Author Topic: This Jewish Stereotype Bothers Me!  (Read 4787 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: This Jewish Stereotype Bothers Me!
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 07:00:28 AM »
That's my guy Igor Olshansky, number 99 from the Ukraine, not a bad player at all.  Doesn't get much glamour because of the position though.
True not a glamourous position
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 07:04:53 AM »
Speaking of Jews in sports, do you think a Jewish sports fan should take any extra prie when a team wins the championship and the owner is Jewish.  I can think of a number of teams that have won with Jewish owners (Patriots are probably going to do it again in a few weeks in fact), but most of the glamour and recognition goes to the coaches and administrators on the field rather than the guy who found them in the first place.  I don't think this is entirely fair.  After all, isn't the boss, the boss.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 07:08:34 AM »
Speaking of Jews in sports, do you think a Jewish sports fan should take any extra prie when a team wins the championship and the owner is Jewish.  I can think of a number of teams that have won with Jewish owners (Patriots are probably going to do it again in a few weeks in fact), but most of the glamour and recognition goes to the coaches and administrators on the field rather than the guy who found them in the first place.  I don't think this is entirely fair.  After all, isn't the boss, the boss.
Owners i really don'nt care much about.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Kiwi

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 07:12:01 AM »
never liked woody allen
Then don'nt go to liberal upper west side           :::D

Trust me I never plan too! My last trip to New York cured me for life! Tho I do have to return at times, but its a complete military strike, in and out on the plane in less than 8 hours, no luggage   :P ;D
The upper west side is filled with ultra leftists Jewish stereotypes :::D

I believe you mord you don't need to take photo's  :::D I am very happy 100% happy with what you say  O0

And just before other people think something else, New York is a fine city I am sure, just I am not that type of woman, I am a woman that has a 12 foot personal space circle and don't like peanuts in that space.   8;)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 07:27:21 AM »
Take a look at this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_American_sportspeople  Oh yeah, we Jews were never any good at sports! ;D ::)
That site leaves out alot of athelets

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 07:40:53 AM »
Know of any better ones?  Some I have seen list everybody as Jewish, so you know they are not very accurate.  I usually reference www.jewishsports.com, www.jewsinsports.org, and www.jewishsportsreview.com.  Unfortunately, these sites are rarely updated and I already know all the key figures.  It's more fun if you find out someone completely unexpected, but rare indeed.  A lot of times you'll see a Jewish surname and upon further review they turn out to be a born again Christian.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 07:55:10 AM »
http://www.jewishsports.net/BioPages/GaryGubner.htm       

---------------------------------------------------------

GARY GUBNER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sport: Track and Field
Inducted: 2001
Born: December 1, 1942 in New York, New York

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary Gubner broke the World Indoor Shotput record on multiple occasions in 1962, eventually establishing the World indoor record of 64'113/4" (19.805 meters). He was ranked number one in the
World Indoors in 1962 and 1963. Outdoors, he was second in 1962 and fifth in 1963.

Injuries hampered Gubner’s expectations of making the U.S. team at the 1964 U.S. Olympic track and field trials, so he turned his attention to weightlifting and made the U.S. Olympic Weightlifting Team. He narrowly missed medaling, finishing fourth in the Heavyweight class at the 1964 Games.

Gubner went on to establish four Junior World lifting records in the Heavyweight class: 3871/2 pounds in the press; 324 pounds snatch; 4231/2 pounds clean and jerk; and a total pounds 1,135. In
1965, he set a U.S. press mark of 412 pounds en route to lifting 1,180 pounds.

In 1961, after touring Europe with the U.S. track and field team, which included a Shotput victory over the vaunted Soviet entry and a “statement” visit to Friday night services at a Moscow synagogue, Gubner competed in the Sixth Maccabiah Games in Israel, winning gold medals in Shotput, Discus, and Heavyweight Weightlifting.

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 07:57:35 AM »
Yes, thanks Mord, a good site too.  I've been there.  I think they're a little liberal with their induction practices sometimes though.  It should only be the best of the best and no watered down members simply because they are Jewish.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 07:59:08 AM »
Gubner was a great athelete in 3 sports

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »
Sure sounds like it.  I'm not trying to disparage him, but they seem like rather obscure sports to the general populace at least.