Author Topic: Video Study for Parsha Behaalotecha  (Read 3755 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Video Study for Parsha Behaalotecha
« on: May 24, 2013, 01:03:58 AM »
Shalom Good JTF members,

I hope you all have had a productive and enlightened week. I have been very busy with all kinds of issues which popped up the end of last week (car problems, heavy load at work, etc.) but it is once again time to study some Torah lessons which can be learned from the weekly portion.

This week we are reading Behaalotecha which contains the commandment to Aaron and his descendants to light the menorah in the Holy sanctuary. Also we learn about Pesach Sheni (the second Passover) which Moses asks G-d whether those who were unable to participate in the Yom Tov of Pesach due to ritual impurity (from dead bodies) can do the mitzvahs of Passover on a second day. Hashem grants them this and Pesach Sheni was created... The 'marching orders' for the camps of Israel are given in this portion also,..

But things begin to get rough when the people start to question Moses leadership.. They are tired of the Mannah (food) from heaven and desire meat... So Hashem provides the meat for them... And finally the story of how Miriam, the sister of Moshe, spoke negatively about Moses and suffered the affliction of 'tzaarath' otherwise called 'leprosy' (which has no relation to the leprosy we know today).

Aaron is commanded to raise light in the lamps of the menorah, and the tribe of Levi is initiated into the service in the Sanctuary.

A “Second Passover” is instituted in response to the petition, “Why should we be deprived?” by a group of Jews who were unable to bring the Passover offering in its appointed time because they were ritually impure. G‑d instructs Moses on the procedures for Israel’s journeys and encampments in the desert, and the people journey in formation from Mount Sinai, where they had been camped for nearly a year.

The people are dissatisfied with their “bread from heaven” (the manna), and demand that Moses supply them with meat. Moses appoints 70 elders, to whom he imparts of his spirit, to assist him in the burden of governing the people. Miriam speaks negatively of Moses, and is punished with leprosy; Moses prays for her healing, and the entire community waits seven days for her recovery.

Let us start with the latest from Rabbi Chaim Miller of the Temple Institute:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Video Study for Parsha Behaalotecha
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:28:54 AM »
This Rabbi is pretty funny... I think his lessons may also be interesting to younger viewers, but I think he always gets across a good message.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:38:06 AM »
Rabbi Shlomo Katz gives a short drash on the portion:

And a short one from Rabbi Richman (he has many on this weeks portion). Here is his video from 6 years ago:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:44:36 AM »
Now for some Kabbalah of Rabbi Ginsburg...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 01:59:31 AM »
Rabbi Trugman, a student of Rabbi Ginsburg, also elucidates Chassidic ideas and Kabbalistic insights into our Torah portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:14:16 AM »
I have no idea who this is, but he recites Rabbi Binyamin Kahane's Zt'l Torah...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:31:45 AM »
Once again Rabbi Richman...

:clap:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »
Rabbi Chaim Miller of TorahInTen explores some of the insights of this weeks portion.

Rabbi Finkelstiens latest video on this Parasha:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »
Rabbi Weisblum talks about the portion:

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »
I don't understand... Why did HaShem kill the Israelites that complained, after giving them meat? Also, what's the meaning of the stone with seven eyes?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »
I don't understand... Why did HaShem kill the Israelites that complained, after giving them meat? Also, what's the meaning of the stone with seven eyes?

Shalom Ephraim,

You have asked a very interesting question. I saw your question last night and wanted to spend some time thinking about it before I actually set out to answer the question (to the best of my understanding). I do believe that Rabbi Chaim Richman did touch upon the answer in one of his video talks but it was not explicit to answer your direct question.

So let me say that I believe the answer is that the 'desire for meat' which is what lead to the request to Moshe our teacher for meat was inspired by the Erev Rav, who's true 'DESIRE' was sexual freedom (the ability to marry, have relations with whomever you want to). I believe it is explained that the 'free fish' which the people were talking about in their demand for meat, was actually not only a desire for flesh food. It was also a desire for sensual freedom to have sexual relations with people who the Torah may prohibit.

Such Desire leads to lust... Indeed when Hashem granted them their demand for meat by supplying the quail in such quantity that they could eat so much that it came 'out their noses' shows that they were 'GLUTTONS' who were primarily motivated by hedonistic 'desire' and not desire to draw close to Hashem. It turns out the Manna which they 'despised' was actually a great kindness provided by Hashem, which these RABBLE were rebelling against.

Those who were gluttons were the ones who died from the quail...

I suspect your second question is in relation to the Haftarah which we read on Shabbat. We read Zacharia 2:14-4:7 as the section of the Prophets as the Haftarah (the prophets read weekly with the Torah portion)...

9. For, behold the stone that I have placed before Joshua. Seven eyes are directed to one stone. Behold! I untie its knots, says the Lord of Hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.

Regarding what it means requires a Kabbalistic understanding...

http://download.yutorah.org/2012/1053/Chanuka_To-Go_-_5772_Rabbi_Torczyner.pdf

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »
Wow, I'm an idiot.

Sorry Muman but I am currently blocked from sending personal messages.  (I must have sent too many too quickly).   But I realize now I made a huge error in the last message I sent you!   lol

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »
This DOC file explains some of this @ http://www.parsha.net/bamidbar/Behaaloscha71.doc

How did a nation which had achieved such lofty spiritual status descend so quickly to having such overriding concern for their physical needs? This is especially notable considering that this took place within the year following the Giving of the Torah. Certainly, their original reaction to the Giving of the Torah and the preceding miracles and wonders had been real.

Horav Chaim Kamil, zl, suggests that the answer to this anomaly lies in the pasuk which details Hashem's response to the people's complaining. "Until a month of days, until it will come out of your nose and will become nauseating to you, because you have rejected Hashem Who is in your midst (ibid 11:20)." Rashi explains: "Had I not planted My Shechinah among you, your heart would not have been so high as to entertain all of these matters." Mizrachi explains that it was the fact that Hashem was manifest in their midst which caused them to sin. Implied by this statement is the idea that the Presence of Hashem catalyzed an incredible spiritual leap, but, as with all achievement, responsibility accompanies it. They had achieved greatness; now, they had to guard and maintain this precious gift. They did not, and, as a result, they plummeted to a nadir of physicality and materialism in which food and the self-gratification it represents became the sources of their downfall. Spiritual advantage is a wonderful achievement, but it must be maintained. If it is not guarded like a precious jewel, it can be the cause of one's downfall. It is like playing with fire. This is a very important principle in avodas Hashem, one's service to the Almighty. The more one grows, the more one needs to watch, to guard, to be ever vigilant that he does not squander the spiritual treasures which he has acquired. It is not unlike any other treasure: it must be protected.

Rav Kamil posits that the greatest agent for protection is an unquenchable desire to achieve greater and loftier heights. In other words, more is better. One who "settles" for what he has achieved indicates a lackluster attitude towards his spiritual advantage. He can be certain that this spiritual gift will, regrettably, be short-lived. In the world of commerce there is the old, much maligned clich?, "the rich get richer." This is because their wealth means something to them; thus, they work at acquiring more. If something is important, if it is valuable, we want more of it. Should spirituality be any different?

The rabble that was among them cultivated a craving; and Bnei Yisrael also wept once more, and said, "who will feed us meat?" Assemble for Me seventy men from the elders of Yisrael. (11:4,16)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 04:45:19 PM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/13355#.UaUV7OdDtfQ

Tremors that Cause Earthquakes

This article recounts and interprets a chapter of Israel’s history in the wilderness.
From Rabbi Eliezer Melamed

Renewal after the Sin of Golden Calf

Following the sin of the Golden Calf, as a result of which God said to Moshe: “Now do not try to stop Me when I unleash my wrath against them to destroy them; I will then make you into a great nation” (Exodus 32:10), Moshe stood in prayer until God responded, eradicating the decree of annihilation. In spite of this, Am Yisrael (the Jewish nation), and its connection to God, still required mending.

This process was complex, including severe punishment of the sinners, writing the Tablets anew, the building of the Mishkan (Tabernacle) and the arrangement of the camp of Israel around it. Only afterwards was Am Yisarel worthy to have the Shekhinah (Divine Presence) dwell amongst them.

A new leaf was turned. Israel received marching orders for its journeys through the desert, with God’s cloud designed to show them the way. As an expression of this new beginning, the section of the Torah describing it is demarcated on both sides by an inverted Hebrew letter, Nun, implying the start of a new journey, devoid of the previous, weighty transgressions (Shabbat 116a).

High Hopes

At the time the Shekhinah (Divine Presence) descended upon the Mishkan inside the camp of Israel, no one doubted the realization of the prophecies. The plan was for Israel to enter the Land that same year, with Moshe Rabbeinu leading the conquering of the land, and its division into tribes. This was destined to be the world’s complete redemption, since we have a tradition that our enemies have no power over the handiwork of Moshe (Sotah 9a); had he conquered the Land and built the Holy Temple, no further exile would have transpired, and the Holy Temple would have remained forever.

All at once, the cloud of God began facing the direction of Eretz Yisrael (the Land of Israel), the Kohanim (priests) sounded the trumpets, and the people began marching to the Land, in accordance with their tribal divisions. The people walked quickly for three days, as God desired to bring them to Eretz Yisrael immediately (see, Rashi, Numbers 10:33).

The Complaints and the Death of the Seventy Elders

In spite of this, some of the people began complaining that the trip was too difficult, as it is written: “The people began to complain, and it was evil in God’s ears” (Numbers 11:1). Our Sages said: The Hebrew word for ‘the people’, ha’am, is used only in reference to the wicked (Sifrei).

And when the tzaddikim (the righteous people) failed to rise up and silence them, subsequently: “When God heard it, He displayed His anger, and God’s fire flared out, consuming the edge of the camp.” Our Sages said that the word for ‘edge’ or ‘extreme’ in Hebrew, katzeh, implies both ‘those untouchable because of their baseness’, and also, ‘the most distinguished and prominent among them’ (Sifrei).

The latter were those seventy elders who acted irreverently while the Torah was given on Mount Sinai, continuing to eat and drink even as they observed the Divine revelation. At that moment, they were on the verge of being judged with midat ha’din (the attribute of strict justice), but God did not want to combine grief with the joy of Matan Torah, and postponed their fate. Now, when they stood by silently, failing to condemn the complainers, they were punished (see, Tanchuma 16; Rashi, Numbers 11:16).

This was the first crack in the wall of emunah (faith) built anew at the time of the construction of the Mishkan.

Cracks in the Wall of Faith

Had the distinguished people taken responsibility for their community, condemning the complainers, the crack would have been sealed. However, they remained silent, and consequently, the asafsuf (mixed multitude) among Israel, also began to complain – true, not about the difficulties of the trip to Israel, but rather, about the menu. All of a sudden, the memories of Egypt and the sweetness of the exile flooded back to them – the fish, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic, they ate for free! And so, another split was created.

And when the tzaddikim failed to rebuke the asafsuf, more people joined in the complaining: “And the Israelites once again began to weep; ‘Who’s going to give us some meat to eat…’ – and this, despite God having given Israel the manna, which had an especially fine and delicate taste to it. Thus, an additional split was created.

And yet, the tzaddikim still could have stood up and condemned the ungrateful weepers. But when they failed to halt the spiritual plague, more complaints began to accumulate. “Moshe heard the people weeping with their families near the entrances of their tents”. Our Sages said that their grievances were in regards to the new restrictions on forbidden relations and laws of modesty, that some found difficult to accept (Yoma 75a).

When emunah, faith,  is strong in the heart, people strive to overcome their yetzer (impulse). But when chaos broke out with complaints about the food, the yetzer was aroused, and people began complaining about the severity of the prohibitions, hoping that through public pressure, they would be annulled.

The Danger

At that point in time, no one ever imagined the nation was in jeopardy. Everyone still believed that God would save them, and bring them into the Promised Land, because, after all, the Mishkan was in their midst, and Moshe Rabbeinu was their leader. In spite of everything, the complaints were not aimed directly against the prophecy of redemption, rather, only about personal issues – sort of like employees who wish to improve their work conditions, but on the other hand, don’t want to destroy the factory.

However, in his profound wisdom, Moshe Rabbeinu realized the grave danger in these complaints, which indicated a fracture in emunah. And most seriously, these cracks spread to the tzaddikim – the fact being that not one of them came to his assistance to quell the complaints, to point out all the kindness God had done for Israel, and to condemn the ingratitude.

Moshe realized that in such a situation, despite the Mishkan and the Shekhinah dwelling amongst them, in times of peril, the cracks would widen, the people’s emunah would collapse, and the vision of redemption would be over. Besides, the entire idea of Eretz Yisrael is that the nation does not need to rely on miracles, but assumes full responsibility for tikun olam b’Malchut Sha-dai (to perfect the world in Kingdom of God).

At that moment, Moshe Rabbeinu asked God to remove the burden of the people from his shoulders, because if matters carried on in this fashion, it would be impossible to continue ascending on the path to the Holy Land. God heeded his request, and ordered him to gather seventy men from the elders of Israel, in order to help him carry the burden of the nation. Apparently, it seemed the elders would be able to repair the fractures.

However, Eldad and Medad, who, owing to their great modesty, did not join the elders but remained in the camp, began to prophesize: “Moshe is dead, and Yehoshua will take Israel into the Land” (Sifrei, Rashi, Numbers 11:28).

Eldad and Medad realized the danger, warning that if the situation continues, Moshe Rabbeinu would die. Many people probably chose to ignore their prophecy. How could Moshe – the Man of God – die, and not accomplish the grand vision?! Conceivably, some might have even considered it to be good news – now they would enter the Land, without the strict leadership of Moshe Rabbeinu. This also was the result of the ‘breach in the fence’ caused by the ungrateful complainers and public dissenters.

The seventy elders stood opposite the other two, Eldad and Medad. Would the seventy elders, who were appointed to assist Moshe, be able to stem the tide? Or perhaps the other two were right, and even the selection of seventy elders could not prevent the disaster?

Internal Family Matters

And then, unexpectedly – from within his own family – an accusation arose against Moshe Rabbeinu.

Miriam and Aaron, Moshe’s loving siblings, failed to recognize his magnitude, and the enormity of his mission. They failed to realize that from the onset of Matan Torah, Moshe’s life was dedicated to Torah and Israel, and from then on, he was married, so to speak, to Knesset Yisrael. Therefore, despite the great importance of his wife Tzipporah, he was unable be with her anymore.

This possibly was the most serious fracture of all, because if even Moshe Rabbeinu’s closest relatives failed to understand the extent of his mission, how could one expect that, in the event of a horrific and awesome ordeal, the seventy elders would be able to execute their duties, and the public at large would remain steadfast in their faith?

The Difficult Test

These fractures trigger complications and ordeals. Individuals from the community arose, demanding spies be sent to search out the Land. The seventy elders failed to confront them with a firm declaration to believe in God and His servant Moshe, but instead, remained silent. Seeing this, Moshe Rabbeinu granted the people’s request, and sent distinguished and righteous men to search out the Land.

However, given that the spies did not depart on their journey with complete faith, upon seeing all the powerful people residing serenely in the land, they began to fear, and even doubted whether Israel had the moral right to conquer and dispossess these seven nations from their land (see, Baba Batra 15a). And thus, they returned to the people of Israel, and said: We are unable to defeat the people living in the land, because they are stronger than us (in Hebrew, the word for us can also be understood as Him, or God). This is when Israel began to have doubts in their hearts, that perhaps they were also morally unfit to conquer and liberate the land from foreign nations.

At that point in time, the nation was in need all of its resources. The question was no longer confined to narrow complaints about the hardships of the journey, the food, or the prohibitions of personal relationships that were difficult to keep.

The question that stood before them now was penetrating and clear: Would they have faith in God, who took them out of the bondage of Egypt, gave them the Torah, and assigned them the supreme moral role of revealing the Shekhinah, and perfecting the world in the Kingdom of God, or turn their backs on the historic mission?

The fractures created by the small complaints of the mitlonenim (the complainers) and all the others who heard and remained silent, failing to protest because, to a certain extent, they themselves identified with the complaints – those fractures began to widen.

In spite of everything, some tried to regain their strength by listening to Yehoshua and Calev, to see if there was still hope. They realized that if they turned their backs on the Divine order this time, they would pay with their lives. But they failed. Seeing that even the leaders failed to heed the call of Yehoshua and Calev, they came to the conclusion that apparently, they really weren’t up to the task.

The collapse was total. They failed to believe in God, who had promised to stand by their side. The fear of the seven powerful nations immobilized them, bar none. “And the entire congregation lifted up their voice, and cried. That night, the people wept. And all the children of Israel murmured against Moshe and Aaron. The entire community said to them: We wish we had died in Egypt! We should have died in this desert!”

The Punishment and the Tikun

And so it was. Everyone died in the desert – together with Moshe Rabbeinu, the faithful shepherd, may he rest in peace. Only forty years later, Yehoshua bin Nun, Moshe Rabbeinu’s faithful disciple, brought the sons into the Land of Israel. However, “the countenance of Moshe was like that of the sun; the countenance of Yehoshua was like that of the moon” [Yehoshua’s glory was inferior to that of Moshe] (Baba Batra 75a).

Consequently, the entry into the Land was weak, and many years passed before we were able to build the Holy Temple in Jerusalem – and even that, slipped from our hands. ‘We were exiled from our land, and driven far away from our soil’.

Our Sages said: The night on which the people accepted the accusation of the Meraglim (Spies) and cried, was Tisha B’Av (the ninth day of the Hebrew month of Av). “The Holy One, blessed be He, said to them: You have wept without cause, therefore I will set [this day] aside for a weeping throughout the generations to come” (Ta’anit 29a).

Today, when we are in the midst of an amazing return to Zion, as prophesized by the Prophets of Israel, we must strengthen ourselves, both morally and in our deeds, to stand against all accusations and complaints – both internal and external – and face the challenge of tikun Cheit ha’Meraglim (rectifying the Sin of the Spies), and tikun olam (perfection of the world).

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
^ That's interesting...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
Just for reference I will reproduce a paragraph from Talmud Tractate Yoma 57b which explains how the desire for 'free fish' was actually a desire for forbidden relations:

http://halakhah.com/pdf/moed/Yoma.pdf
We remember the fish which we were wont to eat in Egypt for nought.10 Rab and Samuel [were disputing its meaning], one said: [Fish here means] real fish; the other said: Illicit intercourse.11 One who said it means real fish [explains it so because of] ‘which we were wont to eat’; the other who interprets it as ‘illicit intercourse’, does so because the term ‘for nought’ is used.12 But according to him who said it means ‘intercourse’, does not Scripture read: ‘Which we were wont to eat’? — Scripture uses an euphemism, as it is written: She eateth and wipeth her mouth and saith: I have done no wickedness.13 What does ‘for nought’ mean according to him who says they were real fish? — They were brought to them from public property, for a Master taught: When the Israelites were drawing water, the Holy One, blessed be He, prepared for them in the water little fish for their pitchers. According to him who said ‘real fish’, but with regard to illicit intercourse [he holds] they were not dissolute, it will be quite right that Scripture said: A garden shut up is my sister, etc.14 but according to the view that fishes mean ‘illicit intercourse’, what ‘fountain sealed’ is here? — They were not dissolute with regard to forbidden relations.15 It will be right according to him who interprets it as ‘illicit intercourse’, hence Scripture said: And Moses heard the people weeping for their families,16 i.e., because of the families [relations] with whom they were forbidden to have intercourse; but according to him who interprets it as ‘fish’, what does ‘weeping for their families’ mean? — Both17 are implied.