Author Topic: Polygamy  (Read 7828 times)

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
Re: Polygamy
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 01:36:10 PM »
Back in that time, there weren't as many men because lot of men died (war, defense, wild animals, etc.)

But a lot of women died in childbirth in those days. It was the most common cause of death among young women, as I read somewhere. So that would balance out the number of men killed in raids and by wild animals. I don't believe that other than in times of extreme calamities there were serious disproportions in the men/women ratio.

newman

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 04:41:50 PM »
I wouldn't sell the polygomy idea too short. There was this time I met these two air hostesses at the night club in the Hilton hotel and.........
...........oh, never mind.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »
Back in that time, there weren't as many men because lot of men died (war, defense, wild animals, etc.)

But a lot of women died in childbirth in those days. It was the most common cause of death among young women, as I read somewhere. So that would balance out the number of men killed in raids and by wild animals. I don't believe that other than in times of extreme calamities there were serious disproportions in the men/women ratio.

yeh but child birth deaths would happen one at a time...death to man in wars would be 100's to 1000's at a time.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 08:30:26 PM »
yeh but child birth deaths would happen one at a time...death to man in wars would be 100's to 1000's at a time.

Actually, no. In lethal raiding, which was the normal mode of primitive warfare, there were relatively few casualties. The main goal was to intimidate and steal. These were not wars of attrition. Serious wars with hundreds and thousands of casualties were a rare occurrence. This is why they were recorded through myth and remembered. This is what I mean by major calamities. Primitive men were not suicidal, and it's a bad evolutional strategy to constantly engage in large scale conflict that would wipe out or drastically reduce the tribe's population.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 09:10:30 PM »
   I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE MORMON RELIGION. THEY ARE RIGHTEOUS GENTILES AND I HAVE MANY MORMON FRIENDS. SOME OF THEM MAY EVEN BE JTF ALLIES.
   The LDS banned polygamy in 1890. Remember than Judaism used to permit polygamy. There are some lunatics that broke off from the Mormon church and live in family communes. They do not belong to the Mormon religion. 
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

newman

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 09:17:02 PM »
   I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE MORMON RELIGION. THEY ARE RIGHTEOUS GENTILES AND I HAVE MANY MORMON FRIENDS. SOME OF THEM MAY EVEN BE JTF ALLIES.
   The LDS banned polygamy in 1890. Remember than Judaism used to permit polygamy. There are some lunatics that broke off from the Mormon church and live in family communes. They do not belong to the Mormon religion. 

If Ervil Lebaron's sect, the Singer/ Swapp family and all the other polygamist wack-jobs out of Utah aren't mormon, what are they?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 09:33:59 PM »
I agree with Takebackourtemple.  Most Mormons are good hard working people, so let's stop bashing them. 

newman

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 09:37:11 PM »
I agree with Takebackourtemple.  Most Mormons are good hard working people, so let's stop bashing them. 

I disagree. They aggressively missionize. When they stop bashing on our doors, we'll stop bashing them.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 09:37:29 PM »
newman, please stop.

It is completely ok to disagree with the Mormon religion (as I disagree with the Christian faith because I practice Torah Judaism) but it is not ok to insult Mormons here. Not all are so determined to prostelize and it is completely against the rules of the forum.

There are Mormon righteous gentiles (who are also members of JTF) who love the Jewish people and who fully support Israel.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 09:40:01 PM »
If Ervil Lebaron's sect, the Singer/ Swapp family and all the other polygamist wack-jobs out of Utah aren't mormon, what are they?

Not all LDS believers are Mormon. Not all Mormons live in Utah either. As I mentioned, I have plenty of decent g-d fearing Mormon friends. If a Mormon is willing to live a moral lifestyle and is willing to support Israel, there is no reason he or she should not be our ally. BTW, I've been to Utah three times already. It is a beautiful state with a lot of nice people. People out there are much friendlier than in New York.
   Unless someone can demonstrate that they are evil anti-semites I think they deserve respect. Even if we don't have the same religious views as them.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Maccabi

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 10:39:36 PM »
I don't think there should be forced polygamy - arranged marriages...that's cruel and really isn't fair to the women.

But if the women don't mind then maybe it should be legal.

Some women might even find it attractive if the guy is wealthy, prosperous and ambitious.

It would be like living on a kibbutz except without all the commies and without other men...You know, it could be a convenient little arrangement...

I would probably prefer to be with one amazing woman who truly loves me and satisfies me in every way, but if I can't find that then I'm going for glitz, glamour, and big harems all the way.

Maybe 5 or 10 of my wives will be IDF girls, so they can help protect the harem...That way I won't even need to hire guards.

newman

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 10:48:31 PM »
I don't think there should be forced polygamy - arranged marriages...that's cruel and really isn't fair to the women.

But if the women don't mind then maybe it should be legal.

Some women might even find it attractive if the guy is wealthy, prosperous and ambitious.

It would be like living on a kibbutz except without all the commies and without other men...You know, it could be a convenient little arrangement...

I would probably prefer to be with one amazing woman who truly loves me and satisfies me in every way, but if I can't find that then I'm going for glitz, glamour, and big harems all the way.

Maybe 5 or 10 of my wives will be IDF girls, so they can help protect the harem...That way I won't even need to hire guards.

I tried a similar arrangement with a ladies' softball team but the court said.................ah, never mind.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:51:31 PM by newman »