Author Topic: Rabbi's say not to use hollitic medicines  (Read 1039 times)

Offline The proud Jew

• Pro JTFer
Rabbi's say not to use hollitic medicines
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
Ok I disagree with the rabbi's on this because Rambam back in his day only used "hollistic medicine". Are these rabbi's being bribed from the pharmacudical companys to say such a thing? "hollistic medicines" are the only real healthy alternatives to perscription meds that cause alot of side effects for one person.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4097891,00.html

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Rabbi's say not to use hollitic medicines
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
Herbal remedies go back to the dawn of humankind. I do think there are certain risks associated with some of them though (if it's strong enough to have an effect, it's strong enough to have side effects, they're not necessarily safer than pharmaceuticals, etc.). However I think if you want to drink peppermint tea or ginger tea for an upset stomach there's nothing wrong with that!

He does have a point in that some of the 'alternative medicine' types are into all that new agey/pagan crap and often peddle stuff that has no basis in reality.

Offline The proud Jew

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:13:42 PM »
Herbal remedies go back to the dawn of humankind. I do think there are certain risks associated with some of them though (if it's strong enough to have an effect, it's strong enough to have side effects, they're not necessarily safer than pharmaceuticals, etc.). However I think if you want to drink peppermint tea or ginger tea for an upset stomach there's nothing wrong with that!

He does have a point in that some of the 'alternative medicine' types are into all that new agey/pagan crap and often peddle stuff that has no basis in reality.

The rabbi's want scholors to approve certain medicines. Some of the alternative medicine is fake but the majority is real.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:26:33 PM »
I'll put down that tea.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:53:23 PM »
The rabbi's want scholors to approve certain medicines. Some of the alternative medicine is fake but the majority is real.

I think the majority is fake but some of it is real, but people have to use their judgment on these things. I have been told by people to drink ginger tea when I'm sick and it will help me and it does seem to help and it's harmless so that's ok.

I think what gets scary is when people forgo normal medicine for 'alternative' treatments when they have a really serious life threatening disease like cancer. Some people get understandably and reasonably scared of treatments like radiation and chemotherapy and they fall prey to the snake oil salesmen who say that they have something more effective (they don't).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »
I think the majority is fake but some of it is real, but people have to use their judgment on these things. I have been told by people to drink ginger tea when I'm sick and it will help me and it does seem to help and it's harmless so that's ok.

I think what gets scary is when people forgo normal medicine for 'alternative' treatments when they have a really serious life threatening disease like cancer. Some people get understandably and reasonably scared of treatments like radiation and chemotherapy and they fall prey to the snake oil salesmen who say that they have something more effective (they don't).

Well Chemo and Radiation cause many people to die of the side-effects of the treatment rather than the cancer itself. My step-father refused to go on Chemo {he has a terminal cancer and was diagnosed to not survive yet he has lived without any problems for over seven years with the cancer}. I do not suggest that anyone go through Chemo or Radiation as all those who I know who did quickly succumbed to their cancer or its treatment.

I am very much against the Pharma industry because I feel they are pushing drugs on people. When I had pain due to my Vascular Insufficiency condition they pumped me up on Oxycontins and Norcos.... And they would give me refills upon refills and even wanted me to continue taking them even when I didn't have pain anymore. It ended up my roommate at the time was taking them behind my back and they got addicted to them. I am so glad I don't have any of those Pharma pain killers in my house any more. I do know if I wanted them I can easily get them though... Heck, the pain doctor had full-glossy advertisements for all kinds of candy-like medicines... You know that the doctors get kick-backs from the drug companies for getting patients hooked..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:43:21 PM »
I am very much against the Pharma industry because I feel they are pushing drugs on people. When I had pain due to my Vascular Insufficiency condition they pumped me up on Oxycontins and Norcos.... And they would give me refills upon refills and even wanted me to continue taking them even when I didn't have pain anymore. It ended up my roommate at the time was taking them behind my back and they got addicted to them. I am so glad I don't have any of those Pharma pain killers in my house any more. I do know if I wanted them I can easily get them though... Heck, the pain doctor had full-glossy advertisements for all kinds of candy-like medicines... You know that the doctors get kick-backs from the drug companies for getting patients hooked..

I think better treatments need to be there but since there aren't really any available I think people should at least try to fight their cancer with the best known methods because some people are cured by them. I agree with you though that sometimes the treatment is also deadly and can be really horrible to go through too.

I also don't trust the pharmaceutical companies either. Just like with anything you have to use your best judgment on what to take and what not to take.

Offline lines

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 11:04:12 PM »
So many Americans are on all sorts of pills its disgusting.

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 11:13:27 PM »
Stop listening to rabbis and start listening to scientists and doctors.

Offline The proud Jew

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 11:23:20 PM »

Saying not to listen to rabbis makes you sound like a troll. Im infering you have the mentality that the torah is primitive and doctors and scientists have the answers.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 12:03:53 AM »

Stupid advice...

Stop listening to wisdom and start listening to foolishness...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14