Author Topic: Hot Looking Reform Rabbi: Media Should Depict a More Diverse Image of Rabbies  (Read 4057 times)

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
The problem with her thesis is that her reform type of Judaism is getting already the most exposure in the American media. I think what she really wants is to completely hide the traditional looking orthodox Jews, or even worse - to make them extinct; because she is ashamed of the real Judaism.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/08/female-rabbi-pens-open-letter-decrying-hollywoods-depiction-of-jewish-leaders/

Rabbi Jordie Gerson
Rabbi Jordie Gerson

Rabbi and writer
GET UPDATES FROM Rabbi Jordie Gerson

Letter to Hollywood -- I Don't Have a Beard or Side Curls and I Look Just Like You: American Judaism's Image Problem
Posted: 11/08/2013 10:51 am
Follow
Comedy Central, Judaism, Advertising, Judaism, Hollywood, Judaism, American Apparel, Fiddler On The Roof, Madison Avenue, Casting-Agents, Clergy, Female Clergy, Femininity, Feminism, Jews, Masculinity, New Girl, Ultra-Orthodox Jews, Religion News

Get Religion Newsletters:
Subscribe

Almost every time I see myself represented in American movies, television shows or advertisements, I have a beard and a kippah. Often, I'm wearing a black hat, side curls, and almost always, a white button-down shirt and black jacket. I am almost never a woman. I am, according to American media, what a rabbi looks like.

Except, of course, that that's no longer what most of America's Jewish leadership looks like. We look like you, dear reader. We're young women, old women, clean-shaven, young men, LGBTQ, and sometimes, we're even blonde, or red-headed, or of Middle Eastern, Asian or African descent. Some of us are even attractive. Personally, I'm 5'0", blue-eyed, with long brown hair, and I rarely wear a kippah unless I'm officiating at lifecycle events or prayer. I couldn't grow a beard if I wanted to (I'm not complaining).

So then why does Hollywood think I look like something out of Fiddler on the Roof? Why does Hollywood (and the New York Times, and Comedy Central, and even American Apparel) insist on portraying me and my colleagues as bearded ultra-orthodox rabbis or nebbishy older men? Why does Hollywood need us to look so distinctively "Jewish," so "other," so male and "different"?

I'd point to Daniel Boyarin's thesis in Unheroic Conduct, that the ideal image of Jewish masculinity was constructed in the yeshivot of Europe and idealized a bookish, pale, bearded, feminine male, and hasn't evolved much since. But that's Jewish self-construction, just as early Zionism's creation of the macho strapping new Jew/Israeli valorized traditional ideals of masculinity. That was also Jewish self-construction. Is this too? I honestly don't know. How many casting agents and writers in Hollywood or on Madison Avenue are Jewish? And if they are, why are they so set on portraying Jewish leadership so narrowly? Why do the entertainment and advertising industries need us to look like hasids or caricatures of Jewishness? Why is the image of a female rabbi, or a clean-shaven, young, attractive male rabbi with all his hair so rare? Why do they insist on "other-ing" us?

The problem is this: These images make our jobs harder. Especially for female rabbis. When we stand on the bima to deliver a sermon, or officiate at a wedding or funeral, or comfort a family by a deathbed, or meet with students on university campuses, and the first reaction is that we don't "look" like rabbis, or that we're too young, or too feminine, our holy vocation is denigrated and belittled, and we're judged less fit for the job before we've even opened our mouths. That's because the Jews we serve don't recognize us. I don't either. It's time for that to change.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
She's probably a lesbian most reform 'Rabbi' females are
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
She's probably a lesbian most reform 'Rabbi' females are
No way, you are just using another stereotype  ;D

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
This former NFL football player became a real religious  person   http://tidbitsoftorah.blogspot.com/2009/05/former-dallas-cowboys-football-player.html 

Alan Veingrad - Former Dallas Cowboys Player

Former Dallas Cowboys Football Player, Alan Veingrad, shares his spiritual journey to the synagogue on Israel National News with Tamar Jonah

Alan Veingrad, Offensive Lineman with the Dallas Cowboys & Green Bay Packers, joins Tamar as she interviews him about his spiritual journey from the football field to the Synagogue. Alan (today, Shlomo) Veingrad retells his life story of being a Jewish football player and member of the Super Bowl XXVII World Champion Dallas Cowboy Team in 1992. He shares that after he retired from football, he read an article about himself in the 'Where Are They Now' Column. After reading the summary of his life in the piece, he came to the conclusion that he had led, and was still leading a shallow life. It was then that Alan started looking for the deeper meaning of existence. Today, Alan is an Orthodox Jew, a Chabadnik, and travels around the USA and speaks about his football career, and how it eventually led him to lead a Torah filled life. His speaking engagements inspire and educate people of all ages, making them proud of their Judaism.

Short CNN video below. Interview with Tamar here.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
Look at the nazi comments under the article.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Look at the nazi comments under the article.
Most of them are Trolls, especially TimEngle! I don't see any of the regulars.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Wait if she's a rabbi then so am I and joe Biden.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
She says pictures of male rabbis are representing "herself". They are representing other Jews.

What a moron.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 03:28:52 AM by Binyamin Yisrael »

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Many years ago while visting my father,A"H I met his next door neighbor a lady CONservative "rabbi"  & her husband I said to him you must be the rebbitzin he got mad.
She stuck her hand out to shake I said you call yourself a "rabbi" you should know better than to shake  a hand of a male that is not related to you.
I also said real rabbis are males not females she got mad & took off in a huff.
I also told her my son who was 5  (22 years ago) at the time knows more torah than she does.
What a joke these rabbits are.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
On a ship once I knew this female Deconstructed Jewish chaplain (I won't call her a rabbi), and I think the most angry I saw her (except for when I told the truth about liberal Judaism) was when she was talking about how some traditional orthodox Jews dress like rabbis from several centuries ago.  In liberal Judaism, modern secular culture is the standard by which everything, including the Torah, is judged.  Therefore Deform and Deconstructed Judaism aren't really denominations of Judaism, they are denominations of atheism.

I remember you talked about her and how she was offended by a simple Dvar Torah. Then you said it turns out she's not really Halachically Jewish anyway.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
This creature is not a "rabbi", she's not Jewish besides in name, and she most certainly is not hot, unless you think people that resemble albino lemurs with a wig slapped on them are "hot".

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Even BlowJoe the Clown would make a better "rabbi" than this dwarf lesbian primate.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
Have you noticed how she is supposed to be a rabbi but in her op-ed there is no mention at all to Torah nor to tradition or even to God. She has no Jewish insight to tell or a parable or just a quote of some Jewish thinker to explain her philosophy. The only things she cares are image, looks, appearance, ceremony.

She probably speaks to her audience at the "temple" the same vain empty message; standing on a bima as a very ornamental vessel with empty content, and wonders why people don't take her seriously.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
Remember how Jesus warns of Jews who are not Jews and betray their own!

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member

You definitely know more Dvri Torah then her, without any exaggerations at all. In fact an Orthodox Jewish kid, say even 13 years old know more Torah then the heads of the Deform, deconstructionist or CONservative movements.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
If she's a rabbi I am the Pope.
Pope Hymie I
 :::D

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
Watch out for women with pin-point green eyes.

This Jordie is as "kosher" and as beautifully dangerous as a cornered leopardess!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:51:53 PM by Yerusha »

Offline Jacob_Levi

• Junior JTFer
I travel all over the world. Including the USA and attend many different Synagogues. The only thing that will cause to not return is an openly ( In your face ) gay Rabbi, a Rabbi that opens a service in dedicating it to Martin Luther King. I have not ran into one that openly embraces Lashon Hara. But I would leave if I thought it was being committed.

I guess that is restricted for forums......I won't mention any at this time !
טוב להיות זנב לאריות מאשר ראש לשועלים

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
What is the gay shul called?
Temple Ben Dover?
Temple Share A Tuchis?

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
There is a saying "Stay away from her, SHE is not a rabbi"

This girl is off the derech completely. I think to do something like this, there must be a bit of arrogance too. Hopefully she will come off her high horse that gives her the delusion that she is a Torah scholar and she will join the rest of us. She really knows nothing if she thinks she's a rabbi.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
According to Gerson’s biography, she has served as a campus rabbi at both Yale University and the University of Vermont and is a graduate of Harvard Divinity School; she received her ordination from New York City’s Hebrew Union College.

What is Harvard Divinity School? Why would a rabbi go there? Is it some sort of Secular anti-religious study of religion? They probably teach Bible critic garbage there. I call the so-called "higher criticism" Leftist mythology. Wikipedia actually gives these people credibility by making articles on "Jewish mythology".

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
What is the gay shul called?
Temple Ben Dover?
Temple Share A Tuchis?

Close enough. Her goyish "Divinity" school has a building called Andover Hall. Just check the Wikipedia link above.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
I'd point to Daniel Boyarin's thesis in Unheroic Conduct, that the ideal image of Jewish masculinity was constructed in the yeshivot of Europe and idealized a bookish, pale, bearded, feminine male, and hasn't evolved much since. But that's Jewish self-construction, just as early Zionism's creation of the macho strapping new Jew/Israeli valorized traditional ideals of masculinity. That was also Jewish self-construction. Is this too? I honestly don't know. How many casting agents and writers in Hollywood or on Madison Avenue are Jewish? And if they are, why are they so set on portraying Jewish leadership so narrowly? Why do the entertainment and advertising industries need us to look like hasids or caricatures of Jewishness? Why is the image of a female rabbi, or a clean-shaven, young, attractive male rabbi with all his hair so rare? Why do they insist on "other-ing" us?

Feminine male? I guess she wants to be a masculine female.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Nonny, there is nothing attractive about this dyke slut. I'd actually take the leopard over that beast.