Author Topic: The Emerging Health Threat of Sugar  (Read 11437 times)

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: The Emerging Health Threat of Sugar
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »
This is really incredibly dumb.  In so many ways..  I'm not going to bother right now to point out the flaws.  Maybe some other day.

But you and people like you who "put their faith in" (see what I did there?) nonsense like this will not allow yourselves to be persuaded by logic or rationality. Because this junk confirms your biases.  So it's almost pointless.

Admittedly, I can tear it up too, and I'd tell whoever wrote the article to stay off my side. All you need to see is the black paste that will be white "sugar" before they bleach it, and IT MAKES YOU LESS MAN, and that's argument enough for me. To start with attacking the article, many other foods that acidify your blood will kill you if consumed solely, and they have no way of knowing if the sailors died of dehydration, or otherwise, and it's attacking sugar in general, which is the left-wing population control scientist platform, equally bad to the right wing ones, and they both work together for the same goal, the name I call them.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2014, 11:07:52 PM »
*Shiver*. Shaking in my boots. Let's play a guessing game. On a scale from 1 to I don't give a [censored], try to guess how much I care?

If you want to converse with the adults of this forum, you should drop the obscenity routine.  We are civil here.  And you set a bad example for kids who might be reading with your foul language.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:10 AM »
Some people are very naive in that they trust that the corporations and the scientists really care about the people. Again and again it has been demonstrated that in virtually every case the corporations care about the bottom line (making profit, damn the customer) and scientists care less about science and more about making $$$$.

I just hope some of these naive folks grow up soon before they realize it too late.

Maybe we should talk about 'climate change' scientists and who they report to. I do not believe in 'human created' global warming (although anyone with a brain knows that the Earth has gone through several warming and cooling periods in history). But the scientists are screaming at the top of their lungs, and the politicians are the ones driving the research. They are creating an entire industry around the 'global warming' myth. And they all are scientists with degrees from prestigious colleges.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2014, 12:46:02 AM »
I don't know if this video is any good, it is on the corruption of climate change science (but runs 2hrs+)..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 12:48:27 AM »
Muman, I am very sorry to read about your sugar addiction. I would say to pray to Hashem to help you and to give you strength to cut down. Don't start cold turkey, just start cutting down. I am concerned, because if you drink that much sugar a day, it may lead to some big problems later. Please cut down!
I starting to take Xylitol, by the way. I know "fake sugar" is not good. I rather moderately take some sugar with my coffee or tea than use fake sugars. I used to use Splenda all the time, now if I use sweetener it's moderate sugar (and I brush my teeth right after or chew on xylitol gum) or just use xylitol sweetener. Why do I go on about xylitol? Because as it turns out, xylitol has no effect on teeth. I used stevia and went running back to sugar.

Sugar is not good, but it is delicious. It's impossible to just give it up. I believe more in limiting sugar each day and occasionally reward myself with a decadent sugary dessert or ice cream once on the weekends. But to be honest, EVERYTHING turns into sugar. To cut down on refined sugar, however, is the question and it is not the same as natural sugars (like fruit) which is good. Pasta and alcohol also turn into sugar.

Also, honestly speaking, Shabbos and Yontif = a lot of decadent sugar deserts and things that turn into sugar. It's just not possible to flat out ignore sugar but, it should be used in moderation. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2014, 12:53:55 AM »
Muman, I am very sorry to read about your sugar addiction. I would say to pray to Hashem to help you and to give you strength to cut down. Don't start cold turkey, just start cutting down. I am concerned, because if you drink that much sugar a day, it may lead to some big problems later. Please cut down!
I starting to take Xylitol, by the way. I know "fake sugar" is not good. I rather moderately take some sugar with my coffee or tea than use fake sugars. I used to use Splenda all the time, now if I use sweetener it's moderate sugar (and I brush my teeth right after or chew on xylitol gum) or just use xylitol sweetener. Why do I go on about xylitol? Because as it turns out, xylitol has no effect on teeth. I used stevia and went running back to sugar.

Sugar is not good, but it is delicious. It's impossible to just give it up. I believe more in limiting sugar each day and occasionally reward myself with a decadent sugary dessert or ice cream once on the weekends. But to be honest, EVERYTHING turns into sugar. To cut down on refined sugar, however, is the question and it is not the same as natural sugars (like fruit) which is good. Pasta and alcohol also turn into sugar.

Also, honestly speaking, Shabbos and Yontif = a lot of decadent sugar deserts and things that turn into sugar. It's just not possible to flat out ignore sugar but, it should be used in moderation.

Shalom IsraeliHeart,

Thank you so much for your empathy, I appreciate it.

I think I am making progress. Yesterday and today I only drank about 7 cokes (down from 12). I am drinking more water than normal, and cold water sure is good. Sometimes I feel like so much coke is making me dehydrated (I think this is a known effect) and I wake up thirsty every morning.

But I am cutting down once again. And I am praying for help in keeping myself healthy. When you start to feel 'OLD" (I am going to be 50 in January, and I know 'that's not old' cause I hear it all the time at minyan) but I feel old because of these health issues.

Thank you once again,

PS: My mom's doctor has told her to cut down on pasta (and my step dad who is currently in late stage cancer)...

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2014, 01:14:34 AM »
Good!! I'm glad to hear of it. Keep going, don't give up! You should continue to drink more water like you are doing, I'm trying to drink more as well.
I am overall dehydrated and I know the "feeling old" feeling. I'm trying to live healthier. Although I should not feel "old" since I'm in my early 30s- my ex (who is 49 btw) is a lot healthier than I am. It's not a matter of age to feel good.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2014, 01:25:47 AM »
In other 'news'.... Tonight I had to pick up some things at the grocery store and I bought some 'sugar free' Oatmeal cookies.

I hope they taste good..

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2014, 06:48:51 AM »

Do not touch splenda ever for your own sake. Xylitol is fine. http://blog.isowhey.com.au/2011/05/10/sugar-white-vs-raw-vs-brown-the-answers/

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »
Some people are very naive in that they trust that the corporations and the scientists really care about the people. Again and again it has been demonstrated that in virtually every case the corporations care about the bottom line (making profit, damn the customer) and scientists care less about science and more about making $$$$.

I just hope some of these naive folks grow up soon before they realize it too late.

Maybe we should talk about 'climate change' scientists and who they report to. I do not believe in 'human created' global warming (although anyone with a brain knows that the Earth has gone through several warming and cooling periods in history). But the scientists are screaming at the top of their lungs, and the politicians are the ones driving the research. They are creating an entire industry around the 'global warming' myth. And they all are scientists with degrees from prestigious colleges.

Some people are naive enough to believe that other people choose for them, and that their health is not in their own hands.  Some are naive enough to blame others for their own poor health and eating decisions.  Don't be one of those people.  Stop being one of those people.    It is not the fault of scientists that you are addicted to soda.    You need to quit blaming other people and perhaps try a 12 step program to overcome your addiction.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »
Some people are naive enough to believe that other people choose for them, and that their health is not in their own hands.  Some are naive enough to blame others for their own poor health and eating decisions.  Don't be one of those people.  Stop being one of those people.    It is not the fault of scientists that you are addicted to soda.    You need to quit blaming other people and perhaps try a 12 step program to overcome your addiction.

That's low. You're making an ad homenim attack on him because he brings up information about scientific fraud in response to your ad campaign for big pharma, and are basically saying that he's making up the fact that the population control scientists release do-it-yourself population control studies, in order to excuse his addiction. Then you make him feel like he's just putting his problems on you, and not trying to expose scientific fraud.

You need to learn how to debate with a little class. I may be vulgar, but I don't attack unless there's an attack. Also, I don't ignore arguments or belittle them by belittling anyone's credibility as a person.

Just admit you don't know much about the topic and move on, don't try to arrogantly force others to accept your ignorance by defaming those that speak out on it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2014, 09:46:57 PM »
That's low. You're making an ad homenim attack on him because he brings up information about scientific fraud in response to your ad campaign for big pharma, and are basically saying that he's making up the fact that the population control scientists release do-it-yourself population control studies, in order to excuse his addiction. Then you make him feel like he's just putting his problems on you, and not trying to expose scientific fraud.

You need to learn how to debate with a little class. I may be vulgar, but I don't attack unless there's an attack. Also, I don't ignore arguments or belittle them by belittling anyone's credibility as a person.

Just admit you don't know much about the topic and move on, don't try to arrogantly force others to accept your ignorance by defaming those that speak out on it.

Nonsense.

He made an ad hominem attack against all scientists, essentially scapegoating them as completely evil and motivated purely by money and greed only who would all justify evil behavior for the sake of money.  And in a conspiracy to purposely perpetrate evil. Wow a whole group of people generalized like that? It sounds like goebbels propaganda against Jews.   He also refuses to take responsibility but instead blames a vast conspiracy of scientists and coorporations forcing him to drink soda.

I enourage him to stop unfairly blaming "the scientists" (or the Jews) and start taking responsibility.
He is making the discocurse low with discriminatory, ignorant and inaccurate attacks against a huge group of many different individuals.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »
I know plenty about the subject as my previous comments clearly indicate, so there is. Nothing for me to "admit."

There are fraudulent people in every field..  that does not mean that every person is.  Or that an entire field is by nature.

If a software engineer wroking for the govt gave away security secrets to china in exchange for money (yes. That has happened) does that mean "all software engineers" are greedy traitors for hire?  That's the kind of idiotic logic we are dealing with here.   Just insanity.  But because muman blames scientists for his ailments and the world's he apparently thinks it is ok to scapegoat them. It's not.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2014, 12:33:56 AM »
Nonsense.

He made an ad hominem attack against all scientists, essentially scapegoating them as completely evil and motivated purely by money and greed only who would all justify evil behavior for the sake of money.  And in a conspiracy to purposely perpetrate evil. Wow a whole group of people generalized like that? It sounds like goebbels propaganda against Jews.   He also refuses to take responsibility but instead blames a vast conspiracy of scientists and coorporations forcing him to drink soda.

I enourage him to stop unfairly blaming "the scientists" (or the Jews) and start taking responsibility.
He is making the discocurse low with discriminatory, ignorant and inaccurate attacks against a huge group of many different individuals.

You make things up out of nothing. Nowhere did I say that all scientists are corrupt. But my point, which totally slipped your mind, is that there are industries which have paid to cover up facts which could be detrimental to the industry. This has occured, and continues to occur, in the tobacco, sugar, pharma, and weather industries.

You can deny it all you like but it doesn't change the facts.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2014, 12:36:47 AM »
I know plenty about the subject as my previous comments clearly indicate, so there is. Nothing for me to "admit."

There are fraudulent people in every field..  that does not mean that every person is.  Or that an entire field is by nature.

If a software engineer wroking for the govt gave away security secrets to china in exchange for money (yes. That has happened) does that mean "all software engineers" are greedy traitors for hire?  That's the kind of idiotic logic we are dealing with here.   Just insanity.  But because muman blames scientists for his ailments and the world's he apparently thinks it is ok to scapegoat them. It's not.

LOL... Again you are reacting without thinking... You are biased and you don't want to admit that there has been a lot of misinformation spread in the name of science.

Nowhere did I blame scientists for my problems. I do blame them for making sugar and other foods appear less dangerous than they actually are. But you don't care about facts, you just seem to want to defend something which is indefensible, and try to attack my character. I know fools like you, and I don't respect your so-called 'scientific' knowledge.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2014, 12:38:26 AM »
Nonsense.

KWRBT, you argue like an imbecile. Why do you make stuff up and attempt to say I said it. Nowhere have I ever blamed the 'Jews' for any of this. What is wrong with you?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2014, 12:39:56 AM »

You know nothing and your comments here in this thread are ignorant.

Also your analogy is non sequitur (has no application to the issue). The software industry does not pay 'scientists' to fudge numbers and data... So what are you trying to say here? Straw man? Non-Sequitur...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2014, 12:43:03 AM »
My purpose for this thread to is alert people who should know how dangerous consumption of this product is... Sugar consumption is costing this country a great deal in medical costs due to the unhealthy conditions it contributes to.

30 years ago we were given the impression, from the scientists and marketing, that the sugar was not a hazard to our health. They increased its use in many products which most people didn't even consider having sugar in it. Today we know things because some scientists have spoken up about the threats the scientists who are not paid by the sugar lobby.

But I will cease arguing with you. You obviously are biased and can only resort to personal attacks rather than address the issue. You have only supported those who acted with malicious intent which makes me wonder if you can be trusted to work in any scientific endeavor. There is such a thing as scientific ethics, something you appear to not have taken seriously.

I am a computer SCIENTIST and got my degree in this field. I know about science and fully trust hard sciences which can be demonstrated through repeatable experiments.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2014, 01:27:11 AM »
More scientific evidence that the food industry employed scientists who were biased in order to minimize any appearance of health hazards...

http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.1001578

Abstract

Background

Industry sponsors' financial interests might bias the conclusions of scientific research. We examined whether financial industry funding or the disclosure of potential conflicts of interest influenced the results of published systematic reviews (SRs) conducted in the field of sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs) and weight gain or obesity.

Methods and Findings

We conducted a search of the PubMed, Cochrane Library, and Scopus databases to identify published SRs from the inception of the databases to August 31, 2013, on the association between SSB consumption and weight gain or obesity. SR conclusions were independently classified by two researchers into two groups: those that found a positive association and those that did not. These two reviewers were blinded with respect to the stated source of funding and the disclosure of conflicts of interest.

We identified 17 SRs (with 18 conclusions). In six of the SRs a financial conflict of interest with some food industry was disclosed. Among those reviews without any reported conflict of interest, 83.3% of the conclusions (10/12) were that SSB consumption could be a potential risk factor for weight gain. In contrast, the same percentage of conclusions, 83.3% (5/6), of those SRs disclosing some financial conflict of interest with the food industry were that the scientific evidence was insufficient to support a positive association between SSB consumption and weight gain or obesity. Those reviews with conflicts of interest were five times more likely to present a conclusion of no positive association than those without them (relative risk: 5.0, 95% CI: 1.3–19.3).

An important limitation of this study is the impossibility of ruling out the existence of publication bias among those studies not declaring any conflict of interest. However, the best large randomized trials also support a direct association between SSB consumption and weight gain or obesity.

Conclusions

Financial conflicts of interest may bias conclusions from SRs on SSB consumption and weight gain or obesity.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »
LOL... Again you are reacting without thinking... You are biased and you don't want to admit that there has been a lot of misinformation spread in the name of science.

Nowhere did I blame scientists for my problems. I do blame them for making sugar and other foods appear less dangerous than they actually are. But you don't care about facts, you just seem to want to defend something which is indefensible, and try to attack my character. I know fools like you, and I don't respect your so-called 'scientific' knowledge.

You should put your money where your dirty mouth is and opt to forego all medical advvances of the 20th and 21st century because they were all developed by scientists whom you say misrepresent the facts.   It's pure hypocrisy because you would never have the balls to let an illness (chas vveshalom) go untreated. And that would be pretty dumb.  There are scientists who study all sorts of subjects.  Your claim that all those who study food or sugar are paid dishonest shills for corporations is a low blow and very ignorant.  I don't respect stupidity or the attempt to perpetuate it in the forum.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2014, 03:48:49 PM »
You should put your money where your dirty mouth is and opt to forego all medical advvances of the 20th and 21st century because they were all developed by scientists whom you say misrepresent the facts.   It's pure hypocrisy because you would never have the balls to let an illness (chas vveshalom) go untreated. And that would be pretty dumb.  There are scientists who study all sorts of subjects.  Your claim that all those who study food or sugar are paid dishonest shills for corporations is a low blow and very ignorant.  I don't respect stupidity or the attempt to perpetuate it in the forum.

You seem to have some serious problems with comprehension. Ill let you consult with your doctors about it.

The fallacious comments in your posts are laughable. I dont have time for dim-wits.

I never said 'all' of anything, this is your problem with reading and understanding... The facts remain, despite your protestation, that corruption of science goes on in the food and other industries...

If you really feel I have said 'all scientists are corrupt' I suggest you try to find the post where I said such a thing. Never said it..

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »

Then you're either a self-disrespecting Jew, you never reread your posts or you can't recognize it. Really, Muman has a dirty mouth now? Ironically, it's dirty accusing him of that after everything.

Watch out cashiers will try to steal some of your money. The florist is aaaalways going to push for the overpriced one. Car salesmen always try to sell you the useless extras.

The sentences you may have just read could come up in your lifetime in the form of a piece of advice. Now if you organize the salvation army to protest with you and beat drums with the hippies because you plan to be that man who draws the line in the sand for florist abuse, as much as you scream "you shall not pass" it doesn't change the fact that we're talking about jobs, not people, and that's how you can get screwed over by that job.

There are lots of good scientists and doctors too. We wouldn't know that there are bad scientists and doctors if there weren't good scientists and doctors, because no one else would be qualified to speak out on the subject. People in any position of power or usefulness can be useful or pretend to be useful and really screw you over. It's your job to make sure you know how they might screw you over so that you can avoid that. There are bad dentists out there too. Go there first for a cleaning then go to the good dentist for your surgery.

Some scientists and doctors screw people over. There's a lot that are good people, but it's like being in an environment surrounding with the option and the visual and auditory encouragement to purchase and/or consume it. Already, the weak ones go in round 1, then there's enough with the bad ones to swing the middle, and the top don't want to loose their jobs, and some fields, and Muman pointed out one which has completely became like that, environmental science, and in a field like that, there is no place for the truth and the doctor or scientist who speaks against it is by default against the system.

Some jobs have a lot of corruption, some have less. Muman never said scientists and Jews are nazis, and you said the pharmaceutical industry is run by the Dalai Lama and the Pillsbury doughboy so you decided to bring him down to your level where you know enough to argue and say Muman promotes the boogeyman to eat the poor scientists' and doctors' (who shouldn't be making my food in the first place) kids. Muman clearly said he was obligated to take medication to function normally. You said he discounts all medical advances of the 20th century. There's so many jokes I could make about it, it's doubly funny, but still not funny enough for me to do anything other than groan over how stupid that is.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »
Then you're either a self-disrespecting Jew, you never reread your posts or you can't recognize it. Really, Muman has a dirty mouth now? Ironically, it's dirty accusing him of that after everything.

Watch out cashiers will try to steal some of your money. The florist is aaaalways going to push for the overpriced one. Car salesmen always try to sell you the useless extras.

The sentences you may have just read could come up in your lifetime in the form of a piece of advice. Now if you organize the salvation army to protest with you and beat drums with the hippies because you plan to be that man who draws the line in the sand for florist abuse, as much as you scream "you shall not pass" it doesn't change the fact that we're talking about jobs, not people, and that's how you can get screwed over by that job.

There are lots of good scientists and doctors too. We wouldn't know that there are bad scientists and doctors if there weren't good scientists and doctors, because no one else would be qualified to speak out on the subject. People in any position of power or usefulness can be useful or pretend to be useful and really screw you over. It's your job to make sure you know how they might screw you over so that you can avoid that. There are bad dentists out there too. Go there first for a cleaning then go to the good dentist for your surgery.

Some scientists and doctors screw people over. There's a lot that are good people, but it's like being in an environment surrounding with the option and the visual and auditory encouragement to purchase and/or consume it. Already, the weak ones go in round 1, then there's enough with the bad ones to swing the middle, and the top don't want to loose their jobs, and some fields, and Muman pointed out one which has completely became like that, environmental science, and in a field like that, there is no place for the truth and the doctor or scientist who speaks against it is by default against the system.

Some jobs have a lot of corruption, some have less. Muman never said scientists and Jews are nazis, and you said the pharmaceutical industry is run by the Dalai Lama and the Pillsbury doughboy so you decided to bring him down to your level where you know enough to argue and say Muman promotes the boogeyman to eat the poor scientists' and doctors' (who shouldn't be making my food in the first place) kids. Muman clearly said he was obligated to take medication to function normally. You said he discounts all medical advances of the 20th century. There's so many jokes I could make about it, it's doubly funny, but still not funny enough for me to do anything other than groan over how stupid that is.

Since according to him all the pharma companies push addictive treatments in order to harm people and get them addicted, and they are corrupt and evil doing anything for a profit, it is extremely hypocrticial of muman to claim that but simultaneously take medicine which he BENEFITS from.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2014, 02:36:27 AM »
Since according to him all the pharma companies push addictive treatments in order to harm people and get them addicted, and they are corrupt and evil doing anything for a profit, it is extremely hypocritical of muman to claim that but simultaneously take medicine which he BENEFITS from.

Why is everything you say a logical fallacy? It's like saying it's hypocritical for smokers to say cigarette companies put bad things in cigarettes because they enjoy them. Muman's probably got the right idea about wasting time.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »
Why is everything you say a logical fallacy? It's like saying it's hypocritical for smokers to say cigarette companies put bad things in cigarettes because they enjoy them. Muman's probably got the right idea about wasting time.

It shows his portrayal of pharma is a caricature and not true.   The logical fallacy was when you equated "enjoying cigarettes" even though they are bad and the makers don't care if they're bad (all true) with "gaining health benefits from medicines made by people u and muman claim are supposedly bad and make things to purposely harm people."   The health benefits belie the claim!

Enjoyment of cigarettes doesn't change they are unhealthy and the makers are purposely putting out unhealthy things people enjoy.   Must I explain everything to you?