Author Topic: Book recommendation: Why Faith Matters  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
Re: Book recommendation: Why Faith Matters
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 07:37:03 PM »
I attended one of the debates between Hitchens and Wolpe in New York. Unfortunately, Rabbi Wolpe is a weak debater and got run right over by Hitchens.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »
I attended one of the debates between Hitchens and Wolpe in New York. Unfortunately, Rabbi Wolpe is a weak debater and got run right over by Hitchens.

I find that hard to believe.  Hitchens isn't exactly a great debator.  I could out argue him, and I'd wager that several people on this forum could.  Rabbi Wolpe, in the debate against Sam Harris, was quite convincing, I thought.

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 08:20:28 PM »

I find that hard to believe.  Hitchens isn't exactly a great debater.  I could out argue him, and I'd wager that several people on this forum could.  Rabbi Wolpe, in the debate against Sam Harris, was quite convincing, I thought.

perhaps Wolpe was having an off night, It can happen to anyone. As a matter of fact,The two of them were doing a "debate tour" that covered many cities, so there might have been some fatigue involved.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 09:02:34 PM »

I find that hard to believe.  Hitchens isn't exactly a great debator.  I could out argue him, and I'd wager that several people on this forum could.  Rabbi Wolpe, in the debate against Sam Harris, was quite convincing, I thought.

You or muman said a moment ago that you agree on alot of things, even having the same thoughts.  I noted that, it's quite significant. You should have a warning in your signature.

Though you are actually less educated when it comes to reform and orthodox.

Firstly, you should put Rabbi in quotation marks for "Rabbi" Wolpe. Reform Minister Wolpe would be more appropriate.

Wolpe lost the debate completely. He was ridiculous.   Besides the fact that his statements about judaism were all wrong as expected.