Author Topic: Will Smith wins damages over 'Hitler' slur  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ASHISH

• Pro JTFer
Will Smith wins damages over 'Hitler' slur
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »
 UK media group apologizes to Will Smith over 'Hitler was a good person' story

Lawyers for Will Smith say a British media group has apologized for a story that falsely claimed the U.S. actor said Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler was a good person.

Celebrity news and photo service World Entertainment News Ltd., or WENN, published an article in December about a Smith interview that appeared in a Scottish newspaper.

Smith's lawyer, Rachel Atkins, said, "The defendant published an article about the claimant entitled Smith: Hitler was a Good Person. The article alleged that the claimant had declared in an interview that Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler was a good person."

"It wholly misrepresents the claimant's actual words, given in an interview to the Daily Record, a Scottish newspaper and Web site," Atkins said.

WENN apologized for the piece, but Smith's lawyers say that was not enough. WENN has now made a formal apology at London's high court, and agreed to pay unspecified damages.

WENN'S lawyer, John Melville-Smith, says the company accepts that the report was wrong and is apologizing.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: Will Smith wins damages over 'Hitler' slur
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »
While I think Will Smith's comment about hitler was benign, he's still a moron who beleives in vast governmental UFO conspiracies.

(But he'd still make a better candidate than Obama Bin Laden)

Offline qwerty

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 02:33:37 PM »
While I think Will Smith's comment about hitler was benign, he's still a moron who beleives in vast governmental UFO conspiracies.

(But he'd still make a better candidate than Obama Bin Laden)

Protecting the earth from the scum of the universe

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »
Why are all of you defending Will Smith? After all, he's just another affirmative action actor, right?

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:17:55 PM »
Why are all of you defending Will Smith? After all, he's just another affirmative action actor, right?

Yes, he's like all the other Black actors ;D ;)

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:40:11 PM »

Ah, I was going to write a response to this, but then I just realized that you are being sarcastic. 

Acting, sports, and music are professions where it is possible to have a black succeed on his own merits without being affirmative action. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 12:29:59 AM »
Smith's comment was true. He said that Hitler thought he was doing good. Thats probably true, Hitler didn't think he was doing a bad thing, he was just so twisted that his understanding and good and bad was so perverted that it caused him to do what he did.
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:02:30 AM »
Smith's comments were taken out of context.  I am indifferent to Will Smith.  I have nothing positive or negative to say about him, but his comments were portrayed as an endorsement as Hitler, when all Smith was really saying is that Hitler THOUGHT he was a good person.  That Hitler BELIEVED in what he did.  Not that Hitler was right.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
So, if he was misquoted, what was the full comment?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 02:08:29 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/25/people.willsmith.ap/index.html
Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'let me do the most evil thing I can do today.' I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good.' "
And I do agree that Hitler did not have any "guilt."  Some paranoid liberals threw a hissy fit over this, accusing Smith of actually supporting Hitler.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:11:44 PM by EagleEye »

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 11:30:32 PM »
Smith's comments were taken out of context.  I am indifferent to Will Smith.  I have nothing positive or negative to say about him, but his comments were portrayed as an endorsement as Hitler, when all Smith was really saying is that Hitler THOUGHT he was a good person.  That Hitler BELIEVED in what he did.  Not that Hitler was right.
yea, I don't like many hollywood actors and I'm sure he has done bad things, but this isnt one
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 12:09:17 AM »
I disagree with Will Smith's analysis of the fuhrer (ys"vz), but don't know enough about him to say whether he is a good person or not. Few Hollywoodians are.

Several years back, I remember that he was pro-Clinton.