kulo'... It is such an essential message in a world were it is easy to be frightened by the circumstances. It takes rock-steady faith to look forward and not be afraid of what is around the next corner. I have been dealing with so many things which came out from left field, all of the sudden (which is one reason I am taking today off)... But once the Shabbat begins, it is like another world (actually the sages say it is like another world)...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
I may have posted this before (I know I posted it in the Torah section at least twice) but this hip-hop and rock fusion song is based on the 'Kol HaOlam Kulu' theme, that life is a 'narrow bridge' and the 'main thing is not to fear at all'.

If you are prejudice against hiphop then skip it, but otherwise give it a listen...

Here is a local guy that I saw play at my local synagogue a few years ago doing a version of 'Al Tira', a prayer which we say which enforces the concept of not fearing any evil...