Author Topic: I am drunk now...Who else is???  (Read 2699 times)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
I am drunk now...Who else is???
« on: March 11, 2009, 12:25:23 AM »
I am drunk.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: I am drunk now...Who else is???
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:28:44 AM »
I'm not unless you count drinking store brand diet sprite.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 12:32:06 AM »
If I get drunk my head would start spinning and then I would vomit and pass out. I am not drinking but I have a coffee buzz.

I am glad you are having some fun on Purim    : )

Shalom - Dox

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:34 AM »
Actually, I should be....

I think I had a woman hitting on me in the thrift store today... :o

I figured it all out when I finally was at home....

Now I need a drink.... :laugh:
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:36:15 AM »
I had three vodka Cokes at Chabad this evening. I am not drunk but it did give me a pleasant buzz during the Schmoozing and greeting which I did. I haven't seen some of my friends at Chabad since last Sukkot.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:42:49 AM »

:::D  Hanna !!! You poor thing! That kind of stuff freaks me out because it happened to me once! 

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 12:53:57 AM »

:::D  Hanna !!! You poor thing! That kind of stuff freaks me out because it happened to me once! 

Oh, I've got more stories.

I had a crush on a guy once for a year and a half (I had been taking care of his dying sister) well, so finally he had asked me out....when we were out he informed me that he was gay.

:::D

I cried about that.....
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 01:04:08 AM »

I had a crush on a guy once for a year and a half (I had been taking care of his dying sister) well, so finally he had asked me out....when we were out he informed me that he was gay.

I cried about that.....

Hanna, gay men like women for some reason, they want to hang out with them and I think that is so misleading on their part. He should have told you up front he was gay and then you could have made a decision after that if you wanted to be his friend or not.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 01:33:25 AM »

You are right...he waited after me knowing him for a year and a half, then asking me out, then TAKING me out, to tell me...

I cried about that.....

Hanna, gay men like women for some reason, they want to hang out with them and I think that is so misleading on their part. He should have told you up front he was gay and then you could have made a decision after that if you wanted to be his friend or not.

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 01:42:53 AM »
No more than usual.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:46:09 AM »

I cried about that.....

Welcome to Oregon.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 01:47:18 AM »

yeah.....

I cried about that.....

Welcome to Oregon.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 01:53:56 AM »
I don't want to offend but I must say that this is the Jewish custom I understand the least...  :o

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 02:40:38 AM »
I did not mean to hijack this thread....oops... :o
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 02:47:26 AM »
I wasn't talking directly to you, I was referring to the practice of getting drunk for Purim. I know that the rabbis themselves endorse it--I just don't get it.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 02:52:54 AM »
I wasn't talking directly to you, I was referring to the practice of getting drunk for Purim. I know that the rabbis themselves endorse it--I just don't get it.

I know that, it is why I said the last thing that I said there.... :P
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 03:11:14 AM »
I would be better off drunk right now but all I have is a 50ml vodka raspberry sitting on my desk..  ::)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 03:39:59 PM »
I don't want to offend but I must say that this is the Jewish custom I understand the least...  :o

The Rabbis do endorse it if it is not bad for your health. You are supposed to drink so you don't know the difference between blessed it Moridchai and Cursed is Hamen
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 04:21:26 PM »
I can sing a song about being drunk  :laugh:

It's better not to be drunk and online. You can better talk dreck than write it everywhere in the internet ;)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 04:22:17 PM »
Why's alchohol allowed but narcotics are not?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 08:20:11 PM »
You are supposed to drink so you don't know the difference between blessed it Moridchai and Cursed is Hamen
What is the purpose of this though?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 08:55:48 PM »
You are supposed to drink so you don't know the difference between blessed it Moridchai and Cursed is Hamen

You will not understand it unless you understand the hiddenness of Hashem. This is why we dress up and drink... The redemption will come one way or another. In the Megillat Esther everything was turned upside down... Haman thought he was on top of the world, able to wipe out the Jewish nation because of his own arogance, but he was not aware that the Jewish people were close to Hashem and he allowed them to do teshuva... As a result a simple reading of the Megillah will seem to be all coincidence and facts which in the end spell out our redemption. When one drinks enough to not know the difference between Mordechi and Haman then we are able to see that everything in the world is from Hashem.... This is my explanation but I will also paste from other sources...

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/purim/article_cdo/aid/264085/jewish/The-Inebriated-State.htm

The Inebriated State
By Lazer Gurkow

My earliest memories of Purim are joyous, lively ones. Adults clowning in the streets, children scurrying to and fro, festive gatherings in every house and apartment, sounds of merry-making filtering through the neighborhood.

Masquerades and charades, party and song, dance and drink were the order of the day. Yes, drink -- especially drink. Drinks of all kinds and sizes. We children didn't partake, of course, but adults sure did enjoy. This day was an anomaly for a religion and society in which drink, and certainly drunkenness, was usually anathema.

One must indeed wonder why Jews celebrate this holiday with such jollity. Jewish law stipulates that all holidays be joyful, but Purim goes beyond the norm. On Purim a Jew is religiously required to "drink until one cannot distinguish between the words 'cursed is Haman' and 'blessed is Mordechai.'"1

Why do we drink on Purim? Why would we want to achieve the state of not distinguishing between the "cursed is Haman" and "blessed is Mordechai"? As with all Jewish questions, the answer is found on four levels -- the technical, the symbolic, the homiletic and the mystical.

The Technical Answer: Commemorating the Wine

Jewish holidays commemorate our history's miracles. On Passover we eat matzah to commemorate our ancestors' hasty Exodus from Egypt, which left them had little time to bake bread. On Chanukah we light candles to commemorate the miracle of the small jar of oil that burned for eight days. Similarly on Purim we drink wine to commemorate the salvation of our people, which unfolded over a series of the royal feasts and parties in which, as the Book of Esther relates, wine was a major ingredient and mover of events:

The fall of Queen Vashti which precipitated the rise of Queen Esther occurred at the royal feast at Shushan, with the king in a state of intoxication. Esther was welcomed into the royal family with a series of drinking celebrations. Finally, Esther engineered Haman's downfall in a duo of intimate dinner parties where, once again, wine flowed freely.2

The Symbolic View: Bridging the 'Between'

From the time of Haman's cursed libel until Mordechai succeeded in orchestrating the Jewish people's blessed salvation, our ancestors must have been in a state of intense anxiety. In retrospect they knew that there had been no cause to worry for G-d had miraculously saved them. If only they could have known earlier what they knew later, they could have avoided tremendous anguish.

One important aspect of the Purim celebration is to reflect upon G-d's salvation. In times of trouble a Jew must turn to G-d. Anguish and worry do not solve problems but placing our trust in G-d, while doing what we can to help ourselves, does.

Here then is the symbolic meaning of being incapable of distinguishing "between 'cursed is Haman' and 'blessed is Mordechai.'" We must learn to put our trust in G-d and thus avoid the anxiety that dominates the "in-between" state, the interim state between the problem point of "cursed is Haman" and the solution state of "blessed is Mordechai." 3

The Homiletic Perspective: Transcending Dividers Good and Bad

Celebration and joy must lead to unity. Discord develops between friends when one causes harm to the other, or when one becomes jealous of the other's good fortune. These two states are represented by the terms "cursed is Haman" and "blessed is Mordechai."

On Purim one must reach out and forgive long-standing grievances and jealousies. We rejoice with friends and share a glass of wine in the hopes of transcending both the courses and the blessing that divide us, dismissing old grudges and rekindling old friendships.

The Mystical Explanation: Beyond Reason

The Purim miracle defies comprehension. Our ancestors had largely assimilated into the Persian society. They were invited to Persian parties, admitted into Persian circles and perceived themselves as full citizens of official and social Persia.

When the royal edict was issued requiring all Persians to bow before the powerful minister Haman, most Jews were prepared to obey. Mordechai and perhaps a handful of others refused. Enraged, Haman complained to the King who, in turn, issued an edict against the Jewish nation.

Standing with Mordechai endangered not only their hard-earned position in the empire, but also their very lives. Yet not a single Jew betrayed Mordechai and what the Jewish leader represented. When the time came to choose between their eternal commitment to G-d and their new-found and tenuous friendships, every Jew chose G-d.

The Jew didn't choose G-d out of love or reverence. This was an irreverent Jew. The Jew didn't choose G-d out of scholarship and piety. This was an assimilated Jew. Why did the Jew choose G-d? Because the Jewish connection to G-d is infinite and eternal. It transcends reason and understanding. It has weathered powerful storms and trying challenges, and is inexplicably still alive. Our bond with G-d is compelling because the Jew and G-d are linked at the essence. When the faced with a challenge the Jew embraces G-d, regardless of prevailing spiritual conditions.

This transcendent bond is the mystical dimension of drinking wine on Purim. The essence of this holiday is not emotive or intellectual. It is best captured by the soul, not the brain or heart. When wine has dulled the brain, when coherent thought has ceased to function, and the Jew, despite his intoxicated state, remains committed to his religion, he has captured the spirit of Purim.4

In summation, Jews drink wine on Purim to recall the parties of old; to build camaraderie and overcome grudges and jealousies; to emphasize the miraculous salvation which drives away the worries of contemporary challenges; and to experience that uplifting merriment that highlights the essential bond between G-d and the Jewish people.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »
I will be glad to be designated poster...
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 09:08:37 PM »

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 11:43:23 PM »

You will not understand it unless you understand the hiddenness of Hashem. This is why we dress up and drink... The redemption will come one way or another. In the Megillat Esther everything was turned upside down... Haman thought he was on top of the world, able to wipe out the Jewish nation because of his own arogance, but he was not aware that the Jewish people were close to Hashem and he allowed them to do teshuva... As a result a simple reading of the Megillah will seem to be all coincidence and facts which in the end spell out our redemption. When one drinks enough to not know the difference between Mordechi and Haman then we are able to see that everything in the world is from Hashem.... This is my explanation but I will also paste from other sources...

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/purim/article_cdo/aid/264085/jewish/The-Inebriated-State.htm

The Inebriated State
By Lazer Gurkow

My earliest memories of Purim are joyous, lively ones. Adults clowning in the streets, children scurrying to and fro, festive gatherings in every house and apartment, sounds of merry-making filtering through the neighborhood.

Masquerades and charades, party and song, dance and drink were the order of the day. Yes, drink -- especially drink. Drinks of all kinds and sizes. We children didn't partake, of course, but adults sure did enjoy. This day was an anomaly for a religion and society in which drink, and certainly drunkenness, was usually anathema.

One must indeed wonder why Jews celebrate this holiday with such jollity. Jewish law stipulates that all holidays be joyful, but Purim goes beyond the norm. On Purim a Jew is religiously required to "drink until one cannot distinguish between the words 'cursed is Haman' and 'blessed is Mordechai.'"1

Why do we drink on Purim? Why would we want to achieve the state of not distinguishing between the "cursed is Haman" and "blessed is Mordechai"? As with all Jewish questions, the answer is found on four levels -- the technical, the symbolic, the homiletic and the mystical.

The Technical Answer: Commemorating the Wine

Jewish holidays commemorate our history's miracles. On Passover we eat matzah to commemorate our ancestors' hasty Exodus from Egypt, which left them had little time to bake bread. On Chanukah we light candles to commemorate the miracle of the small jar of oil that burned for eight days. Similarly on Purim we drink wine to commemorate the salvation of our people, which unfolded over a series of the royal feasts and parties in which, as the Book of Esther relates, wine was a major ingredient and mover of events:

The fall of Queen Vashti which precipitated the rise of Queen Esther occurred at the royal feast at Shushan, with the king in a state of intoxication. Esther was welcomed into the royal family with a series of drinking celebrations. Finally, Esther engineered Haman's downfall in a duo of intimate dinner parties where, once again, wine flowed freely.2

The Symbolic View: Bridging the 'Between'

From the time of Haman's cursed libel until Mordechai succeeded in orchestrating the Jewish people's blessed salvation, our ancestors must have been in a state of intense anxiety. In retrospect they knew that there had been no cause to worry for G-d had miraculously saved them. If only they could have known earlier what they knew later, they could have avoided tremendous anguish.

One important aspect of the Purim celebration is to reflect upon G-d's salvation. In times of trouble a Jew must turn to G-d. Anguish and worry do not solve problems but placing our trust in G-d, while doing what we can to help ourselves, does.

Here then is the symbolic meaning of being incapable of distinguishing "between 'cursed is Haman' and 'blessed is Mordechai.'" We must learn to put our trust in G-d and thus avoid the anxiety that dominates the "in-between" state, the interim state between the problem point of "cursed is Haman" and the solution state of "blessed is Mordechai." 3

The Homiletic Perspective: Transcending Dividers Good and Bad

Celebration and joy must lead to unity. Discord develops between friends when one causes harm to the other, or when one becomes jealous of the other's good fortune. These two states are represented by the terms "cursed is Haman" and "blessed is Mordechai."

On Purim one must reach out and forgive long-standing grievances and jealousies. We rejoice with friends and share a glass of wine in the hopes of transcending both the courses and the blessing that divide us, dismissing old grudges and rekindling old friendships.

The Mystical Explanation: Beyond Reason

The Purim miracle defies comprehension. Our ancestors had largely assimilated into the Persian society. They were invited to Persian parties, admitted into Persian circles and perceived themselves as full citizens of official and social Persia.

When the royal edict was issued requiring all Persians to bow before the powerful minister Haman, most Jews were prepared to obey. Mordechai and perhaps a handful of others refused. Enraged, Haman complained to the King who, in turn, issued an edict against the Jewish nation.

Standing with Mordechai endangered not only their hard-earned position in the empire, but also their very lives. Yet not a single Jew betrayed Mordechai and what the Jewish leader represented. When the time came to choose between their eternal commitment to G-d and their new-found and tenuous friendships, every Jew chose G-d.

The Jew didn't choose G-d out of love or reverence. This was an irreverent Jew. The Jew didn't choose G-d out of scholarship and piety. This was an assimilated Jew. Why did the Jew choose G-d? Because the Jewish connection to G-d is infinite and eternal. It transcends reason and understanding. It has weathered powerful storms and trying challenges, and is inexplicably still alive. Our bond with G-d is compelling because the Jew and G-d are linked at the essence. When the faced with a challenge the Jew embraces G-d, regardless of prevailing spiritual conditions.

This transcendent bond is the mystical dimension of drinking wine on Purim. The essence of this holiday is not emotive or intellectual. It is best captured by the soul, not the brain or heart. When wine has dulled the brain, when coherent thought has ceased to function, and the Jew, despite his intoxicated state, remains committed to his religion, he has captured the spirit of Purim.4

In summation, Jews drink wine on Purim to recall the parties of old; to build camaraderie and overcome grudges and jealousies; to emphasize the miraculous salvation which drives away the worries of contemporary challenges; and to experience that uplifting merriment that highlights the essential bond between G-d and the Jewish people.

Wow, that sounds like fun...
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל