Author Topic: Man, that sucked!  (Read 8624 times)

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
Re: Man, that sucked!
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 10:25:44 PM »
Why don't we leave a portion of the forum open and allow all certified non-jewish members to post there?

Well it is  a Jewish forum, I don't think that we as non- Jews should force our beliefs on the site, although the forum being down drove me up the wall lol. Let us respect the rules as they are. :)
No peace, without FREEDOM.

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 10:26:31 PM »
I was getting JTF Forum withdrawl symptoms.

You are not alone lol !!!

newman

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 10:28:25 PM »
Why don't we leave a portion of the forum open and allow all certified non-jewish members to post there?

Good point.

Religion and ethnicity could be established during registration and the forum programmed not to admit Jews during Shabbat or Holidays.

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 10:31:01 PM »

Good point.

Religion and ethnicity could be established during registration and the forum programmed not to admit Jews during Shabbat or Holidays.

Newman is that possible ? I really did miss this forum.

newman

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 10:33:55 PM »

Good point.

Why not?

Just have an extra box that members tick on registration that says "Jewish/ Non-Jewish" and programm a tempory 'ban' on the ones who tick "Jewish" on Shabbat/ Holidays. It can't be that hard to do.

Offline The Shadow

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2007, 10:35:57 PM »
I like Zev!  When I first signed up, I wrote him with questions about how to post on the forum and he wrote me back right away and explained everything.  

I like Scriabin too!  Scriabin is a good guy who strongly supports the movement also.  

I just think we shouldn't hassle each other for everything single thing we post.  We all need to hang loose (including myself) , so we can remain tight.    

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2007, 10:37:12 PM »

Good point.

Why not?

Just have an extra box that members tick on registration that says "Jewish/ Non-Jewish" and programm a tempory 'ban' on the ones who tick "Jewish" on Shabbat/ Holidays. It can't be that hard to do.

Yes but, I am a Christian, and I am aware of those that would come on the forum and start trying too convert Jews. We would need honest Mods to stop such an attempt. That's my real concern.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2007, 10:38:44 PM »
Listen, jpost online also didn't put up new news for the Yom Kippur...so why should this forum even be open on Yom Kippur or possibly Shabbat?  I'm not an Orthodox observant Jew, but I have to say that it was a good move to have the forum closed...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2007, 10:46:42 PM »
There's no practical way to program seperate rules for Jews and Gentiles on the forum. It just wouldn't work.

I know it's hard to be without the forum for 25 hours or so every week. But we will get used to it, and it may teach us to appreciate the forum even more.

newman

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 10:48:38 PM »

Good point.

Why not?

Yes but, I am a Christian, and I am aware of those that would come on the forum and start trying too convert Jews. We would need honest Mods to stop such an attempt. That's my real concern.

I don't see a problem......at least no more than we have the rest of the week. There are enough noachides and decent christians (like yourself) to rip any missionaries a new one.

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2007, 10:49:16 PM »
There's no practical way to program seperate rules for Jews and Gentiles on the forum. It just wouldn't work.

I know it's hard to be without the forum for 25 hours or so every week. But we will get used to it, and it may teach us to appreciate the forum even more.

It may drive some members away. Then again, those that are devoted too JTF will stick around. G-d knows , I will. I really missed the Forum being down.

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2007, 10:50:10 PM »

Good point.

Why not?

I don't see a problem......at least no more than we have the rest of the week. There are enough noachides and decent christians (like yourself) to rip any missionaries a new one.

Oh indeed on that Newman. No doubt.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
    • AussieJTFer's Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 10:58:32 PM »
I doubt any Jew on here would have been on the computer on Yom Kippur. That and the forum was down almost half a day after Yom Kippur for us Jews in Australia. How do you decide which timezone to follow?

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2007, 11:04:19 PM »
Coffee is like a drug. It's a stimulant. Anything that artifically stimulates you is unhealthy, in my opinion. And I believe that most medical studies show that coffee in any quantity is not good for you. There are always medical studies showing the opposite conclusion for any food or drink. You have medical studies showing that saturated fat and cholesterol do not affect health, but the vast majority of medical studies show that they do very much affect health. So people just have to draw logical conclusions.

What about tea?

Tea is full of anti-oxidants and very good in the oppinion of many. Stay away from decaf' tea, though. They use bleach to decaffinate it!

Of course there is always naturally decaffeinated tea, particularly green tea, that is very healthy.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2007, 02:09:48 AM »

I was more interested in taking Exedrines than eating when the fast was over. Well I paid for the "sin" of daily coffees.  ::)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 01:05:44 PM »

The fasting suuuuuucked for me, I have a raging caffiene addiction, and without my morning fix I got a massive withdrawl headache.  :o

You know what Chaim would say: Your headache is your body's way of warning you not to drink coffee anymore. Coffee really is unhealthy.

It's good in moderation (like most things) . I saw some research where 1 or 2 coffees per day reduced heart disease. Aspirin is good in low doses, too but 10 per day as opposed to 1 is dangerous.

This is one post I am in full agreement with you :)

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 01:06:36 PM »
I think it was appropriate to close down the forum for the most sacred Jewish day of the year.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2007, 01:09:09 PM »
Zev, Chaim does allow moderators to disagree with his decisions. Scriabin has a right to his opinion.

I know that Scriabin can disagree with his decision and that he has a right to his opinion.  I still think that it's not a good example to set.  I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, I was simply stating my opinion.   

I think you overreacted to my post, Scriabin. 

I think Scriabin was venting a feeling more than he was expressing an opinion on forum policy.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2007, 01:10:09 PM »

That's funny, I was getting food withdrawal symptoms :)

I find it interesting that the Christains on here are complaining about having feelings of withdrawal from the forum. My only advice would be, next year, try going without food during this time. That would certainly cure your feelings of missing the forum and certainly put things in perspective :)

I don't think it would be advisable or necessary to close down the forum during the sabbath. But I think that Yom Kippur is definitely the one time during the year that it would be appropriate to close down the forum.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 01:14:47 PM by Daniel »

Offline Bodhi

• Full JTFer
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 11:55:28 AM »
Coffee is like a drug. It's a stimulant. Anything that artifically stimulates you is unhealthy, in my opinion. And I believe that most medical studies show that coffee in any quantity is not good for you. There are always medical studies showing the opposite conclusion for any food or drink. You have medical studies showing that saturated fat and cholesterol do not affect health, but the vast majority of medical studies show that they do very much affect health. So people just have to draw logical conclusions.

I don't think there's anything wrong with moderate consumption of coffee, tea, or alcohol......It's just like fire, it can warm you up, but it can also burn down your house if you don't give it respect.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2007, 12:32:49 PM »
Quote from: Daniel link=topic=9088.msg89979#msg89979 date=
Quote from: ItalianZionist link=topic=9088.msg89593#msg89593 date=

That's funny, I was getting food withdrawal symptoms :)

I find it interesting that the Christains on here are complaining about having feelings of withdrawal from the forum. My only advice would be, next year, try going without food during this time. That would certainly cure your feelings of missing the forum and certainly put things in perspective :)

I don't think it would be advisable or necessary to close down the forum during the sabbath. But I think that Yom Kippur is definitely the one time during the year that it would be appropriate to close down the forum.
How long does the fast last?
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2007, 12:37:31 PM »
I fasted! I'm a Goy, but I wanted to see if I could do it. Not eating or drinking for 25 hours is a sin for an Italian!  ;D  Interesting experience though, very humbling.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2007, 12:44:55 PM »
I fasted! I'm a Goy, but I wanted to see if I could do it. Not eating or drinking for 25 hours is a sin for an Italian!  ;D  Interesting experience though, very humbling.
;D
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2007, 12:51:01 PM »
;D

I'm the wrong guy to ask, but there must be some sort of special blessing you brought upon yourself, as a non-Jew who fasted on Yom Kippur.  :)

Religous guys? Got some insight for us?
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2007, 12:57:34 PM »
I think that the forum was closed was because it was a holiday and someone last week complained that someone was working on the forum on a Sabbath and Rosh Hansonah.