Author Topic: To Those Of You who Type in Eboncs...  (Read 28368 times)

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: To Those Of You who Type in Eboncs...
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2007, 06:27:42 PM »
Why can't black people learn how to speak correctly, Erica?  There are people in my law school who practically speak in ebonics and you can barely even tell what they're saying.  Why can immigrants come to the U.S. and learn how to speak perfectly (like my Russian friend who moved here 10 years ago and speaks perfectly) but black people can't?
Why are you generalizing, once again? Its not as if NO black person speaks proper English.

Second, I've gone through this question before and I was called stupid for bringing the answer to the forefront. Ebonics is similar to slave speak. You heard it in Negro Spirituals, and some speeches. You also heard it from Southern Whites of yester-year. When Africans were 'brought' to America, the ony languages they knew of was from their own land. It would have sounded like Ebonics to anyone who wasn't from where they came from.

WHen they learned to speak broken English to communicate with their masters, they developed a new way of speaking. It wasn't good because it wasn't proper English...it wasn't bad, either because at least they could communicate a little. As for why ebonics is spoken so much now in the black community, I don't know for sure. But I'll offer that the ancestors from the South had something to do with the dumbing down of black society where language is concerned.People were told they couldn't go to school, so they didn't. People were told that they couldn't read, so they didn't. The cycle continues today. I hope to rid our public schools of ebonics..I can start with my class though.
Oh no  :o it's the slave speak negro spiritual thing again... ;D
ANd you still didn't read the entire post did you...once again. Let me highlight a few things for you....

That be right on - sista - I dun tol ya -  I read a little bit but not enough to hurt me none. 
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Erica

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2007, 06:30:42 PM »
Why can't black people learn how to speak correctly, Erica?  There are people in my law school who practically speak in ebonics and you can barely even tell what they're saying.  Why can immigrants come to the U.S. and learn how to speak perfectly (like my Russian friend who moved here 10 years ago and speaks perfectly) but black people can't?
Why are you generalizing, once again? Its not as if NO black person speaks proper English.

Second, I've gone through this question before and I was called stupid for bringing the answer to the forefront. Ebonics is similar to slave speak. You heard it in Negro Spirituals, and some speeches. You also heard it from Southern Whites of yester-year. When Africans were 'brought' to America, the ony languages they knew of was from their own land. It would have sounded like Ebonics to anyone who wasn't from where they came from.

WHen they learned to speak broken English to communicate with their masters, they developed a new way of speaking. It wasn't good because it wasn't proper English...it wasn't bad, either because at least they could communicate a little. As for why ebonics is spoken so much now in the black community, I don't know for sure. But I'll offer that the ancestors from the South had something to do with the dumbing down of black society where language is concerned.People were told they couldn't go to school, so they didn't. People were told that they couldn't read, so they didn't. The cycle continues today. I hope to rid our public schools of ebonics..I can start with my class though.
ANd you still didn't read the entire post did you...once again. Let me highlight a few things for you....

That be right on - sista - I dun tol ya -  I read a little bit but not enough to hurt me none. 
I'm not your sister, and since you hate ebonics so much, I wouldn't have expected you to act like a child. That just told me a lot about you. When someone dosen't say what you want them to say, you act childish. I can't agree with you unless I'm saying your exact words.

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2007, 06:34:28 PM »

I'm not your sister, and since you hate ebonics so much, I wouldn't have expected you to act like a child. That just told me a lot about you. When someone dosen't say what you want them to say, you act childish. I can't agree with you unless I'm saying your exact words.
You go girl

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2007, 06:36:57 PM »
ok everyone ease up on Erica.
As confused as she is she's not that bad.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »
I agreed with you - I read a little bit but not enough to hurt me none - and I know we are not sisters - I'm white despite what you thought.  
JB - I'm beginning to think confusion is not Erica's problem - so fold up your log and leave us alone.  ;)

Erica

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2007, 07:19:39 PM »
I agreed with you - I read a little bit but not enough to hurt me none - and I know we are not sisters - I'm white despite what you thought.  
JB - I'm beginning to think confusion is not Erica's problem - so fold up your log and leave us alone.  ;)
The thing is, bullcat. I don't want people here associating with me here thinking that its okay to speak to me in ebonics just because I'm black. I showed enough respect to you not to come in here like that; representing that 'evil black' culture you all hate..so I didn't. It wasn't too much to ask. I ask the same of people I meet on the street.

And I didn't ask that you read a 'little bit' but that you understand I'm on your side. Everytime I say something here its scrutinized because it wasn't in the exact words that YOU and some other people here speak. And to be sisters, we don't have to be of the same race. There are white families who adopt black kids, and vice-versa. What I was trying to convey to you is that I'm not your 'sista' because I didn't come off to you or anyone else that way. Why is that so hard to understand?

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2007, 07:37:11 PM »
Lets not get uppity whitey, and logs don't am fold wat dee hells do you am think it be a beach chair.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2007, 08:04:26 PM »
As you said, this is a public forum. INTERNET.

but you don't understand that do you?
Yes, but apparently YOU don't understand it.  I didn't come here to be on some fake dating show where I 'get to be' hooked up with a racist idiot. What I'm saying is that JB has no respect for what I hold dear in my life. Not that he is at all interested in me for real, but he isn't respecting that part of me at all.
Ok if that's how you feel we will have to break it off, it's over but we can always be just friends but someone once told me a man and a woman can never be just friends.

Whoever told you that was very smart. very smart  ;D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2007, 08:12:51 PM »
Then drag it behind you, raise it up over your shoulder, or stick it in a bowling bag...  

newman

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2007, 08:19:14 PM »
Then drag it behind you, raise it up over your shoulder, or stick it in a bowling bag...  

Thanks for the other idea about our log business, Bullcat!

" Uncle JB's genuine negro, story-tellin', settin' logs. Each one comes with it's own bowling bag or totin' wheels. The ideal conversation piece for any guilt-ridden, white-liberal home!"

From NewCat Enterprises.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2007, 08:32:32 PM »

" Uncle JB's genuine negro, story-tellin', settin' logs. Each one comes with it's own bowling bag or totin' wheels. The ideal conversation piece for any guilt-ridden, white-liberal home!"

From NewCat Enterprises.
Are you sure you won't pose for a picture that we can put on the box JB?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »

From NewCat Enterprises.
For black customers don't forget the Mr. Knox bowling bag for carrying watermelons home on the QT
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2007, 09:17:12 PM »

From NewCat Enterprises.
For black customers don't forget the Mr. Knox bowling bag for carrying watermelons home on the QT
Great marketing idea CJD!
 ...and our bowling bag is all purpose...do you want to hide the fact that you're totin a watermelon home?  The Mr. Knox bowling bag will do the trick.

Do you have a picture of Mr. Knox?  It sounds like he was less uppity then JB.

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2007, 09:51:44 PM »
As you said, this is a public forum. INTERNET.

but you don't understand that do you?
Yes, but apparently YOU don't understand it.  I didn't come here to be on some fake dating show where I 'get to be' hooked up with a racist idiot. What I'm saying is that JB has no respect for what I hold dear in my life. Not that he is at all interested in me for real, but he isn't respecting that part of me at all.
Ok if that's how you feel we will have to break it off, it's over but we can always be just friends but someone once told me a man and a woman can never be just friends.

Whoever told you that was very smart. very smart  ;D
Yes the person that told me that is smart but he had a lapse in judgment for a couple of years of so I'm trying to remember if that's when he told me that.

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2007, 10:00:14 PM »

Yous forget tat be work and I's no work like dat.

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2007, 10:02:34 PM »

From NewCat Enterprises.
I don't tink so I git a piece of dee action, or you can put dat dam cats pickture on dee log let sees how many sell with a cat with a melon on its hear, I don't think so you need a darkie or the liberals won't go for dat.

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2007, 10:04:11 PM »

From NewCat Enterprises.
No No you don't use a bag yous just roll it ahead of you and every body think it just a run away melon.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2007, 10:04:16 PM »

Yous forget tat be work and I's no work like dat.
Then you would be a great customer for the totin wheels!  Not much work with totin wheels.  

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2007, 10:05:05 PM »

From NewCat Enterprises.
Great marketing idea CJD!
 ...and our bowling bag is all purpose...do you want to hide the fact that you're totin a watermelon home?  The Mr. Knox bowling bag will do the trick.

Do you have a picture of Mr. Knox?  It sounds like he was less uppity then JB.
I's can see you whiteys just don't know nutin about no logs

newman

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2007, 10:05:43 PM »

From NewCat Enterprises.
I don't tink so I git a piece of dee action, or you can put dat dam cats pickture on dee log let sees how many sell with a cat with a melon on its hear, I don't think so you need a darkie or the liberals won't go for dat.

I'll give you $5 same as Uncle Ben. Plus a 25 pc KFC Bucket. That's MORE than Uncle Ben ever got.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2007, 10:06:30 PM »

From NewCat Enterprises.
No No you don't use a bag yous just roll it ahead of you and every body think it just a run away melon.
 ;D That might work on the farm but not in the big city.

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2007, 02:12:24 PM »
WHY in the HELL do you do that? You do know that I'm the only black person (opposite your views) who is here that doesn't use ebonics to communicate with anyone here, right? What are you trying to prove?

I type in ebonics sometimes just so I don't feel left out ;)

Erica

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »
WHY in the HELL do you do that? You do know that I'm the only black person (opposite your views) who is here that doesn't use ebonics to communicate with anyone here, right? What are you trying to prove?

I type in ebonics sometimes just so I don't feel left out ;)
Don't you find it odd that the one black person present, moi ,isn't typing in Ebonics but most of the white people here jump at the chance? If Ebonics is so dumb, why are YOU doing it?

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2007, 04:06:47 PM »
You know why they do it.  ;)

Erica

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2007, 04:09:18 PM »
You know why they do it.  ;)
Why? Are they expecting me to crack up and start rattling off unintelligible non-words because I'm black?