Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 14398 times)

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
Hunting
« on: January 15, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »
Does anyone here like to hunt? I think its totally wrong to hunt, and the only way I would kill an animal is if me or my family's life was in danger. I would like to hear everyone's views on this thanks.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 12:54:25 PM »
I completely agree with you, Abben.  In Judaism, it's prohibited.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:55:42 PM »
They should allow a muzzie hunting season
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »
Let's hunt Bambi :::D
People in my family hunt
If you do not regulate the amount of an animal in an area they will soon over take the area
Besides people used to hunt animals a long time ago for food

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 01:40:11 PM »
Relatives on my moms side hunt because their not Jewish, my grandpa lives in Wisconsin and hunts deer and makes deer sausage.

My dad's side, I don't know, my grandpa was a farmer and he had guns but i'm not sure if he hunted though he was Jewish.

I know hunting for sport in Judaism is prohibited because it's cruelty to animals, but deer are technically kosher aren't there? I think the problem is that the method of slaughter is not considered kosher though it's certainly not unheard of to hear of Jewish hunters. How did Jews survive back in the day to obtain meat/food? I thought I read passages in the bible before that stated animals were hunted for food at some point for survival.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 01:44:49 PM »
It is totally repulsive to me, I am so disgusted just by the thought of it.

Especially disgusting is 'big game hunting' because it is exceptionally cruel.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 01:46:04 PM »
Tried it one time and it bored me to tears. 

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »
I assume you are a vegetarian... otherwise you are a hypocrite.

Hunters aren't psychos.  Hunters are people who prefer to do things the 'old way'.  If youve ever 'roughed it' before, youll know what im talking about.  You do it, because its a very primal, innate, natural think.

Ive NEVER known a hunter, including myself, who hasn't eaten the kill.  If someone hunts with no intention of eating the animal.. then YES... thats a bit barbaric.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »
Define hunting:

Fishing can be considered a type of hunting.  We are allowed to fish.  Certainly if you go hunting for deer in an overpopulated deer area and killing the deer doesn't cause it to suffer needlessly, you are doing good for the environment.  But then again, I'm not sure if it is Jewishly kosher to do somethign like that.  You're not supposed to cause animals to suffer.    And if you shoot and kill a deer, it's not kosher to eat anyway...

For me, I would have trouble killing an animal especially a bird or mammal.  Rather than hunt to kill, I would rather hunt to capture then let go.. Are hunt and injury temporarily then let go...such as with darts which put the animal to sleep for a few hours until it wakes up.  Or even to fish just to put the fish back in the ocean.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »
Relatives on my moms side hunt because their not Jewish, my grandpa lives in Wisconsin and hunts deer and makes deer sausage.

My dad's side, I don't know, my grandpa was a farmer and he had guns but i'm not sure if he hunted though he was Jewish.

I know hunting for sport in Judaism is prohibited because it's cruelty to animals, but deer are technically kosher aren't there? I think the problem is that the method of slaughter is not considered kosher though it's certainly not unheard of to hear of Jewish hunters. How did Jews survive back in the day to obtain meat/food? I thought I read passages in the bible before that stated animals were hunted for food at some point for survival.

Not with gunpowder..lol!! but probably with traps and then they woudl slaughter the animal properly.  If a bullet kills any animal...even a kosher one, it's deemed unkosher to eat.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »

I think hunting is quite a bit more humane than the way animals are slaughtered and sold to grocery stores, those slaughter houses have horrible conditions.

If the person is eating the meat, what is the problem? I'm sure it's a lot healthier than the food sold in supermarkets with growth hormones and other crap they inject into the chickens.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »
I thought about going    poaching in my country this year. A friend offred me a very great freezer for small money. So I could store the bait. This would safe me lots of money. No joke.

You Jews here are in a special situation because of kashruth.

But I am not. So there is basically for the animal no difference if you shoot it in the head in the slaughterhouse or you shoot it in the safari respectively in the woods.

There are only two important things, first that you do it quickly and without greater suffering for the animal and second that you reallly use the animal for food and other usefull things and process nearly all parts of it.

I think if you do this two things it is morally totally justified.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
I hunt and I enjoy it, but I only hunt what I eat. There's nothing wrong with hunting as long as you eat it and it's regulated.

Think of it this way, if you DO NOT hunt deer, they will die anyway from either starvation, illness or getting hit by a car.

Perfect example - years ago in N.J, the animals rights activists actually banned deer hunting in the state for three years. The population became so big, and the death toll was so grave that the deer carcasses were contaminating the soil near the reservoir and N.J had to import water from other states till the reservoir was treated.

C.T deer population also increased and the insurance companies complained to the state that they are paying for all of these car hitting deer.

Remember, we don't have many predators to control the herbivore population (in comparison with Africa), so hunting is actually vital to the ecosystem here.  

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 01:56:19 PM »

Not with gunpowder..lol!! but probably with traps and then they woudl slaughter the animal properly.  If a bullet kills any animal...even a kosher one, it's deemed unkosher to eat.

I go fishing quite often, I do deep sea fishing and also lake fishing, but to cause an animal to not suffer, what about a headshot? I mean ok, that's a bit unrealistic but a headshot is pretty quick and painless.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
I hunt and I enjoy it, but I only hunt what I eat. There's nothing wrong with hunting as long as you eat it and it's regulated.

Think of it this way, if you DO NOT hunt deer, they will die anyway from either starvation, illness or getting hit by a car.

Perfect example - years ago in N.J, the animals rights activists actually banned deer hunting in the state for three years. The population became so big, and the death toll was so grave that the deer carcasses were contaminating the soil near the reservoir and N.J had to import water from other states till the reservoir was treated.

C.T deer population also increased and the insurance companies complained to the state that they are paying for all of these car hitting deer.

Remember, we don't have many predators to control the herbivore population (in comparison with Africa), so hunting is actually vital to the ecosystem here.  

Very good points Vito.  :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 01:59:07 PM »

Your absolutely correct, in Wisconsin, there are so many deer that it is not safe to drive on the roads a lot of times because they will literally just run in front of a car and the deer and people in the car are killed. I remember a incident where the deer was injured and not dead after being hit and it woke up startled and started kicking the lady in the face out of panic and ended up killing her. This is a much more painful way to die than being shot with a firearm and depending on the shot is usually quick.

In the event that we are in a economic crisis and food is difficult to come by, is hunting prohibited by kosher laws?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 02:02:35 PM »

Your absolutely correct, in Wisconsin, there are so many deer that it is not safe to drive on the roads a lot of times because they will literally just run in front of a car and the deer and people in the car are killed. I remember a incident where the deer was injured and not dead after being hit and it woke up startled and started kicking the lady in the face out of panic and ended up killing her. This is a much more painful way to die than being shot with a firearm and depending on the shot is usually quick.

In the event that we are in a economic crisis and food is difficult to come by, is hunting prohibited by kosher laws?

If you were lost in the wilderness and if you didn't eat you were going to die, then you can shoot a deer, a wild boar or eat mice and bugs if you had to survive.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 02:03:11 PM »

I think hunting is quite a bit more humane than the way animals are slaughtered and sold to grocery stores, those slaughter houses have horrible conditions.

If the person is eating the meat, what is the problem? I'm sure it's a lot healthier than the food sold in supermarkets with growth hormones and other crap they inject into the chickens.

I think if animals are to be slaughtered at all, than it must be as painless and humane as possible. I am a vegan and I wouldn't even wear leather because I don't won't to be responsible for cruelty to animals.

But hunting is a cruel way to kill an animal. Some hunters like to use crossbow which is horrific, but a shot gun kill is most likely prolonged and painful too. And of course there are hunting traps which I assume everyone here objects to because they are basically a torture device.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 02:06:12 PM »

I think if animals are to be slaughtered at all, than it must be as painless and humane as possible. I am a vegan and I wouldn't even wear leather because I don't won't to be responsible for cruelty to animals.

But hunting is a cruel way to kill an animal. Some hunters like to use crossbow which is horrific, but a shot gun kill is most likely prolonged and painful too. And of course there are hunting traps which I assume everyone here objects to because they are basically a torture device.

Zelhar, have you ever seen a deer get shot with a 30-06? Trust me, it's not suffering...

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »

Zelhar, have you ever seen a deer get shot with a 30-06? Trust me, it's not suffering...
Is that a pellet shot ? I concede that if the killing method is humane and there is an excess population of deer, than hunting is morally equivalent to 'normal' slaughter.
And what about the bigger beasts- a bear ? an elephant ? a whale ? 

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 02:22:35 PM »

Everything comes from animals regardless if we think so or not though, if you ever taken headache medicine, they use the lining of pig to make the pill capsules.

What do you wear for shoes? Most shoes are made out of leather or some sort of material, shirts made from cotton, plastics come from oil which are from degrading/dead organisms.

A shotgun is the most effective, my uncle had to put down his dog that was dying of cancer and he was very sad to have to do it but the dog was suffering and used a shotgun to put the dog down. It was quick and painless, the dog did not feel a thing.

Eating meat is just natural human instinct, plus they would eat us if they had the chance.

Have you ever watched Discovery Channel or the show Planet Earth? The way those animals die is probably much much more painful than by any shotgun, I don't think a shark sinking it's teeth into a seal or a lion ripping a zebra to pieces is exactly a pleasant experience.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »

Is that a pellet shot ? I concede that if the killing method is humane and there is an excess population of deer, than hunting is morally equivalent to 'normal' slaughter.

Who shoots bullets at a whale?
They have special guns for elephants and certin ammo made for hunting Bears

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 02:41:46 PM »

Everything comes from animals regardless if we think so or not though, if you ever taken headache medicine, they use the lining of pig to make the pill capsules.

What do you wear for shoes? Most shoes are made out of leather or some sort of material, shirts made from cotton, plastics come from oil which are from degrading/dead organisms.

A shotgun is the most effective, my uncle had to put down his dog that was dying of cancer and he was very sad to have to do it but the dog was suffering and used a shotgun to put the dog down. It was quick and painless, the dog did not feel a thing.

Eating meat is just natural human instinct, plus they would eat us if they had the chance.

Have you ever watched Discovery Channel or the show Planet Earth? The way those animals die is probably much much more painful than by any shotgun, I don't think a shark sinking it's teeth into a seal or a lion ripping a zebra to pieces is exactly a pleasant experience.
If its a matter of life or death there is no question about it. I would take the medicine even though it must be tested on animals and possibly contain animal extracts. Oil doesn't count as animal, besides it is mostly comprised of ancient plant, and very primitive lifeforms.

Now animals would eat us or that the cause suffer to other animals but we should know better, that's why we are humans and they are beasts.

Of course I am in favor of mercy killing a sick or severely wounded animal.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »

Who shoots bullets at a whale?
They have special guns for elephants and certin ammo made for hunting Bears

Whales are harpooned, which is EXTREMELY cruel way to kill. And what about crossbow hunting, do you at least concede that it should be banned ?

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 02:46:13 PM »

[/quote]

A pellet? You shoot pellets out of a bb gun. A 30-06 is about the size of your middle finger.

How would you rather be slaughtered? Getting cut at the throat for 30 seconds or with a bullet in one second?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:52:41 PM by Vito »