Author Topic: Hidden Faggot (aka "Laughing Sage"), it's time to drop the act.  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Hidden Faggot (aka "Laughing Sage"), it's time to drop the act.
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »
I'd love a copy of that Talmud w/o the Hebrew and Aramaic!  That is not an actual Talmud scan.  It's not like I have years of time in Yeshiva down, but I have picked up a book or two.  Ani mevin katsat Ivrit loh kolkah tov, so it's always the first thing I see when I open the Talmud volumes...  brickwall.  Only a portion of the pages texts should be in English, if at all.

If you know basic Hebrew, it might be a good idea to study Talmud in Hebrew and Aramaic using a Jastrow dictionary. You might also want to look at the Steinsaltz Talmud edition which has vowels and punctuation added in.

And of course the Artscroll series which has published English translations of the Talmud, but it is of course better to at least couple that learning with a direct teacher-to-student learning of the text without translation because you want to develop an ability to grapple with the text and not always have to rely on artscroll translation or be spoonfed the understanding like they basically give you (they inescapably incorporate commentary and explanation -based on different rishonim - into the basic translation since the Talmud itself is usually very terse but packed with information and underlying discussion that is not explicitly written or not right away understood without additional commentary/explanation beyond the literal word-for-word meanings.  And without explanation a word-for-word translation can leave a person clueless as to what is being said).  That being said, it is still a great way for beginners to become immersed in Talmud and see many subjects quickly while building on the skills to learn independent of a spoonfed translation.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Hidden Faggot (aka "Laughing Sage"), it's time to drop the act.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 06:17:28 PM »
The late and great Ronen Nachman educated me on this anti-semitic canard about Jews and raping three year olds that you see all over YT.  of course it's ridiculous, but I wondered why was I seeing the same anti-semitic line.  Anyway, for those of you who have seen that trash, the Talmud quote is about the legal PUNISHMENT for a man who rapes a child under the age of 3.  The Talmud asks whether or not the PUNISHMENT should be different for the rape of a minor under vs. over 3 years of age.  That passage of the Talmud is not about permission to rape but about the severity of the PUNISHMENT for rape!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:27:02 PM by JTFenthusiast2 »