Author Topic: Obama considers reaching out to Taliban  (Read 2877 times)

Offline A True Conservative

• Junior JTFer
  • No Arabs No Terror
Obama considers reaching out to Taliban
« on: March 08, 2009, 04:49:42 AM »
Obama considers reaching out to Taliban

3 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US President Barack Obama said, in an interview published Sunday, that the United States is not winning the war in Afghanistan and hinted at possible talks with moderate elements of the Taliban.

Highlighting the success of the US strategy of bringing some Sunni Iraqi insurgents to the negotiating table and away from Al-Qaeda, Obama told The New York Times that "there may be some comparable opportunities in Afghanistan and the Pakistani region."

The strategy in Iraq had been developed by General David Petraeus, then commander of US forces in the country.

"If you talk to General Petraeus, I think he would argue that part of the success in Iraq involved reaching out to people that we would consider to be Islamic fundamentalists, but who were willing to work with us because they had been completely alienated by the tactics of Al-Qaeda in Iraq," Obama said in the interview published in the online edition of the Times.

But Obama warned that Afghanistan was not Iraq, and that reconciliation efforts could face difficulties.

"The situation in Afghanistan is, if anything, more complex. You have a less governed region, a history of fierce independence among tribes. Those tribes are multiple and sometimes operate at cross purposes, so figuring all that out is going to be a much more of a challenge," he said.

During his presidential campaign last year, Obama told Time magazine that opportunities to negotiate with some Taliban elements "should be explored."

Asked by the Times if the United States was winning the war in Afghanistan, which he has called the "central front in the war on terror," Obama simply replied: "No."

"You've seen conditions deteriorate over the last couple of years. The Taliban is bolder than it was. I think in the southern regions of the country, you're seeing them attack in ways that we have not seen previously," he said.

"The national government still has not gained the confidence of the Afghan people."

US-led forces ousted the Taliban regime in Afghanistan shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States, but Islamist militants regrouped in recent years and are waging an intensifying and spreading Taliban-led insurgency.

Shortly after taking office in January, Obama launched a review of US policy toward Afghanistan and Pakistan that is set to be delivered before he heads to Europe on March 31 for a round of international meetings.

In his first major decision as commander-in-chief, he ordered the deployment of 17,000 additional troops to Afghanistan, saying they were needed to stabilize a deteriorating security situation.

Part of the troops' role will be to help boost security during Afghan presidential elections now set to take place in August.

"We've got to recast our policy so that our military, diplomatic and development goals are all aligned to ensure that Al-Qaeda and extremists that would do us harm don't have the kinds of safe havens that allow them to operate," Obama said.

Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is widely believed to be hiding in the mountainous border region between Pakistan and Afghanistan, a known haven for Taliban extremists.

"At the heart of a new Afghanistan policy is going to be a smarter Pakistan policy. As long as you've got safe havens in these border regions that the Pakistani government can't control or reach, in effective ways, we're going to continue to see vulnerability on the Afghan side of the border," Obama said.

More than two dozen suspected US drone attacks have been carried out in Pakistan since August 2008, killing more than 200 people, most of them militants.

Pakistan is a key ally in the US-led "war against terror" but the missile strikes have fueled anti-American sentiment in the country, particularly in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan.

US Vice President Joe Biden, who visited Southwest Asia recently, heads to Brussels on Monday for consultations with top NATO allies on a new US strategy in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Re: Obama considers reaching out to Taliban
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 05:11:33 AM »
O.K., my first problem with this is, why does he release all these lovely little tidbits during hours of low news cycles.  Of course, he does it because less people are apt to see it and be informed and by the time the next major news cycle rolls around, something bigger will occur and this will not get much play.
This really ticks me off.

Now, my next problem is, since when has there been moderate members of the Taliban.  Have I missed the memo, because I was under the distinct impression there is no moderate in Radical Islam, hence the word Radical.

Heck, the words moderate and Islam can not be in the same sentence together.

I can only ascertain that Obama is really out to destroy the U.S., no matter the cost.
There is a reason why no civilized country has ever met with the Taliban.  The reason being, the Taliban are not civilized.

I really hope, just as Rush had said, that Obama fails; and fails sooner than later, so that  we can get someone in office who actually understands what is going on in our world.

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 07:03:32 AM »
"O.K., my first problem with this is, why does he release all these lovely little tidbits during hours of low news cycles. " ag337

That's an interesting observation.  I must surmise that this means that Obama realizes that this is a political hot-button (and it is).  Therefore, we must further surmise that Obama is prepared to invest political capital in this strategy, because he genuinely believes that we can negotiate with people who are actively trying to kill us.

Do you realize how risky this strategy is?  A single dramatic terrorist attack, and you'll have the talk radio guys speaking about manslaughter charges.  In fact, if this keeps up, we're going to have to apologize to the Nazis hanged after the Nuremburg trials.

Personally, but without too many details, and I don't want this post to drone on, I think that the United States is being chastened by God right now, and ol' Barry is an element in that punishment.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:08:07 AM »
It is a case of polished maneuvers before abject surrender.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:21:49 AM »
What a great commander in chief.  When they ask you if you're winning the war, you don't just say, "no."  How does that help troop morale?  This "president" has no common sense or even a remote understanding of how to run any part of the military. 

Rush is right when he talked about the media having conference calls with Obama's staff every morning.  How do you explain the Newsweek front page about "working with radical Islam" right before this comes out?  The media has mostly become another wing of the Obama Administration and release the same talking points. They said in the article, that most of the Taliban is made up of paid off tribes and kids.  Obama thinks he can make this go away with another payoff from our tax dollars.  The Taliban will take the $ and then stab America in the back right after.  I've said it time and again, the Obamunists may have all the education in the world but they know nothing.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:50:40 PM »
,I am bumping this thread, because this is something that needs attention.

This is very important and because it was posted after midnight on Saturday conveniently enough when there was a time change, it has not received the attention it deserves.

Obama's tactic of releasing this information at that particular time is a calculated move to deceive us of what his true motives are and where his loyalty lies.

I hope that more people see this for what it is and make others aware of what is going on under their noses.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:34:51 AM »
How touching... Enough to cause me to barf my dinner. I wonder if Obama would like to have dinner with the Taliban. What goes on in the skull of that man? Logic and reason are not Obamas strong cards. Maybe Obama thinks making concessions to ruthless murdering lunatics is a rational thing to do. I think he has his head on backwards.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:43:28 AM »
How touching... Enough to cause me to barf my dinner. I wonder if Obama would like to have dinner with the Taliban. What goes on in the skull of that man? Logic and reason are not Obamas strong cards. Maybe Obama thinks making concessions to ruthless murdering lunatics is a rational thing to do. I think he has his head on backwards.

He is making this country extremely vulnerable... in every way.  Now he wants to embolden the terrorists by treating them with the same respect that Neville Chamberlin treated Hitler with.  Is this stupidity... or sabotage??? who knows?

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 08:50:56 AM »

"Moderate Taliban"!????? That's like "Moderate Nazi"!
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »
I'd like to reach out to him.
 >:(
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 02:32:38 PM »
This is the individual who made winning the war in Afghanistan a campaign promise.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »
There's a word for this, isn't there?  It's on the tip of my tongue...Oh yes!  Now I remember!  TREASON!!!

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 02:35:42 PM »
The new religion in America is worshipping Muslims.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 03:07:16 PM »
This is the individual who made winning the war in Afghanistan a campaign promise.

Broken promises... shattered dreams... nothing remains but change... in the pocket.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 12:00:05 AM »
I was thinking about this earlier today and the more I thought about it the more upset I got. I was upset about some of the things Obama was doing before but for him to say that there are moderates in the Taliban is absolute insanity.

Can you imagine what the reaction would have been if he had said this right after 9/11?

This country has gone insane to elect someone like Obama. No wonder the world thinks Americans are stupid as doorknobs (well at least doorknobs have a useful purpose).

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 12:11:01 AM »
Ruby,

You have stated what I have been saying and thinking since I first set my eyes on Obama.

He is destroying the U.S.A. with his agenda.

Obama needs to be stopped, I don't know how, but it has to be done before we are all done.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 12:47:29 AM »
I hope he's stopped by Congress, by being legally impeached for failing to defend the Constitution of the United States. That's unlikely to happen with a Democratic Congress. The earliest we can hope for is in two years when there is another election and the balance in Congress could shift.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 12:52:34 AM »
O.K., my first problem with this is, why does he release all these lovely little tidbits during hours of low news cycles.  Of course, he does it because less people are apt to see it and be informed and by the time the next major news cycle rolls around, something bigger will occur and this will not get much play.
This really ticks me off.

Now, my next problem is, since when has there been moderate members of the Taliban.  Have I missed the memo, because I was under the distinct impression there is no moderate in Radical Islam, hence the word Radical.

Heck, the words moderate and Islam can not be in the same sentence together.

I can only ascertain that Obama is really out to destroy the U.S., no matter the cost.
There is a reason why no civilized country has ever met with the Taliban.  The reason being, the Taliban are not civilized.

I really hope, just as Rush had said, that Obama fails; and fails sooner than later, so that  we can get someone in office who actually understands what is going on in our world.

Excellent post Ag337 ! I agree with you and I have never heard of anything moderate in Islam. Obama is getting worse day by day and yes, he is obviously putting his foot out every minute to test the ( political waters ) to see how far he can go. I pray every day that he gets impeached!

Shalom - Dox     :  )

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 12:59:09 AM »
I was thinking about this earlier today and the more I thought about it the more upset I got. I was upset about some of the things Obama was doing before but for him to say that there are moderates in the Taliban is absolute insanity.

Can you imagine what the reaction would have been if he had said this right after 9/11?

This country has gone insane to elect someone like Obama. No wonder the world thinks Americans are stupid as doorknobs (well at least doorknobs have a useful purpose).

Ironically,   today is the 7 1/2 anniversary of the horrific 9-11 tragedies.      If someone would have told me in the days following 9-11-01 that in 2008 the U.S. would elect a Muslim, with ultra radical associations ,    as President,    I never would have believed it.    Even today,   it still feels like a nightmare,   not reality.      Even with the vast majority of the media being an extension of the Barack Hussein Obama campaign,    its still difficult to comprehend that Obama " won "  the 2008 Presidential Election.   
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 01:12:44 AM »

Ironically,   today is the 7 1/2 anniversary of the horrific 9-11 tragedies.      If someone would have told me in the days following 9-11-01 that in 2008 the U.S. would elect a Muslim, with ultra radical associations ,    as President,    I never would have believed it.    Even today,   it still feels like a nightmare,   not reality.      Even with the vast majority of the media being an extension of the Barack Hussein Obama campaign,    its still difficult to comprehend that Obama " won "  the 2008 Presidential Election.   

I know how you feel, it is horrifying and depressing. Never in our History has any candidate with such horrible ties became president.
Something is wrong in denmark!

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 02:46:50 AM »

You're right.  Americans would have gone crazy if someone wanted to talk to the people who aided and helped Bin Laden plan his attack.  Just the fact we have elected someone with a Muslim name is insane enough as it is.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 06:10:57 AM »
On right hand Obama considers reaching out to Taliban and on left hand it is being considered for reaching out to military coup and forceful dictatorial takeover.

Situation at Papistan666 is really interesting and volatile, converging towards ww3.

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 09:23:33 AM »
On right hand Obama considers reaching out to Taliban and on left hand it is being considered for reaching out to military coup and forceful dictatorial takeover.

Situation at Papistan666 is really interesting and volatile, converging towards ww3.

I could not agree more with everything everyone has said here. It is getting scarier EVERY day to live in this country! We have nuts in the white house!  >:(
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 10:18:19 AM »
I will be surprised to understand that if it would not have happened 7-1/2 years earlier, then this also would not have happened.

Was there a deep, subtle, widespread and repressed feeling of "Stockholm Syndrome", without the knowledge of anyone else.   

When Taliban hijacked big Indian Airliner and when they destroyed huge twin Buddha statues, then it was theologically obvious that they were going to combine the two in their next operation.

Earlier I was very much amazed to see that the American leader of the last war looks entirely different than expected. So much so that I started thinking him to be Powell. Now I am no more amazed.     

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 10:35:49 AM »

"Moderate Taliban"!????? That's like "Moderate Nazi"!

Ditto.