Author Topic: Are you for or against the death penalty?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Are you for or against the death penalty?
« on: November 23, 2008, 05:19:34 AM »
There is only one reason why I am not sure about this issue.  Every moral reason I can think of tells me that there should be a death penalty for capital crimes.  Except one.  It is undeniable that rarely, a person is wrongly convicted.  Therefore it follows that it is likely that in rare cases, a person will be wrongly put to death.  The idea of killing an innocent person is abhorrent to me.  Maybe the answer is raising the burden of proof from reasonable doubt to no doubt in capital offences.  What do you guys think?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Are you for or against the death penalty?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 05:56:41 AM »
I know what you're saying. Even a good justice system can end up putting the wrong people in prison or put them to death. However if you change the condition to no doubt, nobody would ever be put to death again. It's a legal impossibility.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:50:27 AM »
The death penalty should only be used where the person committed a crime is guilty without any shadow of doubt. Also it should only be used where premeditated murder or mayhem has been committed. What is the point of housing or feeding a homicidal maniac for years if this person has no chance of rehabilitation. In the cases where evidence is weak but is enough to convict the person should be incarcerated until the day they serve their time or stronger evidence comes to light. 
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:12:10 AM »
For the death penalty
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »
The death penalty should only be used where the person committed a crime is guilty without any shadow of doubt. Also it should only be used where premeditated murder or mayhem has been committed. What is the point of housing or feeding a homicidal maniac for years if this person has no chance of rehabilitation. In the cases where evidence is weak but is enough to convict the person should be incarcerated until the day they serve their time or stronger evidence comes to light. 

Agreed

Offline Cato

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 01:15:37 PM »
In S. Africa, 30 years ago, rapists were routinely strung up, and reported rapes were relatively infrequent. Now that capital punishment is abolished, there is a reported rape about every ten seconds.

In the European context, what bothers me is that for every convicted murderer kept in jail, there are a whole bunch of decent people outside working away their lives to meet the extraordinary cost of keeping him there.

Sure, there will be occasional mistakes with capital punishment, but the number of innocents kiled in this way will be far less than the number of innocents murdered where the deterrent effect of capital punishment is not available. I know this is anathema as a legal argument, but it's true none the less.

By the way, ever noticed how Blair and the other supposedly anti-capital punishment liberals raised no objections to the hanging of Saddam Hussein? 

Offline GodGunsAndGlory

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 01:25:52 PM »
For it. The next day too. We can't stand to let them stay around in jail.

None of this allowing murderers to get back out on the streets crap, all murderers should be put to death.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »
I am for it and I think Israel should bring it back for Muslims
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 01:42:51 PM »
It is undeniable that rarely, a person is wrongly convicted.
I don't believe that this happens. What happens is that schvartze dirtbags are able to get bigshot ACLU lawyers (pro bono) that are able to poke all kinds of holes in the DNA evidence, crime labs, or even invent theories of being framed, and judges believe it 20 years after the fact.

Also, do know that in Britain, the worst sentence that anyone can get for even the most heinous premeditated murder is about twenty years. You are fooling yourselves if you think the American left won't go after life imprisonment without parole next once they abolish capital punishment.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »
In S. Africa, 30 years ago, rapists were routinely strung up, and reported rapes were relatively infrequent. Now that capital punishment is abolished, there is a reported rape about every ten seconds.

For blatant textbook rapes they beat the woman, the rapist is caught. We know it was him .  They should be castrated and they can bleed to death.

In the European context, what bothers me is that for every convicted murderer kept in jail, there are a whole bunch of decent people outside working away their lives to meet the extraordinary cost of keeping him there.

Sure, there will be occasional mistakes with capital punishment, but the number of innocents kiled in this way will be far less than the number of innocents murdered where the deterrent effect of capital punishment is not available. I know this is anathema as a legal argument, but it's true none the less.

<snip>

There is an answer to the cost issue too

I am not big on history.. maybe it was the soviet union, that forced prisoners to work. They built some great stuff. It was pure slave labour , but it was very effective!

Shlomo: EDITED - please use appropriate language!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:50:46 PM by Shlomo »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 01:57:59 PM »
But isn't the death penalty an easy way out for certain criminals?  How about putting them in solitary confinement forever?  So they suffer from their madness?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »
You Beat them

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 02:16:44 PM »
But isn't the death penalty an easy way out for certain criminals?  How about putting them in solitary confinement forever?  So they suffer from their madness?

if a person ls really evil he should get capital punishment. If he doesn't then they may change their mind and let him out. Killing him would give the victim some peace that that won't happen.

We are in a world life as in  "life imprisonment" doesn't mean life.

The slave labour option makes alot of sense. Though maybe it would mean less jobs available!

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 02:20:39 PM »

if a person ls really evil he should get capital punishment. If he doesn't then they may change their mind and let him out. Killing him would give the victim some peace that that won't happen.

The slave labour option makes alot of sense. Though maybe it would mean less jobs available!

Bring back more Chain Gangs and make them work everyday in all weather and make the suffer

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 03:13:43 PM »

But let's say this criminal who is totally evil made a few people suffer really badly?  Ending his life would be an easy way out..no suffering no pain for the rest of his life. ANd let's say he doesn't fear death?  PUtting him in a dungeon to be revisited each year to be beaten..wouldn't that be a viable punishment?  Some say that Gd should do the killing and not us in the name of justice.  What do you think of that thought?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »
PUtting him in a dungeon to be revisited each year to be beaten..wouldn't that be a viable punishment?
But the leftists that hate the death penalty hate torture (or even just the threat of it) even more. Why do you think Gitmo is being closed?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 04:20:12 PM »
death penalty for murderers, pedophiles, rapists, terrorists.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 04:54:39 PM »

But let's say this criminal who is totally evil made a few people suffer really badly?  Ending his life would be an easy way out..no suffering no pain for the rest of his life. ANd let's say he doesn't fear death?  PUtting him in a dungeon to be revisited each year to be beaten..wouldn't that be a viable punishment?  Some say that Gd should do the killing and not us in the name of justice.  What do you think of that thought?

If you were to be told you'd be put to death, would you see that as an easy way out, no suffering and no pain for the rest of your life?
I doubt it. 
Practically speaking, it  deals with the problem. That's the primary thing. As a secondary measure, torture provides additional revenge and a deterrent.

In the case of a classic rapist, a sure blatant textbook case, he beat some innocent woman, we know he did it..  I think cutting his knob off and letting him bleed to death, or cutting off another limb if it helps, is a form of capital punishment that would involve sufficient torture.

G-d is largely hidden in this era we are living in, and we have always been expected to wage wars ourselves.  So similarly, I would say, on an individual level. An evil person or nation is a threat to you, we can fight them, kill them.. For a nation you have the collateral damage issue, it's usually about fighting/killing them until they back down. For a person, you don't have the collateral damage issue, it's far simpler.

And in this day and age. As mentioned. If a person is kept imprisoned, even if beaten every day. There is a risk that he will be let out. First concern should be the practical one, that he isn't let out, the only way to guarantee that is killing him.  Or even he as he is beaten may have hope of getting out, and he may reoffend too, criminals often do.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 08:16:33 PM »

etc

fair enough.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 08:29:11 PM »
   I'm believe in exercising caution in cases where there is doubt since we don't want to murder innocent people. On the other hand, once it is established that the suspect indeed is guilty beyond reasonable doubt, the process shouldn't be made to linger on indefinitely because the suspect may feel a little pain. Afterall, this needs to be punishment for their crimes. 
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 09:36:14 PM »
I am for death penalty!

Liberals kill innocent babies under the guise of protecting women's "reproductive" rights!

But want to show compassion to terrorists.

2nd time rapists and pedophiles must be given death penalty.

Restraining evil is showing real love to our fellow citizens.
Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

Online Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »
I am for death penalty!

Liberals kill innocent babies under the guise of protecting women's "reproductive" rights!

But want to show compassion to terrorists.

Quoted for truth.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 10:12:51 PM »

I disagree with you. The first time an animal commits such a bestial, abominable act should warrant execution.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 10:31:35 PM »
<snip>
<snip>

I knew somebody - a guy - that had been "molested" by a female pedophile as a child..  He said it was one of his best memories.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 10:33:31 PM »
<snip>
<snip>

I knew somebody - a guy - that had been "molested" by a female pedophile as a child..  He said it was one of his best memories.

:::D :::D :::D Oh man lucky guy  :::D :::D :::D