Author Topic: A Question About Pollard  (Read 848 times)

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
A Question About Pollard
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:36:53 PM »
I've never really read much about the Jonathan Pollard case.

A question...do JTFers think that he should not have been punished at all, or do they think he did break the law but that the punishment was excessive?

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
Re: A Question About Pollard
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
imo: It's ridiculous that he was punished at all! Israel and the US are supposed allies, so why not tell each other what each needs to know! Mr. Pollard should be free!

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 03:11:27 AM »
I think that the whole affair could have been resolved with a slap on the wrist sort of punishment at the most.

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »
I've never really read much about the Jonathan Pollard case.

A question...do JTFers think that he should not have been punished at all, or do they think he did break the law but that the punishment was excessive?

Jonathan Pollard is rotting in jail because he took upon himself to pass information that was vital to Israel's security and that was being withheld by the Pentagon, in violation of a 1983 Memorandum of Understanding between the two countries regarding the sharing of vital security intelligence. This included : reconnaissance satellite photography of PLO headquarters in Tunisia, specific capabilities of Libya's air defenses, and U.S. intelligence about Arab and Islamic conventional and unconventional military activity, from Morocco to Pakistan and every country in between.
This is his twenty-sixth year in prison, making him the longest-imprisoned convicted spy in American history. The median sentence for the offense Pollard committed -- one count of passing classified information to an ally -- is two to four years.
From a moral point of view, my personal view is that Jonathan Pollard is a Jewish hero.
From a legal point of view, he should have served a three-year sentence at most. What he has been going through is outrageous.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:11:26 AM »
I think that the whole affair could have been resolved with a slap on the wrist sort of punishment at the most.
This was out of the question because Ronald Reagan did what Caspar Weinberger and Fag Buchanan told him to do, plain and simple.