Author Topic: The Emerging Health Threat of Sugar  (Read 11439 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: The Emerging Health Threat of Sugar
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 04:05:20 PM »
http://unews.utah.edu/news_releases/sugar-is-toxic-to-mice-in-safe-doses/

Aug. 13, 2013 – When mice ate a diet of 25 percent extra sugar – the mouse equivalent of a healthy human diet plus three cans of soda daily – females died at twice the normal rate and males were a quarter less likely to hold territory and reproduce, according to a toxicity test developed at the University of Utah.

“Our results provide evidence that added sugar consumed at concentrations currently considered safe exerts dramatic adverse impacts on mammalian health,” the researchers say in a study set for online publication Tuesday, Aug. 13 in the journal Nature Communications.

“This demonstrates the adverse effects of added sugars at human-relevant levels,” says University of Utah biology professor Wayne Potts, the study’s senior author. He says previous studies using other tests fed mice large doses of sugar disproportionate to the amount people consume in sweetened beverages, baked goods and candy.

“I have reduced refined sugar intake and encouraged my family to do the same,” he adds, noting that the new test showed that the 25 percent “added-sugar” diet – 12.5 percent dextrose (the industrial name for glucose) and 12.5 percent fructose – was just as harmful to the health of mice as being the inbred offspring of first cousins.

Even though the mice didn’t become obese and showed few metabolic symptoms, the sensitive test showed “they died more often and tended to have fewer babies,” says the study’s first author, James Ruff, who recently earned his Ph.D. at the University of Utah. “We have shown that levels of sugar that people typically consume – and that are considered safe by regulatory agencies – impair the health of mice.”
Human-made toxic substances in the environment potentially affect all of us, and more are continually discovered, Potts says.

“You have to ask why we didn’t discover them 20 years ago,” he adds. “The answer is that until now, we haven’t had a functional, broad and sensitive test to screen the potential toxic substances that are being released into the environment or in our drugs or our food supply.”

Potts and Ruff conducted the study with University of Utah biology lab manager Linda Morrison and undergraduates Amanda Suchy, Sara Hugentobler, Mirtha Sosa and Bradley Schwartz, and with researchers Sin Gieng and Mark Shigenaga of Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute in California.

http://www.livescience.com/18244-sugar-toxic-regulations.html

A spoonful of sugar might make the medicine go down. But it also makes blood pressure and cholesterol go up, along with your risk for liver failure, obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

Sugar and other sweeteners are, in fact, so toxic to the human body that they should be regulated as strictly as alcohol by governments worldwide, according to a commentary in the current issue of the journal Nature by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).

The researchers propose regulations such as taxing all foods and drinks that include added sugar, banning sales in or near schools and placing age limits on purchases.

Although the commentary might seem straight out of the Journal of Ideas That Will Never Fly, the researchers cite numerous studies and statistics to make their case that added sugar — or, more specifically, sucrose, an even mix of glucose and fructose found in high-fructose corn syrup and in table sugar made from sugar cane and sugar beets — has been as detrimental to society as alcohol and tobacco.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 04:12:11 PM »
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/sugar-problem/refined-sugar-the-sweetest-poison-of-all

SUGAR: HARMFUL TO HUMANS AND ANIMALS

Shipwrecked sailors who ate and drank nothing but sugar and rum for nine days surely went through some of this trauma; the tales they had to tell created a big public relations problem for the sugar pushers. This incident occurred when a vessel carrying a cargo of sugar was shipwrecked in 1793. The five surviving sailors were finally rescued after being marooned for nine days. They were in a wasted condition due to starvation, having consumed nothing but sugar and rum. The eminent French physiologist F. Magendie was inspired by that incident to conduct a series of experiments with animals, the results of which he published in 1816. In the experiments, he fed dogs a diet of sugar or olive oil and water. All the dogs wasted and died.3

The shipwrecked sailors and the French physiologist's experimental dogs proved the same point. As a steady diet, sugar is worse than nothing. Plain water can keep you alive for quite some time. Sugar and water can kill you. Humans [and animals] are "unable to subsist on a diet of sugar".4 The dead dogs in Professor Magendie's laboratory alerted the sugar industry to the hazards of free scientific inquiry. From that day to this, the sugar industry has invested millions of dollars in behind-the-scenes, subsidized science. The best scientific names that money could buy have been hired, in the hope that they could one day come up with something at least pseudoscientific in the way of glad tidings about sugar.

It has been proved, however, that (1) sugar is a major factor in dental decay; (2) sugar in a person's diet does cause overweight; (3) removal of sugar from diets has cured symptoms of crippling, worldwide diseases such as diabetes, cancer and heart illnesses. Sir Frederick Banting, the codiscoverer of insulin, noticed in 1929 in Panama that, among sugar plantation owners who ate large amounts of their refined stuff, diabetes was common. Among native cane-cutters, who only got to chew the raw cane, he saw no diabetes. However, the story of the public relations attempts on the part of the sugar manufacturers began in Britain in 1808 when the Committee of West India reported to the House of Commons that a prize of twenty-five guineas had been offered to anyone who could come up with the most "satisfactory" experiments to prove that unrefined sugar was good for feeding and fattening oxen, cows, hogs and sheep.5

Food for animals is often seasonal, always expensive. Sugar, by then, was dirt cheap. People weren't eating it fast enough. Naturally, the attempt to feed livestock with sugar and molasses in England in 1808 was a disaster. When the Committee on West India made its fourth report to the House of Commons, one Member of Parliament, John Curwin, reported that he had tried to feed sugar and molasses to calves without success. He suggested that perhaps someone should try again by sneaking sugar and molasses into skimmed milk. Had anything come of that, you can be sure the West Indian sugar merchants would have spread the news around the world. After this singular lack of success in pushing sugar in cow pastures, the West Indian sugar merchants gave up.

With undaunted zeal for increasing the market demand for the most important agricultural product of the West Indies, the Committee of West India was reduced to a tactic that has served the sugar pushers for almost 200 years: irrelevant and transparently silly testimonials from faraway, inaccessible people with some kind of "scientific" credentials. While preparing his epochal volume, A History of Nutrition, published in 1957, Professor E. V. McCollum (Johns Hopkins university), sometimes called America's foremost nutritionist and certainly a pioneer in the field, reviewed approximately 200,000 published scientific papers, recording experiments with food, their properties, their utilization and their effects on animals and men. The material covered the period from the mid-18th century to 1940. From this great repository of scientific inquiry, McCollum selected those experiments which he regarded as significant "to relate the story of progress in discovering human error in this segment of science [of nutrition]".

Professor McCollum failed to record a single controlled scientific experiment with sugar between 1816 and 1940. unhappily, we must remind ourselves that scientists today, and always, accomplish little without a sponsor. The protocols of modern science have compounded the costs of scientific inquiry. We have no right to be surprised when we read the introduction to McCollum's A History of Nutrition and find that "The author and publishers are indebted to The Nutrition Foundation, Inc., for a grant provided to meet a portion of the cost of publication of this book". What, you might ask, is The Nutrition Foundation, Inc.? The author and the publishers don't tell you. It happens to be a front organization for the leading sugar-pushing conglomerates in the food business, including the American Sugar Refining Company, Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, Curtis Candy Co., General Foods, General Mills, Nestlé Co., Pet Milk Co. and Sunshine Biscuits-about 45 such companies in all. Perhaps the most significant thing about McCollum's 1957 history was what he left out: a monumental earlier work described by an eminent Harvard professor as "one of those epochal pieces of research which makes every other investigator desirous of kicking himself because he never thought of doing the same thing".

In the 1930s, a research dentist from Cleveland, Ohio, Dr. Weston A. Price, traveled all over the world-from the lands of the Eskimos to the South Sea Islands, from Africa to New Zealand. His Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects,6 which is illustrated with hundreds of photographs, was first published in 1939. Dr. Price took the whole world as his laboratory. His devastating conclusion, recorded in horrifying detail in area after area, was simple. People who live under so-called backward primitive conditions had excellent teeth and wonderful general health. They ate natural, unrefined food from their own locale. As soon as refined, sugared foods were imported as a result of contact with "civilization," physical degeneration began in a way that was definitely observable within a single generation. Any credibility the sugar pushers have is based on our ignorance of works like that of Dr. Price.

Sugar manufacturers keep trying, hoping and contributing generous research grants to colleges and universities; but the research laboratories never come up with anything solid the manufacturers can use. Invariably, the research results are bad news. "Let us go to the ignorant savage, consider his way of eating and be wise," Harvard professor Ernest Hooten said in Apes, Men, and Morons.7 "Let us cease pretending that toothbrushes and toothpaste are any more important than shoe brushes and shoe polish. It is store food that has given us store teeth." When the researchers bite the hands that feed them, and the news gets out, it's embarrassing all around. In 1958, Time magazine reported that a Harvard biochemist and his assistants had worked with myriads of mice for more than ten years, bankrolled by the Sugar Research Foundation, Inc. to the tune of $57,000, to find out how sugar causes dental cavities and how to prevent this. It took them ten years to discover that there was no way to prevent sugar causing dental decay. When the researchers reported their findings in the Dental Association Journal, their source of money dried up. The Sugar Research Foundation withdrew its support. The more that the scientists disappointed them, the more the sugar pushers had to rely on the ad men.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
Muman, are there any terminal illnesses that the heavenly herb can't cure?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »
Muman, are there any terminal illnesses that the heavenly herb can't cure?

Wrong thread... Here we are talking about the health risks of sugar.

And all I have suggested concerning MJ is there appear to be cancer fighting properties of THC. This is a fact and cancer doctors are looking into this because it appears promising.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 04:55:34 PM »
Wrong thread... Here we are talking about the health risks of sugar.

And all I have suggested concerning MJ is there appear to be cancer fighting properties of THC. This is a fact and cancer doctors are looking into this because it appears promising.

Cancer resisting would be more accurate, as based on my research, it prevents spread and growth, and acts basically as an inhibitor like tea-tree oil on athlete's foot, but not a cure.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »
Reporting this post. You are already on thin ice, I can tell you that much.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »

Go ahead. I don't know what is wrong with what has been posted... Except you want to keep on discussing pot (for which another thread already exists) while we are trying to expose the health problems with sugar.

I really don't know what is wrong with you LSDBR.. You always seek to create division.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »
Go ahead. I don't know what is wrong with what has been posted... Except you want to keep on discussing pot (for which another thread already exists) while we are trying to expose the health problems with sugar.

I really don't know what is wrong with you LSDBR.. You always seek to create division.
I really don't think he is talking to you... I think he might be taking about the rib snapper. ...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 06:30:15 PM »
I really don't think he is talking to you... I think he might be taking about the rib snapper. ...

I suspect he wasn't addressing me...

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »
While I find that post absolutely hilarious, I don't think it looks very good for us, or helps the movement.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »
While I find that post absolutely hilarious, I don't think it looks very good for us, or helps the movement.
I'm not supposed to report personal attacks?

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 07:19:32 PM »
I'm not supposed to report personal attacks?
No no no! I was purely talking about his post! Even the one yelling at KWRBT.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 09:25:49 PM »
The fact of the matter is that people need to read food labels.  Anything which lists sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup as one of the first three or four ingredients should be a no no.  And why even bother with most packaged foods?  The only things I would buy packaged are low fat plain yogurt and Quaker oats (not the instant kind). 

Also, we know that table sugar is no good for anyone.  So there's no reason for any of us to buy anything labeled "drink" or "beverage" which means the stuff has lots of sugar.  As for fruit juices, the ideal is to eat your fruits rather than drinking them.  But if you have to have fruit juice, make sure there's no sugar added, and dilute it with some water. 

Finally, I think the best thing to do is not to watch TV.  There's not much that 's decent on the air, and you don't want to sit for so long either.  Forget about snacking while watching TV as well. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:08 PM »
Good ideas Lisa... But the problem is many of us grew up watching the media pushing these sweet treats... Some of us have habits of eating cookies, chips, and candy... It is hard to go from enjoying these 'goodies' (as my mom calls them) to cutting them out of our diets.

I just hope that the truth concerning the health risks are made available to the public. Part of the reason I posted this thread is to demonstrate that some industry players do not always play fair (they may fund bogus studies, attempt to sink studies which say things they don't want the public to know, etc.) Both the sugar industry and the tobacco industry have engaged in these practices.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:47 PM »
Lol

Urea is a waste product whicch is toxic to your body - that is why your kidneys filter it and it gets excreted in urine and sweat - so that it does not remain in the body.    If it would acccumulate in the body, I would be poisonous.  That is why it is important to have functioning kidney(s).

Table sugar does not "accumulate" in the body, it is broken down as foodstuff then used for energy, used for biochemical reactions, stored as glycogen in the liver, or as fat - basically converted by the body to whatever it needs.

Eaten in normal amounts both it and table salt are NOT carcinogenic or poisonous.  That is leftwing nonsense spread by leftists who are afraid of the boogeyman and of cooties in our food.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 11:52:10 PM »
Lol

Urea is a waste product whicch is toxic to your body - that is why your kidneys filter it and it gets excreted in urine and sweat - so that it does not remain in the body.    If it would acccumulate in the body, I would be poisonous.  That is why it is important to have functioning kidney(s).

Table sugar does not "accumulate" in the body, it is broken down as foodstuff then used for energy, used for biochemical reactions, stored as glycogen in the liver, or as fat - basically converted by the body to whatever it needs.

Eaten in normal amounts both it and table salt are NOT carcinogenic or poisonous.  That is leftwing nonsense spread by leftists who are afraid of the boogeyman and of cooties in our food.
What he said.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »
Lol

According to virtually all sources the average American consumes more than 2X the recommended daily allowance of Sugar. I have looked at a variety of studies and most indicate that sugar contributes to many health problems. Also there are studies which confirm that sugar (beyond what a healthy body requires) causes tumor growth (in people with cancer).

Can you provide evidence for your statement 'That is leftwing nonsense spread by leftists who are afraid of the boogeyman and of cooties in our food.'?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22617559

Abstract

PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
To summarize recent findings that have examined dietary, genetic and gene-diet interactions that contribute to fat accumulation in the liver during growth and development, with particular focus on contributions relating to dietary carbohydrate and sugar consumption. In addition, this review highlights how some of these contributions to liver fat vary across the population in terms of ethnic-specific effects.

RECENT FINDINGS:
Dietary carbohydrate, and especially sugars contribute to increased liver fat accumulation due to the lipogenic potential of fructose during liver metabolism. In addition, recent genome-wide studies have identified several polymorphisms that contribute to increased liver fat accumulation, with some of these genes relating to dietary carbohydrate and sugar consumption. In particular, the patatin-like phospholipase domain-containing protein 3 (PNPLA3) gene, which is highly prevalent in Hispanics, contributes to excessive liver fat beginning at a young age, especially in the context of high sugar consumption.

SUMMARY:
Dietary sugar contributes to liver fat accumulation, with this being explained by de-novo lipogenesis from fructose in the liver. Certain genetic factors, including PNPLA3, glucokinase regulatory protein and APOC3 contribute to increased liver fat accumulation, with these effects being manifested at an early age. Hispanics in particular are at elevated risk for liver fat accumulation because of the higher frequency of genetic variants such as PNPLA3 and glucokinase regulatory protein as well as an interaction between the PNPLA3 and dietary sugar.

Offline Ukrainian Jew

• Senior JTFer
  • «Львівські Євреї – 700 років наполегливої.»
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 01:59:10 AM »
The stuff is basically like a narcotic, similar to marijuana or cocaine. Only it's in everything, and less harmful. But it's still harmful. Of course the corporations are pushing it- because it makes them money. Just like Hollyweird is glorifying drugs and other forms of degeneracy- because it lowers moral standards and thus encourages people in a way of behavior that allows cultural decay, and more profits for the perverted filth.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 02:20:56 AM »

*Shiver*. Shaking in my boots. Let's play a guessing game. On a scale from 1 to I don't give a [censored], try to guess how much I care?

Lol

If air would accumulate in the body, it would be poisonous. Your body also filters and removes yellow pigment, however, it is not a toxin. "Table "sugar"", by which I assume you mean white sugar a.k.a. toxic waste crumbs. The bleach in toxic waste crumbs accumulates in the body, the little energy in it comes out in a blast in a few minutes, and the rest is- poorly- stored as fat, and I say poorly because like artificial trans-fats the body doesn't store it well, so you end up with fat that is very hard to burn. I posted a link to a medical site, but I assume by the end of explaining it you will have assumed I call doctors Nazis, Ephy will wonder why I'm being mean to unicorns and stinks will say I'm hurting the movement, so this is the best rancher translation I can pull off.

There is no normal amount of toxic waste, it will hurt you less with a speck then with a pound, but it will hurt you guaranteed. In regards to destroying your testosterone production and bodily use thereof, I say that scares me 100x more than cancer, but at any rate left-wing doctors scared of the boogeyman they discovered with the scientific method instead of with the bias a lifetime of brainwashing creats say that it is carcenogenic with scientifically measurable results and evidence, but watch out with medical research, it might have cooties.

Good ideas Lisa... But the problem is many of us grew up watching the media pushing these sweet treats... Some of us have habits of eating cookies, chips, and candy... It is hard to go from enjoying these 'goodies' (as my mom calls them) to cutting them out of our diets.

I just hope that the truth concerning the health risks are made available to the public. Part of the reason I posted this thread is to demonstrate that some industry players do not always play fair (they may fund bogus studies, attempt to sink studies which say things they don't want the public to know, etc.) Both the sugar industry and the tobacco industry have engaged in these practices.

I really have no understanding of how you would really want to go back to eating toxic sludge goodies after awesome food. Have you ever tried spinach in cheese sauce? Barbecued steaks in Dijon mustard a l'ancienne? Homemade lemon sorbet in whiskey? Shwarma with pita, hummus, babaganoush and tahini spread on it with chicken, lettuce, ocra, tomatoes, diced cucumbers and garlic mayo? Organic syrop de grenadine in milk? Even a homemade bread with a bit of raw organic non-processed sugar to make a sweet bread tastes 100x better than any of the cookies or fat cakes they serve anywhere. There's lots of really awesome tasting food that is good for you. Try mixing hemp hearts in some pasta with a couple cheese types and some garlic powder on it. Not only does that processed ex-food extract they sell taste like Chernobyl spring water, it's worse for you. The most confusing thing to me after a nice meal of meat and vegetables is someone not understanding why I don't want to eat their puffy processed fat cake. If you are hungry, eat more food that is actually tasty, not crap. Whoever has been marketing to you people, you absolutely must give me his name so I can beg to learn from him.

Muman, I don't think you get how this works. You can tell the public all you want. I tell people that the stuff in their shampoo is synthetic estrogen (anything with paraben in the word) along with skin toxicants and irritants, and they look at me like I'm from Mars and say "if it was dangerous, the government wouldn't let them sell it". This is not a blanket being held over their eyes, it's a free personalized mask that defines their identity, so they'll protect it to the end. I don't have even the slightest faith of any kind that I will convince anyone here that some of the products they use are bad for them. I only jumped on here because they were attacking you.

For your last paragraph, my terms are population control scientists and corporate marketing studies. However, sugar is very good for you, their whole "recommended amount" is based on it, and they're doing the same thing with salt. Americans consume less salt then they need, especially considering they don't eat any, it's all salt-extract, and in any quantity that is extremely detrimental to health, especially the heart (while actual salt is prescribed by doctors in Europe for heart problems and high blood pressure). Sugar does not hurt you like white sugar, it's perfectly safe, and they're trying to cut down on anything that makes us healthy by turning it into poison and then banning it bit by bit. C'mon, it was on t.v. An intelligent person should assume that there is a lie somewhere in it.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
Lol

You are right.
From my experience...not enough salt in a body can cause big problems too.  My mom suffered from hyponatremia. What a nightmare. And, I think, the lack of iodized salt in a diet is problematic too.  Look how much thyroid disease people suffer with now.  Almost everyone I know takes Synthroid.  What's with that?  Just as a low blood sugar can as easily kill you as a high blood sugar.  Probably faster.  I think all things in moderation.  People should use commonsense about their food intake.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 10:12:52 AM »
You are right.
From my experience...not enough salt in a body can cause big problems too.  My mom suffered from hyponatremia. What a nightmare. And, I think, the lack of iodized salt in a diet is problematic too.  Look how much thyroid disease people suffer with now.  Almost everyone I know takes Synthroid.  What's with that?  Just as a low blood sugar can as easily kill you as a high blood sugar.  Probably faster.  I think all things in moderation.  People should use commonsense about their food intake.

The irony is that both "right" and "left" are repeating the population control scientists' claims that sugar kills the tummy and salt kills the heart, and neither will say that what's doing the killing is the corporations that own their stations, who don't sell salt or sugar.

Again, there is no moderate amount of carcinogenic toxic sludge crumbs or mutilated food extract. I splurge on salt, and eat it with my half dozen eggs (which you guys even repeated their insane nonsense about), and that's the best thing possible for continued male development, and my heart and cholesterol are perfect, and I barely work out now other than pull-ups.

Food=good, sludge=bad. Too much sugar will make you fatter, OK, and it acidifes the blood which improves the fungus candida's ability to survive, which causes certain types of cancer, but you have to be a real fatty to eat that much. However, the tea spoon of toxic sludge crumbs in your coffee just wreaked havoc on your reproductive system, heart, digestive system, and increased the chance that you will get cancer.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/sugar-problem/refined-sugar-the-sweetest-poison-of-all

SUGAR: HARMFUL TO HUMANS AND ANIMALS

Shipwrecked sailors who ate and drank nothing but sugar and rum for nine days surely went through some of this trauma; the tales they had to tell created a big public relations problem for the sugar pushers. This incident occurred when a vessel carrying a cargo of sugar was shipwrecked in 1793. The five surviving sailors were finally rescued after being marooned for nine days. They were in a wasted condition due to starvation, having consumed nothing but sugar and rum. The eminent French physiologist F. Magendie was inspired by that incident to conduct a series of experiments with animals, the results of which he published in 1816. In the experiments, he fed dogs a diet of sugar or olive oil and water. All the dogs wasted and died.3

The shipwrecked sailors and the French physiologist's experimental dogs proved the same point. As a steady diet, sugar is worse than nothing. Plain water can keep you alive for quite some time. Sugar and water can kill you. Humans [and animals] are "unable to subsist on a diet of sugar".4 The dead dogs in Professor Magendie's laboratory alerted the sugar industry to the hazards of free scientific inquiry. From that day to this, the sugar industry has invested millions of dollars in behind-the-scenes, subsidized science. The best scientific names that money could buy have been hired, in the hope that they could one day come up with something at least pseudoscientific in the way of glad tidings about sugar.

It has been proved, however, that (1) sugar is a major factor in dental decay; (2) sugar in a person's diet does cause overweight; (3) removal of sugar from diets has cured symptoms of crippling, worldwide diseases such as diabetes, cancer and heart illnesses. Sir Frederick Banting, the codiscoverer of insulin, noticed in 1929 in Panama that, among sugar plantation owners who ate large amounts of their refined stuff, diabetes was common. Among native cane-cutters, who only got to chew the raw cane, he saw no diabetes. However, the story of the public relations attempts on the part of the sugar manufacturers began in Britain in 1808 when the Committee of West India reported to the House of Commons that a prize of twenty-five guineas had been offered to anyone who could come up with the most "satisfactory" experiments to prove that unrefined sugar was good for feeding and fattening oxen, cows, hogs and sheep.5

Food for animals is often seasonal, always expensive. Sugar, by then, was dirt cheap. People weren't eating it fast enough. Naturally, the attempt to feed livestock with sugar and molasses in England in 1808 was a disaster. When the Committee on West India made its fourth report to the House of Commons, one Member of Parliament, John Curwin, reported that he had tried to feed sugar and molasses to calves without success. He suggested that perhaps someone should try again by sneaking sugar and molasses into skimmed milk. Had anything come of that, you can be sure the West Indian sugar merchants would have spread the news around the world. After this singular lack of success in pushing sugar in cow pastures, the West Indian sugar merchants gave up.

With undaunted zeal for increasing the market demand for the most important agricultural product of the West Indies, the Committee of West India was reduced to a tactic that has served the sugar pushers for almost 200 years: irrelevant and transparently silly testimonials from faraway, inaccessible people with some kind of "scientific" credentials. While preparing his epochal volume, A History of Nutrition, published in 1957, Professor E. V. McCollum (Johns Hopkins university), sometimes called America's foremost nutritionist and certainly a pioneer in the field, reviewed approximately 200,000 published scientific papers, recording experiments with food, their properties, their utilization and their effects on animals and men. The material covered the period from the mid-18th century to 1940. From this great repository of scientific inquiry, McCollum selected those experiments which he regarded as significant "to relate the story of progress in discovering human error in this segment of science [of nutrition]".

Professor McCollum failed to record a single controlled scientific experiment with sugar between 1816 and 1940. unhappily, we must remind ourselves that scientists today, and always, accomplish little without a sponsor. The protocols of modern science have compounded the costs of scientific inquiry. We have no right to be surprised when we read the introduction to McCollum's A History of Nutrition and find that "The author and publishers are indebted to The Nutrition Foundation, Inc., for a grant provided to meet a portion of the cost of publication of this book". What, you might ask, is The Nutrition Foundation, Inc.? The author and the publishers don't tell you. It happens to be a front organization for the leading sugar-pushing conglomerates in the food business, including the American Sugar Refining Company, Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, Curtis Candy Co., General Foods, General Mills, Nestlé Co., Pet Milk Co. and Sunshine Biscuits-about 45 such companies in all. Perhaps the most significant thing about McCollum's 1957 history was what he left out: a monumental earlier work described by an eminent Harvard professor as "one of those epochal pieces of research which makes every other investigator desirous of kicking himself because he never thought of doing the same thing".

In the 1930s, a research dentist from Cleveland, Ohio, Dr. Weston A. Price, traveled all over the world-from the lands of the Eskimos to the South Sea Islands, from Africa to New Zealand. His Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects,6 which is illustrated with hundreds of photographs, was first published in 1939. Dr. Price took the whole world as his laboratory. His devastating conclusion, recorded in horrifying detail in area after area, was simple. People who live under so-called backward primitive conditions had excellent teeth and wonderful general health. They ate natural, unrefined food from their own locale. As soon as refined, sugared foods were imported as a result of contact with "civilization," physical degeneration began in a way that was definitely observable within a single generation. Any credibility the sugar pushers have is based on our ignorance of works like that of Dr. Price.

Sugar manufacturers keep trying, hoping and contributing generous research grants to colleges and universities; but the research laboratories never come up with anything solid the manufacturers can use. Invariably, the research results are bad news. "Let us go to the ignorant savage, consider his way of eating and be wise," Harvard professor Ernest Hooten said in Apes, Men, and Morons.7 "Let us cease pretending that toothbrushes and toothpaste are any more important than shoe brushes and shoe polish. It is store food that has given us store teeth." When the researchers bite the hands that feed them, and the news gets out, it's embarrassing all around. In 1958, Time magazine reported that a Harvard biochemist and his assistants had worked with myriads of mice for more than ten years, bankrolled by the Sugar Research Foundation, Inc. to the tune of $57,000, to find out how sugar causes dental cavities and how to prevent this. It took them ten years to discover that there was no way to prevent sugar causing dental decay. When the researchers reported their findings in the Dental Association Journal, their source of money dried up. The Sugar Research Foundation withdrew its support. The more that the scientists disappointed them, the more the sugar pushers had to rely on the ad men.

This is really incredibly dumb.  In so many ways..  I'm not going to bother right now to point out the flaws.  Maybe some other day.

But you and people like you who "put their faith in" (see what I did there?) nonsense like this will not allow yourselves to be persuaded by logic or rationality. Because this junk confirms your biases.  So it's almost pointless.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »

Forget about using poison to cure cancer. Just do what Steve Jobs did and meditate it away.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2011/10/24/steve-jobs-cancer-treatment-regrets/
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 10:58:11 PM »
According to virtually all sources the average American consumes more than 2X the recommended daily allowance of Sugar.

Do you aspire to be an "average American?"  (Is mediocrity and poor health appealing to you?)

Or do you aspire to be healthy?

The choice is yours.  It is everyone's choice.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 11:04:41 PM »
According to virtually all sources the average American consumes more than 2X the recommended daily allowance of Sugar. I have looked at a variety of studies and most indicate that sugar contributes to many health problems. Also there are studies which confirm that sugar (beyond what a healthy body requires) causes tumor growth (in people with cancer).

Can you provide evidence for your statement 'That is leftwing nonsense spread by leftists who are afraid of the boogeyman and of cooties in our food.'?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22617559

But I don't add any sugar in my food.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774