Author Topic: Steve Irwin rap lyrics  (Read 4186 times)

Scriabin

Steve Irwin rap lyrics
« on: October 26, 2006, 11:45:18 AM »
Sydney Morning Herald: October 26, 2006 - 10:17AM

The gangsta rapper Ras Kass has defended a line in his recently released track Gayme Over, which used the death of the Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin as ammunition against a fellow rapper, The Game.

"Every person should be treated with an equal brushstroke, or no one should, and everything must be considered in context," said Kass in his self-described "open letter to [The] Sydney Morning Herald".

The line from the song that refers to Irwin's death reads: "You're the waste of LA/get blast up in LA/face down, arse up in LA/you the Crocodile Hunter, I am the stingray."

The track, an attack on the rapper The Game, was made as part of a recent feud between the two rappers, which is said to have stemmed from a recent nightclub altercation.

Kass said using historical and current events as metaphors is part of the nature of rap music.

"I am a hip-hop artist. Hip-hop is like any other art form; nothing is sacred, nothing is off limits ... At other times, I myself, have been referenced - be it in a positive or negative light. That is part of the creative process and the nature of what rap music is. I in no way have, or have had, any ill will towards the late Steve Irwin," he said.

In response to the Herald's previous story exposing Kass's lyrics, Steve Irwin's manager, John Stainton, hit out at the rapper.

"I just find it a bit sad that people have to stoop to that," Mr Stainton said.

"It is disappointing. I can't understand the point of it. There are other references they can make that will put the point across.

"I just think it is a pity that people do have to use Steve or anyone who has died in tragic circumstances ... as a form of entertainment."

Kass responded to Mr Stainton in his letter, urging him to view the track as a whole, rather than focusing on one specific line.

"What strikes me as hypocritical is that in a six-minute song that literally starts out with gunshots the only thing that stood out in Mr Stainton's mind was a one-bar reference to a current event," he said.

"Mr Stainton doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned with other references that one could misconstrue as homophobic or misogynistic, let alone is he concerned with the potential violence in hip-hop or black-on-black violence. He only seems to be bothered by one line. I am just saying that consistency would be nice.

"If you aren't from the hip-hop culture and are not familiar with it then you are not qualified to judge it. Whether American or Australian, every human life is valuable; otherwise it makes it appear that Mr Stainton thinks that only one man's is."

Scriabin

Re: Steve Irwin rap lyrics
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 11:55:10 AM »
Obviously, these quotes have been translated from their original ebonics.  All unnecessary y'know'msay'n's have been removed. ;D

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 02:21:43 PM »

The gangsta rapper Ras Kass has defended a line in his recently released track Gayme Over, which used the death of the Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin as ammunition against a fellow rapper, The Game.

"Every person should be treated with an equal brushstroke, or no one should, and everything must be considered in context," said Kass in his self-described "open letter to [The] Sydney Morning Herald".

The line from the song that refers to Irwin's death reads: "You're the waste of LA/get blast up in LA/face down, arse up in LA/you the Crocodile Hunter, I am the stingray."

The track, an attack on the rapper The Game, was made as part of a recent feud between the two rappers, which is said to have stemmed from a recent nightclub altercation.

Kass said using historical and current events as metaphors is part of the nature of rap music.

"I am a hip-hop artist. Hip-hop is like any other art form; nothing is sacred, nothing is off limits ... At other times, I myself, have been referenced - be it in a positive or negative light. That is part of the creative process and the nature of what rap music is. I in no way have, or have had, any ill will towards the late Steve Irwin," he said.

In response to the Herald's previous story exposing Kass's lyrics, Steve Irwin's manager, John Stainton, hit out at the rapper.

"It is disappointing. I can't understand the point of it. There are other references they can make that will put the point across.

With all the money they have, you'd think they would at least pretend to be somewhat domesticated in public. Every one of these wild animals behave like wild animals.
It's amazing how they can tame lions and still have trouble taming these negros.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Scriabin

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 02:38:28 PM »

With all the money they have, you'd think they would at least pretend to be somewhat domesticated in public. Every one of these wild animals behave like wild animals.
It's amazing how they can tame lions and still have trouble taming these negros.

Hey Maniac:

You quoted me as saying something that I never wrote. 

I never wrote:

"With all the money they have, you'd think they would at least pretend to be somewhat domesticated in public. Every one of these wild animals behave like wild animals.
It's amazing how they can tame lions and still have trouble taming these negros."

Please correct this.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:43:15 PM by Scriabin »

Offline Hail Columbia

• Master JTFer
  • Vrijheid, Welvaart, Beschaving
    • AfricanCrisis, Africa's Premier Hard News Website
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:08:24 PM »
Hey Maniac:

I never wrote:

"With all the money they have, you'd think they would at least pretend to be somewhat domesticated in public. Every one of these wild animals behave like wild animals.
It's amazing how they can tame lions and still have trouble taming these negros."

Please correct this.

I think that he meant those comments to be his own, and didn't notice that the same were within the quote tag.

Learn the truth about rap "music": (Strongly recommended for new members)
www.geocities.com/wilder2k1
My MySpace site:
http://www.myspace.com/hailcolumbiajtf
My YouTube site:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HailColumbiaJTF
Dixie Outfitters, Preserving Southern Heritage Since 1861:
http://www.dixieoutfitters.com/
AfricanCrisis, Africa's Premier Hard News Website:
http://www.africancrisis.co.za
The Right Perspective, NYC's Most Dangerous Callers to Talk Radio, Airing Live Every Friday Night, 10 PM EST:
http://www.therightperspectivepodcastblog.blogspot.com/

In thy power Almighty, trusting,
Did our fathers build of old;
Strengthen then, O Lord, their children
To defend, to love, to hold
That the heritage they gave us
For our children yet may be:
Bondsmen only to the Highest
And before the whole world free.
As our fathers trusted humbly,
Teach us, Lord, to trust Thee still:
Guard our land and guide our people
In Thy way to do Thy will.

Scriabin

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 06:09:45 PM »
Hey Maniac:

I never wrote:

Please correct this.

I think that he meant those comments to be his own, and didn't notice that the same were within the quote tag.

I'm sure you're right.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 11:32:29 PM »
Sorry, I said:

------------------------------------

you said:
Hey Maniac:

I never wrote:

Please correct this.

-----------------

I now say:
I'm sorry, I was using a text browser on my phone.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline genteelgentile

• Pro JTFer
  • Chaim Ben Pesach- Civil Rights Leader 4 The Ages
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 01:58:29 AM »
Australian accent...  ooohh Crickey!!!!  I am at the zoo today to wrestle the fierce gorillas of South Central LA.  Latin name, Gangsterus rapperus. 
I LOVE dogs because muslims do not!!!!  Have your dog kiss a muslim today!