Author Topic: Matisyahu Fiasco  (Read 10360 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Matisyahu Fiasco
« on: December 15, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »
Anybody going to comment? LOL :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Matisyahu Fiasco
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 05:27:31 PM »
I'm glad he's out. It was embarrassing to see a "chasid" do reggae hip hop crap.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 05:47:45 PM »
As far as I know he's still a religious Jew.  He just decided to shave his beard (it's allowed).  And perhaps he is not chassidic anymore I'm not sure ( also allowed).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »
As far as I know he's still a religious Jew.  He just decided to shave his beard (it's allowed).  And perhaps he is not chassidic anymore I'm not sure ( also allowed).

This is what I heard. I will wait and see what he does with his life... I am not going to be judgemental on him just because he shaved. I have had three beards and when I was his age I shaved {for a job}...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 06:33:23 PM »
Can somebody fill me in? I hear he shaved but did something else happen? Is it considered a sin for Jews not to have a beard? Chaim never has one and he doesn't have sideburns either.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 07:06:40 PM »
Can somebody fill me in? I hear he shaved but did something else happen? Is it considered a sin for Jews not to have a beard? Chaim never has one and he doesn't have sideburns either.

No it is not a sin... But shaving with a razor is prohibited..

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/494236/jewish/Why-dont-chassidic-men-shave.htm

Why don't chassidic men shave their beards?

By Menachem Posner

The Torah1 forbids the "destruction" of specific parts of the beard. The Talmud2 interprets destruction as shaving with a razor.3 This prohibition also includes shaving with any implement which completely removes all the facial hair, but does not include trimming, or shaving with a scissors or other tool which does not provide the smooth shave provided by a razor.4

There are Halachic authorities (including the Tzemach Tzedek, third Chabad Rebbe) who opine that cutting any part of the beard, even without a razor-like implement, falls under the prohibition of cross-dressing.5 This opinion is especially followed by Chabad chassidim.

Maimonides teaches that the reason the Torah forbade the destruction of the beard is because shaving was a practice of ancient idol worshippers.

In addition, Kabbalah attaches great importance to the beard, teaching that the "thirteen locks" of the beard are representative of G‑d's thirteen supernal Attributes of Mercy. Growing a beard makes one a beneficiary of the bounty which originates from G‑d's compassion.

Traditionally, Jews throughout the ages wore beards in order to not even come close to destroying the forbidden parts of their beards. This was also true in Eastern Europe, where the vast majority of Jews grew full beards until the mid nineteenth century.

As the winds of "enlightenment" spread to Eastern Europe, many people felt that wearing a beard labeled them as backwards and old-fashioned. Many Torah leaders, including the Chafetz Chaim, protested this change. Chassidim were in general less swayed by the modernization taking place around them, as is evident in their dress. Therefore, they - for the most part - did not feel compelled to shave their beards. In addition, the Kabbalistic reason mentioned above made the practice of growing a beard much more precious to them.

See also: The Beard

I hope that I've been helpful today.

Yours truly,

Rabbi Menachem Posner
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 07:09:03 PM »

In the early JDL days Rabbi Kahane was clean shaven.  Generally married men ate supposed to have beards.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
Is it considered a sin for Jews not to have a beard?

No.  Like I said,  it's allowed.   Some people are upset that he shaved though and so people are speculating.  Or maybe they are upset that he dropped a certain form of hasidism and adopted another (and now may have subsequently changed again possibly to nonchassidic).  People really don't have a right to assume bad things on him though.   The speculation came about because he tweeted a grimly lighted photograph of himself beardless out of nowhere, which shocked people.  But in his next tweet he said how he went to shul to daven and go to the mikveh that morning.   So it is even more egregious of a sin for people to suggest he is breaking the Torah because speculation like that itself is wrong, but here it's quite obviously not true!   Anyway, I really like some of his music, especially king without a crown and a few others I can't think of right now.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 09:02:53 PM »
No.  Like I said,  it's allowed.   Some people are upset that he shaved though and so people are speculating.  Or maybe they are upset that he dropped a certain form of hasidism and adopted another (and now may have subsequently changed again possibly to nonchassidic).  People really don't have a right to assume bad things on him though.   The speculation came about because he tweeted a grimly lighted photograph of himself beardless out of nowhere, which shocked people.  But in his next tweet he said how he went to shul to daven and go to the mikveh that morning.   So it is even more egregious of a sin for people to suggest he is breaking the Torah because speculation like that itself is wrong, but here it's quite obviously not true!   Anyway, I really like some of his music, especially king without a crown and a few others I can't think of right now.

I agree... I have always said it is up to him to decide what he does with his life. I was a bit shocked by the picture and I at first assumed the worst. But it was said he was still davening and going to the mikveh... I will wait and see what happens...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »
Personally I think that it's a pretty big stretch to assume that he has fallen away from G-d just because he has shaved his beard but I don't understand Jewish culture and how that is generally taken so I had to ask about it. But it does recall one time about a decade ago that a friend/mentor wondered if my dying my hair red and black (because I wanted to look like one of my favorite heavy metal artists) signified me walking away from G-d and becoming secular. To this very day I think that was crazy and rather ignorant.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:38:16 PM »
"On December 13, 2011, Matisyahu posted a beardless picture of himself on Twitter, explaining on his website: "No more Chassidic reggae superstar. Sorry folks, all you get is me…no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process.  It was my choice.  My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life.  At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity…to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth.  I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules—lots of them—or else I would somehow fall apart.  I am reclaiming myself.  Trusting my goodness and my divine mission. Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth.  And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair." Straight from Wikipedia.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »
Did not know that. That could mean he has "fallen away" so to speak or merely that his theology and personal relationship with G-d is evolving and becoming more refined. I don't know the man. Thanks for filling me in though; I wonder why nobody had actually posted that before.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 10:14:48 PM »
Did not know that. That could mean he has "fallen away" so to speak or merely that his theology and personal relationship with G-d is evolving and becoming more refined. I don't know the man. Thanks for filling me in though; I wonder why nobody had actually posted that before.

I knew about it yesterday thanks to Ron sending me a PM.... But I did not want to speak Lashon Hara so I left it alone...

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »
In the early JDL days Rabbi Kahane was clean shaven.  Generally married men ate supposed to have beards.

(Darn had a long good response that was great but clicked off).

Summary:
 Married men don't have to have a beard.
 Their are great Rabbis even who do not have beard, as well as great fools that do.
 Many people are unfortunately shallow and judge on the outside.
  They go to "Mekubalim" just because they have long beards and roll their eyes and do other silly things.
  Their are great Rabbis who shave (and that includes the past as well) and the present, and I know of an example of top Rabbi who shaves and has many other Rabbis in his left pocket soo to speak. If you see him on the street you would think of him to be some average Shimon (Average Jewish Joe).
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 10:55:42 PM »
The woman I share an office with at work, who is an Orthodox Rebbetzin said that religious Jews can only be clean shaven by using an electric razor because it doesn't cut the skin.  However, she did say that the men have somehow adjust the blades a certain way.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 11:52:06 PM »
As I posted above there is a Torah commandment against using a razor to shave the beard. This is the root of all prohibitions on shaving. As I posted above it is OK to cut the beard using a scissors or other means.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/940320/jewish/Negative-Commandment-44.htm

Shaving
Negative Commandment 44

The 44th prohibition is that we are forbidden from shaving the beard, which has five sections: the upper right jaw, the upper left jaw, the lower right jaw, the lower left jaw, and the chin.

This prohibition is contained in the following expression,1 "Do not destroy the corner of your beard," because all [the parts] are included in the term, "beard." Scripture does not write, "Do not destroy your beard," but, "Do not destroy the corner of your beard," meaning that one may not destroy even one corner from the entire beard.

The Oral Tradition explains that there are five corners, as we have categorized, and that one is punished by five sets of lashes if he shaves them all, even if he shaved them all at once. In the words of the Mishneh,2 "For [shaving] the beard [one receives] five [sets of lashes]: two for one side, two for the other side, and one for the bottom. Rabbi Eliezer says, 'If they were all shaved at once, one receives only one [set of lashes].'" The Talmud3 says, "We see that Rabbi Eliezer holds that it is all one prohibition." This is a clear proof that the first opinion holds that they constitute five separate prohibitions, and that is the law.

This [shaving of the beard] was also4 the practice of the idolatrous priests, as is well known today that among the adornments of the European ascetics5 is that they shave their beards.

It does not count as five separate commandments, since the prohibition is expressed in the singular ["beard"] and there is only one type of action, as we explained in the previous commandment.

The details of this mitzvah have been explained in the end of Makkos. This prohibition is also not binding upon women.

FOOTNOTES

1.   Lev.19:27.

2.   Makkos 3:5.

3.   Ibid. 21a.

4.   As was the case with the previous prohibitions.

5.   The Rambam L'am edition translates, "European priests. Ibn Tibbon translates, "idolatrous priests." This seems to be the source of the vernacular reference, "galach," for a priest.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 11:55:21 PM »
(Darn had a long good response that was great but clicked off).

Summary:
 Married men don't have to have a beard.
 Their are great Rabbis even who do not have beard, as well as great fools that do.
 Many people are unfortunately shallow and judge on the outside.
  They go to "Mekubalim" just because they have long beards and roll their eyes and do other silly things.
  Their are great Rabbis who shave (and that includes the past as well) and the present, and I know of an example of top Rabbi who shaves and has many other Rabbis in his left pocket soo to speak. If you see him on the street you would think of him to be some average Shimon (Average Jewish Joe).

How do you deal with Negative Commandment 44 according to Rambams list of Mitzvot? Also where does it say that only married men are commanded not to cut the corners of the beard?

See http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/p0002.htm for list of Negative Commandments...

43  Not to shave the corners of the head like idolatrous priests, as it is written "ye shall not round the corners of your heads" (Leviticus 19,27).

44  Not to remove the whole beard like the idolaters, as it is written "neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard" (Leviticus 19,27).

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 11:56:47 PM »
Why can't men trim eyebrows? I get that plucking is wrong, but there are other means.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 12:00:53 AM »
Why can't men trim eyebrows? I get that plucking is wrong, but there are other means.

I don't know but my first guess is because it is something which women regularly do and men are forbidden from trying to look like women..

But wait... I found a link which says it is ok...

http://www.torah.org/advanced/weekly-halacha/5761/pinchas.html

CUTTING HAIR - WHEN IS IT PERMITTED? WHEN IS IT PROHIBITED?

It is permitted to trim a mustache that interferes with eating(2).
It is permitted to pluck one's eyebrows or eyelashes(3).
Married women may cut hair that is protruding from their head covering(4).
It is permitted to comb one's hair even though some hair will get torn out while combing(5).
Nail cutting is permitted(6).
It is permitted to shave if one's employer insists upon it(7). But if one's job is not at stake, though he may be ridiculed, it is forbidden to shave(8).
A mourner who completed his mourning period during the Three Weeks, may take a haircut and a shave(9).
The prohibition of hair-cutting applies even to small children under the age of chinuch(10). Thus if an upsheren falls during the Three Weeks, it should either be moved up or postponed(11).
If absolutely necessary, some poskim permit taking a haircut or a shave on the evening and night of the 17th of Tammuz(12).
There are poskim who support the custom of those who shave on erev Shabbos(13), but this is not the custom today in most communities(14).
On the day of a baby's bris(15), the father, the sandek and the mohel may take a haircut (16).

FOOTNOTES:

1 Ta'anis 31b, quoted in Shulchan Aruch O.C. 554:25.

2 O.C. 551:13.

3 Bein Pesach l'Shavuos, pg. 241, quoting an oral ruling from Harav S.Z. Auerbach and Harav S. Wosner.

4 Mishnah Berurah 551:79. When necessary, women may shave their legs; Harav M. Feinstein (Ohalei Yeshurun, pg. 9). See also Igros Moshe Y.D. 2:137 where he allows women to take haircuts when necessary during the Three Weeks. When necessary, a girl of marriageable age may take a haircut; Harav S.Z. Auerbach (Halichos Beisah, pg. 371).

5 Mishnah Berurah 551:20.

6Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 122:5.

7 Igros Moshe O.C. 4:102; She'arim Metzuyanim b'Halachah 122:5.

8 Igros Moshe C.M. 1:93.

9 Mishnah Berurah 551:87.

10 Sha'ar ha-Tziyun 551:91. Aruch ha-Shulchan 551:31, however, seems to hold that only children above the age of chinuch are prohibited to take a haircut. See also Igros Moshe Y.D. 1:224 who agrees with this opinion.

11 Mishnas Ya'akov O.C. 551 quoting Harav Y.Y. Teitelbaum (Satmar Rav).

12 Igros Moshe O.C. 4:112-2; She'arim Metzuyanim b'Halachah 122:1; Sharaga ha-Meir 2:13. Others do not agree with this leniency.

13 Kaf ha-Chayim 551:66. See also Beiur Halachah 551:3, quoting R' Akiva Eiger.

14 Shemiras Shabbos K'hilchasah 42:52.

15 Or the evening before, Mishnah Berurah 493:13. If the bris is on Shabbos, it is permitted to take a haircut on Friday, ibid. If the bris is on Sunday, most poskim do not permit taking a haircut on Friday; see Kaf ha-Chayim 493:36.

And also:

http://revach.net/ask/archives.php?cid=4&subcat=lo+silbash

Halacha - cutting mens eyebrows..
Submitted by anonymous  Answered by Rav Peretz Moncharsh
Question: Is it permitted to cut mens eyebrows if not plucking out hairs (no tweezer is involved) ?
Answer: It is permitted for a man to trim his eyebrows with a scissors.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:06:12 AM by muman613 »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 12:32:49 AM »
The woman I share an office with at work, who is an Orthodox Rebbetzin said that religious Jews can only be clean shaven by using an electric razor because it doesn't cut the skin.  However, she did say that the men have somehow adjust the blades a certain way.

Yes, many use an electric razor.   The beard doesn't make the man.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:10 AM »
"On December 13, 2011, Matisyahu posted a beardless picture of himself on Twitter, explaining on his website: "No more Chassidic reggae superstar. Sorry folks, all you get is me…no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process.  It was my choice.  My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life.  At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity…to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth.  I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules—lots of them—or else I would somehow fall apart.  I am reclaiming myself.  Trusting my goodness and my divine mission. Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth.  And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair." Straight from Wikipedia.

How about quoting his next tweet which said he's going to mikveh and going to shul to daven.    He is evolving in his teshuva process, it happens to many people.  People should not disparage him.   There is nothing that says you have to be chassidic.   If he follows halacha and remains a believing Jew we are blessed to have him spreading a positive message.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 12:39:16 AM »
Yes, many use an electric razor.   The beard doesn't make the man.

What I do not understand is how people can ignore the negative commandments. It clearly says that we should not cut the corners of the beard. And it says that idolatrous priests would shave and we should not do like they do. Do you know of a Rabbi who explains this? I do listen to Rabbis who do not have beards and I agree that the beard is external and does not automatically mean that the person is righteous.... But when I read commandments which I can fulfill without any worry, I follow the commandment, why should I not.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 12:44:58 AM »
One of the good Rabbis I like who does not wear a beard is Rabbi Yosef Mizrachi. It is so interesting that every Rabbi who I grow to like ends up with a radio show on Israel National Radio. First it was Rabbi Brody who I listened to for years from Breslev.org who got a show on A7... Then it was Rabbi Shafier who got a show on A7.... And most recently Rabbi Mizrachi got a show on A7...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Radio/Author.aspx/6260

Rabbi Yosef Mizrachi was born in 1968. He was raised in Israel and in 1986 at the age of 18, he was drafted into the Israeli Military (IDF) where he served in the Israeli Air Force. After his release from the military, he left for New York City where he was involved in the Financial banking District. In 1994, Rabbi Mizrachi decided to dedicate his life to the awareness of Judaism among secular Jews. It was in that year that he began coordinating lectures & seminars among Israelis in the New York – New Jersey area. In 1997 he left the financial district and began full time learning and teaching in a Yeshiva in Monsey, New York. In 2002, Rabbi Mizrachi, along with Yuval Ovadia, a former HBO director, produced an impressive film called ‘Divine Information’. This successful video was duplicated and distributed to more than 200,000 people. During the day, for years Rabbi Mizrachi was teaching Gemara in Yeshivat Ohr Yisrael in Monsey but today due to the increasing kiruv work that he is involved with, he dedicates all his time to the public. As of 2011, Rabbi Mizrachi has spoken in over 4000 lectures worldwide as well as participated in many weekend seminars, radio shows and other Hebrew and English events in which he enriches the knowledge and awareness of Judaism among thousands of Jews who are lacking in Jewish awareness.   In 2004 he started his website, http://Divineinformation.com/  that has over 700 lectures of videos and audio with viewers from more than 50 countries around the world.   He joins the Arutz 7, Israel National Radio Team with his new show, "Tshuva" (Return!) which airs every Monday 7 p.m. Israel / 12 p.m. US eastern time.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 01:09:12 AM »
What I do not understand is how people can ignore the negative commandments. It clearly says that we should not cut the corners of the beard. And it says that idolatrous priests would shave and we should not do like they do. Do you know of a Rabbi who explains this? I do listen to Rabbis who do not have beards and I agree that the beard is external and does not automatically mean that the person is righteous.... But when I read commandments which I can fulfill without any worry, I follow the commandment, why should I not.

No one (who shaves) is ignoring a negative commandment!   Read the language carefully.  The verb used is not merely "shave"  - it's a strong connotation which the rabbis interpret as use of straight razor which cuts all the way down deep.   electrics don't go that deep.   It's much more complicated halachically but that's basically one way of boiling it all down.    Rabbi Bar Hayim actually does not permit shaving with any kind of razor.  Rav Moshe Feinstein explained a way to permit the electric razor, but Rabbi Bar Hayim apparently does not accept his explanation of how that fits with the halacha.   I know another rabbi who has a different way of permitting an electric razor that he feels is halachically sound but actually is a different opinion than Rav Moshe's and gives a different reasoning.     I haven't studied this issue in depth and therefore cannot explain what the intricate details of any of the positions are.   For me, the jury's still out on this issue, until I actually learn it in detail.  But suffice to say that NO ONE IS JUST IGNORING NEGATIVE COMMANDMENTS!   That is clearly not allowed by halacha according to any opinion.

You are mistaken if you are assuming that people who shave are not following the commandment and people who don't shave, follow it.   Like every commandment it has details which explain how it works and what the parameters are.   The Oral Torah gives us these parameters and the poskim use these definitions to explain different cases.   It's like you are telling me "The Torah says pick a beautiful fruit, so I grabbed a nice looking orange, I'm following the commandment"  - no that is only a certain fruit and we know which fruit from the Oral Torah.   Similarly, shaving is only forbidden when done in a certain manner.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
He is clearly having a faith crisis, if not a complete break to secularism. A frum Jew would know not to even make the appearance of losing his faith.