Author Topic: Does anybody get in trouble with family or friends when they discuss politics?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
Recently my wife told me that I discuss politics too much when I'm around friends and family and that most of them aren't interested, and I tend to get a little worked up once I get going.  It's nice to see in this day age of political corruption that the average idiot is so focused on American Idol or sports.  I think I'll just hang in the basement when the in-laws visit and skip hanging out with people so brain dead.  Does anybody else have a problem like this?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Recently my wife told me that I discuss politics too much when I'm around friends and family and that most of them aren't interested, and I tend to get a little worked up once I get going.  It's nice to see in this day age of political corruption that the average idiot is so focused on American Idol or sports.  I think I'll just hang in the basement when the in-laws visit and skip hanging out with people so brain dead.  Does anybody else have a problem like this?
Thats no fun you need to play with their heads. Ask them pointed questions that you know they don't want to answer. Go on a little rant and get them steamed up. You will find even though they may seem disinterested in world events it will make them very uncomfortable to have the truth shoved in their face. With a little luck they will either wake up or not come around which might be for the best ;)
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
I can't talk much about politics with my family either.  So why don't you start your own blog?  That way you can write about whatever you like.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Yeah, sometimes when I'm around some associates or even a bunch of new people, even some family or friends unfortunately, I kind of forget I'm not in the JTF forum and my hatred for Obama and the Islamic Nazis comes spilling out.  I get a lot of dirty looks from Liberal putzes.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
in social situations people tend to avoid politics or religion. or anything deep.

it`s purely a game of trying to be sociable. So people keep their opinions to themselves. And be friendly and not make anybody feel uncomfortable. The idea is to make people feel comfortable.

If they know for sure that some others on the table are on the same page!  then they will sometimes just discuss amongst themselves and ignore everybody else!! that`s not normally considered sociable.. But if there are many converations going on simultaneously so everybody is doing it, then it is fine..

I once got into deep discussions about israeli politics with this right wing guy across the table. Just because the woman next to me had a very annoying voice and wouldn`t shut up. and she wouldn`t have stopped talking otherwise.  She would have bored me to death or to loud moans at the table. So at least when me and that guy spoke about right wing israeli politics, she had nothing she could contribute and she kept completely silent!!  afterwards she said "who was that man""!!!!!!!!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
To be honest, you can't go around preaching or prostylitizing your point of view.  I recommend in a dinner conversation simply stating, "Has anyone heard about what happened with Obama and his pastor?"  And if people seem interested, simply answer that question and ask around what people think.  And keep asking questions...don't preach.  I mean, preach with people who agree with you or who seem very interested..but otherwise keep asking questions..like, "did you know..." or "what do you think of..." or "Why do you feel that way..."
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
You all make very good points.  If any fellow JTFers are ever in the Southwest Virginia area, swing by one night when the wife has her family over.  I need all the help I can get!

Offline spiritus_persona

• Pro JTFer
  • Say NO to Dhimmitude
    • Cultural Jihadist (Warning!  May contain harsh language!)
My Mom and Step-Dad love Obama so much, that every time I ask why, they say that he will be a new face.  Of course the new president will be a new face, be it Barack Yomamma, Hillary Sodom Clinton or Juan McCain.  They just like Hussein because he's black.  The only ones in my family who haven't been brainwashed are my real Dad and my younger Brother.  And they don't even like McCain, either.  My Dad is pro-Israel, but my Brother not so much.
Me: Muslims get offended too easily.
Muslim: What!?  That is an outrage!  Take that back or I kill you!