Author Topic: What constitutes Jewish food?  (Read 2335 times)

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
What constitutes Jewish food?
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »
Why is it that I can not find in any supermarkets here in Israel frozen knishes or knishes at all?
What makes bourekas,chumus,techina,shwharma,felafel which comes from Arabs any more Jewish than knishes,,gribens,kasha varnishkas,etc. which came from Eastern Europe?
Why can they not cater to Ashkenazi tastes in foods as well here in Israel?
If somebody would open a real old time delicatessen here they would rake in the money not only from American expats like me but also from tourists.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: What constitutes Jewish food?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »
Why is it that I can not find in any supermarkets here in Israel frozen knishes or knishes at all?
What makes bourekas,chumus,techina,shwharma,felafel which comes from Arabs any more Jewish than knishes,,gribens,kasha varnishkas,etc. which came from Eastern Europe?
If somebody would open a real old time delicatessen here they would rake in the money not only from American expats like me but also from tourists.

Wow, I am surprised, there is no Ashkenazi cuisine.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:00:44 PM »
Very disappointing... I cannot believe there is not a good Kosher Deli in Israel...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »
When i was in Israel i found knishes although i really don't like them and i found alot of European Jewish foods
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »

It's called supply and demand. Also it has to do with climate. People don't want to eat that type of food when its hotter (and in Israel it is hotter). Those foods did, will and do do better in colder climates like Eastern Europe, or New York.

And to answer your question- Kosher constitutes Jewish food. Things like knishes, hummas and everything else is just the local food picked up and made by Jews. That is all.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »

It's called supply and demand. Also it has to do with climate. People don't want to eat that type of food when its hotter (and in Israel it is hotter). Those foods did, will and do do better in colder climates like Eastern Europe, or New York.

And to answer your question- Kosher constitutes Jewish food. Things like knishes, hummas and everything else is just the local food picked up and made by Jews. That is all.
What does it have to do with a hotter climate?
This type of food is available in Florida,Arizona,Texas,Nevada,New Mexico & California which are just as hot as here.
And obviously kosher constitutes Jewish food this goes without saying & that wasn't my question.
It is like they have something against Ashekenazi cuisine here & prefer for some reason Arab or or Mirazchi cuisine.
Another peeve of mine is that it is hard to find Nusach Ari siddurim by the kotel they have every other siddur in abundance but finding a Nusach Ari siddur is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:37:59 PM »
http://muqata.blogspot.com/2007/01/there-are-no-knishes-in-israel.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-silver/the-knish-lives-in-israel_b_1456585.html
Bnai Brak & Tel Aviv are about an hour by bus & Meah Shearim is not far but who wants to go there it is a pig sty it makes the filthiest place in NYC look sparkling clean.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 12:32:29 AM »
ChabadKahanist,

Do you know others with the same taste for Ashkenazi food? If so this may be an excellent opportunity to go into the food business. If there is enough demand, and you have the utensils and the ingredients and the know-how (and the Mashgiach) then you have all you need to open a deli.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:42:48 AM »
New Deli is the Israeli version of Subway. There used to be Subway in Israel though.

http://www.gojerusalem.com/discover/item_404/New-Deli-City-Center

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45:02 AM »
ChabadKahanist,

Do you know others with the same taste for Ashkenazi food? If so this may be an excellent opportunity to go into the food business. If there is enough demand, and you have the utensils and the ingredients and the know-how (and the Mashgiach) then you have all you need to open a deli.
Indeed I do know many others & I myself was a Mashgiach for 20 some odd years.
The other day my son in law's friend was talking about just that.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »
Indeed I do know many others & I myself was a Mashgiach for 20 some odd years.
The other day my son in law's friend was talking about just that.

What muman said. I was going to say why are you complaining about no one opening a deli there instead of looking into opening one yourself, if you really think it would be successful.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
Carbohydrates, fat, protein, vitamins, minerals, water.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 10:13:51 AM »
What constitutes "Jewish" food?

The answer is: Anything Kosher.  Since there are Jews from all parts of the world, there is really nothing otherwise unique in my opinion.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 10:51:45 AM »
Here you go, Jewish food

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 11:01:44 AM »
What constitutes "Jewish" food?

The answer is: Anything Kosher.  Since there are Jews from all parts of the world, there is really nothing otherwise unique in my opinion.
Exactly how I feel.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »

You forgot Love, Joy, and Care which all Jewish food includes...

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
The only exclusivly Jewish foods I can think of is Chulant, Osvo and Haltzvo (Bukharian Jewish food on Shabbous).
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 02:35:30 AM »
You forgot Love, Joy, and Care which all Jewish food includes...

That's cool Muman :)