Author Topic: Cheney: Israel did not ask US permission  (Read 955 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Cheney: Israel did not ask US permission
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »
US vice president Dick Cheney says Israel did not seek Washington's approval for launching a ground offensive into the Gaza Strip.
Columns of military vehicles and what the Israeli army described as "a sizeable number of troops" entered Gaza on Saturday night.

The Israeli ground operation was reportedly backed by an intense air and artillery bombardment.

Speaking to CBS's "Face the Nation", Cheney said the Israeli ground invasion was most probably carried out after Israeli leaders came to the conclusion that an air campaign was not enough to take out the infrastructure of Hamas.

Israel had earlier stated that through its military campaign, it seeks to topple the Hamas government, which took control of the Gaza Strip in June 2007 after winning the Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC) elections in January 2006.

"After this operation there will not be a single Hamas building left standing in Gaza, and we plan to change the rules of the game," armed forces deputy chief of staff Brigadier General Dan Harel was quoted by Ynet as saying.

"We don't plan to retake the Gaza Strip but there are several places we control now and will control later," said a senior Israeli military official. “If it will be needed, we are prepared to stay there."

"They didn't seek clearance or approval from us, certainly," said the US vice president.

Cheney's remarks came after the Israeli website Debkafiles cited sources in Washington as saying that US President George W. Bush had given a green light to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert for an all-out military operation in Gaza.

President Bush had also reportedly promised Israel to veto any UN Security Council resolution against Israel.

After its meeting on Sunday, the world body failed to agree on a united approach to resolve the crisis.

"Once again, the world is watching in dismay the dysfunctionality of the Security Council," UN General Assembly Chief Miguel d'Escoto said.

According to diplomatic sources, the US blocked a Security Council resolution, with US Deputy Ambassador Alejandro Wolff arguing that an official statement that criticizes both Israel and Hamas would not be helpful.
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=80585&sectionid=3510203

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
Re: Cheney: Israel did not ask US permission
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:31:46 PM »
Why in the world would anyone require consent to engage in an act of self defense? The reaction of the world is just bizarre. This is from the man who defended water boarding and other forms of interrogation to protect the United States from another  attack.

"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »
Did Cheney have permission to shoot that poor jerk that time during hunting? Worry about himself! >:(

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 07:32:46 PM »
I heard this also and I would have like to hear it in the context of the entire press conference, or interview, or whatever it was.  Because I don't know what Cheney is getting at.  Is he implying that Israel SHOULD have sought US approval, or was he simply saying that Israel did not seek US approval.  Of course, trying to get the truth from the media is like trying to find a conservative in Seattle--it's not impossible, but it's unlikely.

If Cheney made that statement because he was ticked off that Israel defended itself without the approval of the United States, then he can take a flying leap.  But I don't know if that's what he meant.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »
Did Cheney have permission to shoot that poor jerk that time during hunting? Worry about himself! >:(

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:34:53 PM »
Maybe he was trying to distance America from Israel's actions. 

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »

:::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D Yeah, like I'd ever go with him hunting! :P :P :P :P :P :P

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »

Did you know that the show "Two and 1/2 men" was originally going to be about what happens when Cheney goes hunting with three men?
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »

Did you know that the show "Two and 1/2 men" was originally going to be about what happens when Cheney goes hunting with three men?

Are you serious? I didn't know that.