Author Topic: The IRA  (Read 20245 times)

newman

Re: The IRA
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2007, 07:27:04 AM »
Hard to believe now but in Australia, up until the 60s Catholics voted Labour and protestants voted conservative. It was very tribal here, but it was socio-economic more than theological.

Very true, the Labor party were even known as the Fenians.

Back to the topic at hand, do you not believe that many of the Southern Protestants fled to England and Ulster because they were persecuted by the catholics? Does this then not justify the need for a Protestant majority Northern Ireland to remain part of the UK solely to provide protection for them?

I believe there were very few protestants in the South to begin with. Even then only a few in Dublin.

The fact that there was some pay-back immediately after the brutality of British rule and a war of independance in the 1920s is no indication of what will happen now. These are Irish not arabs. I see no indication of rampaging catholics murdering protestants in a united Ireland since they'll be euphoric about there final victory.

I'm sure part of any settlement will be a guarantee of property rights etc.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
    • AussieJTFer's Youtube Channel
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2007, 07:32:09 AM »
How about those Catholics in the north? I reckon they might go to town on em.

newman

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2007, 07:37:45 AM »
How about those Catholics in the north? I reckon they might go to town on em.

Not if they get what they want. Thumbing their noses at them and saying "we won, ya protty bastards" will probably suffice. Yes they'll probably play silly buggers with zoning applications for any new protestant churches or orange lodges but that'll be it. Once there is no more British rule, there'll be no more paramilitaries and no more (big scale) killings.

It's not like arabs getting sovereignty in Israel (G_d forbid!) They would start a slaughter.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2007, 07:53:58 AM »
I'll put it this way which has nothing to do with their politics, the Irish in absolute vast numbers have sided with our worst enemies of the past 50 years for decades, why should we side with them? Let's say they are 100% right (I don't think they are but let's just say they are), should we support the "right" side even if they support our worst enemies?  I'm not saying I like the British because I really don't, particularly due to their destructive history prior to the establishment of Israel, but in recent times, it has been the IRA that have not only trained the PLO but have actually fought alongside them. Why should we support their country of origin? As I said earlier, their is a minority of Protestants in Northern Ireland who are pretty ardent Zionists, not many but it is a hell of alot more than the pretty much non-existent Zionism in the ROI, why should I not support these Zionists?

Offline DALMACIJA

• Master JTFer
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2007, 08:01:11 AM »
We all agree that the IRA is connected with the PLO, ETA and with other terrorist groups.
This movement has a history of terrorist violations and is guilty for violent incidents against the loyalists and the British authorities in Northern Ireland. 

It is also well known that some IRA commanders volunteered in the Croatian army during the collapse of Yugoslavia. They also helped the Croatian general Ante Gotovina to avoid the Hague trial.

The loyalist armed forces have maybe also a not clean history but I consider them less evil and less dangerous than the IRA.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:09:20 AM by DALMACIJA »

newman

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2007, 08:09:12 AM »
I'll put it this way which has nothing to do with their politics, the Irish in absolute vast numbers have sided with our worst enemies of the past 50 years for decades, why should we side with them? Let's say they are 100% right (I don't think they are but let's just say they are), should we support the "right" side even if they support our worst enemies?  I'm not saying I like the British because I really don't, particularly due to their destructive history prior to the establishment of Israel, but in recent times, it has been the IRA that have not only trained the PLO but have actually fought alongside them. Why should we support their country of origin? As I said earlier, their is a minority of Protestants in Northern Ireland who are pretty ardent Zionists, not many but it is a hell of alot more than the pretty much non-existent Zionism in the ROI, why should I not support these Zionists?

Chaim addressed this dillema on one of his shows. He says Ireland is a separate country fro Britain and the Irish republican cause is just. On the other hand the Provisional IRA's allegiance with the PLO/nazis is evil. (Remember that Britain has been utterly evil and anti-Semitic since before WW2. So pro-British protestants are alligned with anti-semites, too.)

See the dilemma?

It's like David Ben Gurion in WW2. The nazis are killing Jews. The Brits are fighting nazis. The Jews support Britain. The Brits sign a white paper excluding Jewish refugees from entering Eretz Yisrael. What to do?

Ben Gurion said...."We will fight the Germans as if there was no white paper. We will fight the white paper as if there were no Germans".

Offline DALMACIJA

• Master JTFer
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2007, 08:26:38 AM »
(Remember that Britain has been utterly evil and anti-Semitic since before WW2. So pro-British protestants are alligned with anti-semites, too.)

The Brits considered the Serbs as allies only if they could use us for their own purposes.

WW1.
For example they did not sent amplifications on time to resist German/ Austrian attacks against Serbia. During WW1 Serbia lost 50% of her population. After the war Serbia tried to united Serbian parts of today’s Albania. The Brits threatened with military actions if Serbian soldiers would enter into Albania.

During WW2 the Serbs and the Brits were also “allies”.
In the beginning of the war England supported the Serbian Cetnik movement in the struggle against Nazi forces. At the end of the war the West including England recognized our rival party , the evil communist, who were also great enemies of the Serbs.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2007, 09:37:36 AM »
The IRA are a great group. Yitzchak Shamir took the nickname "Michael" because he respected IRA leader Michael Collins, while he was underground as a leader of the Lechi. The Irgun and the Lechi also took many strategy, and tactical moves that the IRA had used. The IRA was fighting for what was theirs, as were the Irgun and the Lechi.

Very interesting post dominater96, I had not been aware of this before. I've always thought that there were many similarities between the Irish and Jewish peoples- both have had long long histories of persecution, pogroms, and deportations against them, both despite being small in terms of population have made enormous contributions to Western Civilization, and both groups also have large diasporas that have helped shape the identity of their people over the centuries who have been without a nation of their own.

Alot of Irish people are actually kind of jealous towards Israel: the Irgun managed to do in ten years what the Irish could not do in 800 years- drive the British from our homeland. And following the Irgun, the State of Israel was able do what the Irish Free State has yet to be able to do- revive Hebrew. Today, despite some success, the Irish language remains on the fringe only seen on road signs, and is spoken mostly by the older generation and in some pockets along the Western sea.

Are there any books or articles that you could recommend about the connection between the Irgun, Yitzchak Shamir, and the Irish rebels?

Ive read alot of books about the Irgun, and Lechi. I dont remember which one spoke about this, but it mightve been Menachem Begin's Revolt.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2007, 09:38:56 AM »
IRA are pure evil little bastards to need removing for the face of the earth along with anyone else that believes street terrorism and killing of innocent people is the right thing to do.
Do you also apply this to the UDA, UVF, LVF, and RHD???

Would you like to expand the names out so I can see exactly who you are asking for my opinion.

I have zero tolerance for any form of terrorists, from wannabe crackpots to just plain sh*theads.

If you are classed as a terrorist you are in my scope.
DO you classify the Irgun, Lechi, Kach, JDL, and Kahane Chai as terrorists?

Offline dhimmi_pride

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2007, 01:09:26 PM »
True but did the Protestants and unionists of Southern Ireland agree to the treaty? Where have all of the Protestants of Southern Ireland gone? Many Protestants in the early Free State were targetted for "revenge" attacks in response to so called Catholic persecution in the north. They hardly exist in the ROI today. One of the main reason why there hasn't been alot of violence against Jews in Ireland is because hardly any Jews have ever been there, they have tried however, like in Limerick. Despite all that, I have a respect for the Irish having gone through some brutal stuff at the hands of the British, I just hate how they have become a nation that absolutely kisses the arse of the PLO muslim nazis and how they are proud of being the most anti-Israel country in Europe.
Protestants in the 26 counties of the South do just fine. The vast vast majority were not subjected to any sort of revenge attacks, were allowed to keep their lands (there was never any sort of land reform in ireland), and Churches (even though most were former Catholic Churches seized by the British). Today in Ireland Protestants make up about 10% of the population, they do quite well and are successful beyond their numbers in business and politics.
Even the Orange Order is tolerated in the South. They parade regularly in Donegal, Monaghan, Cavan, Wexford ect with out any problems every year.

Offline dhimmi_pride

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2007, 01:13:01 PM »
IRA are pure evil little bastards to need removing for the face of the earth along with anyone else that believes street terrorism and killing of innocent people is the right thing to do.

Would you like to expand the names out so I can see exactly who you are asking for my opinion.

I have zero tolerance for any form of terrorists, from wannabe crackpots to just plain sh*theads.

The Ulster Defense Association, Ulster Volunteer Force, Loyalist Volunteer Force, and Red Hand Defenders. These are the loyalist paramilitaries that the media never gives the attention that they give the IRA. Loyalists have killed over 900 people in Northern Ireland, only about 20-30 were actually members of the IRA.

Offline dhimmi_pride

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2007, 01:47:43 PM »
don't be fooled by a bunch of flags, the fact is that the loyalists in Northern Ireland are just as bad as the provos

Oh yeh I know, the loyalist paramilitaries are not our friends and I am well aware that they have links with Combat18 and other mongrel groups and are responsible of the murder of innocent people and are massive drug peddlers. However, these loyalist groups have never actively worked with or supplied weapons to the PLO nazis nor do they outwardly display any solidarity with the arab nazis. I was told by a Protestant in Belfast when I was up there a few years ago that the Israelis even helped the loyalist paramilitaries in the 70s with weapons although I am not sure if this is true. I also found that there is a fair bit of support for Israel amongst the everyday Northern Irish Protestant in comparison to other European countries, it was still probably a minority but it was still there. I have also browsed through the Calton Loyalist forums and have found that the majority are supportive of Israel, which is diametrically opposed to the republicans and how they view the Jewish state.
Do any of these loyalists even respect Paisley anymore now that he is in bed with Adams and McGuiness?
The IRA has never given any weapons to the PLO or any other Arab group. It is against the IRA's rule in the green book to ever give away a weapon- a crime punishable by death. The IRA did recieve weapons from Libya in the 1980's following the US bombing of Libya (which killed his daughter if I remember correctly) after the Pam-Am attack. Gaddafi was mad with Britain for letting the US use its bases to launch the attack and wanted to retaliate against but couldn't do it himself so he gave the IRA money and weapons...it was a gift.

Paisley still has the backing of most loyalists but that number is decreasing. Some members of his party have defected and he also lost his position as head of the Free Presbyterian Church. I think many republicans are starting to turn against Adams and Co too. They are tired of them running nationalist areas like the gestapo. Click below  to see how the provos treat their own and how ordinary Catholics in the North feel about them.

http://www.nuzhound.com/articles/Sunday_Tribune/arts2007/oct28_attack_on_Quinn_ordered_by_IRA__SBreen.php

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »
A whole heap of pipe bombs and grenades of Irish origin were found in Jenin in 2002 according to British weapons experts and IRA snipers have apparently gunned down IDF soldiers on Israeli soil. I'm not saying that you are wrong it is just information I have read from various news and military type websites.
The 2006 Dublin Riots didn't seem to go down too well when the Unionists marched but that could have been caused by some form of provocation I am unaware of.

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2007, 04:07:57 PM »
I agree that the IRA are detestable and evil, and so does Chaim. They work with Israeli Arab Nazis and are communists.

The IRA also teaches Marxist left-wing violent groups in Latin America how to make bombs.

Kiwi

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2007, 04:44:14 PM »

The Ulster Defense Association, Ulster Volunteer Force, Loyalist Volunteer Force, and Red Hand Defenders. These are the loyalist paramilitaries that the media never gives the attention that they give the IRA. Loyalists have killed over 900 people in Northern Ireland, only about 20-30 were actually members of the IRA.

Ulster Defense Association I know just a small amount about the others don't even think I recall them at all.

Ireland never really held and interest for me, except the IRA when it crossed over borders.

Offline dhimmi_pride

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2007, 06:24:02 PM »
A whole heap of pipe bombs and grenades of Irish origin were found in Jenin in 2002 according to British weapons experts and IRA snipers have apparently gunned down IDF soldiers on Israeli soil. I'm not saying that you are wrong it is just information I have read from various news and military type websites.
The 2006 Dublin Riots didn't seem to go down too well when the Unionists marched but that could have been caused by some form of provocation I am unaware of.
The bombs in question at Jenin were identified as being of the same design as those used by the IRA in the early 1970's. There were no allegations that they were actually handed over to the Arabs by the IRA. The British bomb expert who defused them just said that they were similar to the kind he had defused in Ireland decades earlier. The accusation of an IRA sniper operating in Israel is based on the fact that the sniper in question left his weapon behind for the army to find after his attack which is the standard practice of IRA snipers. There is certainly alot of evidence that the Arabs are studying and copying the tactics used by the IRA, as did the Irgun, but thats as far as it goes.

The 2006 "Love Ulster" parade in Dublin was organized by Willie Frazer. The "Love Uster" group is essentially a front for the UDA. One of the key men behind it UDA Brigadeer from Belfast and convicted gangster Jackie McDonald who was to speak at the march. Frazer has also been linked to the UDA by the British security forces. The march never went forward because of the rioters and protests which were organized by Republican Sinn Fein (not the Provos).

Frazer is also head the "Families Acting for Innocent Relatives" group which represents Protestants killed in South Armagh. His group only condems victims of the IRA and refuses to condemn loyalist terrorism. Actually Frazer praises loyalist terrorist and drug dealer Billy Wright who was behind the sectarian murders of twenty Catholics in South Armagh and Mid-Ulster saying he "has alot of time for him."
Many of the victims of IRA violence that FAIR remember were members of the RUC and UDR but also had duel membership in loyalist paramilitaries. Frazer openly defends the collusion between loyalist paramilitaries and security forces that saying it was necessary and that loyalist paramilitaries "never should have been jailed in the first place." These are the same duel agents that have massacred the Miami Showband (in their police uniforms) when they lined up 5 innocent Catholics and shot them and committed many other murders in the area. This same gang also committed the Dublin and Monaghan bombings that killed 33 and injured hundreds in 1974 with no warning car bombs. These bombings occured right where Willie Frazer wanted to hold the "Love Ulster" parade.

So yes you could say that there was provocation.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 06:28:18 PM by dhimmi_pride »

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2007, 06:47:49 PM »
Thanks for the information, but was it an excuse for the Irish to start burning their own cars and smashing shop windows in response?
Why is their so much hatred towards Israel by the Irish, is it because of replacement theology Catholicism or do they honestly believe that we are doing to the arabs what the Brits did to them? In reality, our situation is much more in line with the Irish than the other way around, we also fought the Brits using "terrorism" and we have been persecuted just like them, so why are they so keen to support the PLO nazi muslims who would not hesitate in destroying their country whole given the chance?

Offline dhimmi_pride

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2007, 07:58:22 PM »
Thanks for the information, but was it an excuse for the Irish to start burning their own cars and smashing shop windows in response?
Why is their so much hatred towards Israel by the Irish, is it because of replacement theology Catholicism or do they honestly believe that we are doing to the arabs what the Brits did to them? In reality, our situation is much more in line with the Irish than the other way around, we also fought the Brits using "terrorism" and we have been persecuted just like them, so why are they so keen to support the PLO nazi muslims who would not hesitate in destroying their country whole given the chance?
I blame the Irish government for the riots. First for giving permission to this group with open links to paramilitaries to march. The Loyalist position is that the North is part of Britain, so what makes them think they have the right to march in Dublin? Second, the idiots in the Irish government allowed for the protestors of the march to hold their counter-demonstration on O'Connell Street while it was undergoing heavy re-construction. The protestors had easy access to bricks, wood, and other construction materials, I can not believe people were surprised that a riot broke out it was entirely predictable. I don't think they should have gone burning cars and such but I do not think that the march should have been allowed to go ahead either and physical force was the only way that was going to happen. Just the thought of the Irish police trying to force a loyalist march through Dublin past the spot where the Easter Rising of 1916 took place is what really enraged people, it brought back old memories of the Civil War. There is no end date to the Civil War, it just slowely pittered out. The Irish goverment has long been seen as just a puppet of the British government and has at times been even worse than the Brits. Eamon Devalera's government executed more IRA men (his former comrades) than the British did during the War of Independence. The group that organized it RSF does not even recognize the 26 County government as the legitimate government of the Irish people.
View the riot yourself. They seem sincere to me I don't think they were just looking for an excuse to cause general mayhem:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eXTfM0DVDCQ

I completely agree with you that the Irish situation is closer to that of the Israeli's which is why it bothers me so much that many Irish are against Israel. The Irish that are against Israel honestly believe that the IDF and Israeli government are doing to the "Palestinians" what the British did to them. This basically comes from decades of being brainwashed by the Left definately not Catholic theology (the leadership of SF are all secular, probably atheist in private, and support abortion.) They are basically just told that British soldiers kill Irish people, IDF kill innocent Arabs, therefore we have to take the Arabs side. For all their talk I find most Irish people who oppose Israel to be very ignorant on the subject. They just know that it is the politically correct thing for them to do. What is really very interesting how they view the creation of Israel, they always claim that the Brits "gave" the land to the Jews and completely ignore (or are totally unaware of) the war fought by the Irgun against the British. So I think there is hope, especially given to threat now being posed to the West from Islam that was not around before, they just need to be educated. Don't think all Irish and Irish republicans are against Israel though I've had debates with other Irish people, I'm certainly not alone. There is also a history of Irish republicans like Mike Quill and James Connolly standing up against anti-semitism. And even the idiot Israel-bashing Left in Ireland are not anti-semitic. Ireland is the ONLY white country not to have a Nazi party. People have tried but all have been properly dealt with  8)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2007, 08:43:51 PM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9_qVOMxMClQ&feature=related

They seem to be well armed, and look socialist to me. Isn't the IRA fighting over Britain occupying them?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2007, 08:58:49 PM »
don't be fooled by a bunch of flags, the fact is that the loyalists in Northern Ireland are just as bad as the provos

Oh yeh I know, the loyalist paramilitaries are not our friends and I am well aware that they have links with Combat18 and other mongrel groups and are responsible of the murder of innocent people and are massive drug peddlers. However, these loyalist groups have never actively worked with or supplied weapons to the PLO nazis nor do they outwardly display any solidarity with the arab nazis. I was told by a Protestant in Belfast when I was up there a few years ago that the Israelis even helped the loyalist paramilitaries in the 70s with weapons although I am not sure if this is true. I also found that there is a fair bit of support for Israel amongst the everyday Northern Irish Protestant in comparison to other European countries, it was still probably a minority but it was still there. I have also browsed through the Calton Loyalist forums and have found that the majority are supportive of Israel, which is diametrically opposed to the republicans and how they view the Jewish state.
Do any of these loyalists even respect Paisley anymore now that he is in bed with Adams and McGuiness?

Where you hear the loyalists work with COMBAT18? I thought COMBAT18 was mainly a leaderless resistance, and not really a major factor of paramilitary group.

Offline dhimmi_pride

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2007, 01:24:13 PM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9_qVOMxMClQ&feature=related

They seem to be well armed, and look socialist to me. Isn't the IRA fighting over Britain occupying them?
That footage is from the 70s,80s, and 90's. They decommissioned their weapons a few years ago. A few splinter groups broke during the peace process but they are not really significant in terms of numbers, support, or weapons.

Offline dhimmi_pride

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2007, 01:24:31 PM »

Where you hear the loyalists work with COMBAT18? I thought COMBAT18 was mainly a leaderless resistance, and not really a major factor of paramilitary group.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,338934,00.html
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/nireland/story/0,,997280,00.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/1260725.stm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19990308/ai_n14210482
http://www.skrewdriver.net/murals1.html

SUNDAY TELEGRAPH Sunday 22 August 1999

Britain's Nazis help bankroll the loyalists

By David Bamber,
Home Affairs Correspondent

BRITISH neo-Nazi groups are raising money for loyalist terrorist
organisations in Northern Ireland. The far-right Combat 18 group has
forged new links with the Loyalist Volunteer Force, and Special Branch
and the MI5 have evidence of collaboration between former British Army
soldiers in Combat 18 and the LVF leadership.

Three far-Right bands from Combat 18 played at a fundraising evening in
Ulster on the eve of the Battle of the Boyne commemorations last month -
the most important day in the loyalist calendar. A contingent of 25
Combat 18 members and the rock bands attended the fundraising night at
an LVF social club.

The Combat 18 members were also present on the Brimstown estate,
Portadown, for the unveiling of a plaque to the dead LVF leader Billy
Wright, a hardline terrorist known as King Rat, who was shot dead in the
Maze prison in 1997 by the Irish National
Liberation Army. A "Blood and Honour" concert was given by skinheads
later the same week in Portadown, Northern Ireland, hosted by the LVF.

Several concerts have also been held across England, including one at
Wigan in Greater Manchester, for the LVF. Security forces in Northern
Ireland see renewed links between English extremists and the loyalist
terrorists as a worrying development.
It is believed that new weapons have already been bought by the IRA and
the fundraising concerts will mean that the LVF can also purchase new
weapons. One security expert said that the situation in Northern Ireland
was on a "knife edge" with both republicans and loyalists making
preparations for the end of the ceasefire.

The LVF's arsenal is believed to be small, but weapons are readily
available on the black market in eastern Europe, Serbia and Russia.
Despite declaring a ceasefire in 1998, the LVF is believed to be linked
to two organisations, the Red Hand Terrorists and Orange Volunteers,
opposed to the peace process.

The links between Combat 18 and the LVF have been planned by far-Right
activists in Oxford. A leading member of Combat 18 has been tracked
visiting LVF groups in Northern Ireland over the past six months and a
former soldier in the British Army, who left after his far-Right links
were exposed, is also involved. Combat 18, which takes its name from
Adolf Hitler's initials, the first and eighth letters of the alphabet,
has long been connected with illegal activity. It orchestrated hooligans
to disrupt a football match
between Ireland and England in 1995 and sent letter bombs to mixed-race
couples, such as the swimmer Sharron Davies and athlete Derek Redmond.

The group had links in Northern Ireland more than three years ago with
the Ulster Volunteer Force, but these petered out during peace
negotiations. The LVF split from the larger UVF in 1996. Earlier this
year, The Telegraph revealed that soldiers with the elite Parachute and
King's regiments, were arrested after a year-long MI5, Special Branch
and military police inquiry into organised neo-Nazi infiltration of the
Army.

That investigation found evidence of Combat 18 supplying military
know-how to the UVF during previous years. Senior members of the group
have been photographed with the leadership of the Ulster Defence
Association and the Ulster Volunteer Force.

Loyalists and Fascists

Links between Unionists/Loyalists in the North and British Fascists go back over 80 years. As far back as the 1920s the 'British Fascisti' set up a group in Co. Down which led a pogrom against catholics and in the 1930s members of the Glasgow fascist gang the 'Billy Boys' visited Belfast to take part in sectarian rioting during the 12th of July weekend. However this article will focus on links in recent years.

The convicted UDA terrorist Johnny Adair, recently released from Maghaberry jail, is a man with a background even more sinister than that of the average death squad commander.

In 1994 Adair pleaded guilty to 'directing terrorism' and was sentenced to 16 years, serving only five until he was released under the Good Friday Agreement. In an interview he admitted to being the loyalist known as 'Mad Dog' and boasted of being involved in the sectarian murders of 20 Catholics. While in jail Adair forged close links with Billy Wright, leader of the LVF, and the UDA carried out sectarian murders of Catholics to avenge Wright's death in 1997. Adair and Wright were also linked by their prominent involvement in drug dealing in the North.

But Adair, who rose to leadership in the Belfast UDA/UFF in the early 1990s, has a far longer political pedigree.

Belfast National Front 1980s
In the mid 1980's there were about 200 National Front supporters in Belfast, one of them the young Johnny Adair. In September 1983 a National Front March took place in Belfast, attended by about 100 fascist skinheads. Prominent in the parade was Johnny Adair, along with his sidekick Sam McCrory. This march became known as the 'gluesniffers march', because many of the skinheads were drunk on cider and openly sniffing glue from plastic bags as they paraded from the city centre to the Shankill chanting anti-Black and anti-republican slogans.

In April 1983 a group of young loyalist skinheads from a gang called 'NF Skinz' killed a homeless alcoholic on the Lower Shankill. Patrick Barkey, a catholic, died after being beaten unconscious and hit on the head with a concrete block. Three skinheads, William Madine, Clifford Bickerstaff and Albert Martin were charged with murder. Madine and Bickerstaff pleaded guilty to manslaughter and got two years and eleven months at a young offenders centre. Martin was found guilty of GBH and got a 12 month suspended sentence. Press reports stated that the skinheads were provided with character references by [unnamed] Belfast Unionist politicians.

The Belfast NF broke up anti-racist and punk gigs in the city. The NF was active around football and sold their publications at Northern Ireland games at Windsor Park. The NF youth paper 'Bulldog' published a 'league of louts' - detailing the most racist fans - Linfield and Coleraine featured regularly.

In January 1998 Mo Mowlam visited the Maze prison to meet the leaders of the loyalist prisoners. The UDA/UFF leaders in the Maze were Adair and Sam McCrory, both from the Shankill Road. At the time of Mowlam's jail visit the media reported that McCrory has 'White Power' and 'Skins' tattoos on his right hand.

Investigations by Anti-Fascist Action revealed that in the early 1980s both 'Skelly' McCrory and Adair played in a Belfast nazi skinhead band called 'Offensive Weapon'. This band played a few gigs on the Nazi skinhead circuit in Britain in the mid 80s. In August 1998 the Irish News printed a photograph of Adair and McCrory on the 'gluesniffers' NF March in Belfast in September 1983. With them was Donald Hodgen, another skinhead who also became a UDA member and later a prominent activist in the now defunct Ulster Democratic Party.

Nearly twenty years later the 30 to 40 young skinheads who led the National Front branch in Belfast in the 1980s now form the core of Adair's 'C Company' of the UFF. They moved on to more serious sectarian violence but never left behind their 'white power' beliefs. From a small gang of teenage thugs they turned themselves into so-called 'defenders of the people', which involved murdering scores of innocent catholics. In 2000 they tore their community apart in a savage feud with the rival UVF. They are a classic example of what happens if fascism is not forcefully opposed when it first appears.

The early 1990s, when Adair was leader of the UDA/UFF on the Shankill, marked a period of increased contact between Northern loyalists and Fascists in Britain as close links developed between the UDA and London based Fascists. Eddie Whicker and Frank Portinari were both 'UDA Organisers' in Britain. Portinari was jailed in 1993 for gun running to the UDA. Portanari was involved in C18 in the 1990s but now heads a pro-UDA group in London called the British Ulster Alliance.

Charlie Sargeant, the former leader of Combat 18 now serving life in England for the murder of a fellow fascist, often boasted of his personal friendship with Johnny Adair.

In the mid 1990s C18's control of the Blood and Honour 'music' network allowed them to put on several gigs in the North. 'Blood and Honour' magazine boasted of Welsh band Celtic Warrior's visit to Belfast and published photographs of loyalist bandsmen playing alongside them at a 'White Christmas' gig on the Lower Shankill Road. 'Blood and Honour' magazine also printed photographs of two UDA prisoners in Long Kesh, who sent greetings to C18 and said that they were 'dedicated to keeping Ulster British and white' and the loyalists' prison journal 'Warrior' also published pro-C18 articles

C18/LVF and Portadown
The annual attempt by the Orange Order to march down the Garvaghy Road, and the 12th weekend generally, has become a point of pilgrimage as English fascists from different groups visit the North to link up with their loyalist friends.

In July 1999 Combat 18 brought 25 supporters from Britain to Portadown. Combat 18 members attended at the unveiling of a memorial to Billy Wright and he is also idolised on C18 websites. On July 11th 1999 a 'Blood and Honour' gig was held in a social club in Portadown. The English fascist bands 'Razors Edge', 'Chingford Attack' and 'No Remorse' played alongside loyalist flute bands. According to a C18 report on the event:
'A spokeswoman for the Loyalist Volunteer Force, who hosted the gig, took the stage and thanked Combat 18 officially for the support shown to her organisation and its prisoners of war both in C18 publications and financially. All the profits from the gig were donated to the LVF Prisoners' Fund and links between C18 and the LVF were strengthened on the evening'. C18 members also attended the Orange march in Portadown and the demonstration at Drumcree on July 12th.

In July 2000 another C18 delegation attended the Drumcree march. The fascists, from Bolton, Burnley and Preston in the North of England, stayed with LVF members in Portadown's Corcrain and Brownstown estates. A TV documentary showed a prominent Orangeman from Portadown, Ivan Hewitt, displaying his 'Blood and Honour', 'SS' and other Nazi tattoos. David Jones, leader of the Orange Order in Portadown, claimed that he did not know Hewitt.

'Free Johnny Adair'
In September 2000 a group of UDA supporters and English fascists, including convicted loyalist gun runners Terry Blackham and Frank Portinari, took part in a National Front protest in Downing Street demanding the release of Johnny Adair. A similar protest took place in January 2001.

At the funeral of Steven McKeag, a major drug dealer, on the Shankill in September 2000 a large wreath was carried which read 'C18'. McKeag, who had died accidentally from drink and drugs, was the notorious UFF gunman nicknamed 'Top Gun'. He was known to be personally responsible for at least a dozen sectarian murders. He had been a teenage member of the NF and Adair's right hand man, taking over command of the Shankill UDA when Adair was jailed in 1994.

Greysteel Killer and C18
In July 2000 Stephen Irwin, a loyalist convicted of the murder of seven people in a UDA attack on the Rising Sun bar in Greysteel, Co Derry at Hallowe'en 1993, was released from the Maze. It was Irwin who shouted 'Trick or Treat' before he opened fire. Just four months after his release Irwin attended a C18 'Remembrance Day' event in London and was photographed shouting slogans and giving the Nazi salute. While in prison Irwin had corresponded with other fascists and sent out pictures of himself for their publications.

The LVF
The Loyalist Volunteer Force website has the following ad in its merchandise section 'Our best item by far yet is the Billy Wright CD Which has been produced by Blood & Honour Combat 18 & has been largely in demand, the CD consists of many songs by prominent Blood & Honour bands with songs dedicated to the Loyalist cause'.

There have been revelations in recent years of strong links between the LVF and nazis in the North West of Britain. These include C18 members and supporters within the British army. In May 1999 C18 members distributed leaflets at Blackburn's football ground attacking Rosemary Nelson, the human rights solicitor murdered by loyalists.

Ian Thompson, a former soldier Royal Irish Regiment, was the LVF's main linkman with Combat 18, he organised the visits of British fascists to Portadown. He was arrested in March 2000 on suspicion of involvement in the murder of Rosemary Nelson. The RUC found the personal details of Combat 18 leaders and scores of nazi music CDs in his home in Hamiltonsbawn, Co Armagh. In 2001 Thompson was sentenced to 9 years for arms offences.

The internet guestbooks of many fascist groups contain support messages for the UDA, LVF, Orange Volunteers, Red Hand Defenders, etc. A support group called the ‘Loyalist Prisoners Welfare Association’ holds fundraisers and events in Britain.

The second leader of the LVF, Mark 'Swinger' Fulton, was found dead in his cell in Maghaberry prison in June 2002. A post mortem showed he had committed suicide. Within hours fascist websites carried tributes to him, including one from C18 which stated. "Mark Fulton. Rest in peace comrade, you were a loyal soldier and brave warrior in our struggle for freedom. You will never be forgotten. Valahalla will welcome such a great man with open arms! condolences sent from all C18 units world wide! 14/88".

National Front
In July 2000 the 'White Nationalist Report', a National Front newsletter, printed a report and picture of NF members selling their literature in the Sandy Row Rangers Supporters Club. The photo included Terry Blackham, their 'National Activities Organiser', who runs the NF anti-refugee campaigns in England. In 1994 Blackham was jailed for 4 years for attempting to smuggle sub-machine guns, a grenade launcher and 2,000 rounds of ammunition to the UDA in East Belfast.

British National Party
The British National Party [BNP] has also been active in the North in recent years. It sells a magazine called 'True Brit' at Orange rallies and at Linfield and Glentoran matches. It is based mainly around Newtonabbey and has also been involved in intimidation of Catholics in Kilkeel, Co Down. In December 1998 it held a wreath laying ceremony at the grave of George Seawright, the DUP politician best know for saying that 'catholics should be incinerated'. His brother, David Seawright, has been active in both the NF and the UVF in Scotland.
The Ulster BNP plans to run in South Belfast in the next general election in the North and say it’s platform will be a return of the death penalty and an end to 'bogus asylum seekers flooding over the border into Ulster'.

Andrew McAlorie has recently reappeared as a BNP spokeperson in the North. McAlorie, a teacher, was last heard of in 1986 when as NI treasurer of the National Front he was jailed for two years for his involvement in the petrol bombing of RUC homes during the 'Ulster Says No' campaign against the Anglo-Irish Agreement.

Ulster Independence Movement
The UIM is a one man band led by David Kerr, formerly prominent in the Ulster National Front in the 1980s. The UIM supports the policy of the 'Third Way', an ideology that supposedly rejects both communism and capitalism. 'Third Way' is connected to the 'International Third Position' in Britain, a somewhat contradictory position as ITP leadership consists of traditionalist catholics. The UIM also professes support for far right groups in America and sells pro-Confederate merchandise on it's website. It also produces a magazine called 'Ulster Nation'.

David Kerr ran as the 'Ulster Third Way' candidate both the General and local elections in June 2001. Describing himself as a 'non-sectarian radical Ulster nationalist', he gathered a less than spectacular 116 votes in West Belfast and a magnificent 28 in the council elections. His campaign may not have been helped by his stated policy of support for free over the counter sales of heroin and cocaine.

Conclusion
The political, paramilitary and criminal links between loyalism and fascism should be no surprise, given that both ideologies are based on extreme right wing supremacist ideas. The regular exposure of such links lead to denials or tepid condemnation by loyalist politicians, but no serious attempt to end them.