Author Topic: A Linux YOU can use!  (Read 680 times)

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
A Linux YOU can use!
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »

Finally! A Linux for you guys!
http://www.jewbuntu.com/
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: A Linux YOU can use!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
Nah I think it's lame. Anyway I am thinking of migrating away from kubuntu to a different distro.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »
MINT?
I hate the new ubuntu interface. Looks like a giant cell phone.
Have you tried x86 Android ?

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:36:23 PM »
I am still very satisfied with Ubuntu 10.04... I have it running and support it with my software for both 32 and 64 bit versions. I have no problem getting versions of libraries I need for Ubuntu 10.04 and I think the interface is very clean and usable.

I have installed 11.10 and I agree that the default interface is not desirable but it is possible {so I hear} to use a normal window manager and gnome desktop on it...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »
I am still very satisfied with Ubuntu 10.04... I have it running and support it with my software for both 32 and 64 bit versions. I have no problem getting versions of libraries I need for Ubuntu 10.04 and I think the interface is very clean and usable.

I have installed 11.10 and I agree that the default interface is not desirable but it is possible {so I hear} to use a normal window manager and gnome desktop on it...
Have you tried jewbuntu?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:16:40 PM »
Have you tried jewbuntu?

No, this is the 1st I have heard of it...

It would be nice if it came with a Hebrew calendar on the tool bar {although I can do that with 3rd party software} and things like automatic Parasha of the week, etc... I have those on my android currently and I get text messages from Chabad on my phone for the Shabbat candle lighting times, etc...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:00:50 AM »
MINT?
I hate the new ubuntu interface. Looks like a giant cell phone.
Have you tried x86 Android ?
I don't like neither gnome nor unity,so I use kde (kubuntu).  But my system has persistant and very annoying bugs which make me ponder migrating to a different distro altogether, preferably a rolling release kind. But there are advantages to Ubuntu so I don't know yet, perhaps I will stay and just make a new clean install.

Ps I have tried android - on a tablet. I don't understand why you ask this in relevance for desktops. And anyway I would always prefer a truelly open and free OS to Android.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »
I don't like neither gnome nor unity,so I use kde (kubuntu).  But my system has persistant and very annoying bugs which make me ponder migrating to a different distro altogether, preferably a rolling release kind. But there are advantages to Ubuntu so I don't know yet, perhaps I will stay and just make a new clean install.

Ps I have tried android - on a tablet. I don't understand why you ask this in relevance for desktops. And anyway I would always prefer a truelly open and free OS to Android.

I have android 1.6 on virtualised on a desktop pc.
But you're right. There's no reason at all for me to have android on a pc except for the sake of having done it.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »

I have android 1.6 on virtualised on a desktop pc.
But you're right. There's no reason at all for me to have android on a pc except for the sake of having done it.

Actually the reason there is an android emulation for PC is to assist software developers in developing for a variety of android platforms. One aspect of the SDK is that the emulator is able to emulate various hardware devices to test for appearance on different screens.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »
Actually the reason there is an android emulation for PC is to assist software developers in developing for a variety of android platforms. One aspect of the SDK is that the emulator is able to emulate various hardware devices to test for appearance on different screens.

Right. I was thinking of x86 android which is actually an OS you can install on asus netbooks or virtualised on your desktop.

BTW what do you use eclipse the Jolly JAVA giant?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
Right. I was thinking of x86 android which is actually an OS you can install on asus netbooks or virtualised on your desktop.

BTW what do you use eclipse the Jolly JAVA giant?

When I work with Android development it is best to use Eclipse IDE. The integration of the SDK into the IDE is AOK...