Author Topic: Interesting story on Crypto-Jew exhibit in Brazil  (Read 1697 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Interesting story on Crypto-Jew exhibit in Brazil
« on: August 05, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »
I think this is very interesting:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/127086

(IsraelNN.com) For the second year in a row, a vivid exhibition tracing the history and experience of the Bnai Anousim (Jews who hid their identity for fear of persecution) is drawing large crowds across Brazil as it tours the vast South American country.

The exhibition, entitled "Crypto-Jews: The Flame that the Inquisition Could Not Extinguish," was designed and produced by Shavei Israel (www.shavei.org), a Jerusalem-based group that reaches out and assists "lost Jews" seeking to return to the Jewish people..
"Bnai Anousim" is the Hebrew term for people whose ancestors were forcibly converted to Catholicism during the time of the Inquisition. Historians have often referred to them as "crypto-Jews" or by the derogatory term "Marranos."

Good Afternoon,

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Interesting story on Crypto-Jew exhibit in Brazil
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »
From www.shavei.org:

Bnei Anousim in Spain

In the early Middle Ages, Spanish Jewry was one of the oldest and most successful Diaspora Jewish communities. But from 1391 onwards, a series of terrible disturbances and great tribulations befell the Jews of Iberia, resulting in unprecedented waves of expulsion, persecution and forced conversions. These tragic events culminated in 1492, when the remaining Jews were formally expelled by Spanish monarchs. Many of those who had been compelled to convert to Catholicism – known by the Hebrew term Bnei Anousim – remained behind, where they nonetheless continued to preserve their Jewish identity and to practice Jewish tradition covertly, away from the prying eyes of the Inquisition and its enforcers. One of the most famous example was the converted Jews from Palma de Mallorca know untill today by the name “chuetas”(pig).

Bnei Anousim in Portugal

In 1497, the Portuguese king presented the Jews living in his realm with a dastardly choice: convert or die. Some chose death, but most of Portuguese Jewry was dragged to the baptismal font and compelled to accept Catholicism against their will. But many of these "New Christians" did their utmost to remain loyal to their Jewish roots, passing down the faith and practices of their ancestors across the generations. And while many were made to pay a heavy price by the Inquisition for their continued fidelity to Judaism, many others somehow succeeded in preserving their Jewish identity. Perhaps the most famous example was the community of Belmonte, in northern Portugal, where some 150 Bnai Anousim were formally restored to the Jewish people two decades ago by a rabbinical court sent from Israel.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 07:23:30 PM »
Interesting.

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:41:18 PM »
From www.shavei.org:

Bnei Anousim in Spain

In the early Middle Ages, Spanish Jewry was one of the oldest and most successful Diaspora Jewish communities. But from 1391 onwards, a series of terrible disturbances and great tribulations befell the Jews of Iberia, resulting in unprecedented waves of expulsion, persecution and forced conversions. These tragic events culminated in 1492, when the remaining Jews were formally expelled by Spanish monarchs. Many of those who had been compelled to convert to Catholicism – known by the Hebrew term Bnei Anousim – remained behind, where they nonetheless continued to preserve their Jewish identity and to practice Jewish tradition covertly, away from the prying eyes of the Inquisition and its enforcers. One of the most famous example was the converted Jews from Palma de Mallorca know untill today by the name “chuetas”(pig).

Bnei Anousim in Portugal

In 1497, the Portuguese king presented the Jews living in his realm with a dastardly choice: convert or die. Some chose death, but most of Portuguese Jewry was dragged to the baptismal font and compelled to accept Catholicism against their will. But many of these "New Christians" did their utmost to remain loyal to their Jewish roots, passing down the faith and practices of their ancestors across the generations. And while many were made to pay a heavy price by the Inquisition for their continued fidelity to Judaism, many others somehow succeeded in preserving their Jewish identity. Perhaps the most famous example was the community of Belmonte, in northern Portugal, where some 150 Bnai Anousim were formally restored to the Jewish people two decades ago by a rabbinical court sent from Israel.

muman613

Muman, Thank you for this. THANK YOU SO MUCH:) :'( :) :'(  (joy and tears)

I will tell you FLAT OUT, that Crypto-Jews ALWAYS feel 'left out' ALWAYS.
  The fear inside that most Crypto-Jewish families have is so terrible.  We keep secrets from each other, We get inquisitive over each-other. There is a RULE in my family: (DO NOT EVER TELL ANYONE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO TELL YOU)  (and after you say- yes, ok) THEN- they MAKE YOU "Swear to G-d" that you will NEVER say anything, and THAT is STRICTLY a Catholic thing.

Families like this also put a HARD front on, but REALLY have an anxiety/paranoia that they will be found out- "What will people find out?" DONT KNOW, it is just a STRONG INNER FEAR. Also, if someone else steals something (I remember this one incident) that someone stole $1oo- out of a teachers desk (I was home sick that whole week-6th grade) this really terrible girl, she said "Paulette is the GUILTY ONE" I WASNT EVEN THERE!!!!!! After she said it MANY times, I BELIEVED HER, can you believe that? And I ADMITTED IT DID IT, and I NEVER did THAT! Thank G-d they FOUND the kid, b/c I CONVINCED myself to just admit it, and HURRY and rcv. my punishment.  I remember my family saying: You know dear, you would never do that! But they looked guilty too. THAT IS EXACTLY what the Life of Portuguese Crypto-Jewish people are like at home. To a T.

In the houses I grew up in, with my family, we had Catholic type pictures all over, and NOBODY is Catholic- NOBODY. The extent of Catholicism, in my family is that the girls and little boys did a "communion" I NEVER did, I was NOT baptized either, right after birth, AT ALL. My grandmother made SURE OF IT- I believe that this one incident made me special.

I remember my little best friend Mary, she brought me to her church, it was Catholic, and she had told me: You can go ahead and have some of the communion (but b4 she told me THIS, she told me G-d would strike me DEAD, if I DID go up there) I SCREAMED!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT want G-d to KILL me today!

Now, Mary was hands DOWN, my BEST friend, but she scared the HELL out of me, while we were growing up, she was really devout, and I was going to hell, if I did NOT convert over to Catholicism-

I never did. Of course, I stood up to her- for THIRTY SIX YEARS. She died ad 42 yrs old.  :'( :'( :'( I miss her. I have always known she loved G-d. But one thing- she ALWAYS knew that G-d had a STRONG hand in MY life.
Muman, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I hope that you all can PLEASE help and appreciate Crypto-Jewish people. We REALLY have been through hell, in our lives, and families, MANY suffering massive nervous breakdowns. THANKS.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:51:03 PM »

Oh yes, and we are HUGE packrats, BIGTIME. I found things hidden today, I hid for myself, on myself, so that NOBODY would EVER read my poems, I found them, and I was SO mad that I didnt hide them BETTER.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 12:19:57 AM »

Oh yes, and we are HUGE packrats, BIGTIME. I found things hidden today, I hid for myself, on myself, so that NOBODY would EVER read my poems, I found them, and I was SO mad that I didnt hide them BETTER.

You are precious my friend... I know where you are coming from... :)

muman613

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 01:06:37 AM »

You write poems?

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 01:11:09 AM »

You write poems?

Yes, Hero! All the TIME!
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 01:11:53 AM »

You write poems?

Yes, Hero! All the TIME!

Good I do sometimes

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 03:20:42 AM »
Here's what I don't understand. If Crypto Jews maintained their real religion while pretending to follow something else for the public in order to survive, then why weren't they normal at home? I mean, this might be kind of ignorant but why would the fantasy continue to exist within the home when they could feel safe and the prying eyes weren't there? Or is it that they always feared that even their own family within the home would betray them?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 03:36:05 AM »
Here's what I don't understand. If Crypto Jews maintained their real religion while pretending to follow something else for the public in order to survive, then why weren't they normal at home? I mean, this might be kind of ignorant but why would the fantasy continue to exist within the home when they could feel safe and the prying eyes weren't there? Or is it that they always feared that even their own family within the home would betray them?

Ruby,

I surely don't know the real answer, but I am willing to make a guess. Because it was a matter of life and death if ANYONE found out you were still practicing any form of Judaism you could die. It is difficult to maintain a facade in the public. Eventually all the deception will make you paranoid of everyone around you. Imagine if a child got mad at a parent for doing what parents have to do, and the child turning in the parent for being a Jew. It is a horrible shame that people have to go through life feeling ashamed of who they really are.

muman613

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 04:32:18 AM »

Ruby,

I surely don't know the real answer, but I am willing to make a guess. Because it was a matter of life and death if ANYONE found out you were still practicing any form of Judaism you could die. It is difficult to maintain a facade in the public. Eventually all the deception will make you paranoid of everyone around you. Imagine if a child got mad at a parent for doing what parents have to do, and the child turning in the parent for being a Jew. It is a horrible shame that people have to go through life feeling ashamed of who they really are.

muman613

The Life of a Crypto Jew- it is SAD. Crypto means HIDE- hidden. I can only really answer for MY family.. SECRETIVE. NEVER EVER show ANY type of "Faith in G-d" in public, just "stfup" about it. MASSIVE inferiority complexes, countered by an "IN YA FACE" tpye brassiness- A Crypto Jew, wont put anyone down either (most times) it leaves the door WIDE open, for someone to attack you..& when a crypto is attacked- HEAVEN forbid- (because I KNOW I AM FREE) I WILL fight you like a dirty DOG.

In my own life.. if I see a problem that EVERYONE wants to blame SOMEBODY, I will just ACCEPT the brunt of the blame, jus go ahead and assume responsibility...(in My head, the guilt will be OUTED faster)  Crypto Jews will ALWAYS remain on the OFFENSE..the defense is where I DONT WANT TO BE.  So heres the little catch..studying peoples weaknesses, if you HAVE to come out one day, and jump THEM- here is where it is BAD: Cryptos will ofren ATTACK before ANY trouble is even existing. The other day I saw on the forum: "Are you a Jew"  My reaction--> I FLAT OUT felt like it WAS an attack against me- its hard for me to believe that people are not out out to get me, I ALWAYS believe that people are out to get me, and they want to expose some darkness in me, that just does not even exist.

It is hard to believe that I am not on psychotropic meds, huh?
  It is just a crazy mindset, that I CONTINUALLY have to pray and ASK HaShem to PLEASE HELP ME with.

Thanks, Thank YOU for considering me a SOMBODY, b/c really SAD to say, I have always fel tht people here, just could NOT stand me, and thats the truth. But this is the way I feel about many Jews that have been in my life.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »
I can understand the crypto-Jewish mindset continuing in places like the Middle East, but Paulette, why were your family still crypto Jews, when they lived in the United States and weren't subject to pogroms just for being Jewish? I'm sorry you had to go through so much pain and suffering. I don't believe in forcing religion on anyone who doesn't want it and I don't believe in making people afraid. It makes me angry that some so-called Christians thought they could use those sort of tactics. Did they really think it would get them genuine converts? So much pain and suffering. It's not fair. :(