0 (0%)
1800s
3 (12%)
20s
0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What was your favorite time period?  (Read 3297 times)

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
What was your favorite time period?
« on: November 16, 2008, 07:33:10 PM »
Random Poll. I am interested in your answers. Thank You for your casting your vote.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
Re: What was your favorite time period?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:39:53 PM »
Even though there was inflation in the late 70s and it is not seen as a generally great economic time, houses relative to salaries were still reasonable. My father working in a warehouse could purchase two multidwelling homes in New York! People could still find jobs and college meant something back then! Today everyone goes to college and it means much less. Even technical degrees.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »
80s Reagan Era.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:46:09 PM »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »
Reagan sucked in MANY aspects. Need I remind you that he visited dead Nazis in Bitberg, germany's Nazi cemetery. When the lousy PLO terrorists killed over 100 US Marines in Lebanon in a suicide bomb, Reagan withdrew US troops and NEVER retaliated. He also sold weapons to terrorist IRAN. And probably worst of all he F...ed up the econonmy so much be borrowing and borrowing money, that by the time I graduated college in the early 90s, the only job for a Columbia University finance major was elementary school teacher in the NYS  sh..t school system. And my resume's been messed up ever since. They had hotels recruiting on campus for "bellhop" positions for ____'s   sake !!  At Columbia University!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
80s Reagan Era.

For the British, 80s spells Thatcher Era.

strong conservative leader. BOOMING economy.

err, and punks! I'm not sure that they were that unfriendly.. They just had funny haircuts.  People were more friendly then.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:37:45 PM »
Reagan sucked in MANY aspects. Need I remind you that he visited dead Nazis in Bitberg, germany's Nazi cemetery. When the lousy PLO terrorists killed over 100 US Marines in Lebanon in a suicide bomb, Reagan withdrew US troops and NEVER retaliated. He also sold weapons to terrorist IRAN. And probably worst of all he F...ed up the econonmy so much be borrowing and borrowing money, that by the time I graduated college in the early 90s, the only job for a Columbia University finance major was elementary school teacher in the NYS  sh..t school system. And my resume's been messed up ever since. They had hotels recruiting on campus for "bellhop" positions for ____'s   sake !!  At Columbia University!

Im sorry ItalianZionist...

But Reagan era was a time I had plenty of jobs in the computer and aerospace industry. It was a tough time but Reagan did a good job considering how screwed up Carter left this country.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 08:45:16 PM »

But Reagan era was a time I had plenty of jobs in the computer and aerospace industry. It was a tough time but Reagan did a good job considering how screwed up Carter left this country.

muman613

That's true muman. But sure there were going to be lots of aerospace and computer jobs since Reagan funded the defense department and those brands of industries. Reagans style of economics made things appear good toward the end of his administration economically, but after he left, the impact of all that borrowing messed up jobs in other indutries. Basically when he got out of office why would he give a darn how the economy was?..And there is definitely no defense in not avenging the souls of those poor brave marines..Reagan just left, setting a precedent for terrorists to become emboldened. AND YOU WOULD THINK THAT REAGAN WOULD GET IRAN BACK FOR THE HOSTAGE CRISIS??Instead the fool sold them weapons..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »

muman613

That's true muman. But sure there were going to be lots of aerospace and computer jobs since Reagan funded the defense department and those brands of industries. Reagans style of economics made things appear good toward the end of his administration economically, but after he left, the impact of all that borrowing messed up jobs in other indutries. Basically when he got out of office why would he give a darn how the economy was?..And there is definitely no defense in not avenging the souls of those poor brave marines..Reagan just left, setting a precedent for terrorists to become emboldened. AND YOU WOULD THINK THAT REAGAN WOULD GET IRAN BACK FOR THE HOSTAGE CRISIS??Instead the fool sold them weapons..

ItalianZionist,

It is true that Reagan did a lot of things which in retrospect are not so great. But in the end I think he helped bring about the downfall of the Soviet Union. He stood firm against the Commies and the threat from Islam was just appearing on the horizon. I remember the Beirut Barracks bombing in 1983 [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beirut_barracks_bombing ] . I still have the Time Magazine article in my scrap book. I think Reagan was not prepared to deal with this threat.

muman613

U.S. President Ronald Reagan called the attack a "despicable act" and pledged to keep a military force in Lebanon. Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, who had privately advised the administration against ever having stationed U.S. Marines in Lebanon,[11] said there would be no change in the U.S.'s Lebanon policy. On October 24 French President François Mitterrand visited the French bomb site. It was not an official visit, and he only stayed for a few hours, but he did declare: "We will stay." U.S. Vice President George H. W. Bush toured the Marine bombing site on October 26 and said the U.S. "would not be cowed by terrorists."

In retaliation for the attacks, France launched an airstrike in the Beqaa Valley against alleged Islamic Revolutionary Guards positions. President Reagan assembled his national security team and planned to target the Sheik Abdullah barracks in Baalbek, Lebanon, which housed Iranian Revolutionary Guards believed to be training Hezbollah fighters.[12] A joint American-French air assault on the camp where the bombing was planned was also approved by Reagan and Mitterrand. Defense Secretary Weinberger, however, lobbied successfully against the missions.

Besides a few shellings, there was no serious retaliation for the Beirut bombing from the Americans. In December 1983, U.S. aircraft attacked Syrian targets in Lebanon, but this was in response to Syrian missile attacks on planes, not the barracks bombing.

In the meantime, the attack gave a boost to the growth of the Shi'ite organization Hezbollah. Hezbollah denied involvement in the attacks but was seen by Lebanese as involved nonetheless as it praised the "two martyr mujahideen" who "set out to inflict upon the U.S. Administration an utter defeat not experienced since Vietnam ..."[13] Hezbollah was now seen by many as "the spearhead of the sacred Muslim struggle against foreign occupation".

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 08:53:07 PM »
 Its NOT here- the 1940's- the rest is a glimmer that FAILS in comparison to what America WAS.

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 08:53:15 PM »
80s Reagan Era.

were you alive in that era?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 08:55:17 PM »
80s Reagan Era.

I doubt it, I believe he says he is only 14 or 15...

muman613

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 08:56:23 PM »
The 50's.  

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 08:57:24 PM »
80s Reagan Era.

I was alive in that era and when I started a discussion group a while back about 80s culture people questioned why I did it because I was supposedly too young. Yet I remembered more than people thought I did.

PJC can admire the 80s whether or not he was alive in that era. I sometimes wish I could have been born in an earlier era. In some ways it would have been harder because I'm a woman. In other ways, I think it would have been better.

I chose the 50s from that poll because from everything I've read it seemed like a much better time than right now.

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:07:02 PM »
80s Reagan Era.

I was alive in that era and when I started a discussion group a while back about 80s culture people questioned why I did it because I was supposedly too young. Yet I remembered more than people thought I did.

PJC can admire the 80s whether or not he was alive in that era. I sometimes wish I could have been born in an earlier era. In some ways it would have been harder because I'm a woman. In other ways, I think it would have been better.

I chose the 50s from that poll because from everything I've read it seemed like a much better time than right now.

Well, the 80's...I WAS THERE! IT WAS FAB! YESSSS IT WASSSSSSSSS!   
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 09:09:22 PM »
I like the early 1800s.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 09:11:53 PM »
The 80's where great.  Ronald Regan, lots of tasteless movies, one hit wonders, and ALF.  I'd take them after the 50's.

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 09:13:01 PM »
I like the early 1800s.

Dang Scriabin, you have Patton syndrome too! ME TOO!!
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 09:16:14 PM »
I like the early 1800s.

Yes, indeed.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 09:17:21 PM »
I like the early 1800s.

Didn't Patton study reincarnation?

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:11 PM »

muman613

ItalianZionist,

It is true that Reagan did a lot of things which in retrospect are not so great. But in the end I think he helped bring about the downfall of the Soviet Union. He stood firm against the Commies and the threat from Islam was just appearing on the horizon. I remember the Beirut Barracks bombing in 1983 [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beirut_barracks_bombing ] . I still have the Time Magazine article in my scrap book. I think Reagan was not prepared to deal with this threat.

muman613

U.S. President Ronald Reagan called the attack a "despicable act" and pledged to keep a military force in Lebanon. Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, who had privately advised the administration against ever having stationed U.S. Marines in Lebanon,[11] said there would be no change in the U.S.'s Lebanon policy. On October 24 French President François Mitterrand visited the French bomb site. It was not an official visit, and he only stayed for a few hours, but he did declare: "We will stay." U.S. Vice President George H. W. Bush toured the Marine bombing site on October 26 and said the U.S. "would not be cowed by terrorists."

In retaliation for the attacks, France launched an airstrike in the Beqaa Valley against alleged Islamic Revolutionary Guards positions. President Reagan assembled his national security team and planned to target the Sheik Abdullah barracks in Baalbek, Lebanon, which housed Iranian Revolutionary Guards believed to be training Hezbollah fighters.[12] A joint American-French air assault on the camp where the bombing was planned was also approved by Reagan and Mitterrand. Defense Secretary Weinberger, however, lobbied successfully against the missions.

Besides a few shellings, there was no serious retaliation for the Beirut bombing from the Americans. In December 1983, U.S. aircraft attacked Syrian targets in Lebanon, but this was in response to Syrian missile attacks on planes, not the barracks bombing.

In the meantime, the attack gave a boost to the growth of the Shi'ite organization Hezbollah. Hezbollah denied involvement in the attacks but was seen by Lebanese as involved nonetheless as it praised the "two martyr mujahideen" who "set out to inflict upon the U.S. Administration an utter defeat not experienced since Vietnam ..."[13] Hezbollah was now seen by many as "the spearhead of the sacred Muslim struggle against foreign occupation".

Ahh, Reagan was a big dummy. And as far as ending the soviet Union, now we have 30 enemies (former soviet states) instead of one.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 10:38:17 PM »
<snip>
Ahh, Reagan was a big dummy. And as far as ending the soviet Union, now we have 30 enemies (former soviet states) instead of one.

So who did you support for the Republican nomination in 1980? Anything would be better than Carter, who IMO, is the real president to blame for todays problems...

muman613

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 11:39:42 PM »
today...because tomorrow we'll learn from yesterday.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 11:47:01 PM »
The 1950's when Israel was kicking some major [censored]
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 12:37:19 AM »
The early 60's or "Camelot Years".  The Kennedy's (not making a political statement here), the Dick van Dyke Show, The Beatles, James Bond movies with Sean Connery, The Mercury 7 astronauts, big cars and cheap gas, etc.

It was a time of hope and innocence. And then everything went to h*ll.