Author Topic: When someone says "Merry Christmas" to a Jew, what does a Jew say back?  (Read 16398 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: When someone says "Merry Christmas" to a Jew, what does a Jew say back?
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »
Here is another article which discusses the topic of gift giving:

{of course spell Parasha p*a*r*s*h*a}

http://www.cckollel.org/html/Parasha/bereishis/vayishlach5764.html

Halacha Encounters

It's That Time of Year
Some Halachos pertaining to interacting with non-Jews on their Holidays

Rabbi Moshe Rosenstein

Yaakov Avinu tells Eisav in this week's Parasha, “ Im Lavan garti , I have been living with Lavan.” Chazal tell us what he was really saying was, “ …viTaryag Mitzvos shamarti , [and even so,] I kept all 613 mitzvos.” We too spend our lives living in a society and culture that is alien to the ideals and morals that Torah represents and we too try out hardest to be able to say vitaryag mitzvos shamarti . At no time of year is it more apparent that we are living in a community that is not strictly our own as it is this time of year, the “Holiday Season.” One cannot do anything from shopping to going to work without the “themes” of the season being apparent from all sides. As it has become the custom in their culture to give each other gifts at this time of year, many of us find ourselves in the situation that we too need to be involved in the exchanging of gifts with our non-Jewish employers, employees or associates. In this week's Halacha Encounters we will examine some of the halachos related to the giving of gifts to Gentiles, particularly during this time of year.
Giving “Holiday” Gifts

In olden times when the Gentiles were assumed to be actual idol worshippers, it was forbidden to give a gift to them on their holidays (or three days prior as well). The reason for this prohibition was that they would, as a result, thank their gods. Since Gentiles are bound by the Seven Mitzvos B'nei Noach, including the prohibition to recognize or serve other gods, the Jewish gift-giver would have thereofre violated the prohibition of lifnei ivier lo sitein michshol , not placing a stubling block infront of another person. The poskim point out that nowadays this problem is less prevelant and it is therefore permissible to give gifts, although it is preferable to give the gift somewhat before the actual day of the religious observance. 1 If, however, one was not able to give the gift earlier, it is better to give it on the actual day than to give it later, as this may be insulting to the recipient and cause animosity. 2 If one includes a card, one should not mention the actual name of the holiday on the card 3 but should rather write “season's greetings” or the like. 4

Giving a Gift of Non-Kosher Food

There is a general prohibition against doing business with food that is not kosher. 5 According to many poskim , this prohibition is Biblically prohibited. 6 In general, this prohibition includes raising, buying and selling or most other forms of profiting from dealings with non-kosher food products. 7 The poskim also address giving non-kosher foodstuffs as gifts. The Beis Yosef rules that one may not give non-kosher products as gifts either. Since the purpose of a gift is really to strengthen one's relationship with the recipient (especially when it comes to a business associate), this is akin to a business deal and is therefore included in the prohibition. 8

Some poskim mention that if one is giving the gift strictly out of fear of repercussions, then it is permissible as this can not be considered a “business deal.” 9 However, under other, normal circumstances, it would not be permissible to give a non-kosher gift (for example, a gift basket with treif food in it or the like) to clients, secretaries, co-workers or other business associates.
Exceptions to the Rule

There are however, several criteria and exceptions to the prohibition of doing business with non-kosher food products.

1 – Issurei diRabonnon. The prohibition applies only to food items that are prohibited from the Torah. 10 Any food that is only Rabbinically prohibited is permissible. Therefore items commonly found in gift baskets (or the like) may not be subject to this prohibition at all. Items like wine, liquor or chocolate may very well only be prohibited midiRabonnon . Certainly, however, most meat or cheese products as well as caviar from non-kosher fish are, in fact, assur min haTorah and would therefore be subject to the prohibition. If one is purchasing a gift basket that contains many items, one must be sure to ascertain that there are no issurei Torah contained in it.

2 – If the Jew received the basket as a gift. The prohibition of doing business with non-kosher food only applies if one set out initially to deal with the treif food; if one went out to buy the food with the intention of reselling it or giving it as a gift. 11 Food that one receives “by chance” is not subject to the prohibition and one may therefore sell it or give it away. There are several common scenarios where this dispensation will apply. If one receives a free sample in the mail of non-kosher food or a voucher for a meal in a restaurant, one would be permitted to give it away to a non-Jewish neighbor or housekeeper. Likewise, if one received a gift basket or the like that contains non-kosher food in it, one would be permitted to give that basket (or any of the non-kosher food contained in it) to a non-Jewish neighbor, associate, worker or housekeeper. 12

3 – If the gift is going to an employee. Some poskim permit the giving of non-kosher food to employees. They contend that this is not called “doing business” with the food but rather “using” the food. 13 This leniency is the subject of a dispute amongst the poskim and it is therefore questionable if one should rely on it limaaseh . 14

4 – If the gift is coming from a group. If a group of non-Jewish employees are pooling their funds together to purchase a gift for their employer, it may be permissible for a Jew to contribute as well. 15 This too is questionable and one should be sure to clarify the Halacha before agreeing to participate.

These are the basic guidelines concerning how and when it is permissible to give a gift to Gentile associates. As always, one should consult their Rav for a final Halachic ruling on these matters. BE”H we should be zocheh to make a Kiddush Sheim Shamayim and be able to say next year “ B'America garti v'Taryag Mitzvos shamarti. ”

1 Rema Y.D. 158:12

2 Shach 158:13

3 See Y.D. 147:2 and Gra 3

4 Rav Shmuel Fuerst, shlit”a and contemporary poskim

5 Y.D. 117:1 in the name of the Rishonim

6 See Taz 1

7 See 117:1 and commentaries

8 Y.D. 186b quoting Hagahos Maymonios Ma'achalos Asuros 8:8.

9 Pri Toar Y.D. 117:3

10 117:1

11 ibid.

12 See Chidushei R' Akiva Eiger Y.D. 117 s.v. v'im nizdamein .

13 See Shach 117:3

14 Especially given that the machlokes is in reference to employees that one has a responsibility to feed. It is questionable as to whether or not one can apply this to our case as well where there is no actual responsibility on the part of the employer to give a gift to the employee.

15 See Aruch HaShulchan 117:23; Darchei Teshuva 39; Sha'arim Hamitzuyanim b'Halacha siman 64

Rabbi Rosenstein learns full time in the Kollel and is a frequent contributor to Halacha Encounters.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »
Yet more lengthy cut-and-pastes. Once again this isn't a bad thing, but how about some more of your own thought, meaning besides short, ambiguous statements ("generally I wish Christians well on their holiday") or pronouncements about your level of observance that are not empirically verifiable on the internet ("I obviously look and act highly Jewish")?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 02:50:24 PM »
This site has some of the relevant Halacha concerning gentiles...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/912369/jewish/Chapter-Ten.htm
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
Yet more lengthy cut-and-pastes. Once again this isn't a bad thing, but how about some more of your own thought, meaning besides short, ambiguous statements ("generally I wish Christians well on their holiday") or pronouncements about your level of observance that are not empirically verifiable on the internet ("I obviously look and act highly Jewish")?

hey dbf, happy kwanzaa... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 02:52:34 PM »

DBF,

I have posted my own thought. The question is concerning the Halacha of whether we should reply with a Holiday greeting to non-Jews.

What I have found on the topic I have posted here. It shows that the Halacha is that a Jew is permitted to say Happy Holidays to a non-Jew in order to keep peace. To me it seems very simple.

BTW... Happy Holidays DBF!

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 03:57:11 PM »
I happen to agree with cjd in that the article in question barely touches upon the actual issue in question.  He brings a lot of (barely) tangentially related information, but the simple question is, what does the halacha say about that particular greeting?    Even when he cites Rabbi Feinstein, it's a halacha which has nothing to do with the question!  

In any case, I think it's preferred not to say "christmas" (and rather to say happy holidays instead) but at the same time there are exceptional circumstances depending on the situation - you should ask your rav.   I once asked a shaila about this but it was slightly different circumstances, so I don't want to apply the psak generally here.

What the Rabbi in the article I posted said makes complete sense to me. The halacha appears to be the same as for Thanksgiving {which is the case I believe that Rabbi Moshe Feinstein was answering}.... Jews in the diaspora should return this Holiday greeting in order to maintain peace between the Jews and the gentiles. That is what I understand the Halacha is..

Not even close, Muman.   I am familiar with Rabbi Feinstein's position about celebrating on gentile holidays (on those which lack religious content).   But that has nothing to do with the question of exchanging a certain greeting!   It's not the same case and not the same halacha.   It's an example he  brought which doesn't address the issue, simple as that.

And no one here is asking if a Jew should celebrate christmas, because they definitely should NOT and that is where the citation of Rabbi Feinstein would be relevant!    Other citations he brought would seem to contradict that, but keep in mind the time and place they were living and what the real repercussions were of 'not participating' at that time which are not the case in our day.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 04:04:09 PM »
I happen to agree with cjd in that the article in question barely touches upon the actual issue in question.  He brings a lot of (barely) tangentially related information, but the simple question is, what does the halacha say about that particular greeting?    Even when he cites Rabbi Feinstein, it's a halacha which has nothing to do with the question!  

In any case, I think it's preferred not to say "christmas" (and rather to say happy holidays instead) but at the same time there are exceptional circumstances depending on the situation - you should ask your rav.   I once asked a shaila about this but it was slightly different circumstances, so I don't want to apply the psak generally here.

What the Rabbi in the article I posted said makes complete sense to me. The halacha appears to be the same as for Thanksgiving {which is the case I believe that Rabbi Moshe Feinstein was answering}.... Jews in the diaspora should return this Holiday greeting in order to maintain peace between the Jews and the gentiles. That is what I understand the Halacha is..

Not even close, Muman.   I am familiar with Rabbi Feinstein's position about celebrating on gentile holidays (on those which lack religious content).   But that has nothing to do with the question of exchanging a certain greeting!   It's not the same case and not the same halacha.   It's an example he  brought which doesn't address the issue, simple as that.

And no one here is asking if a Jew should celebrate christmas, because they definitely should NOT and that is where the citation of Rabbi Feinstein would be relevant!

So what are you saying?

I don't know what is so hard about the question, or the answer which was given according to Rabbi Kelman {whose article I posted in this thread}.

Basically the issues seem to be:

1) A Jew is not permitted to engage in any aspect of the observance of a non-Jewish holiday.
2) In cases where the Jew feels that peace will be kept if engaging in some of these non-religious aspects {such a greetings} it is best for the Jew to engage in them {such as a Holiday party, giving gifts, and greetings}..

As I have read several opinions on the subject I realize that my own personal opinion on the subject happens to be according to the Halacha.

Furthermore we must avoid any practice that may cause friction with our fellow citizens. And this would include not "celebrating" the festivals with our non-Jewish neighbours. Rav Moshe Isserles in his glosses to the the Shulchan Aruch (standard code of Jewish law written in the 16th century by Rav Yosef Karo, a victim of the Spanish expulsion) rules that if non-Jews are celebrating even a religious festival, Jews must join in the celebrations lest tension be created. It seems obvious that participation in the office holiday party - which today has little if any religious flavour to say the least - is a must for the modern day employee. Similarly the Shulchan Aruch permits (encourages?) the sending of gifts to non Jewish acquaintances during their festival season

BTW: A good discussion of the topic of Thanksgiving is @ http://www.tfdixie.com/special/thanksg.htm
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:15:20 PM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 04:20:19 PM »
Maybe you are thinking of Halacha #5 from Rambams Mishne Torah chapter 10.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/912369/jewish/Chapter-Ten.htm

Halacha 5

We should provide for poor idolaters together with poor Jews for the sake of peace. One should not rebuke idolaters [from taking] leket, shich'chah, and pe'ah, for the sake of peace. One may inquire about their well-being - even on their festivals - for the sake of peace.

One may never repeat good wishes to them. Also, one should not enter the house of a gentile on one of his festivals to wish him well. If one encounters him in the marketplace, one may greet him meekly with a serious countenance.

Commentary Halacha 5

We should provide for poor idolaters - even idolaters

together with poor Jews - Some authorities place emphasis on the word "together," explaining that it is permitted to give to idolaters only when they come together with the Jewish poor. If they come by themselves, however, one is not allowed to give them. The later authorities (see Turei Zahav, Yoreh De'ah 151:9; Siftei Cohen 151:19) do not accept this conclusion, and allow giving them gifts even when they come

for the sake of peace. - Tosafot (Gittin 61a) explains that since giving these donations establishes peace, granting them is not forbidden by the prohibition against giving gifts to gentiles mentioned in the previous halachah.

One should not rebuke idolaters [from taking] - from the produce which the Torah has allotted for the poor. Among the gifts that must be left for them to collect are:

leket - the stalks of grain which fall during the harvest. (See Leviticus 23:22; Hilchot Matnot Ani'im, Chapter 4.)

shich'chah - a sheaf which is forgotten in the field. (See Deuteronomy 24:19, Hilchot Matnot Ani'im, Chapter 5.)

and pe'ah - the ends of the field which the owner is forbidden to reap. (See Leviticus, ibid.; Hilchot Matnot Ani'im, Chapters 2 and 3.)

for the sake of peace. - According to Torah law, gentiles are not entitled to benefit from these gifts. Nevertheless, the Rabbis granted them permission to do so to prevent strife from arising between the Jews and their gentile neighbors.

One may inquire about their well-being - even on their festivals - when doing so might lead them to give thanks to their false deity

for the sake of peace. - The Shulchan Aruch, Yoreh De'ah 151:12, states that we may also visit their sick, bury their dead, and comfort their mourners.

One may never - even on a day other than one of their holidays (Gittin 62a)

repeat good wishes to them - since wishing them well once is sufficient to prevent ill-feelings from being established (Rashi, Gittin, ibid.).

Also, one should not enter the house of a gentile on one of his festivals to wish him well. - We have translated this phrase loosely, without dealing with the issue of whether the word shalom is included in the blessing as well. There are, however, authorities who maintain that this is the essential question at hand. Shalom is one of the names of G-d and should not be mentioned in a gentile's house on a day when he is involved in the worship of a false deity. According to this opinion, it is permitted to extend good wishes to a gentile, so long as this term is not used (Siftei Cohen, Yoreh De'ah 148:7).

The Siftei Cohen, ibid. and 148:12, states that even according to the opinions (see the introduction to Chapter 9) that state that many of these laws do not apply in the present age, this law must be observed.

If one encounters him in the marketplace, one may greet him - so that no ill-feelings are aroused, but should convey that greeting

meekly with a serious countenance - so that the gentile will not be so happy that he desires to give thanks to his false deity.

PS: It seems that the basis of the recent Rabbis ruling concerning selling Jewish land to non-Jews is derived from the Halachas of Chapter 10 of Avodah Kochavim... (See Halacha #3}

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:31:35 PM by muman613 »

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 04:33:03 PM »
I return the greeting if it's someone i don't know and then say i'm Jewish Happy Chanuka they always return the greeting
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 04:57:50 PM »

And no one here is asking if a Jew should celebrate christmas, because they definitely should NOT and that is where the citation of Rabbi Feinstein would be relevant!

So what are you saying?  

Read my posts and you'll see what I'm saying.

I don't know what is so hard about the question, or the answer which was given according to Rabbi Kelman {whose article I posted in this thread}.  

What's hard about it is that he addressed a different question, not the one posed in this thread.

Question in this thread - How should a Jew reply to a merry christmas greeting.
Question discussed in that article - Are Jews allowed to celebrate non-Jewish holidays  (and what about if they are religious or non-religious holidays).

Different questions.   Exchanging a greeting with someone who initiates it to you randomly is not the same thing as a celebration of the holiday!   (Celebrating a holiday means instituting a meal, a family get-together, exchanging gifts etc)   Yet the question remains, is an exchange of greetings permitted since it invokes their holiday?

I've asked a shaila about this but there were extenuating circumstances involved, so I won't generalize the psak in the forum here.   I advise people to ask their rabbi's what is appropriate to do in that circumstance.

And if people prefer not to ask, but they are personally uncomfortable with saying merry christmas under any circumstances (even if it would be permitted for some reason), then I think Boyana's response makes a lot of sense - Thanks, but I don't celebrate, have a happy holiday  (or whatever).    Getting into discussions about having thanksgiving meals is really not at all relevant, no offense muman.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »
Of course the best action concerning questions of Halacha is to ask a respected Rabbi the question... I never suggest that my opinions, or those of Rabbis I find on the Internet, should take the place of asking your own Rabbi...

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
I notice I only get it from old ignorant men and women. The are too blind to see my kippah I guess LOL
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 09:39:32 PM »
If someone is visibly Jewish, such as wearing a kippah, I wouldn't say anything like that to them, but I hope someone would forgive me if I made an honest mistake.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 11:35:01 PM »
hey dbf, happy kwanzaa...
:::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D

Nothin' mo betta!

Steal a Menorah and load it up with Christmas colored candles right around the Hanukah/Christmas time period... very clever. :::D
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
Don't forget your sub-saharan attire.

(Does she have a talit draped over her arm?)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 09:17:34 AM »

Time for Wolf's annual Kwanzaa Karols...

Twas the night befo Kwanzaa and all through the hoods.  Ruffus had a crowbar and a bag full of stolen goods.  The food stamps were hung by the fire escapes with care, with the sounds of police sirens filled the air.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 10:01:47 AM »
If someone is visibly Jewish, such as wearing a kippah, I wouldn't say anything like that to them, but I hope someone would forgive me if I made an honest mistake.
Thats funny i occasionally peruse StørmFrønt and i love their disappointment when they find out someone is Jewish or has a Jewish parent.For example the guy who played Stonewall Jackson in the movie G-ds and Generals and the military leader in Avatar has a Jewish Father and Irish Mother  [ Stephen Lang] caused some to be pretty upset when they Found out he had a Jewish Father.This happens all the time when they find out someone they liked is fully Jewish or has a Jewish Parent :::D :::D
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 10:10:45 AM »
Those people are extremely obssessed. I don't think you should even try to figure them out. Just avoid them or fight them.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 10:35:16 AM »
Those people are extremely obssessed. I don't think you should even try to figure them out. Just avoid them or fight them.
:laugh: :laugh:

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »
:laugh: :laugh:

I'm glad I don't understand their BS.

Offline wonga66

• Master JTFer
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »
The abominable President of the State of Israel wishes the world "a profound Merry Christmas"!
http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/peres-wishes-christian-world-profound-christmas-greetings-1.332506

The Machiavellian eternally scheming Shimon Peres (nee Persky) was raised in a Jesuit school, & it is claimed that he is an agent of the Vatican and European Faction of the NWO (Bibi being an agent of the American Faction of the NWO!).

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2010, 02:28:37 PM »

Time for Wolf's annual Kwanzaa Karols...

Twas the night befo Kwanzaa and all through the hoods.  Ruffus had a crowbar and a bag full of stolen goods.  The food stamps were hung by the fire escapes with care, with the sounds of police sirens filled the air.

Hahaha, very good!

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2010, 11:36:20 PM »
Honestly, I respect Kwanza as any other celebration which honours an ethnicity and one's heritage.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »
Honestly, I respect Kwanza as any other celebration which honours an ethnicity and one's heritage.

So you celebrate copycat fraud holidays.  You realize Kwanzaa was created by a jealous black person who took some stuff from hanukah and some stuff from Christmas.  You realize they light a Kenorah....a KENORAH!!! I mean how original is that fraud of a holiday?!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein