Author Topic: Self-Serve Soda Fountains: Serving up Fecal Bacteria  (Read 893 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Self-Serve Soda Fountains: Serving up Fecal Bacteria
« on: January 09, 2010, 07:45:47 PM »
http://www.care2.com/causes/health-policy/blog/self-serve-soda-fountains-serving-up-fecal-bacteria/

How about a large cola and a side order of fecal matter? I hate to spoil your appetite, but you might want to think twice about using those self-serve soda fountains.

Research from Hollins University in Roanoke, VA indicates that the plastic tubing inside the soda machines may be a breeding ground for fecal bacteria.

Testing 90 beverages from 20 self-service and 10 employee-dispensed soda fountains in assorted fast food restaurants, the research team evaluated the results with respect to U.S. drinking water regulations. The drinks were analyzed for microbial contamination and coliform/fecal bacterium was detected in 48 percent of them, but only 20 percent of those exceeded the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s limits for drinking water. E. coli was present in 11 percent of the drinks tested.

Dr. Alanna Levine explains:

Just how does fecal bacterial end up in the soft drink machines? Customers or employees who do not wash their hands properly and then touch the machine, or if the water lines are not thoroughly cleaned, allowing bacteria to spread throughout the water lines and into the drinks.

Hand washing is still the simplest -- and cheapest -- way to avoid getting sick, helping to prevent the common cold, diarrheal diseases, respiratory infections, MRSA, food-borne illnesses such as salmonella and E. coli, and of course, the swine flu (H1N1), among other things.

Employers need to get serious about enforcing strict hand washing techniques and educating their employees on the dangers of contamination, although that doesn’t address the issue of customers using self-serve soda fountains.

There is a right way and a wrong way to wash your hands. The wrong way would be to give your hands an obligatory rinse with water because no one is looking. The right way, according to the Centers for Disease Control, is:

When washing hands with soap and water:

* Wet your hands with clean running water and apply soap. Use warm water if it is available.
    * Rub hands together to make a lather and scrub all surfaces.
    * Continue rubbing hands for 15-20 seconds.
    * Rinse hands well under running water.
    * Dry your hands using a paper towel or air dryer. If possible, use your paper towel to turn off the faucet.
    * Always use soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.

If soap and clean water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub to clean your hands. Alcohol-based hand rubs significantly reduce the number of germs on skin and are fast-acting. When using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer:

* Apply product to the palm of one hand.
    * Rub hands together.
    * Rub the product over all surfaces of hands and fingers until hands are dry.

Although there have been no reports of illness caused by the bacteria, Dr. Levine cautioned that contaminated drinks could pose a threat to people who are already weakened by sickness. Symptoms of concern include vomiting, severe diarrhea, and abnormal cramping. If you have a weakened immune system, you just might want to skip the self-serve soda fountain.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Re: Self-Serve Soda Fountains: Serving up Fecal Bacteria
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 09:22:43 PM »
YIKES.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I am never surprised to see sugary products produce microbes; as a gardener adding a can of Coke or beer or both helps the microbes, bacteria, and fungi in the soil flourish.

I once read a book called, "Is it Kosher?", written by a very Orthodox Jew.  The book is so detailed it will put you off eating even VEGETABLES.

"How much mold exists in THIS type of food, THAT type of food, etc..."

He did make a point about whisky.  A proper single-malt is the way to go vs. whisky blends.  Then again I do not drink as much whisky!

"Lemmie get a Manischeweitz straight up, on the rocks...  you know what, make it the black label...  hope you don't mind but I just go back from a trip to Israel and all I have is a fist full of shekels."
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:52:33 PM »
Yum.... now I can have a feces diet coke to go with my window cleaning whopper jr.....what will they think of next.  :P

What is shekels?
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:07:14 AM by Mishmaat »

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I have that but I don't know what it stands for like usa money.
Hasta La Vista Baby!