Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Ticks
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:56:41 AM »
Just wondering what you do when those little eight-legged leeches strike. I had two of the nasty buggers get me last week while at the park (one on each shoulder). I got rid of them as soon as I felt them, but it was too late and I have two very lovely itchy welts now. I just yanked them out with my fingertips, which worked that time, but when their sucking head really gets in there, it can be impossible to get out (the head can stay inside even if the rest of the tick is removed).

Anyway just wanted your thoughts on this creepy-crawly topic. Chaimfan

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
Re: Ticks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:22:11 AM »

When I used to live in an area with those ticks, I would get tweezers and yank them out.

I hate those things....they must have shown up after the Garden of Eden incident...part of the curse.

Can't you get lime disease from them though? :o

I would go check with a doctor and get their advice about it, too.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:28:00 AM »
Yes, some of them do carry Lyme, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:31:14 AM »
Urgh...go see a doctor if ya can...
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:31:27 AM »
Never had ticks, but I can tell you about fleas...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:37:01 AM »

The Tick

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:37:55 AM »
Never had ticks, but I can tell you about fleas...

Oh, I hate them too... >:(
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 06:12:02 AM »
I was ill with spotted fever when I was aged 10, due to a tick bite. It was nasty, I was sick for over two weeks.  I absolutely hate ticks, and I keep them away from me.

Offline Cato

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 06:12:59 AM »
Hepatitis

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 09:07:42 AM »
http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=~I9UUAYccqJ5RqZ&selectedTitle=1~58&source=search_result

It is important to note the appearance of the tick and the type of rash it causes(if it does cause one), if it has embedded itself. 

Untreated Lyme's disease can cause heart rhythm problems(like a complete heart block) and arthritis type symptoms.   I only know that because I live near an area that has a large number of deer and deer ticks.  I have taken care of many patient's in the hospital with untreated Lyme's.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 10:52:21 AM »
Other.

I was taught that you never pull it off since the head can detach and stay embedded.  My preferred method is to burn them off.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 10:57:39 AM »

The Tick
I was waiting for someone to do this.  :laugh: :::D

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:14:53 AM »
Other.

I was taught that you never pull it off since the head can detach and stay embedded.  My preferred method is to burn them off.
How do you do that without scorching yourself, Do you use a hot needle ?

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 11:35:06 AM »
Other.

How do you do that without scorching yourself, Do you use a hot needle ?

No, an open flame.  You might scorch yourself but you just grin and take it like a man.

Actually, all kidding aside, I was taught to use a hot match when I was in the Boy Scouts.  But that was a very long time ago.  I would probably opt for the tweezers if it happened to me today.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »
You need to see a dr. asap as god forbid if you did get lyme disease it can cause things like this if left untreated can lead to serious problems, including severe mental illness and psychosis.
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 01:24:56 PM »
You need to see a dr. asap as G-d forbid if you did get lyme disease it can cause things like this if left untreated can lead to serious problems, including severe mental illness and psychosis.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 01:50:31 PM »
You need to see a dr. asap as G-d forbid if you did get lyme disease it can cause things like this if left untreated can lead to serious problems, including severe mental illness and psychosis.

Not really. Heart disease and arthritis are much more likely.

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 01:55:59 PM »
Stage 3 – Late persistent infection

Chronic neurologic symptoms occur in up to 5% of untreated patients.[17] A polyneuropathy manifested primarily as shooting pains, numbness, and tingling in the hands or feet may develop. A neurologic syndrome called Lyme encephalopathy is associated with subtle cognitive problems such as difficulties with concentration and short term memory. Such patients may also experience profound fatigue.[22] Other problems such as depression and fibromyalgia are no more common in people who have been infected with Lyme than in the general population.[23][22] Chronic encephalomyelitis, which may be progressive, may involve cognitive impairment, weakness in the legs, awkward gait, facial palsy, bladder problems, vertigo, and back pain. In rare cases, frank psychosis has been attributed to chronic Lyme disease effects, including mis-diagnoses of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Panic attack and anxiety can occur, also delusional behavior, including somatoform delusions, sometimes accompanied by a depersonalization or derealization syndrome similar to what was seen in the past in the prodromal or early stages of general paresis.[24][25]

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

You are right tho. It says this only happens in a small % of cases, but it is not unheard of. In fact this recent case in the news about the guy who went into a church and shot the pastor dead...they are saying he was suffering from this.  Who knows if that's actually true, or just his lawyer trying to get him off...but it can happen.

Either way, best to get checked out. I'm sure they can rule Lyme and other things out with some simple blood work.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:12:39 PM by Ze'ev »
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 02:17:14 PM »
Stage 3 – Late persistent infection

Chronic neurologic symptoms occur in up to 5% of untreated patients.[17] A polyneuropathy manifested primarily as shooting pains, numbness, and tingling in the hands or feet may develop. A neurologic syndrome called Lyme encephalopathy is associated with subtle cognitive problems such as difficulties with concentration and short term memory. Such patients may also experience profound fatigue.[22] Other problems such as depression and fibromyalgia are no more common in people who have been infected with Lyme than in the general population.[23][22] Chronic encephalomyelitis, which may be progressive, may involve cognitive impairment, weakness in the legs, awkward gait, facial palsy, bladder problems, vertigo, and back pain. In rare cases, frank psychosis has been attributed to chronic Lyme disease effects, including mis-diagnoses of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Panic attack and anxiety can occur, also delusional behavior, including somatoform delusions, sometimes accompanied by a depersonalization or derealization syndrome similar to what was seen in the past in the prodromal or early stages of general paresis.[24][25]

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

You are right tho. It says this only happens in a small % of cases, but it is not unheard of. In fact this recent case in the news about the guy who went into a church and shot the pastor dead...they are saying he was suffering from this.  Who knows if that's actually true, or just his lawyer trying to get him off...but it can happen.

Either way, best to get checked out. I'm sure they can rule Lyme and other things out with some simple blood work.
Very interesting.

I have never come across someone diagnosed with neurologic/mental issues as a result of contracting Lymes's disease.  My area of expertise is Intensive Care.  That may be why. 
I can see the effects of the disease causing people to have mental distress and depression though.

When in doubt about the type of tick or rash that develops, best to contact a doctor.  If you can save the tick, that helps with diagnosis.  I don't think they can test for Lymes or other tick borne illnesses right off though.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »
Every "expert" spoken to regarding this supposed Lyme-sufferer says that Lyme cannot cause somebody to be psychotically violent--that these people were mentally ill before contracting Lyme.

My guess is that this murdering pig (yimach schmo vezichro) is a left-wing, religion-hating Nazi--possibly a homosexual activist.

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 03:13:10 PM »
Every "expert" spoken to regarding this supposed Lyme-sufferer says that Lyme cannot cause somebody to be psychotically violent--that these people were mentally ill before contracting Lyme.

My guess is that this murdering pig (yimach schmo vezichro) is a left-wing, religion-hating Nazi--possibly a homosexual activist.

The Nazi WN's are already claiming he is Jewish... >:(

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 03:32:44 PM »

Hi AH,

I dont watch simpsons but in that picture there is a character I recognize from an ancient cartoon called "The Flintstones". In that cartoon there is a character named "The Great Gazoo" who appears in that Simpson picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gazoo

Wow, I just discovered that 'The Great Gazoo' is parodied in the Simpsons and is called Ozmodiar .

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »
The Great Gazoo is ancient  :o ...I thought he was timeless.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »
I LOVE the Simpsons, especially Homer. Matt Groening has gotten me through many difficult (and happy) times in my life. Favorite. Show. Ever.  ;D

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 04:47:43 PM »
Other.

Having 3 kids and pets I have had dealt with ticks on our pets or they got on the kids. We always heated a pin and burned the tick first, then removed it with tweezers. That has always worked. Ticks are ugly things.

Shalom - Dox