Author Topic: Your family history/occupations?  (Read 812 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Your family history/occupations?
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:01:15 PM »
Just curious about our members family history and occupations throughout their history?

My dad's family are descended from a mixture of Sephardic and Ashkenazi Jews, my great great great grandparents (as far back as I can trace) were from Romania around Bucharest, and targoviste, some family is rumored to be from bukovina which was a large farming community, and from what I've researched appear to have migrated from the Ottoman Empire and I've been told originally Syria. Romanian jews originally were all Sephardic from turkey, and the Balkans (who fled from Spain) and later mixed with Jews from Galicia, Hungary and Austria. They left in 1900 and different family members arrived up to 1910 because they had lost a lot of land in Romania at the time, they left to hamburg Germany and moved to Montreal Canada. From there, some of my great cousins were born in Montreal and migrated to Chicago, I am at least 4th generation from Chicago. My grandma on my dad's side may have lived there longer but we don't know her origins.

Most of my dad's family worked as tailors, my great great grandpa was a butcher, other family members including my grandpa was a rancher, and owned a farm and was engaged in agriculture, he also worked with ham radios and I believe sold ham radio equipment. Some of our family were doctors, served in the military, etc. my father worked with computers, he was a network engineer, a programmer, and also was a FFL dealer in the chicago suburbs (since selling guns in the city was almost impossible).

My mom is originally German and French ancestry, her family came to the US around 1830, possibly earlier, they were from a area called Saarland which historically was French and was Germanized, many of the people in Saarland can speak both languages fluently. My mothers family were judges I believe in hamburg, they later came to Wisconsin to also engage in agriculture, many of our family operated farms and my grandfather from what I've been told was primarily involved in building glass for skyscrapers, he was involved in a lot of handy work, he built his house which is a log cottage in the rural northern area of Wisconsin near the michigan upper peninsula. I believe most of my mothers family were blue collar. Most of the family was involved in agriculture, military, and labor.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Your family history/occupations?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:21:05 PM »
Quite simply I am a Ashkenazi Jew with family on my fathers side moving to America from Ukraine about 1890's. My mothers family left Poland about the same time (1890s).

My fathers family worked as Salesmen for various companies, my father used to recall a story about being an Encyclopedia salesman. Eventually my father broke into working for various corporations in NY... My mothers family was involved with an advertising agency for many years.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:08:56 PM »
My family as far as I know all lived in Canton China.
I don't exist in China. They didn't register people. So just like my hero Obama, I don't have a birth certificate.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
My fathers side were 1630 Puritans and later Czech, German, French, and Dutch immigrants and Native American. They were settlers, farmers, and wheel makers.

My mothers side was Irish English and Czech. My Grandfather was a farmer and mechanic in Illinois and was a infantryman in WW2. My Grandmothers side were early 1900 and late 1800 Czech immigrants from rural areas south of Prague. They owned a Tavern in one of the small towns south of Prague, I don't remember the town, but it's still there. They came to Iowa and farmed and owned a General Store in a small rural community called "The Little Town in the Bohemian Alps".
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:55:11 PM by אפרים בן נח »
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline fibrogirl

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »
I'm also Ashkenazi.
Dad's side were Ashkenazi Romanian Jews. All Dad's family immigrated to Israel in 1950.
Mum's side were Polish Jews, worked as bakers. They immigrated to Israel before the war.

My Dad's side in Romania were quite rich and owned taverns, general stores, food stores, but the  Nazis and then Communists took it away and they had to start from scratch in Israel.

My parents left Israel for Britain in the 1970's and I was born and grew up in Britain. We returned to Israel when I was 19.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:58:26 PM by fibrogirl »