Author Topic: FBI arrest four in plot to bomb Bronx synagogues, shoot down plane  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
The FBI and NYPD busted a four-man homegrown terror cell Wednesday night that was plotting to blow up two Bronx synagogues while simultaneously shooting a plane out of the sky, sources told the Daily News.

The idea was to create a "fireball that would make the country gasp," one law enforcement said.

Little did they know the plastic explosives packed into their car bombs and the plane-downing Stinger missile in their backseat were all phony - supplied by undercover agents posing as Pakistani militants linked to Al Qaeda.

"If there can be any good news from this terror scare it's that this group was relatively unsophisticated, penetrated early, and not connected to another terrorist group," said Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.). "This incident shows that we must always be vigilant against terrorism, foreign or domestic."

The suspects - three U.S.-born citizens and one Haitian immigrant - at least three of whom were said to be jailhouse converts to Islam, were angry about the deaths of Muslims in Afghanistan, sources told The News.

"They wanted to make a statement," a law enforcement source said. "They were filled with rage and wanted to take it out on what they considered the source of all problems in America - the Jews."

The group's alleged ringleader, James Cromitie, according to the complaint, discussed targets with an undercover agent. "The best target [the World Trade Center] was hit already," he allegedly told the agent. Later, he rejoiced in a terrorist attack on a synagogue.

"I hate those motherf-----s, those f---ing Jewish bastards. . . . I would like to get [destroy] a synagogue."

The men allegedly parked car bombs wired to cell phones outside the Riverdale Temple and nearby Riverdale Jewish Center. They were also heading to Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh, Orange County, when the law swooped in on them.

Sources said their plan was to shoot down a cargo plane headed to Iraq or Afghanistan with a surface-to-air guided missile while simultaneously calling the cell phones and blowing up the Riverdale synagogues.

Sources said the four men were arrested after a year-long investigation that began when an informant connected to a mosque in Newburgh said he knew men who wanted to buy explosives.

FBI agents supplied them with what they billed as C-4 plastic explosives and a Stinger missile.

The weaponry was all phony.

"The bombs had been made by FBI technicians," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly. "They were totally inert."

Witnesses said an NYPD 18-wheeler blocked a black SUV on Independence Ave. in Riverdale and then officers broke in the darkened windows and yanked out the four men from inside the car

Among those arrested was Cromitie, of Newburgh, who is the son of an Afghan immigrant and his African-American wife.

Cromitie, who also called himself Abdul Rahman, has served a long stretch in prison.

David Williams, Onta Williams and Leguerre Payen - his alleged henchmen - were busted with him. Cromitie allegedly recruited them at the Newburgh mosque.

The undercover informant who promised to arm them posed as a member of Jaish-e-Mohammed, an anti-India Pakistani group with connections to Al Qaeda, said Joseph Demarest, assistant director of the New York FBI field office.

"This shows the real risks we face from homegrown terror and jailhouse converts, and the need for constant vigilance," said Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.).

The four alleged terrorists are expected to be arraigned Thursday in White Plains Federal Court.

"These guys were angry, they had intent and they were searching for capacity," a senior federal law enforcement official told The News. But, the official added, "It's not exactly Al Qaeda."

Richard Williams, who identified himself as Onta Williams' uncle, said he doesn't believe his nephew would be involved in the plot.

"I spoke to him last week, he gave no indication that anything was wrong," Williams told The News Wednesday night outside his Newburgh home.

Mayor Bloomberg hailed the joint investigation that took down the wanna-be mass murderers.

"While the bombs these terrorists attempted to plant tonight were - unbeknownst to them - fake, this latest attempt to attack our freedoms shows that the homeland security threats against New York City are sadly all too real and underscores why we must remain vigilant in our efforts to prevent terrorism," Bloomberg said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/05/20/2009-05-20_fbi_arrest_four_in_alleged_plot_to_car_bomb_bronx_synagogue.html?page=1
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:24:44 AM by Dan »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: FBI arrest four in plot to bomb Bronx synagogues, shoot down plane
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 07:32:28 AM »
if only they can get the death penalty immediately.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muppet

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:54:05 AM »
If they are natives to the country, ie, citizens then they should be hung for treason. If not citizens then they should be hung as a terrorist should be.

Bloody unbelievable.. There will never be any peace while them filthy Muslims live  :o ..

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:10:59 AM »
Islam is a death cult! The world needs to wake up!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:25:08 AM »
What is odd is that the 'synagogue' which the Muzzies targeted was a deformed temple with a Woman 'rabbi'... Obviously it is good that the plot was foiled but I am disappointed whenever I read about a 'Jewish Temple' which means a Reform jewish congragation {we Orthodox know that the only Temple which Jews should care about is the TEMPLE which we will rebuild in Jerusalem}.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »
What is odd is that the 'synagogue' which the Muzzies targeted was a deformed temple with a Woman 'rabbi'...

There's really nothing odd about it. The koranimals make no distinction between orthodox, reformed, conservative, zionist or anti-zionist Jews when planning and executing their jihad of genocide. All that matters is that they murder Jews. Men, women, children, old, young, liberal, conservative -- makes absolutely no difference. As long as they're Jews, that's good enough.

On a side note, I'm curious why women aren't accepted as Rabbis in orthodox Judaism. Perhaps we can discuss that in another thread.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 10:26:56 AM »
We have enough homegrown terrorists here in the US without bringing more here to be tried and housed from Guantanamo.

Everyone call your representatives and tell them NO to Obama's plan to close Guantanamo and bring terrorists to our neighborhoods!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 10:43:10 AM »
What is odd is that the 'synagogue' which the Muzzies targeted was a deformed temple with a Woman 'rabbi'...

There's really nothing odd about it. The koranimals make no distinction between orthodox, reformed, conservative, zionist or anti-zionist Jews when planning and executing their jihad of genocide. All that matters is that they murder Jews. Men, women, children, old, young, liberal, conservative -- makes absolutely no difference. As long as they're Jews, that's good enough.

On a side note, I'm curious why women aren't accepted as Rabbis in orthodox Judaism. Perhaps we can discuss that in another thread.

Hi Muck,

here are some links which may answer this question. If you would like we can discuss it in the Torah and Jewish ideas section...

http://www.torahweb.org/torah/2004/parsha/rsch_dvorim2.html
http://www.beingjewish.com/unchanged/keleman.html
http://www.torah.org/features/wperspective/rights.html
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 11:44:33 AM »

Hi Muck,

here are some links which may answer this question. If you would like we can discuss it in the Torah and Jewish ideas section...

http://www.torahweb.org/torah/2004/Parasha/rsch_dvorim2.html
http://www.beingjewish.com/unchanged/keleman.html
http://www.torah.org/features/wperspective/rights.html

Thanks, Muman.

The first link didn't work for me. The 2nd link seems to primarily deal with conservative and reformed twisted (in my opinion) rationalizations and justifications for not following halacha. The 3rd link appears to be an orthodox woman explaining why she is not disturbed by being prohibited from being a rabbi or part of a minyan.

These are good and interesting articles but not exactly what I was looking for. I'm more interested in trying to understand why and where in the Torah or oral law women have these restrictions placed upon them. Although such restrictions seem at first glance to be somewhat discriminatory in nature (from my largely secular and Westernized democratic viewpoint), I do not necessarily condemn them as misogynist or find them inherently unreasonable. I'm mainly interested in trying to ascertain their derivation, what source they came from and what is the rationale (if any) behind them.

Please feel free to provide an explanation or links explaining this in the Torah section as this doesn't appear to be the right place for such a discussion. I'll be on the lookout for your response and appreciate your feedback.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 11:45:11 AM »
I saw people wearing tfillin actually in the news...and a member stating it was the hand of Gd that saved them.  Also, the rabbi was mentioning that HE was about to give a class about the Talmud..doesn't sound like a reform temple to me.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »
I saw people wearing tfillin actually in the news...and a member stating it was the hand of Gd that saved them.  Also, the rabbi was mentioning that HE was about to give a class about the Talmud..doesn't sound like a reform temple to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520945,00.html

FOXNews.com
Synagogue Members in Shock Over New York Terror Plot

Thursday , May 21, 2009

ADVERTISEMENT

Jewish leaders and members of the two Riverdale, N.Y., synagogues targeted in Wednesday night's foiled terror plots were alarmed by what could have happened — but thankful that authorities were there to stop it.

"I really haven't had time to digest it," said Judith Lewis, the senior rabbi at the Riverdale Temple. "Having lived in Israel a couple of times, I guess I'm used to it."

Lewis said she had no warning when she encountered two plainclothes cops inside the temple just before the arrests were made Wednesday.

"They said there was a police action," she said.

"Nobody told us what was going on. I didn't realize what was happening until I walked into the parking lot and Independence Avenue was closed."

She was stunned to see cops with automatic weapons taking the suspects into custody.

"It looked incredibly well organized. They seemed to be doing a very good job, and I'm thankful for it," she said.

As word spread, members of the nearby Riverdale Jewish Center — the second target — "rushed over to see if everything is going to be OK," said its rabbi, Jonathan Rosenblatt.

His synagogue issued a statement to its members emphasizing that "at no time was there any real danger," Rosenblatt said.

They were also told that patrols were going to be beefed up around the synagogues, even though there's no imminent threat.

But nerves were frayed.

"When I found out it was the Riverdale Jewish Center, I thought, 'Oh, my G-d, that is us. We are members there. They're targeting our home,'" said Josh Loberfeld, 29, who attends services there every Saturday.

PS: I am not intending on creating a machlokes here. I am accepting of all Jews and my mother could have been in this kind of temple, she is more reformed.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »
This is how the shvartza beasts try to repay the jews for all that was done for them. These shvartza muslim animals need to be made an example of.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 12:24:27 PM »
This is how the shvartza beasts try to repay the jews for all that was done for them. These shvartza muslim animals need to be made an example of.

Exactly my thoughts.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 12:47:05 PM »
Could you imagine if a jew or a christian were caught planning to bomb an ape filled mosque?

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 12:51:33 PM »
I see more and more things like this happening.

I am becoming fearful.  I discuss this with my family and they call me paranoid.

I do not think it will be so safe for Jews much longer in most places of Western Society, including the USA.

Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 12:55:09 PM »
I see more and more things like this happening.

I am becoming fearful.  I discuss this with my family and they call me paranoid.

I do not think it will be so safe for Jews much longer in most places of Western Society, including the USA.

Until twenty years ago, you have had only white Nazis, antiimperial bolschewists and black supremacists as dangerous elements. Now Muslim popolation is growing in the USA. And they are much more uncivilized and nuts than this three other groups. Could be that you are right.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 12:57:06 PM »
Yes and the Muslim Nazis and the White Nazis are becoming more and more friendly.

This is actually nothing new though.

Rockwell tried to work w/ the Nation of Islam.

I think in our lifetimes things are going to get bad again beyond anything we have seen since WWII.

Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 12:57:42 PM »
Yes and the Muslim Nazis and the White Nazis are becoming more and more friendly.

I think in our lifetimes things are going to get bad again beyond anything we have seen since WWII.

I fear the same.

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 01:02:07 PM »

I fear the same.

Good, then I am not the only one.

My family calls me paranoid and says I sound like "one of those crazy conspiracy theorists" when I talk about the dangers we are facing.

I believe people like Jabotinsky were also called paranoid when trying to convince the Eastern European Jews to flee...

I don't think we are quite to that extreme yet, but I think it is moving steadily in that direction. 
I am not even exaggerating when I say that I am afraid half the time  to give people my last name in public...

So what do we do?  What is the answer?  Aliyah is the obvious answer, but will we be any safer over there even?

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »

I fear the same.

My family calls me paranoid and says I sound like "one of those crazy conspiracy theorists" when I talk about the dangers we are facing.

I believe people like Jabotinsky were also called paranoid when trying to convince the Eastern European Jews to flee...

I don't think we are quite to that extreme yet, but I think it is moving steadily in that direction. 
I am not even exaggerating when I say that I am afraid half the time  to give people my last name in public...

So what do we do?  What is the answer?  Aliyah is the obvious answer, but will we be any safer over there even?

I hate to sound pessimistic, but from everything I hear, Israel is now even worse. 

Imagine if 20% of Americans denied the holocaust????   Well.... according to the latest poll... 40% of Arabs in Israel are deniers.... and they will be the majority in a few years if things dont change.

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »

I fear the same.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but from everything I hear, Israel is now even worse. 

Imagine if 20% of Americans denied the holocaust????   Well.... according to the latest poll... 40% of Arabs in Israel are deniers.... and they will be the majority in a few years if things dont change.

Exactly.  So where do we go, Madagascar?   :::D

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 02:02:40 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520945,00.html

FOXNews.com
Synagogue Members in Shock Over New York Terror Plot

Thursday , May 21, 2009

ADVERTISEMENT

Jewish leaders and members of the two Riverdale, N.Y., synagogues targeted in Wednesday night's foiled terror plots were alarmed by what could have happened — but thankful that authorities were there to stop it.

"I really haven't had time to digest it," said Judith Lewis, the senior rabbi at the Riverdale Temple. "Having lived in Israel a couple of times, I guess I'm used to it."

Lewis said she had no warning when she encountered two plainclothes cops inside the temple just before the arrests were made Wednesday.

"They said there was a police action," she said.

"Nobody told us what was going on. I didn't realize what was happening until I walked into the parking lot and Independence Avenue was closed."

She was stunned to see cops with automatic weapons taking the suspects into custody.

"It looked incredibly well organized. They seemed to be doing a very good job, and I'm thankful for it," she said.

As word spread, members of the nearby Riverdale Jewish Center — the second target — "rushed over to see if everything is going to be OK," said its rabbi, Jonathan Rosenblatt.

His synagogue issued a statement to its members emphasizing that "at no time was there any real danger," Rosenblatt said.

They were also told that patrols were going to be beefed up around the synagogues, even though there's no imminent threat.

But nerves were frayed.

"When I found out it was the Riverdale Jewish Center, I thought, 'Oh, my G-d, that is us. We are members there. They're targeting our home,'" said Josh Loberfeld, 29, who attends services there every Saturday.

PS: I am not intending on creating a machlokes here. I am accepting of all Jews and my mother could have been in this kind of temple, she is more reformed.

I'm not judging your response about the reformed movement...however, I was watching CBS news and they had the orthodox synogogue and a male rabbi talking (I think rabbi rosenblat).  If it was two temples being targeted then one was the reform one and the other an orthodox one...

Offline ChaimBenMordechai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 03:58:05 PM »

True.

If only there were no self-hating Jews in the 60s...we'd all be better off today!

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »
Not all Blacks are Muslim nor does every Black hate Jews.

-It had to be said, sorry.

The race of the perpetrators is not important.  Only that they wanted to kill innocents, and that their hatred for Jews was their motive.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 04:49:36 PM »
Not all Blacks are Muslim nor does every Black hate Jews.

-It had to be said, sorry.

The race of the perpetrators is not important.  Only that they wanted to kill innocents, and that their hatred for Jews was their motive.

I agree... They should be judged for their actions and their intentions... If they were White Nazis, Black Muslims, whatever...