Author Topic: Want to live longer and healthier lives? Eat lots of vegetables and fruits!  (Read 10195 times)

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
בס''ד

You guys worry me. At least since the 1950s, we have known that high levels of cholesterol and saturated fat are the two leading causes of heart disease and early death for non-smokers. For smokers, you can add a third leading cause.

Eating eggs, chicken fat, fatty meats, dairy products, foods loaded with processed sugar and fried foods clogs the arteries. Clogged arteries lead to heart attacks and strokes.

The level of danger is also influenced by other factors such as heredity, age, exercise, weight and stress. But the danger is real. The hundreds of studies proving that bad diet clogs the arteries and kills people are not a hoax.

When I was a teenager, most people ate meat every day, sometimes twice a day. Steaks, hamburgers and frankfurters were especially popular. Today many people have cut down on their consumption of meat as well as other dangerous foods like cakes, candies, ice cream, cookies, cheeses, milk and so on. The result? People live an average of ten years longer today than in the 1960s and 1970s. Also people live much higher quality lives: when I was a kid most people were old, sick and tired at age 60, today there are many people in their 80s who are healthy and energetic.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
Fish and fish eggs are great. Salmon, herring, sable, trout and sardines are great- just not salted. Red meat in moderation (once a week) is fine- women, especially, need the iron. Watch out for salty meats (e.g., corned beef, pastrami, etc.), usually doused in nitrates and nitrites that promote pancreatic cancer, in particular. Same goes for most lunch meats.

Keep your carbohydrates to a minimum, except for fruits and vegetables, which, as Chaim states, are very beneficial. Bread, rice, and noodles are bad. When you eat these in combination with cholesterol/saturated fats you burn the carbs and store the fats- bad. When your carbohydrate reserves are low you burn fats- much more efficient and healthy. Sugar is the enemy.

Eat organic if you can. The chemicals (e.g., hormones, antibiotics, preservatives, etc.) in most conventional food are very damaging to your immunity and cellular metabolism. Probiotics- good.

Drink water- period. A cup of organic coffee a day perhaps, a glass of wine here and there perhaps, is good. BTW- I witnessed and participated in many hospital autopsies and noted that alcoholics' blood vessels were as smooth as a baby's; however, their livers were a mess. Fruit juices, widely touted as healthy, simply have too much sugar- avoid it. BTW- NYC has some of the best water available- from the mountains of upstate NY. We tested it in the clinical labs at The Mount Sinai Hospital (c. 1992), and it was clean as a whistle.

Exercise is vital- an intense 30 minute "cardio" type workout 4-5x/week is great. Meditation- ooooh- has been shown to be beneficial. Studies have shown an association with lower blood pressure and cortisol (stress hormone) levels.

Some of you may be able to keep a strict regimen, others may not, but at least have something to strive for.

On the humorous side, when asked the secret to his longevity, George Burns replied "Eat half."

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
I don't eat many healthy foods but I'm not near overweight as I exercise 1-2 times a day (walking, jogging, cycling)
Can anyone recommend what foods to eat if you exercise like me and is it better to eat first then exercise?
Also I don't believe in all these junk vitamin pills so don't even bother to  recommend me any of those or any pills for that matter, only food. Thanks.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
Fish and fish eggs are great. Salmon, herring, sable, trout and sardines are great- just not salted. Red meat in moderation (once a week) is fine- women, especially, need the iron. Watch out for salty meats (e.g., corned beef, pastrami, etc.), usually doused in nitrates and nitrites that promote pancreatic cancer, in particular. Same goes for most lunch meats.

Keep your carbohydrates to a minimum, except for fruits and vegetables, which, as Chaim states, are very beneficial. Bread, rice, and noodles are bad. When you eat these in combination with cholesterol/saturated fats you burn the carbs and store the fats- bad. When your carbohydrate reserves are low you burn fats- much more efficient and healthy. Sugar is the enemy.

Eat organic if you can. The chemicals (e.g., hormones, antibiotics, preservatives, etc.) in most conventional food are very damaging to your immunity and cellular metabolism. Probiotics- good.

Drink water- period. A cup of organic coffee a day perhaps, a glass of wine here and there perhaps, is good. BTW- I witnessed and participated in many hospital autopsies and noted that alcoholics' blood vessels were as smooth as a baby's; however, their livers were a mess. Fruit juices, widely touted as healthy, simply have too much sugar- avoid it. BTW- NYC has some of the best water available- from the mountains of upstate NY. We tested it in the clinical labs at The Mount Sinai Hospital (c. 1992), and it was clean as a whistle.

Exercise is vital- an intense 30 minute "cardio" type workout 4-5x/week is great. Meditation- ooooh- has been shown to be beneficial. Studies have shown an association with lower blood pressure and cortisol (stress hormone) levels.

Some of you may be able to keep a strict regimen, others may not, but at least have something to strive for.

On the humorous side, when asked the secret to his longevity, George Burns replied "Eat half."

בס''ד

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
I don't eat many healthy foods but I'm not near overweight as I exercise 1-2 times a day (walking, jogging, cycling)
Can anyone recommend what foods to eat if you exercise like me and is it better to eat first then exercise?
Also I don't believe in all these junk vitamin pills so don't even bother to  recommend me any of those or any pills for that matter, only food. Thanks.

Coffee before exercise. Definitely gives a great boost.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
בס''ד

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Chaim; I was feeling prolific.  ;D

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
I agree with Chaim.  That was a great post Ben Yehuda.

My mother always gave the same advice as George Burns....eat less.  She didn't think losing weight was rocket science.   :)
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Is taking caffeine before exercise the best thing?
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Is taking caffeine before exercise the best thing?

I think so. Get a great boost for sure. For example if playing basketball or something else, you get more energy and stamina.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Coffee is a smelly drug that I will never drink. I know people who can't wake up properly without a cup of coffee.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Coffee is a smelly drug that I will never drink. I know people who can't wake up properly without a cup of coffee.

Energy boost + antioxidants. Tastes awesome as well.

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Tylenol is poison. Occasionally I take aspirin.

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Tylenol is poison. Occasionally I take aspirin.
I don't take any pills, they are too much of a risk in the long term.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Not everyone feels great when taking coffee before exercise.
But I don't see why coffee is so bad.
I drink tea mostly though.
I sometimes have coffee and always black. I never add sugar to coffee or tea.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
Coffee- everything in moderation, like a cup a day, no more or none at all, organic, black preferably. Stay hydrated, however, since it will cause you to go. Stay away from all those  "energy" drinks.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Coffee- everything in moderation, like a cup a day, no more or none at all, organic, black preferably. Stay hydrated, however, since it will cause you to go. Stay away from all those  "energy" drinks.

Coffee kills adrenaline. It's not good.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I've said this before.... It is my opinion (based on observation) that genetics are the best way of determining longevity. I notice that those who have ancestors who lived to be in their 90s will usually make it to their 90s.... Those whose parents died younger will probably die younger.

I don't have longevity in my family unfortunately. Nobody has lived to their 90s.... My father passed at 75, his mother died younger than that... Both died of cancers... His father died of a heart attack or stroke in his 70s.

Environmental factors are important, but they are not (again according to my observation) the ultimate way to determine your longevity.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I think before cycling or similar high intensity work out you can eat a sweet fruit like a couple of dates or a banana, that's what I often do. Don't feel up your stomach though. If you want to grow muscles eat your daily proteins after workout, lean proteins and some slow carbs like whole wheat, whole rice etc. If your protein source is vegan then you need to make sure you get all the required amino acids by combining grain with beans/legume such as rice and lentil for example, or eat something with soy which has all the amino acids in itself.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
I think before cycling or similar high intensity work out you can eat a sweet fruit like a couple of dates or a banana, that's what I often do. Don't feel up your stomach though. If you want to grow muscles eat your daily proteins after workout, lean proteins and some slow carbs like whole wheat, whole rice etc. If your protein source is vegan then you need to make sure you get all the required amino acids by combining grain with beans/legume such as rice and lentil for example, or eat something with soy which has all the amino acids in itself.

Do you know any health science? Soy is the most incomplete protein you'll find. You'll get more amino acids if you eat your skin. Also, it has the most naturally occurring toxins out of any plant in nature, mostly a compound which mimics estrogen, which kills testosterone, and that means less muscles, and more being a [censored]. No eggs, [actual] salt, and lots of soy. You guys have really drank the commie cool-aid. Say this crap to mudrats, not to Jews. Half of what is here has been as thoroughly refuted as blood letting. The highest amino acid counts are found in hemp hearts [or seeds, but hearts are best], and whey is also alright. Even a chick pea will have a higher amino acid count than stupid soy. Buddhists used to consume soy to help keep celibate. You don't think there a reason why they have tiny...
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
Coffee does not kill adrenaline, pure isolated caffeine does, but coffee as a whole has properties that enhance neurological functioning, provide antioxidant benefits and have energy boosting properties and are endurance enhancing.  The nutrients in coffee as a whole will help regulate the absorption of the caffeine into the body and reduce any stress on the adrenal glands.. There is a large misconception and studies where they showed adrenal stress were performed with the isolated caffeine molecule rather than the coffee plant as a whole.  Indeed, pure caffeine is bad for you, but even pure isolated antioxidants and many other substances can be bad for you.  THey've done studies that men who drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee have a much lower incidence of prostate cancer.  They've also done studies that people who drink coffee on a regular basis have lower incidences of Alzheimer's disease.

Also, fruit is not as healthy as people think.. Too much fruit can cause diabetes, cancer , viral and bacterial infections.  Fruit contains high concentrations of fructose which results in blood sugar spikes and stresses the immune system.  Fructose is the most toxic form of sugar and strains the liver more than glucose..

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/01/02/highfructose-corn-syrup-alters-human-metabolism.aspx

Eating a diet high in vegetables and grains grown in nutrient rich soils would be the healthiest type of diet.  Eating fruit like blueberries in moderation would also be helpful, but a diet high in fruit will cause problems.   Many people think Steve Jobs's fruitarian diet is what caused his pancreatic cancer.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:08:25 PM by EveryJewA44 »
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Sounds to me like everyone has their own answer to what is healthy... This mimics my complaints against the entire scientific and medical community. Every few years they modify what they think is healthy and what they think is not healthy, and things move back and forth depending on what is trendy for the times.

Eggs are good, eggs are bad, eggs are good, eggs are bad. Salt is good, Salt is bad, Salt is good, Salt is bad...

Ad nauseum.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
To quote Jackie Mason:  "It's not a matter of staying healthy anymore.  It's a matter of picking a disease you like!"

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
Sounds to me like everyone has their own answer to what is healthy... This mimics my complaints against the entire scientific and medical community. Every few years they modify what they think is healthy and what they think is not healthy, and things move back and forth depending on what is trendy for the times.

Eggs are good, eggs are bad, eggs are good, eggs are bad. Salt is good, Salt is bad, Salt is good, Salt is bad...

Ad nauseum.

Eggs from soy-free/corn-free free ranged chickens fed a diet of bugs with dark colored yolks is good..  High Omega 3 and many other nutrients including Phosphatidyl Cholines, Serines , Lucines, Vitamin A, B ,etc..    Egg whites are one of the most complete and bioavailable sources of protein.

Salt is good that is not processed and heated up to 2000C like most sea salts..  Salt like Himalayan Salt is not only good for you, but is really essential for human life.. Only in the last 100 years have humans been eating processed salts , which are heated treated and have a molecular structure that is mutated by the process.  It is not salt that is bad for you, but the type of synthetically/heat processed salt we have today.    Remember, you do not live in a natural environment anymore, but one where even simple foods like tomatos are now bioengineered .

For example, I got in a big debate at the synagogue I was attending a while back because I told them the Kosher Tomatoes they are using are GMO and have pig genes inserted into them to produce higher yield and increase growth.  Considering, I challenged the integrity of the Kosher certifier and the synagogue, I was shot down and told that just because the tomatoes have pig genes in them, doesn't make them non-kosher.  I don't know aobut you , but I don't like eating anything with pig genes.   Especially when you splice the gene of a plant and modify the molecular structure to bind it with a pig.
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.