Author Topic: Satmar Rebbe Of Williamsburg Sets Price Ceiling on Purchasing a Shtreimal  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
The sanest thing coming out of the mouth of a Satmarer (Rebbe).
 Perhaps in the not so distant future they can get rid of the Streimal altogether and everything it entails.

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/228695/satmar-rebbe-of-williamsburg-sets-price-ceiling-on-purchasing-a-shtreimal.html

A melave malka was held this past motzei Shabbos in the main Satmar Beit Medrash in Williamsburg, a yahrzeit seuda for the previous the Beirach Moshe of Satmar ZATZAL. The rebbe spoke of the simcha halls that were built in the community, permitting the tzibur to have chasenahs in the community at a reduced price. The rebbe then announced his new takanah pertaining to the cost of a shtreimal for a chosson. It is reported that while in Eretz Yisrael the shtreimal is relatively inexpensive, the ones purchased in Satmar in NYC are of a special fur and can run $6,000 – 7,000. In Eretz Yisrael many purchase a synthetic shtreimal, which will cost $1,000 and far more durable in the rain. The rebbe requested that the shtreimal for a chosson should not cost more than $2,500 and a chosson should only have one shtreimal. The rebbe added that with the assistance of askanim, he has spoken with shtreimal manufacturers and they promise to make one that will fall in this price range to accommodate the takanah. The rebbe added that from today forward, only the father of the chosson may purchase his son a shtreimal and not the father of the kallah, as has become the custom among a growing number of families
See more at: http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/228695/satmar-rebbe-of-williamsburg-sets-price-ceiling-on-purchasing-a-shtreimal.html#sthash.9Qi10ZuZ.dpuf
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
What does it entail? It is simply a hat...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
What does it entail? It is simply a hat...

Mark-ups.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I didn't understand half of that article until I realized they were talking about the fur hat thingy.

Good thing for my ability to learn from context.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
The shtreimels you get in America are made from beaver or fox fur, which is very expensive.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
The sanest thing coming out of the mouth of a Satmarer (Rebbe).
 Perhaps in the not so distant future they can get rid of the Streimal altogether and everything it entails.

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/228695/satmar-rebbe-of-williamsburg-sets-price-ceiling-on-purchasing-a-shtreimal.html

A melave malka was held this past motzei Shabbos in the main Satmar Beit Medrash in Williamsburg, a yahrzeit seuda for the previous the Beirach Moshe of Satmar ZATZAL. The rebbe spoke of the simcha halls that were built in the community, permitting the tzibur to have chasenahs in the community at a reduced price. The rebbe then announced his new takanah pertaining to the cost of a shtreimal for a chosson. It is reported that while in Eretz Yisrael the shtreimal is relatively inexpensive, the ones purchased in Satmar in NYC are of a special fur and can run $6,000 – 7,000. In Eretz Yisrael many purchase a synthetic shtreimal, which will cost $1,000 and far more durable in the rain. The rebbe requested that the shtreimal for a chosson should not cost more than $2,500 and a chosson should only have one shtreimal. The rebbe added that with the assistance of askanim, he has spoken with shtreimal manufacturers and they promise to make one that will fall in this price range to accommodate the takanah. The rebbe added that from today forward, only the father of the chosson may purchase his son a shtreimal and not the father of the kallah, as has become the custom among a growing number of families
See more at: http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/228695/satmar-rebbe-of-williamsburg-sets-price-ceiling-on-purchasing-a-shtreimal.html#sthash.9Qi10ZuZ.dpuf
Why get rid of it?
It certainly looks nicer & more mechubad than the ripped up jeans & with the sandals & no socks & filthy feet that some dati leumi go with.
I don't wear one because in Lubatich the chasidim (except the Yerushalmi & those that originally came from other kehjilos that did)never wore them only the the Rebbe did & last Rebbe,ZT"L,ZY"A abandoned the practice for what ever reason.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
It's a beautiful story for the exile, that they took an object of shame that Jews were forced to wear and made it a symbol of pride, but what it says is "accursed exile in Russia" and "degradation of Jews". There is no coincidence of the exile mentality held by Satmar, or that they demand to be separate and see themselves as more special than any other groups. We need to have Jewish culture from Israel and Am Yisrael, not exile survival tactics and division.

That being said, I don't really care about the hat, but I am against people who take up the tradition, as it is a minhag from their fathers that is cumbersome, and really doesn't have any meaning for others.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
It's a beautiful story for the exile, that they took an object of shame that Jews were forced to wear and made it a symbol of pride, but what it says is "accursed exile in Russia" and "degradation of Jews". There is no coincidence of the exile mentality held by Satmar, or that they demand to be separate and see themselves as more special than any other groups. We need to have Jewish culture from Israel and Am Yisrael, not exile survival tactics and division.

That being said, I don't really care about the hat, but I am against people who take up the tradition, as it is a minhag from their fathers that is cumbersome, and really doesn't have any meaning for others.

Many Chassidic Jews wear Streimels, not only Satmar...

I see no problem with wearing them.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Many Chassidic Jews wear Streimels, not only Satmar...

I see no problem with wearing them.

Everything we do has an effect. What else are the effects of wearing this hat, and how are others affected?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Everything we do has an effect. What else are the effects of wearing this hat, and how are others affected?

What kind of effect does a hat have? Different Jews wear different head coverings. It is a matter of choice and also a matter of minhag.

We have different styles of Kippahs, and even in Israel some wear 'knitted kippot' and others leather kippot, and others those white kippot...

What effects do they have? I don't really think it is that important.

But yes, everything we do has an effect...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
How do you think Jews should dress? Do we all have to wear the same thing? Should we all wear turbans because the Kohenim wore them?

I don't think Judaism should have a uniform... We can wear what we want to so long as it is tzniut (modest).

See Chabad answer here:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/494846/jewish/Why-do-the-chassidim-dress-in-the-manner-of-Russian-gentry.htm

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
What kind of effect does a hat have? Different Jews wear different head coverings. It is a matter of choice and also a matter of minhag.

We have different styles of Kippahs, and even in Israel some wear 'knitted kippot' and others leather kippot, and others those white kippot...

What effects do they have? I don't really think it is that important.

But yes, everything we do has an effect...

Of course it's important. A kippah, for example, is a sign of humility, and that's important. The hat thing isn't a sign of humility, and though it sounds the same, it's a sign of pride despite humiliation and oppression, which is not the way; we have to be humble and polite and be free to do what we want no matter what the goyim tell us, not make do with what scraps we're left.

The symbol of pride only works for those whose ancestors wore those in Europe, and there's bad sides, but for someone who has nothing to do with it, everything to do with the hat is a reminder of either bad or irrelevant things, other than Yiddishkeit. Not forcing someone to do anything, but this doesn't help, as far as I can analyze thusly.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
How do you think Jews should dress? Do we all have to wear the same thing? Should we all wear turbans because the Kohenim wore them?

I don't think Judaism should have a uniform... We can wear what we want to so long as it is tzniut (modest).

See Chabad answer here:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/494846/jewish/Why-do-the-chassidim-dress-in-the-manner-of-Russian-gentry.htm

As for modesty, that hat may be so in Russia, but in 40o in Israel, you stick out like a sore thumb, and there is a modesty issue there.

Also, no uniforms for Jews. That's my point. If you're going to have one, though, at least choose one that says the right things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
As for modesty, that hat may be so in Russia, but in 40o in Israel, you stick out like a sore thumb, and there is a modesty issue there.

Also, no uniforms for Jews. That's my point. If you're going to have one, though, at least choose one that says the right things.

Like what? I also don't think there is any problem wearing a hat which others are wearing, it doesn't violate Tzniut... If you are the only one wearing it in order to get attention, maybe there is a violation of tzniut. But Striemels have been worn for 100s of years and there should be no issue of tzniut there...

What do you suggest Jews should wear?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Like what? I also don't think there is any problem wearing a hat which others are wearing, it doesn't violate Tzniut... If you are the only one wearing it in order to get attention, maybe there is a violation of tzniut. But Striemels have been worn for 100s of years and there should be no issue of tzniut there...

What do you suggest Jews should wear?

Not a violation because of what you said, but the issue is there, and it would be a violation if only one guy wore that hat, you said, implying a modesty issue with it.

Also, like I said, it does symbolize their fathers' ability to stay proud in degrading circumstances, so they certainly aren't going to see me in a hat protest, but other Jews should wear kippot like other Jews, or any hat that doesn't attract attention.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
Why get rid of it?
It certainly looks nicer & more mechubad than the ripped up jeans & with the sandals & no socks & filthy feet that some dati leumi go with.
I don't wear one because in Lubatich the chasidim (except the Yerushalmi & those that originally came from other kehjilos that did)never wore them only the the Rebbe did & last Rebbe,ZT"L,ZY"A abandoned the practice for what ever reason.
The streimel was essentially a symbol of the Rebbe being the leader of Chabad. It was a special streimel passed down from Rebbe to Rebbe. But when the Frideker was niftar he had not formally designated the Lubavitcher Rebbe as his successor.

But the senior rabbis in Chabad and the masses of the Hasidim wanted the Lubavitcher Rebbe to lead. The only one who didnt want the Rebbe to lead was Chana Gurary, who desperately wanted her husband, Shemaryahu Gurary, to take over after the Friedeker.

Now Shemaryahu Gurary himself wanted the Lubavitcher rebbe to lead. But Chana was not happy about this at all. After a year the Rebbe accepted leadership, but the streimel had gone to Chaya Mushka Schneerson. She gave it to the Rebbe but out of respect for his sister-in-law he never wore it.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban