Author Topic: Partial list of Italian Surnames who descend from Jews  (Read 9520 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Partial list of Italian Surnames who descend from Jews
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:51:54 AM »
http://tracingthetribe.blogspot.com/2008/01/florida-italian-americans-jewish-roots.html   

Anania, Garo, Ventura, Viterbo, Barone, Campagna, Costantino, Amato, Balsamo, Marino, Mazza, Romano, Staiti, Bonfiglio, Bruno, Brigandi, Bonanno, Capua, Carafa, Filomarino, Caracciolo, D'Aquino, Monforte, Mele, Gesualdo, Palermo, Milano, Napoli, Pistoia, Montalto, Amantea, Salerno, Speranza, Spagnolo, Cimino, Cristiano, Buono, Giardino, Perna, Licastro, Renda, De Rose, Pugliese, Siciliano, Jenco, Russo, De Masi, Romano, Brancato, Pane, Margiotta, Panaro, Pisciotta, Mozello, Rotoli, Catalano, De Pasquale, Mondella, Chiarelli, De Mayo, Ferraiolo, Foderaro, Orefice, Ferraro, Pignataro, Speziale, Tranquillo, Leone, Dattilo, Simone, Ricca, Stella, Fiore, Gentile, Gioia, Greco, Luzzatto, Del Vecchio, Del Giudice, De Sarro, Diamante, Vitale, Di Giacomo, Di Giovanni, Di Matteo, D’Alessandro, De Pascali, Di Nola, Di Napoli, Di Lentini, Di Rende. (Compiled by Professor Vincenzo Villella)
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Partial list of Italian Surnames who descend from Jews
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »
I can really see a similarity in the physical appearance between Italians and the Ashkenazi Jews. There must have been a good bit of mixing between them throughout time.   I once read a study that their genetic clustering is closest to the Ashkenazi Jews.  Ashkenazi Jews may be a few shades lighter in skin tone than the Italians living in the center of Italy, but not enough to throw off the similarity.    I'm a few shades lighter than my Italian friends, but lots of people think I'm Italian.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
I can really see a similarity in the physical appearance between Italians and the Ashkenazi Jews. There must have been a good bit of mixing between them throughout time.   I once read a study that their genetic clustering is closest to the Ashkenazi Jews.  Ashkenazi Jews may be a few shades lighter in skin tone than the Italians living in the center of Italy, but not enough to throw off the similarity.    I'm a few shades lighter than my Italian friends, but lots of people think I'm Italian.
Actually Italian Jewry is not ashkenazi but considered on a class of its own. And as far as genetics, they are probably closer to Sefaradim because many Jews fled from Spain to Italy  (including many whom converted by force).

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
Thanx, I could not find the only surname that I was searching for. Now I do not have any fear of the Zionist Conspiracy.
 ;D
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »
Actually Italian Jewry is not ashkenazi but considered on a class of its own. And as far as genetics, they are probably closer to Sefaradim because many Jews fled from Spain to Italy  (including many whom converted by force).
Sorry to pop your bubble, but Italian Jews can absolutely be Ashkenazi.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »
So that's why Ray Romano has such a big nose.   :laugh:

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »
So that's why Ray Romano has such a big nose.   :laugh:
I think the Mediterranean air caused that problem.   It smells so good, we developed large schnozolas to suck in more air.    :laugh:

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 03:19:31 AM »
Sorry to pop your bubble, but Italian Jews can absolutely be Ashkenazi.
They are their own "ada". They have their own type of sidur, and minhagim. So yes they can be ashkenazim if they are not originally Italian Jews or for some reason they choose to be ashkenazi.

Offline Khan Krum

• Pro JTFer
  • Bulgar warrior
    • KrumTheBulgar (YouTube)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »
I wouldn't say that there was mixing. I think they are both in the Meditaranean sub-race of White, which I and most Bulgars (partially) belong to as well. In addition Greeks, Berbers, most Arabic-speaking Christian Semites, Spanish, Portuguese, some Balkan Slavs, some Turks, some Romanians, some Slovenes, and some Ukrainians also belong to this sub-race, and most Maltese do partially.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 05:49:25 AM »
One friend (Italian) told another friend (Jewish) that she is a living copy of her sister.

I wonder, can some of these surnames be both Italian-Italian and Italian-of-Jewish-origin? I am asking because there are quite a few German last names that could be both German and Jewish. My name is one such. It could be both German and Jewish with an equal chance.