Author Topic: Glenn Beck we should all fast on Yom Kippur Idiot olbermann tries to mock him  (Read 3394 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
very typical of a leftist like olbermann

Offline cynthia

• Junior JTFer
You should have heard Beck today support Israel outright after Obama's speech at UN where he basically gave Israel away. 
We all knew it and today he said it in public.  Unbeleiveable.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I dont advise non-Jews to fast on the High Holiday of Yom Kippur unless they have the intention of converting to Judaism. The traditions and intentions for the fast must be done properly. I dont think non-Jews should attempt this. Without the proper intention the fast is not beneficial.

Although other religions have fasts the reason behind the fast is important. Yom Kippur fast is special and it should be respected.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Non-Jews are permitted to do acts of repentance in commemoration of Yom Kippur whether or not they fast.  Even though I think non-Jews are actually judged on Rosh Hashana.

That is correct. For a Jew who does Teshuva the judgment of Rosh Hashana can be changed because it is sealed on Yom Kippur... These 10 days between those two holidays {actually 7 days} are meant for repentance. I have been doing this as I have  taken off these 10 days from work {on holiday}.

Read this discussion of this topic:
http://forums.torah.org/viewtopic.php?t=28&sid=776eb1c43185982e866bc6f5d0165434
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:26:42 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
If I choose to fast as Glen Beck suggested, I wouldn't be trying to observe the Jewish holiday.
I don't believe that his suggestion was made out of disrespect for the Jewish people.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
If I choose to fast as Glen Beck suggested, I wouldn't be trying to observe the Jewish holiday.
I don't believe that his suggestion was made out of disrespect for the Jewish people.

Oh.. I wasn't implying that... I am sorry if that is what it seemed like... It is just that there are times like when Obama tries to observe the Jewish holidays which kind of mocks the real intention of the holiday... I know Beck would not do that.

I think Beck is doing very, very good and I praise him.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
I dont advise non-Jews to fast on the High Holiday of Yom Kippur unless they have the intention of converting to Judaism. The traditions and intentions for the fast must be done properly. I dont think non-Jews should attempt this. Without the proper intention the fast is not beneficial.

Although other religions have fasts the reason behind the fast is important. Yom Kippur fast is special and it should be respected.

I was loosely paying attention to Beck this morning when he was talking about fasting and I think he did not intend it to be a religious experience for non Jews. I believe he just wants people to stop and contemplate whats happening around them . It not important for non Jew to fast in any particular way since they are not doing it as a religious observance. As I said I think Beck just want the bulk of Americans to stop for a day and take stock of the events around them.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
There is no point for a non-Jew to fast on Yom Kippur. However, a Gentile CAN repent at any time.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
There is no point for a non-Jew to fast on Yom Kippur. However, a Gentile CAN repent at any time.
I don't have to repent for anything Mo2388, but I'll put your post in my circular file for future reference.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:36:53 PM by Mishmaat »

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Glenn Beck we should all fast on Yom Kippur Idiot olbermann tries to mock hi
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 08:14:35 PM »
Who said that there was any need to repent. The fact that it is Yom Kippur really has no meaning to non Jews. Not that I have any intention of fasting on that day or any other but Beck was not speaking of repent he was speaking about a day of reflection.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Glenn Beck we should all fast on Yom Kippur Idiot olbermann tries to mock him
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »
we must remember the story of Jonah which we will read on Yom Kippur...

Yonah was asked to go to Nineveh to ask the non-Jewish nation to repent... They did repent through prayer and donning sackcloth..

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Glenn Beck we should all fast on Yom Kippur Idiot olbermann tries to mock him
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 08:41:11 PM »
I don't have to repent for anything Mo1224, but I'll put your post in my circular file for future reference.

I didn't say that Bullcat3, what I mean was even though one doesn't have to fast they can do anything to "reflect" if they want.

EDIT: Please be respectful.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:35:35 PM by Mishmaat »

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 08:41:59 PM »
I don't have to repent for anything Mo1224, but I'll put your post in my circular file for future reference.

I didn't say that Bulldog3, what I mean was even though one doesn't have to fast they can do anything to "reflect" if they want.

Who the hell is bulldog? Mary

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »
Namecalling is uncalled for.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »

I think he implied we should call him Mary.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »

I think he implied we should call him Mary.

Morate misliti tvoj tako smiješno Gubitnik

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:57:55 PM »

I didn't say that Bulldog3, what I mean was even though one doesn't have to fast they can do anything to "reflect" if they want.

bulldog3

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 08:58:01 PM »
Fasting on Yom Kippur makes for me no sense.

I think this proposal of Glenn Beck is a Schnapps-idea.  :::D
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »
Chashavti shehu rotzeh et hazayin batoosik.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 09:01:10 PM »

Thank You, Muman.  I think that is what AH was trying to say.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 05:56:26 AM »
Fasting on Yom Kippur makes for me no sense.

I think this proposal of Glenn Beck is a Schnapps-idea.  :::D
No Glenn Beck can't drink he's a Mormon no Schnapps allowed
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 06:05:05 AM »
For any gentile contemplating on fasting- you should first be aware that for Jews fasting means no eating and no drinking.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 09:28:51 AM »
I have no problem with gentiles wanting to fast on Yom Kippur. 

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »
I have no problem with gentiles wanting to fast on Yom Kippur. 

I have no problem with this too. There are lots of good people who are attracted to Judaism. Some decide to be Noahides and some want to join completely.

But if you decide to be under the Law, you can't pick according to my believe.

You have to keep then the whole law. Otherwise it can hurt you spiritually.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani