Author Topic: State and religion relationship  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
State and religion relationship
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »
I think that the State, political decisions and political motivations should be saperate of religion, completly, of any kind. I think in that way because of the fact or the option that religion will limit our freedom right, and can cause religious coercion. Also, political decisions and political motivations that are maneuvered by religion of any kind can be stupid, irrational and/or extreamist .

What is your opinion on state and religion relationship ?
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
Re: State and religion relationship
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:31:53 PM »
Separate by all means.

Politics & Religion don't mix together
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 01:38:26 PM »
The opposite of what you said and think. Okay, maybe in other nations but not in Israel. Anyway talkinf about religion and it having "irrational" decisions- look at the communists and Nazi's. They were secular W/O G-d. Look how much destruction they have coused. Look at the regime in Israel, its secular, does it act rational?  Anyway the purpose of life and in extension in government of the Jews should be to promote and enforce religion and not work agains't it.

(If you are in Israel right now please dont respond, its Shabb---t )
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 01:43:33 PM »
I think there shoudl be a separation of "church" and state.

Except for Israel...Israel is not meant to be a secular country.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 01:59:22 PM »
Except for Israel...Israel is not meant to be a secular country.

I concur - Israel is the only exception
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »
The opposite of what you said and think. Okay, maybe in other nations but not in Israel. Anyway talkinf about religion and it having "irrational" decisions- look at the communists and Nazi's. They were secular W/O G-d. Look how much destruction they have coused. Look at the regime in Israel, its secular, does it act rational?  Anyway the purpose of life and in extension in government of the Jews should be to promote and enforce religion and not work agains't it.

Look at the regime in Iran, is it rational ? Look at Hamas in Gaza, are they rational ? Look at the regime there was when Spain was a religiouse state (as in the 15th century), was it rational ? Who said that the fact that a ceirtin regime is irrational it's because it is seculer ? Political decisions and political motivations of the ceirtin regime were made of diffrent maneuvereds.

Your analogy is incorrect, because you conclude, for unkown reason, that because there were irrtional and insane regime that were seculer (you ignored the fact there were irrotional not because of it secularism) means that religiouse regime will be much more better.
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 05:21:12 PM »

Look at the regime in Iran, is it rational ? Look at Hamas in Gaza, are they rational ? Look at the regime there was when Spain was a religiouse state (as in the 15th century), was it rational ? Who said that the fact that a ceirtin regime is irrational it's because it is seculer ? Political decisions and political motivations of the ceirtin regime were made of diffrent maneuvereds.

Your analogy is incorrect, because you conclude, for unkown reason, that because there were irrtional and insane regime that were seculer (you ignored the fact there were irrotional not because of it secularism) means that religiouse regime will be much more better.

Maybe I can help you understand, Dexter. Like you, I'm not very observant either.  And you live in Israel while I don't.

There is one issue at hand with creating a religious state, even if it is a Jewish state.  The people in that nation have to want it also.  Today, Israel is not even close to being ready for that religious state. If religious suddenly took over Israel, it would become like a brutal theocracy like Iran.  Believe me, I know Chaim doesn't even want that and he always mentions that once he took power, if it was meant to be, he would subtly change the education system and little by little the citizens would get it.  And once they get it, they woudl want more of it. 

Now, the nature of Judaism and the Torah is a bit different than Christianity and Islam and other religions. there is somethign about how the Rabbis studied Torah that makes it more a part of the here and now versus later on when we go to heaven. 

Judaism also is better for Jews than secularism. Jews should be Jews..everybody else can be anythign else that fits their character. For 2000 years, we has Jews tried to be like other nations...and look what happened to us.

However, if Israel is to become a religious type state, it has to happen gradually...very very very very gradually.
Also, a consensus needs to form on how religious the state will be run.  We look at all the Jews around us with all kinds of traditions with all kinds of fences...Some jews need a big fence while others only need a small one...So my dilema will only be about that..

But the Torah laws are the Torah laws..and INTERPRETATION of the Torah laws need to be understood to change with time..and in order for anyone to see that, he has to be very very very very very wise.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein