Poll

Do you believe that Faith Schools are beneficial in society?

YES
7 (53.8%)
NO
0 (0%)
Don't have much of an affect
0 (0%)
Only certain faiths
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Faith Schools?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Faith Schools?
« on: November 14, 2007, 06:02:40 PM »
I think there is a lot of negativity towards having faith schools, regardless of what religion they are based on.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
Re: Faith Schools?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 07:57:37 PM »
I have nothing against Faith schools as long as they are private and do not preach hatred or fanaticism.  Muslim faith schools should have especially rigorous oversight of their curricula and hiring.   
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

kellymaureen

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 08:10:38 PM »
My parents sent us to a catholic school for high school even though we arent catholic mainly because it was more structured and strict than a public school, and they liked the idea of the uniforms...little did mom and dad know that the boys REALLY loved the uniforms we had to wear ::)
I do think that faith based schools should be regulated as to what they are teaching, there was a muslim school on the news a while back who were teaching young kids that the earth was flat.

Offline Electra

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:17:48 PM »
As its been said, I am very uneasy with Muslim faith schools. I think more or less we have a living proof of indoctrinations Islam can do.

As a general rule, I don't see anything wrong with faith schools.
~Ne mogu nam nauditi, ni gromovi ni oluje, navik'o je Srpski narod da slobodu krvlju kuje~

kellymaureen

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 08:18:51 PM »
My parents sent us to a catholic school for high school even though we arent catholic mainly because it was more structured and strict than a public school, and they liked the idea of the uniforms...little did mom and dad know that the boys REALLY loved the uniforms we had to wear ::)

Yeah, the Catholic school uniforms for women are very immodest. They show too much of the legs. But at least they make them wear skirts.

I'll say, the skirts are pretty short and its mighty cold in the winter.  Back then the girls couldnt wear pants at all, but I think now I see them wearing the same uniform pants as the boys when they are walking by to go to school...I had to wear the skirt, white button down shirt, cardigan and knee socks when I went.

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:01:51 PM »
As its been said, I am very uneasy with Muslim faith schools. I think more or less we have a living proof of indoctrinations Islam can do.

I'm not sure what a "faith school" is - do you mean a private school?

A Yeshiva?  Sure.
A Christian school?  Sure.
A madrassah?  No.

BTW, I'm in favor of vouchers where people can direct where their tax money will go, instead of being forced to pay for public schools AND private schools if they don't want their kids to go to the sewers that many of our public schools are.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 10:51:52 PM »
I think people should go to schools of their own race/religion. While public schools try to remain neutral in politics and stuff, they can't. Like at my school they shove liberal politics down our throat
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 10:56:51 PM »
actually their was a question in my economics class of not having public schools and to what extent education should be (private and public).
 Anyway I belive that Giuliani wants to have school vouchers , because I really think its bs that one have to pay from 5 to 10 K a year for a yeshiva or other private school while others get a free education using everyones taxdollers. I would propose that at least the gov. should pay 1/2- or just give a 5,000 doller check for private schoool. (remember that for public they spend at least 10,000 per child). That should be the very least, then maybe try to have no public schools at all in order for their to be a real market and competition, BUT I think this all should be done somewhat gradually.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:59:43 PM »
actually their was a question in my economics class of not having public schools and to what extent education should be (private and public).
 Anyway I belive that Giuliani wants to have school vouchers , because I really think its bs that one have to pay from 5 to 10 K a year for a yeshiva or other private school while others get a free education using everyones taxdollers. I would propose that at least the gov. should pay 1/2- or just give a 5,000 doller check for private schoool. (remember that for public they spend at least 10,000 per child). That should be the very least, then maybe try to have no public schools at all in order for their to be a real market and competition, BUT I think this all should be done somewhat gradually.
sad think is that many liberal Jews fight against vouchers
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 11:19:50 PM by lou13ss »
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 11:06:44 PM »
I think people should go to schools of their own race/religion. While public schools try to remain neutral in politics and stuff, they can't. Like at my school they shove liberal politics down our throat
Public schools today have a tall order to fill and in most cases are doomed to failure. Way back when when I was in public school they were still functional institutions. Their was no PC garbage to contend with everyone congregated in groups of friends that were of similar backgrounds and kept to themselves. Now and then we would have a little uprising between groups that set the record straight. It worked! Today with all the PC garbage the system festers underlying resentments that cause tension between the different demographics that go unsettled and hamper the learning processes. This is the main reason that public education is a doomed system.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 11:20:32 PM »
Public schools today have a tall order to fill and in most cases are doomed to failure. Way back when when I was in public school they were still functional institutions. Their was no PC garbage to contend with everyone congregated in groups of friends that were of similar backgrounds and kept to themselves. Now and then we would have a little uprising between groups that set the record straight. It worked! Today with all the PC garbage the system festers underlying resentments that cause tension between the different demographics that go unsettled and hamper the learning processes. This is the main reason that public education is a doomed system.
I'm not saying it had a chance, but it still should be eliminated
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 12:06:23 AM »
eh, you're dealing with someone who went to a good public school and liked going to Hebrew school..Yes I actaully was one of those kids who liked Hebrew School and goign to Jr. High Congregation on Saturdays and getting called up by the cantor to sing Adon Olam and Ein Kelyohanu on Shabbat...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

kellymaureen

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 01:24:37 AM »

Yeah, the Catholic school uniforms for women are very immodest. They show too much of the legs. But at least they make them wear skirts.

Tell me about it! My Catholic school required us to wear jumpers and skirts-many of them being too short! But then the school admins went insane and changed the girl's uniforms to skorts! Wich are short...Shorts that look like skirts. By then I left that school. Many Catholic schools are now imposing just shorts and pants for girls, and occasionally skirts on special days.
My skirt was extra long, I was the nerd of the school, my mom never let me wear the short skirts the other girls wore. Oh well, worked out better.

We just had the skirts and they were mid thigh at best....all of them.  No wonder my brother didnt complain about being sent there

kellymaureen

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 01:37:43 AM »

Tell me about it! My Catholic school required us to wear jumpers and skirts-many of them being too short! But then the school admins went insane and changed the girl's uniforms to skorts! Wich are short...Shorts that look like skirts. By then I left that school. Many Catholic schools are now imposing just shorts and pants for girls, and occasionally skirts on special days.
My skirt was extra long, I was the nerd of the school, my mom never let me wear the short skirts the other girls wore. Oh well, worked out better.

We just had the skirts and they were mid thigh at best....all of them.  No wonder my brother didnt complain about being sent there
Mid thigh! Some girls did that too, but once in a while some where sent home to change. It wasn't always enforced, we were allowed to have it I think 3 inches above the knee but they rarely measured it.
 I was such a nerd, I wore it like 4 inches below the knee and buttoned the shirt all the way up  >:( Grrr!

They didnt have anything long, mine wasnt as short because im only 5'5" so my legs arent that long but some were REAL short lol we had to have our shirts buttoned all the way too and socks that reached your knees

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 01:43:36 AM »

We had somewhere between the knee and ankle, as I recall...but it was the 1970s and I wasn't wearing them ;-)

newman

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 02:10:45 AM »

Do you still have your old uniform? :o

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 02:12:59 AM »

Haha.  I imagine you're not the only one who wants to know. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

newman

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 02:16:55 AM »

Haha.  I imagine you're not the only one who wants to know. 

Do the administrators of catholic schools have any idead that those plaid skirts and oxford shoes uniforms are right out of the dirty old men's fantasy catalogue?

kellymaureen

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 02:20:08 AM »

Lol somewhere  :D

newman

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 02:27:03 AM »

Lol somewhere  :D
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P (Droolage!) :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 03:00:56 AM »
I do think that faith based schools should be regulated as to what they are teaching, there was a muslim school on the news a while back who were teaching young kids that the earth was flat.

I think a lot of catholic schools aren't co-ed so your parents could have probably sent you to a non co-ed one. 

Some people go to schools like that for the sports.  A lot of those schools usually have very competitive sports teams annually.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 03:09:04 AM »

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »
Publicly-funded education makes sense to me - children are by definition the future of society.

Publicly-provided education, on the other hand, has been a disaster, at least since the 1960s.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 06:16:46 PM »
Faith school don't like me. Even Jews could learn Torah and even go to the public school, if it were solely for education. But a Jew does need a Jewish school because interacting with non-Jews is a great problem. What about Kosher? A Jewish child can unwittingly violate it in a public school.
So faiths schools are ok when needed. Also Mulims can have their own school for Halal reasons. But, in case of Mulims, the teaching must be watched carefully.