Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 14190 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: Hunting
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 02:49:53 PM »
Crossbow hunting should not be banned People hunt with the second image more then the first

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »
It is totally repulsive to me, I am so disgusted just by the thought of it.

Especially disgusting is 'big game hunting' because it is exceptionally cruel.

I think hunting is quite a bit more humane than the way animals are slaughtered and sold to grocery stores, those slaughter houses have horrible conditions.

If the person is eating the meat, what is the problem? I'm sure it's a lot healthier than the food sold in supermarkets with growth hormones and other crap they inject into the chickens.

I think if animals are to be slaughtered at all, than it must be as painless and humane as possible. I am a vegan and I wouldn't even wear leather because I don't won't to be responsible for cruelty to animals.

But hunting is a cruel way to kill an animal. Some hunters like to use crossbow which is horrific, but a shot gun kill is most likely prolonged and painful too. And of course there are hunting traps which I assume everyone here objects to because they are basically a torture device.

Everything comes from animals regardless if we think so or not though, if you ever taken headache medicine, they use the lining of pig to make the pill capsules.

What do you wear for shoes? Most shoes are made out of leather or some sort of material, shirts made from cotton, plastics come from oil which are from degrading/dead organisms.

A shotgun is the most effective, my uncle had to put down his dog that was dying of cancer and he was very sad to have to do it but the dog was suffering and used a shotgun to put the dog down. It was quick and painless, the dog did not feel a thing.

Eating meat is just natural human instinct, plus they would eat us if they had the chance.

Have you ever watched Discovery Channel or the show Planet Earth? The way those animals die is probably much much more painful than by any shotgun, I don't think a shark sinking it's teeth into a seal or a lion ripping a zebra to pieces is exactly a pleasant experience.
If its a matter of life or death there is no question about it. I would take the medicine even though it must be tested on animals and possibly contain animal extracts. Oil doesn't count as animal, besides it is mostly comprised of ancient plant, and very primitive lifeforms. http://www.autobahngold.de/erkennenelektronischestesten.htm

Now animals would eat us or that the cause suffer to other animals but we should know better, that's why we are humans and they are beasts.

Of course I am in favor of mercy killing a sick or severely wounded animal.

I think it is our free choice to eat animals or not to eat. I respect your decision.

But if I like to eat one time in the week a roast there is nothing wrong with it.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
Crossbow hunting should not be banned People hunt with the second image more then the first

Yes, but the bow is not accurate enough for a beginner. The crossbow is more like a rifle and for shure the better choice for average people.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 02:52:16 PM »
There is no question that a bullet to the brain gives a swift death. I think no hunter can guaranty that all his  kills are such a perfect shot.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »
There is no question that a bullet to the brain gives a swift death. I think no hunter can guaranty that all his  kills are such a perfect shot.

The butcher can fail to in using the captive-bolt pistol properly.

I agree as far as only skilled people should hunt.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 02:57:50 PM »
I don't categorically deny the right of man to eat animal. Although some species should be respected and not eaten. Specifically- whales and dolphins, apes, elephants, parrots- for their higher intelegence; dogs, cats, and horses- because they were especially domesticated to be pets/companions/work for man.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
I wouldn't hunt but I think it's ok if people do it if they are doing it for food purposes and the animal dies quickly. The only other reason that an animal might justifiably be hunted is if they pose a direct threat to human life and there aren't any other viable options.

I don't like the idea of people hunting for sport, it seems as if they're killing something to have fun. I have a real problem with that because I don't see how a nice person could have fun by killing an animal recreationally. I mean most people would think someone was sick in the head if they went around a neighborhood shooting dogs and cats and laughing because it was fun and drinking beer to celebrate.

I especially hate it when people "hunt" lions, wolves, cougars, or other animals that are just hunted for the sport aspect and not for any real purpose other than killing for fun.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »
I don't categorically deny the right of man to eat animal. Although some species should be respected and not eaten. Specifically- whales and dolphins, apes, elephants, parrots- for their higher intelegence; dogs, cats, and horses- because they were especially domesticated to be pets/companions/work for man.

I agree with you and there are many more.

I think Judaism is not so wrong with it's restrictions.

I rarely eat animals that are not allowed by kashruth, althrough sometimes I eat pork and rabbit and it is allowed at least for me.

The other animals I would eat too, but only if it is an issue of survival.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »
I wouldn't hunt but I think it's ok if people do it if they are doing it for food purposes and the animal dies quickly. The only other reason that an animal might justifiably be hunted is if they pose a direct threat to human life and there aren't any other viable options.

I don't like the idea of people hunting for sport, it seems as if they're killing something to have fun. I have a real problem with that because I don't see how a nice person could have fun by killing an animal recreationally. I mean most people would think someone was sick in the head if they went around a neighborhood shooting dogs and cats and laughing because it was fun and drinking beer to celebrate.

I especially hate it when people "hunt" lions, wolves, cougars, or other animals that are just hunted for the sport aspect and not for any real purpose other than killing for fun.

I am with you Ruby.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 03:29:06 PM »

I rarely eat animals that are not allowed by kashruth, althrough sometimes I eat pork and rabbit and it is allowed at least for me.

Huh?

Pork is never Kosher... Who told you that Pork is kosher for you?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
According to Judaism it is wrong to hunt. There is a proscribed way to Slaughter animals and it is called Schechting.

A Jew can hunt as long as the animal is given as food to a gentile. I have heard this from my Rabbi.

From Chabad site: http://www.chabad.org/kids/noahsark/default_cdo/aid/533783/jewish/Animals-Rights.htm

Animals Rights

Question:

What is Judaism's view on hunting? What rights do animals have according to Judaism?

Answer:

Some of the worst abuse of animals was, and still is, carried out in the name of sport. A favorite Roman sport was the "hunting" of wild animals inside the amphitheater, and pitting wild animals against each other. During the reign of Augustus Caesar, more than 3000 wild animals were slaughtered in front of howling Roman mobs. Kings and noblemen throughout the ages hunted a multitude of wild animals — birds, stags, boars, and others. One nobleman in the seventeenth century CE is reputed to have killed more than 4,000 red deer during a lifetime of hunting. How many were wounded and crippled has not been recorded.

Until the eighteenth century the general view among people was that animals have no rights and no feelings. Then some voices began to be raised against cruelty to animals: Finally, in the early years of the nineteenth century, first Britain and then France passed laws forbidding cruelty to animals, under threat of punishment. In many countries humane societies were organized to work for the prevention of cruelty to animals. These societies have influenced governments to pass laws to punish people who mistreat animals.

In the United States the first humane society was organized in New York in 1866, under the name of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). There are now hundreds of similar societies in the U.S. and many others throughout the world.

There are people who go to all sorts of extremes in their attitude to animals. Some believe that it is wrong to kill creatures (animals) to feed other creatures (humans); and they will therefore eat no fish, meat or fowl. Some believe that it is wrong to use animals in medical research. Some people believe that certain animals are sacred. There is one sect in India, called Jainists, to whom all living things are sacred; they sweep the ground while walking lest they trample an insect!

TZA'AR BA'ALEI CHAIM

It has taken philosophers thousands of years to get down to the debate whether animals have rights of existence and protection, and whether they have feelings, and whether humans have a moral duty to treat them kindly. Even today, hunting and fishing for sport is a favorite pastime in many highly civilized countries. And where this sport is regulated by law, as in this country and many others, it is mainly in order not to endanger the species, but without regard for the animals' feelings, whether or not they enjoy being hunted, wounded and maimed — all for the entertainment of humans. Actually, these hunters are even an insult to the animals they hunt, because in the animal kingdom no animal kills for sport, but only when it is hungry, in keeping with its animal nature that the Creator had given it.

But, while the debate still goes on as to what man's attitude to the lower animals should be, the Torah has already laid down the law of the Creator as to the relationship between man and beast.

The Torah tell us that in the beginning, when G-d created all living creatures, the last ones to be created was Adam and Eve, the first humans, the Creator placed the animal kingdom under the dominion of man. Man was given permission to employ animals in useful services, such as helping him plow his field, carry his loads, provide wool for his clothing, and the like. But meat-eating was not yet permitted.

Only after the Flood, when the animal world was given a new lease on life through the diligent care of Noah and his sons during an entire year, did G-d give man the right to kill animals for food or to enhance his life. But at the same time He gave strict rules that even in the case of such need; the animal should be treated with the least amount of pain. The Torah permits the killing of animals for medical experiments which may save or enhance our lives, but it must be done as humanely as possible. Indeed, the Torah, more than 3300 years ago, laid down a whole set of laws against causing unnecessary pain to animals (tza'ar ba'alei chaim). Here are some examples:

* The Torah strictly forbids cutting a piece of meat from a living animal for food — a practice that is still found among ranchers in certain countries, who cut a slice of meat from a steer, bandage the wound, then barbecue for themselves a juicy steak in the field. This law is universal, applying to all mankind, not only to Jews.
    * Animals belonging to Jews must not do any work on Shabbat, like their masters. Thus, animals, too, are given one day's rest every week. This law is included in the Ten Commandments!
    * The Torah requires a Jew to help unload an overburdened pack animal as quickly as possible, even if the animal belongs to a wicked person, and regardless whether the owner is a Jew or not.
    * An ox and a donkey may not be harnessed together to pull a plow. One of the reasons for it is that they are of unequal strength, and one of them is therefore likely to have to work harder than the other.
    * In a previous article we mentioned the prohibition to slaughter a mother and its calf on the same day. According to Maimonides the reason for this commandments is to prevent the slaughtering the calf in the presence of its mother, which would be very cruel. For, as this great physician explains, the attachment of a mother to its young is a matter of natural feelings, and exists even among animals.

In the Talmud the laws of tza'ar ba'alei chaim are treated in detail, and our Sages often emphasize how considerate and kind human beings must be towards animals, in keeping with the ways of G-d, of whom it is written, "His mercies extend to all His creatures" (Psalms 145:9).

Sources:

Rashi, Genesis 1:29.

Maimonides, Guide for the Perplexed 3:43.

Mindel Nissan. Talks & Tales No. 492.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 03:31:16 PM »

Huh?

You misunderstood me. I am not obligated to keep the laws of Moses concerning food.

You have overread the "althrough".

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 03:33:19 PM »

Huh?

You misunderstood me. I am not obligated to keep the laws of Moses concerning food.

You have overread the "althrough".

Oh... Sorry, I made an assumption... Why did you even mention that you only eat kosher animals then... This is what threw me...

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »
Muman, the allowed animals are much tastier.

You have to do a lot in the kitchen to make i.e a pork roast tasty.

But you can put a piece of beef, goat or sheep in the ofen only with a few spieces.

If the temperature is right you have a feast.

Rabbit you have to prepare with speck and a lot of spieces. If you don't it becomes very dry.

Pig you have to roast with fruits or a lot of marinade.

I think that the kosher foods taste in a natural way good without a lot of preparing.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
Pheasant - "I think that the kosher foods taste in a natural way good without a lot of preparing. "

Usually people say the opposite. Even Rabbi Mizrachi says that non-kosher tastes better- BUT becuase the juices including urine are still in the animal while when it is kosher Jews must take out the liquids with salt- so the blood and the urine are taken out of the body of the animal and the food has less of these juices.

The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »
I completely agree with you, Abben.  In Judaism, it's prohibited.

I'm not sure but according to this guy it is (he explains how it is allowed in certain cases)- *I dont know what he is saying  is completly true or not.

The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 04:38:49 PM »
So the Goyim keep bladder ?! This is news to me, in fact I don't believe they do, and certainly not the guts. I don't know about the blood though.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »
I have Jewish friends [not orthodox] and they hunt and enjoy it,they do freeze and eat the meat it can last a long time.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 04:42:38 PM »
So the Goyim keep bladder ?! This is news to me, in fact I don't believe they do, and certainly not the guts. I don't know about the blood though.
What is hagiss thats eaten in Scotland is'nt that have intestines in it?
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 04:43:49 PM »

We gut the animal we do not eat the bladder

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 04:53:25 PM »
Pheasant - "I think that the kosher foods taste in a natural way good without a lot of preparing. "

Usually people say the opposite. Even Rabbi Mizrachi says that non-kosher tastes better- BUT becuase the juices including urine are still in the animal while when it is kosher Jews must take out the liquids with salt- so the blood and the urine are taken out of the body of the animal and the food has less of these juices.

Yes it could be, that the preparation takes some taste from the meat. But on the other hand it will become better salted.

I for my part have never eaten kosher prepared food.

I usually wash the meat before I prepare it and of course I do salt on it.

But the Jewish way is more complex. So it could be that there is taken some taste from it.

But ask our members what they are prefer:

Lamb meat from the leg and steak from the beef or pork roast and rabbit.

I am shure the vast majority of people would vote for the first.  :::D

Perhaps R. Mizrachi used here only an allegory with the sense what would be if.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2009, 04:54:51 PM »

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »
kosher prepacked food is full of salt and unhealthy.
they don't even bother to put the nutrition label on it.

Kosher MEAT tastes better..  e.g. kosher kebabs taste better than non-kosher kebabs.  Maybe because more health concerns are taken care of with the meat.  The rabbinical supervision is expensive though, adds to the price alot.

I  must say, kosher restaurants in north london didn't do very well on their health inspection, that really shocked the jewish community. They said that they were messy because the inspection was done just before or just after pesach.. (pesach requires massive overhaul of stuff)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »
I actually think sliced ham with melted cheese on top and and pork sausage are the tastiest meats. I do like chicken and fish though.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
I actually think sliced ham with melted cheese on top and and pork sausage are the tastiest meats. I do like chicken and fish though.