Author Topic: Who Loves Androids?  (Read 5861 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Who Loves Androids?
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:22 PM »
This thread is completely off-topic... But maybe some tech-heads will have some comments...

About two weeks ago I needed to get a new cellphone. My previous Palm Trio was a piece of junk. I hated that phone very much because it would hang up unexpectedly, often taking 1 minute to reboot. This would be a problem when I was waiting for important calls and I would miss them. To make a long story short I went to Radio Shack to find out what new phone they could give me...

I was happy that they showed me a very nice Android based LG phone {pictured below} :

After getting the phone I tried out all of the apps and downloaded several of the free apps available at the Android market. I have to admit I am hooked on the Android platform at this point.

The company which I work for is actually developing Audio/Video codecs for Android {although I do not know which models have our chip in them}... I think Android has a great future.

I was so enthused I jumped on the bandwagon and began to develop an application for my phone. I was so excited I decided to invest an additional $300 for an Android 7" tablet {pictured below}:

The 7" tablet is great. It almost replaces the laptop which I use every morning to read the internet news. It also works great for internet radio, youtube, and as an alarm clock. There are also some elementary games on the unit..

Does anyone else like the Android?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
Re: Who Loves Androids?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »
i love android as well, my samsung captivate is excellent

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
I'm looking at getting a tablet, but not an Ipad.  After all, I'm not a Mac person.  What brand is your Android tablet, Muman?  I don't want to spend a lot of money on one. 

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »
I have had Android based phones ever since the original G1. Its a great platform, also how hard is it to develop programs for Android?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »
I'm looking at getting a tablet, but not an Ipad.  After all, I'm not a Mac person.  What brand is your Android tablet, Muman?  I don't want to spend a lot of money on one. 

Lisa,

I got a Huawei Ideos S7 tablet...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:24:14 PM »
I have had Android based phones ever since the original G1. Its a great platform, also how hard is it to develop programs for Android?

It is very easy. I downloaded the SDK from google... Installed 'eclipse' IDE and whammo, you can start developing and testing on the included Emulator. You must know the Java language but the IDE makes creating the GUI very easy.

Check out this link : http://developer.android.com/index.html

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »
I'm using an iPhone. It's way over-hyped. It is only good if you have it jailbroken. I want an android, will likely take the nexus S unless something better shows up.

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:48:59 PM »
I'm using an iPhone. It's way over-hyped. It is only good if you have it jailbroken. I want an android, will likely take the nexus S unless something better shows up.

iphone is overhyped. The great thing about Android something is always better coming out. I have the Glacier(mytouch4G). Its the best, I have it rooted its the tops

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:58:58 PM »
Yup.  Recently got my first "smart phone" and it has an android OS, and I love it.

I'm interested to know what kind of application you're going to make.    I did notice that the Android market is a little bit lacking in jewish-type apps, whereas I think some pretty advanced ones already exist for iphone (for example, kosher restaurant search, davening apps etc).

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:59:34 PM »
Also, Muman, what is the model you have pictured there?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »
Also, Muman, what is the model you have pictured there?

Hello KWRBT,

The phone which I got, which is pictured, is the LG LS670 model.... I paid only $36 because it was an upgrade... Ive been a Sprint customer for almost 17 years now and they want to keep me as a customer. But my monthly service went from $59 a month to $79 a month...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »
Yup.  Recently got my first "smart phone" and it has an android OS, and I love it.

I'm interested to know what kind of application you're going to make.    I did notice that the Android market is a little bit lacking in jewish-type apps, whereas I think some pretty advanced ones already exist for iphone (for example, kosher restaurant search, davening apps etc).

I like Mustang GTs and have several miniature model Mustangs on my shelf. I thought it would be a good app to take 3D models of Mustangs and put them in an app which you can select a Mustang model {i.e. 1966 Mustang, 1980 Mustang, 1990s Mustang, etc.} select the color and trimmings and then draw it on a background image. The android includes the OpenGL 3d library which can be used to draw 3d models. The android can also respond to tilting and shaking, and the application I am writing will rotate the car as you tilt the unit, or spin it out when you shake it...

That is the app for Android which I started last Sunday...

Here are some renders of 3D models of Mustangs:

1969 Shelby Mustang

PS: The Android Market does have some Jewish titles. I have a Siddur which has the entire Sacharit service in Hebrew on my phone... I also have 2 good Jewish calendar and Zmamim apps...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bunjix.apps.jewcal&feature=search_result
https://market.android.com/details?id=il.avimak.TehillatHashem&feature=search_result

I was also thinking of maybe writing a widget which would display the JTF headlines along with the Kach logo...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:12:35 AM by muman613 »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 08:43:35 AM »
When you said Android I was thinking of R. Daneel Olivaw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Daneel_Olivaw

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:42:24 AM »
Hello KWRBT,

The phone which I got, which is pictured, is the LG LS670 model.... I paid only $36 because it was an upgrade... Ive been a Sprint customer for almost 17 years now and they want to keep me as a customer. But my monthly service went from $59 a month to $79 a month...

Does it have a name? 

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 10:36:08 AM »

I understand it runs Linux. I can get one in June. I'm on Sprint. I see everyone here likes it.
So, if it runs Linux, can you open up a shell to the device itself? I can imagine what I can do with it if I can.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »
I understand it runs Linux. I can get one in June. I'm on Sprint. I see everyone here likes it.
So, if it runs Linux, can you open up a shell to the device itself? I can imagine what I can do with it if I can.

Hi ACK,

Yes, Android is based on Linux operating system. But developers for Android do not need to know about the underlying operating system. One of the design features of Android is that it is operating system independent. No need for the developer to worry about the details, he must only be concerned with utilizing Java classes which encapsulate the functionality.

For instance there are libraries for graphics, speech recognition and text-to-speech, network connections, threads and processes, etc. I think that this is an excellent idea and the culmination of the entire Java vision. Javas original vision was that a programmer could write one program and it would run on any platform which runs a Java VM.

If a programmer wants to I am sure he is able to get to the Linux kernel. But I don't recommend developing like this. It is nice to hack your phone but basically it is best to run your app in the application programming language, which is Java for androids...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_language

Java is a programming language originally developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems (which is now a subsidiary of Oracle Corporation) and released in 1995 as a core component of Sun Microsystems' Java platform. The language derives much of its syntax from C and C++ but has a simpler object model and fewer low-level facilities. Java applications are typically compiled to bytecode (class file) that can run on any Java Virtual Machine (JVM) regardless of computer architecture. Java is a general-purpose, concurrent, class-based, object-oriented language that is specifically designed to have as few implementation dependencies as possible. It is intended to let application developers "write once, run anywhere". Java is currently one of the most popular programming languages in use, and is widely used from application software to web applications.[9][10]

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »
I personally prefer Blackberry and still have an iPhone, but I do like your tablet. Where did you buy it?
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »
I personally prefer Blackberry and still have an iPhone, but I do like your tablet. Where did you buy it?

I got the Huawei at BestBuy...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Huawei+-+Ideos+7%22+Tablet+S7+-+White/1411106.p?id=1218264013837&skuId=1411106&st=ideos%20s7&cp=1&lp=2

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »
Does it have a name? 

I mean, is it the lg ally, lg ____ something or other?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 08:37:45 PM »
I mean, is it the lg ally, lg ____ something or other?

Apparently it is called the LG Optimus LS670...

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/LG-LS670-Purple.jsp

LG LS670 Purple

Andriod 2.2, Wi-Fi Connectivity with Hotspot, 3.2" Touch Screen, Google Maps Navigation

The LG Optimus S™ gets all the time-saving goodies of the latest Android™ 2.2 - speed, simplicity, and apps like Google Voice™ Actions that make online search, shopping, and music just an easy voice command. Turn Optimus S into a Wi-Fi® hotspot so friends can surf too. Its large and inviting 3.2" touch screen is perfect for smartphone newbies. And Optimus S can be customized with five different home screens. Now that's smart!

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 09:10:40 PM »
Not that I disagree with threads like this but why is it okay for you to make threads about technology but not okay for me to make threads about evil, and usually anti-Semitic, celebrities that are brainwashing millions of kids to do immoral things?

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 09:16:32 PM »
Hi ACK,

Yes, Android is based on Linux operating system. But developers for Android do not need to know about the underlying operating system. One of the design features of Android is that it is operating system independent. No need for the developer to worry about the details, he must only be concerned with utilizing Java classes which encapsulate the functionality.

If a programmer wants to I am sure he is able to get to the Linux kernel. But I don't recommend developing like this. It is nice to hack your phone but basically it is best to run your app in the application programming language, which is Java for androids...

I have not touched an android yet - I have to wait until June, Sprint rules and regulations...
But what if I'm really masochistic and I want to get in to internals?

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 09:26:34 PM »
Apparently it is called the LG Optimus LS670... 

Oh, ok.  It looks pretty cool.   

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
Not that I disagree with threads like this but why is it okay for you to make threads about technology but not okay for me to make threads about evil, and usually anti-Semitic, celebrities that are brainwashing millions of kids to do immoral things?

Shalom TBF,

I missed you while you were gone.

I dont have a problem with the basic premise of posting news items about bad celebrities. The only issue which I brought up before is that it seemed that you posted about the same couple of celebrities over and over again. I don't intend to regularly post about technology here. This is not the place. But occasionally people post things about topics which are interesting to them. Androids and software development are very interesting to me, and I wanted to share this with JTF members.

PS: I think you are entitled to make threads on whatever topic you like. Don't feel that I am inhibiting your posting..

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 09:41:23 PM »
I have nothing against your androids thread. But, I do think currently popular evil celebrities are more relevant to JTF's core concerns and mission than technology.