Author Topic: any jtf dentist experts here, i need advice  (Read 4176 times)

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: any jtf dentist experts here, i need advice
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 11:26:29 PM »
Yeh grinding didn't make it any better especially if teeth are wearing out.

I'm a hardcore grinder. I have broken night guards.  I've had composite placed on my teeth more times than I'd like to count.  I dont know what to do about it. I didnt know until recently that I clench during the day and that this counts as grinding

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 11:57:48 PM »
, Very sorry to hear about your plight! The medication that caused my teeth to fall out was SINGULAIR 10mg. Ive been a chronic asthmatic since a .Child .  I use 3 inhalers  & only have 70% breathing capacity as my lungs are scared due to having Pneumonia 1r0 times & scores of chest infections ! Iam not an invalid & can still walk long distances in an emergency with my Ventolin inhaler, should read 10 times keyboard knackered, Whats Z pack ?  You must have a severe allegy problem , have you tried Claritsyn ?  I once visited S/CAL in1980 for 6 weeks we stayed at my uncles home and my asthma & eczema  disappeared !  {RUBYSTARS}

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 06:16:08 AM »
I'm a hardcore grinder. I have broken night guards.  I've had composite placed on my teeth more times than I'd like to count.  I dont know what to do about it. I didnt know until recently that I clench during the day and that this counts as grinding

I wouldn't mind trying a Hawley bite plate on you.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 06:17:26 AM »
She grew up in China. No such thing as dental care.

Her roots got rotted and had to be cut up because the anti biotics didn't do any good.

Wearing those dentures?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »
RUBYSTAR, I was on 10mg of  steroids same as yours in the late 1960s & early 1970s , but managed to get off them because of side effects!   :o

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »
Its awful that you get this every spring. Z-paks are helpful.  The thing is that if you use it every year, there is a chance that you will become resistant.  Are you sure you dont have severe allergies?

I didn't know that could happen if I only took it once a year. Is that common?

I usually only get sick once in the Spring time and end up with bronchitis. This year I got it really bad, last year I was lucky and didn't get sick at all.

I have allergies to pollen and dust and it starts out that way with just being allergies but it doesn't take very long to get an actual infection for some reason once I'm stuffed up and turn into bronchitis. I assume that it must be bacterial the majority of the time because I immediately start feeling better as soon as I can get the Z pack usually and deteriorate until I can get it. This year it was worse than usual and I ended up having to go on a second round of a stronger one, but that cleared it up quickly. Most years Z pack works fine, every once in a while it has to be followed up with something else.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
I didn't know that could happen if I only took it once a year. Is that common?

I usually only get sick once in the Spring time and end up with bronchitis. This year I got it really bad, last year I was lucky and didn't get sick at all.

I have allergies to pollen and dust and it starts out that way with just being allergies but it doesn't take very long to get an actual infection for some reason once I'm stuffed up and turn into bronchitis. I assume that it must be bacterial the majority of the time because I immediately start feeling better as soon as I can get the Z pack usually and deteriorate until I can get it. This year it was worse than usual and I ended up having to go on a second round of a stronger one, but that cleared it up quickly. Most years Z pack works fine, every once in a while it has to be followed up with something else.

Rubystars,

Sorry just got home from work and saw this.  You are right once a year is not much.  The fact that you need some stronger may mean you have some resistance or it may mean that the course and strength that you were previously on did not provide long enough or strong enough penetration.  I would strongly suggest (unless you have some contraindication to doing so) using a saline nasal spray regularly or a netty pot to thoroughly irrigate  and wash out any immune stimulating detritus or pollen.  I would do this regularly as long as your MD oks this.  The only risks I can think of off the top of my head would be for someone with a perforated nasal septum perhaps or for someone with hypertension where we really want to minimize exogenous salt consumption

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 06:48:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply :)

My blood pressure was borderline last time I had it checked but that was a few months ago now and I've lost a lot of weight since then so not sure what it is now. Thankfully I don't really get exposed to pollen as much as I used to due to being on an overnight shift but there is a lot of dust that can sometimes be kind of bad though.

I was lucky last year and didn't get sick at all, probably because I was overnight. This last Spring I think I got sick because other people around me were sick and I probably touched something they touched. I try to wash my hands a lot but sometimes it just happens.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply :)

My blood pressure was borderline last time I had it checked but that was a few months ago now and I've lost a lot of weight since then so not sure what it is now. Thankfully I don't really get exposed to pollen as much as I used to due to being on an overnight shift but there is a lot of dust that can sometimes be kind of bad though.

I was lucky last year and didn't get sick at all, probably because I was overnight. This last Spring I think I got sick because other people around me were sick and I probably touched something they touched. I try to wash my hands a lot but sometimes it just happens.

It's very easy to get sick when we touch things with germs (everything) and then touch our faces, rub our eyes and introduce say, germs on doorknobs to our mucous membranes.  When I was on the wards, I would wash my hands 5,6,8,10 times a day, whenever I saw a pt and always afterwards.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 10:14:37 PM »
It's very easy to get sick when we touch things with germs (everything) and then touch our faces, rub our eyes and introduce say, germs on doorknobs to our mucous membranes.  When I was on the wards, I would wash my hands 5,6,8,10 times a day, whenever I saw a pt and always afterwards.

I think I wiped my face because I sweat sometimes at night when I'm working hard (it's a physical type of job). I'm washing my hands almost as much as that too though, and more if there are sick people around me.

I wish more health care workers were like you, it's better for you and for the patients.

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 03:09:56 AM »
Has anyone here tried LASER dentistry, now being pioneered in the states?
Waterlase uses a water spray with laser beam embedded to reduce uncomfortable heat sensations.
Laser drills have two settings which change automatically as they deal with either tissue or bone.

The advantages of lasers over regular drills are lack of noise
and lack of the terrible vibrations that cause pain and possibly microfractures.

In most cases, Most laser dentistry can be done without the use of an anesthetic.
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 04:49:39 AM »
The miracle of modern science!  Sometime back in the 1950s i saw my grandfather pull a loose tooth out with his fingers & then had a large vodka , put his coat on grabbed his bag and rushed off to work! [Hoffman Cap presser]More of mine fillings fellout this morning i wonder if ive got bone cancer! :::D I must make an appointment the see the SHABAK as they experts at pulling teeth out! :::D

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 07:13:17 AM »
Has anyone here tried LASER dentistry, now being pioneered in the states?
Waterlase uses a water spray with laser beam embedded to reduce uncomfortable heat sensations.
Laser drills have two settings which change automatically as they deal with either tissue or bone.

The advantages of lasers over regular drills are lack of noise
and lack of the terrible vibrations that cause pain and possibly microfractures.

In most cases, Most laser dentistry can be done without the use of an anesthetic.

I purchased a periolase for January. Every laser has a different purpose and bit will do the same thing. Not all lasers can do the same thing as drills.  The watetlase specifically is very slow but good when dealing with tiny cavities.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
, Very sorry to hear about your plight! The medication that caused my teeth to fall out was SINGULAIR 10mg. Ive been a chronic asthmatic since a .Child .  I use 3 inhalers  & only have 70% breathing capacity as my lungs are scared due to having Pneumonia 1r0 times & scores of chest infections ! Iam not an invalid & can still walk long distances in an emergency with my Ventolin inhaler, should read 10 times keyboard knackered, Whats Z pack ?  You must have a severe allegy problem , have you tried Claritsyn ?  I once visited S/CAL in1980 for 6 weeks we stayed at my uncles home and my asthma & eczema  disappeared !  {RUBYSTARS}

Thanks for letting me know what the medicine is!

Z pack is just some antibiotics, you take two pills the first day then one pill every day after that until they're gone. It usually works really well to knock out any sickness I have so I don't have to miss any days of work.

I take Claritin sometimes but I can't take it much. It makes my pulse faster and makes me sweat too much if I take it two days in a row and if I take a Claritin I can't take coffee too. I usually can take a Claritin one day and then skip a day and then take it the next day, etc. It has some kind of stimulant in it I think.

I hope you can move somewhere one day where your asthma will be better like the place you mentioned.

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2011, 11:36:54 PM »
RUBYSTARS, sorry to hear about your health problems, a change of climate may do you good, do you live near the sea!   Iam ok left Northern England 42 years ago to live by the sea or i would have been a gonna years ago! :'(

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2011, 11:50:50 PM »
RUBYSTARS, sorry to hear about your health problems, a change of climate may do you good, do you live near the sea!   Iam ok left Northern England 42 years ago to live by the sea or i would have been a gonna years ago! :'(

I live in Houston, it's really humid and hot here most of the time. I like the smell of the ocean when I go to Galveston but I don't go there very often.

I don't really have any health problems except for seasonal allergies which can turn into bronchitis most years thank God.

I do like the ocean (last time I went I collected a lot of shells and some pretty sea glass, but it was winter last year, didn't get to swim).

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 11:58:31 PM »
The sea has great healing powers, where i live is the driest place in the UK , much less pollen here !

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »
Hey Dan so far so good.

M teeth havnt darkened yet. Still got my splints on.

My question is, how long does it take for a nerve to recover. The dentist is going to do the infamous hot cold test. But its only been 1 month since the trauma. How can they be sure the nerve is dying and whos not to say its damaged but its repairing/recovering?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »
Hey Dan so far so good.

M teeth havnt darkened yet. Still got my splints on.

My question is, how long does it take for a nerve to recover. The dentist is going to do the infamous hot cold test. But its only been 1 month since the trauma. How can they be sure the nerve is dying and whos not to say its damaged but its repairing/recovering?

Good question.  You know the nerve is ok when you get the same response of hot and cold from the injured teeth compared to a non injured one.  Usually a normal response with a healthy nerve is pain when touched and pain stops immediately to a few seonds when withdrawing cold or hot.  Even more prolonged pain means extra sensitive and maybe the nerve is getting repaired or it is dying.  If you feel nothing, it could mean the nerve is dead.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 08:12:28 AM »
Good question.  You know the nerve is ok when you get the same response of hot and cold from the injured teeth compared to a non injured one.  Usually a normal response with a healthy nerve is pain when touched and pain stops immediately to a few seonds when withdrawing cold or hot.  Even more prolonged pain means extra sensitive and maybe the nerve is getting repaired or it is dying.  If you feel nothing, it could mean the nerve is dead.

cheerd mate.

Also i have these teeth splints, wich i feel are making my lips protrude/look swollen. Is this often the case, the splints are not hurting, its just they feel like ive got a gum shield in my mouth. I mainly hit my area below the nose(aove the lip) so it could be parlty due to that as well.

They said i fractued a bone in that area, evidently its a thin bone, do you know what that is called?And will that hel back to normal over time?

Again really appreciate your time.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2011, 08:21:33 AM »
cheerd mate.

Also i have these teeth splints, wich i feel are making my lips protrude/look swollen. Is this often the case, the splints are not hurting, its just they feel like ive got a gum shield in my mouth. I mainly hit my area below the nose(aove the lip) so it could be parlty due to that as well.

They said i fractued a bone in that area, evidently its a thin bone, do you know what that is called?And will that hel back to normal over time?

Again really appreciate your time.

The splint is normal.  The bone that fractured is called alveolar bone.  if there is anything bad they toy would have chosen to happen it is this because bone heals.  Teeth fractures do not heal.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
The splint is normal.  The bone that fractured is called alveolar bone.  if there is anything bad they toy would have chosen to happen it is this because bone heals.  Teeth fractures do not heal.

Also my nose has been tender all over since the trauma, almost like it effected my sinuses. Its slowly getting better. Is this normal when sme had tramua to the alvelor area hat they can get tender feeling in their nose.

I didnt think the trauma had actually hit my nose.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Also my nose has been tender all over since the trauma, almost like it effected my sinuses. Its slowly getting better. Is this normal when sme had tramua to the alvelor area hat they can get tender feeling in their nose.

I didnt think the trauma had actually hit my nose.

Yes